Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Opiods

Trump is going after China because they cause our drug problem or is it Mexico?
Perhaps he should look closer to home at Big Pharma.
Opiods used to be an inner city problem largely with heroin until 10 to 15 years ago.

Over the past 15 years, the rate of opioid pain reliever (OPR) use in the United States has soared. From 1999 to 2011, consumption of hydrocodone more than doubled and consumption of oxycodone increased by nearly 500%. During the same time frame, the OPR-related overdose death rate nearly quadrupled. According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the unprecedented increase in OPR consumption has led to the “worst drug overdose epidemic in [US] history”. Given the magnitude of the problem, in 2014 the CDC added opioid overdose prevention to its list of top five public health challenges.
Another important feature of the opioid addiction epidemic is the relationship between OPR use and heroin use. According to the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 4 out of 5 current heroin users report that their opioid use began with OPRs. Many of these individuals appear to be switching to heroin after becoming addicted to OPRs because heroin is less expensive on the black market. For example, in a recent sample of opioid-addicted individuals who switched from OPRs to heroin, 94% reported doing so because OPRs “were far more expensive and harder to obtain”
Here is the whole report to read and yes, it's not new info
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10...-031914-122957

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Nebe

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that skyrocketing cost of living paired with wage stagnation and continued year after year education cuts are mostly to blame.
When you just barely graduate high school and can’t afford college and a house costs $300,000 which equates to a $1500 a month mortgage, the American dream seems unobtainable, so you want to escape it.
We can point fingers all we want but until people can earn a living and be proud to be able to succeed in life, there will be a drug problem.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that skyrocketing cost of living paired with wage stagnation and continued year after year education cuts are mostly to blame.
I think it's more a combination of over prescribing and people generally just zoning out these days. Pills especially aren't hard to get and easy to conceal. Your Dr prescribes them so how bad can it be?

Some years ago I went to the walk in for an injured toe that got infected. Also managed to trigger a gout attack. The Dr ignored the gout which was an easy diagnosis and instead prescribed me a giant bottle of hydrocodone for the pain. With hindsight it was really irresponsible on his part.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Some years ago I went to the walk in for an injured toe that got infected. Also managed to trigger a gout attack. The Dr ignored the gout which was an easy diagnosis and instead prescribed me a giant bottle of hydrocodone for the pain. With hindsight it was really irresponsible on his part.
That has changed in recent years, now they may give you 6 pills. They are locking it down some now, which is good.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I think it's more a combination of over prescribing and people generally just zoning out these days. Pills especially aren't hard to get and easy to conceal. Your Dr prescribes them so how bad can it be?

Where are the pills now?
Still sitting in your medicine cabinet?
They should be disposed of

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

Where are the pills now?
hope he didn't give them to someone and then send them up on a ladder and scaffolding to paint or use power tools
Old 08-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
hope he didn't give them to someone and then send them up on a ladder and scaffolding to paint or use power tools
Well, when they fall they won't feel a thing, then they'll get a script for more, and workman's comp to pay for them.

Sounds like a win-win.....for somebody

Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Where are the pills now?
Still sitting in your medicine cabinet?
They should be disposed of
This was 8 or 10 years ago...it was a big bottle of liquid hydrocodone you could just nurse as you saw fit. It did make the pain go away
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

They have been going after pharma and those that prescribe recently, some from Fed level, some local.

This absolutely deserves discussion but how again is this Trump's fault?

But since you asked, a lot of drugs are moved in from Mexico and a LOT of the synthetic opioids are coming from China.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Wow, you really are letting this guy live rent free in your head.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-e...ies-1534438160

Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
Sea Dangles

How could Obama let this happen?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
How could Obama let this happen?
Bush’s Fault

Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

So now that you're interested
I brought this up because there was a painting contractor in Burlington, Vt who was "dealing"
He supplied his employees with drugs.
Sounds bad doesn't it
But think about it, they were showing up for work, gainfully employed, not stealing to get drug money, pretty much being good citizens.
He didn't make them addicts.
What he was doing is illegal, but is it immoral?
Maybe we need to go much further.
https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...ue-not-a-crime

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

Quote:
So now that you're interested
I brought this up because there was a painting contractor in Burlington, Vt who was "dealing"
He supplied his employees with drugs.
Sounds bad doesn't it
But think about it, they were showing up for work, gainfully employed, not stealing to get drug money, pretty much being good citizens.
He didn't make them addicts.
What he was doing is illegal, but is it immoral?
Maybe we need to go much further.
https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...ue-not-a-crime
With an outlook like this you could be mayor of Chicago.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

So now Enabling Addicts is an Honorable endevour.

Maybe instead of spending money on drugs to give them, he could have used the money to help them find treatment.

Sorry, I hope the guy rots in jail.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Do you realize that in this country it is easier for a doctor to prescribe Oxycodone then Suboxone and Buprenorphine?
We've been thru just say no, the War on Drugs and do you know of more people with issues than 30 years ago?
Some places in the world have been successful, we need to join them.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...orld-copied-it

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

I'd worry more about a kid, guest, niece or nephew.

Of course not in my family.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
I'd worry more about a kid, guest, niece or nephew.

Of course not in my family.
You mean like the time I found zip-loc full of Vicodin in a bathroom drawer???
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You mean like the time I found zip-loc full of Vicodin in a bathroom drawer???
Or black beauties?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #20
wdmso

No one cared about the opioid problem until it started killing Rich white kids on the cape and other communities

How do I know this I worked in a SEC35 state prison detox for 20 years and saw the demographic change coming thru the revolving door ... then came the concern prior to that it was city thing and no one gave a #^&#^&#^&#^&
Old 08-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
No one cared about the opioid problem until it started killing Rich white kids on the cape and other communities

How do I know this I worked in a SEC35 state prison detox for 20 years and saw the demographic change coming thru the revolving door ... then came the concern prior to that it was city thing and no one gave a #^&#^&#^&#^&
Then, I guess, we should be thankful to rich white kids for bringing attention to the problem. Otherwise the poor non-whites would be stuck in #^&#^&#^&#^&.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

Quote:

To say no one cared about is racist. If these folks who struggled with dependency were minority’s they certainly have family and friends who cared. To call them nobody’s seems a bit harsh. Sometimes it’s not a black and white issue. Sometimes a republican or democrat is not at fault. Unfortunate circumstances have to be dealt with regardless of who holds office.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Collegium Pharmaceutical COLL Develops abuse deterrent pain meds.... In Canton Mass. Worth a look for long term investment....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

It’s not just low income kids with no guidance. There are plenty of surprised and sad parents out there.
That contractor did not create addicts there were plenty already and treatment is not readily available, it needs to be easier and not cost more than drugs.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #25
Sea Dangles

So do you believe that Narcan use should be scrapped and just let these folks perish?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #26
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
But policy's and Money for treatment could be seen as racist along with the public view saw it as a inner city issue when in-fact minorities account for a tiny % of opioid related users in Massachusetts..
This could be seen as racist, that is racist, they are all racist, there is a dog whistle over there, Cops are racist. ICE is racist. CEOs are racist. Income inequality is racist. Opioids are racist.

When EVERYTHING is racist, nothing is.

Dunno, dropping of someone I know for their Soboxone I saw every walk and creed, looked like a frickin Bennetton Commercial from the 80s. But only SOME of them are racists.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
This could be seen as racist, that is racist, they are all racist, there is a dog whistle over there, Cops are racist. ICE is racist. CEOs are racist. Income inequality is racist. Opioids are racist.

Its getting real friggin old....

Old 08-23-2018, 03:55 AM   #28
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Dunno, dropping of someone I know for their Soboxone I saw every walk and creed, looked like a frickin Bennetton Commercial from the 80s. But only SOME of them are racists.

Sorry but the facts are hard to dispute ,, when drugs were an inner city issue like crack and dope the policy response was jail not treatment

Now its in White well off communities.. policy its about Treatment and halfway houses which are big money now .. again to think race isnt an influencer in policy ( not the main driver ) is like saying Votes arn't involved in the policy development ......
Old 08-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Sorry but the facts are hard to dispute ,, when drugs were an inner city issue like crack and dope the policy response was jail not treatment

Now its in White well off communities.. policy its about Treatment and halfway houses which are big money now .. again to think race isnt an influencer in policy ( not the main driver ) is like saying Votes arn't involved in the policy development ......
so you are saying that the democrats running the inner cities didn't care that their citizens were struggling with drug addiction and simply jailed them rather than providing them with the care that they needed?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
so you are saying that the democrats running the inner cities didn't care that their citizens were struggling with drug addiction and simply jailed them rather than providing them with the care that they needed?
how to box someone into a corner.

they should have made those cities, sanctuary cities for druggies.