Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Jim in CT

us economy grew 3.1% in 2018

Former Harvard president and Obama advisor Larry Summers, said believing that the economy could grow by 3% is fine, it’s like believing in the tooth fairy. When asked to comment on the fact that Trump delivered, he declined to comment. Probably hiding under his bed drinking hot toddies.

Trump is to be judged on a lot more than just the economy. But in this regard, he’s doing a great job.

Trump inherited a robust economy which many people thought was overdue for a recession. instead, it grew by more than 3% fornthe first time in 15 years.

Will CNN or MSNBC cover this?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

The economy will always be due for a recession. Soon.

But 3%, after some rocky potholed roads, is pretty good. Particularly when many (cough Obama cough) considered 2% the new normal and we'd better get used to it.

Probably the biggest thing Trump did was nothing; NOT over regulating private industry. Yes we need regulation but Dems tend to over regulate.

Quote:
Looking at the national jobs numbers, the first two years of the Trump Administration compare favorably with the last two years of the Obama Administration, with the nation’s employers adding about 28,000 more private sector jobs under Trump than under Obama.

The huge difference is in the manufacturing sector—a vital part of the economy that, after the initial bounce back from the deep recession a decade ago, fell into the doldrums under Obama. So much so that the former president said that those jobs “.”

Yet in Trump’s first two years, manufacturing jobs have grown at a 714% faster rate than under Obama’s last two years.

A big reason for the sluggish manufacturing job growth of previous years was the burdensome regulatory climate under Obama. This is partly reflected in the jobs numbers as well when, during Obama’s last two years, government added six times the employees of manufacturing. But under Trump, five times more manufacturing jobs were added than government jobs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#5f0f2fd27665

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Doing nothing to help the robust economy continue to grow is the best thing he has (hasn’t) done. Latest polling says 64% of Americans believe Trump committed crimes before taking office and 50% believe he has committed crimes while in office, confirming my belief the base and GOP are ok with the means justifying the ends. I suspect if Trump can’t win in 2020 he will be in deep sh*t as the only thing protecting him from the limit on prosecuting federal crimes is getting a second term. Those polls and the continued hearings over two years might eventually get the GOP to abandon the sinking Trump bull ship.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Sea Dangles

Thanks for the whataboutism.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Doing nothing to help the robust economy continue to grow is the best thing he has (hasn’t) done.
this is really dumb...
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Doing nothing to help the robust economy continue to grow is the best thing he has (hasn’t) done. Latest polling says 64% of Americans believe Trump committed crimes before taking office and 50% believe he has committed crimes while in office, confirming my belief the base and GOP are ok with the means justifying the ends. I suspect if Trump can’t win in 2020 he will be in deep sh*t as the only thing protecting him from the limit on prosecuting federal crimes is getting a second term. Those polls and the continued hearings over two years might eventually get the GOP to abandon the sinking Trump bull ship.
When every network except for one talks about nothing other than speculation of crimes he committed, people are going to believe it.

Trump also called a very sick man form my home town of West Haven CT, whose dream was to meet him. Just like Hitler would have done for the infirm.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Jim in CT

So according to Obama's economic advisor (Summers), Trump has achieved the impossible - 3% economic growth. And Summers has nothing to say. And people sell their homes and take out loans up to their eyeballs, to have their children "educated" by people so intellectually dishonest, they are physically incapable of admitting Trump did what they said he couldn't do.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is really dumb...
The tax cuts, re-regulation, and just the confidence that that the free market has areal ally in the Oval Office, none of that contributed to the growth.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
Nebe

Thanks trump.
Meanwhile I can’t deduct any donations that I have made to any fundraisers. I can’t deduct do many things I used to be able to deduct off my taxes.
If only I had a private jet I could deduct that now.
But I guess someone had to make up for the tax cuts for the billionaires.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
wdmso

despite more than two years of President Trump’s “America First” policies -- the United States last year posted a $891.2 billion merchandise trade deficit, the largest in the nation’s 243-year history.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Trump also called a very sick man form my home town of West Haven CT, whose dream was to meet him. Just like Hitler would have done for the infirm.
Great

I wonder who told him to do that since we know he has no empathy.

Let's not forget he once flew a sick child on his plane somewhere.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
wdmso

As usual Jim loves his needle in a haystack stories .. actually the avg Americans are still seeing nothing .. no matter how you hard you try to suggest otherwise

For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades

Even if the economy is on a roll, many Americans aren’t feeling the benefit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...D-544633EAFF05
Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Meanwhile I can’t deduct any donations that I have made to any fundraisers. I can’t deduct do many things I used to be able to deduct off my taxes.

great to hear you are paying your fair share
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Great

I wonder who told him to do that since we know he has no empathy.

that's pretty bitter...
Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
As usual Jim loves his needle in a haystack stories .. actually the avg Americans are still seeing nothing .. no matter how you hard you try to suggest otherwise

"Jim loves his needle in a haystack stories "

I love the whole truth, good and bad. I have posted plenty of negative (I cannot believe that Trump would say that Fatty in North Korea had no knowledge of what they did to Otto Warmbler, I can't believe Trump would say something so hurtful to his parents).

I post the good and the bad, I don't sweep the bad under the rug, not if it's true. What I dismiss, is the made-up stuff, of which there's plenty.

"the avg Americans are still seeing nothing "

So you're just making up garbage now? Most people saw some benefit from the tax cuts, most people are benefitting from the stock market performance since he's been in office, many are benefitting from lower unemployment and rising wages.

You bending over backwards to deny anything positive.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do you have to be dismissive of that? Lots of wealthy people (especially in CA where the kid lived, I think), have private jets, and any of them could have helped that gravely ill little boy. Trump stepped up. That doesn't erase all the terrible stuff he does. But the terrible stuff doesn't erase that gesture either.

You know who you sounded like? That piece of filth Pete Davidson on SNL, who made fun of Dan Crenshaw's missing eye, and then said "he got hurt in a war, or whatever".

You're way better than that.

How about we give honest praise when it's earned, and honest criticism when it's earned. Is that asking too much?
Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Duke41
got gas?

I love Trump can't wait to vote for him again. Shame on the Dems for the constant harassment. Cohen had zilch on Trump. What a tool. Absolutely nothing has been tied back to Trump. So either it did not happen or he is brilliant either way I am greatful every day for his presidency. Let the trolling begin.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Why do you have to be dismissive of that? Lots of wealthy people (especially in CA where the kid lived, I think), have private jets, and any of them could have helped that gravely ill little boy. Trump stepped up. That doesn't erase all the terrible stuff he does. But the terrible stuff doesn't erase that gesture either.

You know who you sounded like? That piece of filth Pete Davidson on SNL, who made fun of Dan Crenshaw's missing eye, and then said "he got hurt in a war, or whatever".

How about we give honest praise when it's earned, and honest criticism when it's earned. Is that asking too much?
I'm just providing a counterpoint to your statement. He has no history of being generous and you do know he got/is getting in trouble w/his foundation. i would feel very confident in betting someone that you give a higher % of your salary/earnings to charity than he does.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
I love Trump can't wait to vote for him again. Shame on the Dems for the constant harassment. Cohen had zilch on Trump. What a tool. Absolutely nothing has been tied back to Trump. So either it did not happen or he is brilliant or people are just blindeither way I am greatful every day for his presidency. Let the trolling begin.
You missed the check.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:

Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #21
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
I love Trump can't wait to vote for him again. Shame on the Dems for the constant harassment. Cohen had zilch on Trump. What a tool. Absolutely nothing has been tied back to Trump. So either it did not happen or he is brilliant either way I am greatful every day for his presidency. Let the trolling begin.
Your doing fine on your own
Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
"Jim loves his needle in a haystack stories "

You bending over backwards to deny anything positive.
No just bending back to center from where you bent it ..
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #23
wdmso

The federal deficit ballooned at start of new fiscal year, up 77 percent from a year before

Pesky facts trying to make Trump look bad ... booming economy 3 % growth how can this be ??? Deficit up 77%
Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
No just bending back to center from where you bent it ..

no, ignoring the good and fanatically obsessing over the bad, isn’t bringing anything back to the center.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #25
wdmso

Quote:
no, ignoring the good and fanatically obsessing over the bad, isn’t bringing anything back to the center.
Funny you cheerleading hasn’t mentioned the trade deficit or have you commented on the 77% increase in the deficit... once agin you see good and bad as equals parts of the story even when they clearly are not equal

Anyone can find some good even in losing .. but it doesn’t change the fact . It’s still a lost.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Funny you cheerleading hasn’t mentioned the trade deficit or have you commented on the 77% increase in the deficit... once agin you see good and bad as equals parts of the story even when they clearly are not equal

Anyone can find some good even in losing .. but it doesn’t change the fact . It’s still a lost.
i am
deeply concerned about the debt, have said so many times. a robust economy is one of the ways out of the home, controlling wasteful
spending is the other.

what “loss”
are you referring to? the gop is still up all over the map...
Old 03-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:

Your article is as much a "needle in a haystack" (or more) than what you claim Jim's is. What the "average" American "sees" depends on the source of information. If Americans see what you see, they are obviously limited in the scope of sources. Or they see only what they want to see.

I am not exceptionally different in economic status than the Average American. I "see" more money in my pocket than I had before and I'm not having to struggle to pay bills, buy what I want, and feel more than comfortable with my finances. I don't need a google article to tell me that I'm struggling. It sounds like google has no clue about this average American.

"Barely budged" is not bad, it's even OK or better than big. Large overall increases in pay are far more inflationary than small ones. Budging is reasonable advancement, if advancement is needed. Fact is, rising wages is one of the factors creating inflation. Market equilibrium is achieved by balancing prices with cost. If wages go up, prices will also.

A stagnant economy should have little inflation. In that respect, stagnancy is neither bad nor good. Simply, equilibrium is maintained. A more critical factor is employment vs. unemployment. Stagnancy with high unemployment, to put it mildly, is not good.

Obviously, the "decades" you refer to have nothing to do with Trump. More important during those decades was how good or how poor the employment numbers were. The stagnancy during Obama's administration was crushing because the safety net cost of high unemployment had to be absorbed by government, so the tax burden was raised and those who were employed had to shoulder the cost even though their wages did not grow. As well, government had to borrow more to fund the safety net, so costs were shifted as well to future generations. And with no, to little, hope that the economy would grow fast enough (the new normal that we were supposed to be happy with) to provide more employment, not only for the unemployed, but for the growing population, a public feeling, substantiated by actual conditions, of malaise and discontent was fostered.

Come the Trump booming economy with its huge improvement of employment numbers, and it is natural, predictable, that a market equilibrium inflation would occur. And it was a double whammy inflation. Not only were employment and wages up, but the previous administration's excessive QE money which had not filtered into business growth, now saw the possibility for bigger dividends by actually investing it in the real business growth that it originally was meant to spur. So that wash of money also helped to boost inflation.

The greatest benefit of Trump's tax and regulatory cuts was not the wage increases and lower taxes, but the expansion of employment numbers. That makes the inflation equilibrium less significant, and it reduces the public safety net cost. So now there is more public optimism than discontent--except for that discontent fostered by the naysayers that want to discredit any Trump success.

Yes, the economy is on a roll. Even your article admits that. And the many Americans that have the jobs created by that roll are absolutely feeling the benefit.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Latest polling says ....
"Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,120 voters nationwide(in 2016 around 157.6 million citizens were registered to vote) from March 1 to March 4. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points."
Old 03-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
"Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,120 voters nationwide(in 2016 around 157.6 million citizens were registered to vote) from March 1 to March 4. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points."
Right. The same pollsters who, in all honesty, convinced me that Hilary was going to win in a landslide.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
wdmso

GM to slash up to 15,000 jobs in North America; 7 plants could close as part of restructuring

. And the many Americans that have the jobs created by that roll are absolutely feeling the benefit.

booming economy 3 % growth 15,000 jobs lost clearly not these people feeling the benefit.

you will always have winners and loser and the min wage jobs are winning and what I call real jobs that provide a good wage and benefits are losing

Last edited by wdmso; 03-07-2019 at 11:05 AM..