Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Hookset

Waders

Sorry, I know this is not a plug building question... but

I have an old pair of breathable waders I am looking to replace. I want to stick with breathable but I am finding it impossible to keep the sand and gravel out of my boots due to the boot and neoprene booty combination. I have the flap that pulls over the laces, but it doesn't seem to help much. I have Korkers to put overtop of the boot, so dont need the boot to have studs.

I assume I should go with breathable waders with boot attached, any recommendations?
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Not precision pack. Mine leaked on the heels after 3/4 of a season. I have reddington stocking foots now. I went through three pairs of waders in 2-1/2 years. If I am really wading I wear a wetsuit now.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Hookset

good to know
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Linesider82

Could get gravel guards or buy an oversized pair of these New Balance Compression Sport Sleeve White - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways keep them on the waders above the built-in gravel flap, tie your boots, roll the flap down, then rolls these over it. Just a thought.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
fishbones

I'm not a fan of the boot foot waders for a few reasons, but mainly because I go through boots much faster than waders and don't want to buy the whole kit and kaboodle each time. Also, they never fit a well as the stocking foot and regular wading boot combination on me. I don't worry too much about the sand getting in, but as suggested earlier, you can always get the gravel guards and try them.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Mojo7
Mojo

LL Bean Rapid River waders are what I've used the last couple of seasons and they are awesome. They are breathable and have the flap that covers the top of your boot and I haven't had any trouble with mine. I mainly fish the canal but I also use them on the beaches. You see alot of guys down the canal using them.

You also can't beat LL Beans return policy. If you have any trouble with them just return them no problem.
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Hookset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo7 View Post
LL Bean Rapid River waders are what I've used the last couple of seasons and they are awesome. They are breathable and have the flap that covers the top of your boot and I haven't had any trouble with mine. I mainly fish the canal but I also use them on the beaches. You see alot of guys down the canal using them.

You also can't beat LL Beans return policy. If you have any trouble with them just return them no problem.
I have heard a lot of good things about the LL Bean waders
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Redsoxticket

The wader selection at llbean have been decreasing every year along with the know brands such as Simms. The Helix is the top llbean brand and most of the others are cheap. Time to look at other stores with similar type 100 % customer satisfaction. The days of decent waders are over at llbean, let's just hope that the 2013 wader selection is better.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
The wader selection at llbean have been decreasing every year along with the know brands such as Simms. The Helix is the top llbean brand and most of the others are cheap. Time to look at other stores with similar type 100 % customer satisfaction. The days of decent waders are over at llbean, let's just hope that the 2013 wader selection is better.
More llbean branded stuff for 2013
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
Redsoxticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
More llbean branded stuff for 2013
Since your in the know, will Simms be offered.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Hookset

It looks like the prices vary quite a bit, but I am not convinced that translates to quality. The pair I am replacing was bought at #^&#^&#^&#^&s about 10 years ago. I don't think the were much more than $70 bucks, yet many waders are $300 or more, are theynthat much better?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Since your in the know, will Simms be offered.
Not seeing them
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I dont fish waders much but i use the field and stream from #^&#^&#^&#^&s sporting goods, buy the 7 dollar warranty and return em every year for a new pair, their customer service is great or at least it has been for me. get em on sale and they are 50 to 90 bucks. mine will last one season but i only use em in the spring and very late fall, the rest of the time i wetsuit.

I use stocking foots with cabelas boots.

fishing the sand beaches sucks in most boot and wader combos, the sand will come in thru the drainage holes in the boots. only reason Ive thought about getting a pair of boot foot waders is fot the sand beaches only, but seeing I dont spend a lot of time on em I just put up with the sand in the boot.

the gravel guards do help and so do the waders that have the pull down flap over the boot that attaches to the bottom lace.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
JohnnySaxatilis

I have ll bean Rapid Rivers breathable stocking foot. Stocking foot and boot > bootfoot. just so much more comfortable for longer walks
I think I returned 3 pairs this past season, due to the OLDEEEE leaky crotch. Took all of 5 mins every time i came up and replaced them in mansfield. The guy mentioned under his breath they were havin a lot of problems with that model... finally got a size bigger the last time and didnt have any more problems rest of the year.
They're great in the summer, very light weight and comfy but you better have some layers on under em in the spring, fall/winter or you're a popsicle

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Hookset

Kids got me neoprene waders for Christmas from bass pro, I am looking at a pair of Simms freestone stocking foot with gravel guards. Little pricy at $199.... Easy come, easy go
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
striperman36
Old Guy

I'm going to try these this year. I wear seal attack boots that seal with a velcro strap at the top of the ankle

NRS Men's HydroSkin Pants at NRSweb.com

NRS Workboot Wetshoe at NRSweb.com
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about the LL Bean waders
I've had the breathables with the gravel guards for 4 years and love them. The boots not so much as I replaced them with Cabelas and put Wearbars on them.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote