Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Conservation Issues and Notices

Conservation Issues and Notices A new location to post Conservation Issues and Notices in place or or in addition to discussions on the Main Stripertalk Forum

Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
flatts1

Striper Bycatch

FYI:

http://atlanticstates.infopop.cc/eve...&m=27610505211

"Successful management of striped bass,
and all fish for that matter, is 90 percent
commonsense guesswork."
-- Ted Williams
flatts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
Fly Rod

After seeing the chart it amaszes me that the recreational striped bass fisherman is complaining about the commercial guy.

According to the chart commercial fishing only accounts for 20% of the catch, 5 million pounds while the recs keep 20 million pounds.

Talk about greed!!!!
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
schoolie monster

And how many recs make up the rec side, Flyrod?

Is that an even number of recreational anglers vs. commercial fishermen?

I'm one man... you are one man. Our take should be equal.

Don't use fuzzy math to say that the rec take should equal the comm take. If there are 10,000 times more recs out there, or a 100,000 times or whatever, than the recs take should be 10,000 or a 100,000 times more.

One man = one vote
one man = one fish

The rec take vs comm take argument is weak. We hear it every time.

Greed is one man wanting more than another. A single comm angler wants more access to the resource than a single rec angler. That is greed.

How many million recreational anglers our out there? Versus how many thousand commercial fisherman?
schoolie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
schoolie monster

I don't want to be totally negative... I think there is plenty of room for the rod and reel commercial fishery as it is. I agree that the real problem is the overfishing of forage species such as menhaden, pollution of habitat and commercial bycatch by draggers.

Rod and reel comms can release shorts alive and they don't kill other species by accident. Draggers kill without prejudice and those fish don't go against any quotas.

But that argument of comm vs rec freakin' burns me every time I hear it.

Inherently, you are saying you are more entitled to that resource than I am. I don't get it.
schoolie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
Mainiac

schoolie monster you have hit the nail on the head. The reduction of prime forage species,especially pogies, is a major concern. Here in Maine we have not had a significant pogy run since 1990.Between the Russians and Japenese I'm surprised there are any pogies left.Funny how commercial fishermen neglect the raping of the sea ain't it.They just can't see how they have degraded the fish stocks.
Mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Don't jump all over flyrod, he was just making a statement... There are obviously less comm's then Rec.s, BUT if we are going to make a dent it total pounds caught, both sides need to take a look at it, not just cutting commercial catch...

That being said, I agree that forage species is very important, and hopefully managament will shift towards a more ecosystem based approach,
Bryan

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
MakoMike

Mainiac,
The ONLY commercial pigies fishing boat are in VA and they are entirely American owned, and fish in VA state waters.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
fishdog13
hey way right.

recreational striped bass fisherman is complaining about the commercial guy.

According to the chart commercial fishing only accounts for 20% of the catch, 5 million pounds while the recs keep 20 million pounds.

Talk about greed!!!!,. NOW THIS IS THE TRUTH. now let's increase the quota people. or you gunna let the fat libs take over . .you're choice.

fishdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote