Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #121
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Call any woman dogs lately?
Muslims don't like dogs, I can't see Jim throwing Obama that bone.

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #122
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your one of the most offensive persons in this forum. I've pointed it out before.

Call any woman dogs lately?
I called Maddow a half-beast (I wouldn't call her a dog, that would be an insult to dogs, my favorite animal) after, and only after, she repeatedly referred to Tea Partiers as tea-bagging racists on the air. There is literally zero evidence to back that up (we got Martin Luther King's niece to speak at our largest gathering), but Maddow knows it's a lot easier to call me a racist than it is to show her audience (all 12 of them) that I'm wrong..

I'm the most civil person you will ever meet, at first. I offer that civility until you spit it back in my face, which you have also repeatedly done. Paul, I coach my kids t-ball team, and no one is more dedicated to making sure they have fun. Until he died 2 weeks ago, my golden retriever and I visited hospice patients every Sunday evening for 10 years. I love people, and care deeeply about them, and I bet I give more time and money to charity than most here. However, i will not sit by like a toilet with teh seat up, and let the real hate mongers crap all over me. I always play fair at first. But throw a few cheap elbows at me, and you won't like the outcome.

Spence, I have never, ever, implied Obama is a Muslim. I have said, multiple times, I wish he were. I learned a lot more about Islam when I was in Iraq than you will ever know, and let me tell you, it can be beautiful. I wish Obama were Muslim, because that would be a lot easier for me to accept than his lifelong devotion to Black Liberation Theology, which is based on hate and racism.

Spence, you can keep trying to paint me as an irrational extremist. I'm the most rational person I know, I'm a mathematician at heart, which means the foundation of my thought process is gathering irrefutable fact, and then figuring out the most likely explanation for those facts. That's how I solve every single problem I confront, every single one. Objectively and open-mindedly, with a little bit of Catholic compassion thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-29-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #123
PaulS

sorry about your dog passing.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #124
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You have been completely, and I mean completely, annihilated.

2% increase in debt! Zimmy says that Obama has only increased debt by 2%, so there's no need for concern!
you might not want to rate how you have annihilated someone. You might be a bit biased.

By the way, I never said Obama raised the debt by 2% . You may think you are good at math, but your reading comprehension was a bit off.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #125
Jim in CT

Quote:
sorry about your dog passing.
A most sincere thanks. His name was Scout, he was great hiking partner, a great fishing partner, and man was he incredible with hospice patients (he was a certified pert therapy dog). I've been a dog-lover since I was a kid, no one has ever seen a dog like him.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #126
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
you might not want to rate how you have annihilated someone. You might be a bit biased.

By the way, I never said Obama raised the debt by 2% . You may think you are good at math, but your reading comprehension was a bit off.

OK, so what was your point? That his debt increase was 2% more than Bush's debt increase?

If that's what your point was, it has very little validity. First, we don't repay "percentages", we repay absolute dollars. Second, during the Bush years, we were dragged into a war, you may have heard something about that. Debt typically shoots up when you enter a war. Bush, as I said, also saved 1.2 million lives in Africa (for which, in a fair world, he would have received the Nobel Peace Prize, instead he gets called a racist), and THAT'S worth going into debt for. Giving teachers insane pensions is not worth breaking the bank for, in my humble opinion.

By the end of 2012, the debt will be around $15 trillion. That's a 50% increase over what he inherited. And what do we have to show for it? Bush built an anti-terror infrastructure from scratch, saved 1.2 million Africans from AIDS (for which he gets almost zero credit), and liberated millions of Muslims worldwide, from other, monstrous, Muslims.

Obama has kept killing terrorists, I give him big-time kudos for that. But he doesn't understand high-school level economics. Obama, like most liberals, believes that poverty is caused by other people's wealth. That can only be true if wealth is finite, like a pizza. That is demonstrably false, since GDP changes over time. You help poor people by giving them the tools they need to get wealthier, not by giving them someone else's money. Obama also doesn't seem to understand that there are limits to what you can reasonably borrow.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #127
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Second, during the Bush years, we were dragged into a war, you may have heard something about that. Debt typically shoots up when you enter a war.
1. Taxes typically go up as well to cover the costs, not down (i.e. the Bush tax 'cuts'
2. We were "Dragged" into 1 war (Afganastan). We went willingly into a second (Iraq), which many feel was not warranted.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #128
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I start the best threads.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #129
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Or the worst.

It will be better then you become a gun toting texas republican...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #130
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
1. Taxes typically go up as well to cover the costs, not down (i.e. the Bush tax 'cuts'
2. We were "Dragged" into 1 war (Afganastan). We went willingly into a second (Iraq), which many feel was not warranted.
"1. Taxes typically go up as well "

Ah, you may want to check your facts. Taxes, in terms of dollars collected (which in the end is all that matters) DID go up during the Bush years, even though tax rates went down (because the economy grew more than tax rates went down, and EVERYONE wins in that situation). That's another thing that Obama, and liberals, don't get. If you want to raise tax revenue (dollars collected), raising tax rates isn't always the answer. Tax dollars collected aren't maximized at tax rates of 100%, because people stop working before that.

"We were "Dragged" into 1 war "

Correct.

"We went willingly into a second (Iraq), which many feel was not warranted"

Also correct. I was there, and I feel pretty good when I get the letters from families whose futures are infinitely improved. Let's remember that it wasn't just conservatives who willingly entered that war, the Senators who voted in favor included Clinton, Edwards, Biden, Schumer, Boxer, Kerry...All liberals, who fully suported the war (until the political winds changed, and then they acted like they were dragged into it against their will, which is a despicable thing to do).
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #131
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
"1. Taxes typically go up as well "

Ah, you may want to check your facts. Taxes, in terms of dollars collected (which in the end is all that matters) DID go up during the Bush years, even though tax rates went down (because the economy grew more than tax rates went down, and EVERYONE wins in that situation).
If it is that simple why did the economy start to tank during the second half of Bush's second term? I'll restate it. Revinue was increased to pay the costs of war, fairer statement? These are still largely unfunded, unpaid for wars, no?

Quote:
"

Also correct. I was there, and I feel pretty good when I get the letters from families whose futures are infinitely improved. Let's remember that it wasn't just conservatives who willingly entered that war, the Senators who voted in favor included Clinton, Edwards, Biden, Schumer, Boxer, Kerry...All liberals, who fully suported the war (until the political winds changed, and then they acted like they were dragged into it against their will, which is a despicable thing to do).
I'm sure you and everyone else did a lot of good.
I stand by my opinion, which has been consistant. There were other ways to deal with Iraq, that did not equate to a decade long ground war.

Bryan

Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #132
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
You mean hearing him say it on the interview?
No, knowing him as Governor and the kind of guy he is.
Pretty obviious if he said it or not.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #133
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
If it is that simple why did the economy start to tank during the second half of Bush's second term? I'll restate it. Revinue was increased to pay the costs of war, fairer statement? These are still largely unfunded, unpaid for wars, no?

I'm sure you and everyone else did a lot of good.
I stand by my opinion, which has been consistant. There were other ways to deal with Iraq, that did not equate to a decade long ground war.
"If it is that simple why did the economy start to tank during the second half of Bush's second term?"

Of course it's not that simple. Cutting tax rates doesn't always increase revenue. But Obama keeps saying that if he raises tax rates by x%, we'll get X% more revenue. The goal (and it's challenging) should be to grow the economy, so that you can raise revenue by decreasing rates. I don't hear Obama suggesting that. All I ever hear from him, in terms of addressing debt, is hiking up rates on the wealthy. As you said, it's not that simple. I know it's not as simple as saying revenue changes with rates, but Obama doesn't seem to know that. Why is that?

"Revinue was increased to pay the costs of war, fairer statement? These are still largely unfunded, unpaid for wars, no?"

Absolutely correct. One of those wars was to destroy Al Queda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. The other was to remove someone who was repeatedly violating the terms of the UN resolution he signed. Very, very expensive (I bet it cost me more than it cost you). And one can make a compelling argument that it wasn't worth the cost or the blood.

"I'm sure you and everyone else did a lot of good."

Thank you...

"why did the economy start to tank during the second half of Bush's second term?"

SUBPRIME MORTGAGES. Liberals, not conservatives, put pressure on banks to give mortgages to people who had zero hope of repaying them. Then those crappy mortgages were bundled and invested in ways that almost nobody understands (derivitives, credit default swaps). Lots of blame to go around on both sides for the investment side of it.

Put it this way. The economy grew like crazy, starting in Clinton's second term. What did he do to make that happen? He balanced the budget, cut taxes, cut spending. He also (very bravely in my opinion) told millions of healthy, lazy Americans on welfare to get back to work. Do you know what they did? THEY WENT BACK TO WORK. The economy grew like crazy, unemployment was so low my dog could have gotten hired at a Fortune 500 company. Quite simply, it worked.

We need to learn from past mistakes. Not just conservative mistakes, but liberal mistakes too. The liberal states in New England are in horrible shape. Here in CT, our solution was to implement the largest tax hike in the history of our state last July (and they made the increases retroactive to January 1, so we had to be double the increase for the rest of that year!), and we increased spending. Meanwhile, we continue to give public labor unions a blank check. On the federal level, liberals refuse to accept the reality (sad reality, but still reality) that we have to cut Social Security and Medicare. There literally is no choice. The math shows we will never have enough tax revenue to fund promised benefits. I wish we could solve all our problems by tweaking tax rates on zillionaires. That accomplishes nothing. But to hear Obama, you'd think that was the answer to our prayers.

Where am I wrong or unreasonable?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #134
spence

Quote:
Where am I wrong or unreasonable?
Unreasonable.

You're ignoring the single largest factor in the 1990's economic growth which was investment driven not by low taxes but by the Internet bubble and low oil prices.

Coming off of this, a rise in foreign wealth looking for better returns the derivatives market. The money needed a home so the finance wonks built one.

People can #^&#^&#^&#^&er all they want about which ideology contributed more to the infrastructure for the credit bubble, but the reality is that bigger trends shaped this mess.

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #135
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Unreasonable.

You're ignoring the single largest factor in the 1990's economic growth which was investment driven not by low taxes but by the Internet bubble and low oil prices.

Coming off of this, a rise in foreign wealth looking for better returns the derivatives market. The money needed a home so the finance wonks built one.

People can #^&#^&#^&#^&er all they want about which ideology contributed more to the infrastructure for the credit bubble, but the reality is that bigger trends shaped this mess.

-spence
Spence, I'm not ignoring the Internet bubble or energy prices. And similarly, the economic growth during Bush's first 7 years was largely fueled by real estate values increasing (and low interest rates). I admit those all played a part. I'm not ignoring anythiing. Unlike you, I don't ignore that which doesn't serve my agenda.

YOU ARE THE ONE ignoring the reality that the Clinton and Bush tax cuts (and the increased consumer demand that is the inevitable result) also helped fuel the economy. You must ignore that fact, because for you to admit that fact would be to admit that conservatives have some good ideas, and you cannot ever bring yourself to admit that. Earth to Spence...individuals spend their own money much more effeciently than the feds.

Spence, on the issue of taxes...can you name a large economy, based on high federal taxes, that is thriving? There is only one...Norway. And Norway does it by exploiting every drop of oil they have. Obama wants Norway's tax rates, without their oil. That's what we have here in Connecticut. It's not working out so well.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #136
Jim in CT

Quote:
Unreasonable.

-spence
"Coming off of this, a rise in foreign wealth looking for better returns the derivatives market. The money needed a home so the finance wonks built one."

Oh Spence? You are forgetting that the derivitives market was once sufficiently regulated to prevent what happened with subprime mortgages. The repeal of that regulation was signed by that right-wing nut Bill Clinton. If that regulation had been left in place, the subprime mortgage bust would not have been nearly so bad.

A republican congress wrote that bill, Clinton signed it. That's why I say plenty of blame for both sides. I doubt you'd ever say anything so fair. Or astute, for that matter.

You also seem to be ignoring the effect of the subprime mortgages themselves. You choose to ignore this, because you know it makes your side look stupid. If banks were allowed to enforce underwriting standards, none of this would have happened.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #137
zimmy

Quote:
A couple times I have had to say, "now wait, they are attacking Jimmy now?"

Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #138
spence

Quote:
Spence, I'm not ignoring the Internet bubble or energy prices. And similarly, the economic growth during Bush's first 7 years was largely fueled by real estate values increasing (and low interest rates). I admit those all played a part. I'm not ignoring anythiing. Unlike you, I don't ignore that which doesn't serve my agenda.
Why didn't you mention it then?

Quote:
YOU ARE THE ONE ignoring the reality that the Clinton and Bush tax cuts (and the increased consumer demand that is the inevitable result) also helped fuel the economy. You must ignore that fact, because for you to admit that fact would be to admit that conservatives have some good ideas, and you cannot ever bring yourself to admit that. Earth to Spence...individuals spend their own money much more effeciently than the feds.
No, I'm just appreciating the other factors. The short-term effect tax rates have on the economy is really dependent on many factors, it's not a simple up or down...that's the ideology talking. Republicans are full of all sorts of nonsense on this issue.

Quote:
Spence, on the issue of taxes...can you name a large economy, based on high federal taxes, that is thriving?
Australia, Brazil, Germany etc...

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #139
zimmy

Quote:
Obama wants Norway's tax rates, without their oil.
You sure say a lot of untrue stuff for someone who likes to ask where you are wrong all the time. Or was this quote hyperbole, too?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #140
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

I'm the most civil person you will ever meet, at first. I offer that civility until you spit it back in my face, which you have also repeatedly done. Paul, I coach my kids t-ball team, and no one is more dedicated to making sure they have fun. Until he died 2 weeks ago, my golden retriever and I visited hospice patients every Sunday evening for 10 years. I love people, and care deeeply about them, and I bet I give more time and money to charity than most here. However, i will not sit by like a toilet with teh seat up, and let the real hate mongers crap all over me. I always play fair at first. But throw a few cheap elbows at me, and you won't like the outcome.
Yup, like most of the conservatives I know, when it comes to charity,
walk the walk, not just lip service.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #141
Jim in CT

Quote:
You sure say a lot of untrue stuff for someone who likes to ask where you are wrong all the time. Or was this quote hyperbole, too?
Zimmy, do you deny that Obama's vison of America includes higher tax rates and less oil production? Are you going to deny that? If so, please remember to open the windows when you are painting inside.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #142
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why didn't you mention it then?

No, I'm just appreciating the other factors. The short-term effect tax rates have on the economy is really dependent on many factors, it's not a simple up or down...that's the ideology talking. Republicans are full of all sorts of nonsense on this issue.

Australia, Brazil, Germany etc...

-spence
Brazil!! You're going to hold up Brazil as a place we should emulate? Brazil, where they are putting an oil well in everyone's back yard!!! Spence, if you want to be like Brazil and exploit our natural resources in a smart way, you have my support.

Spence likes Brazil's economic model, which is based entirely on oil production!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #143
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Yup, like most of the conservatives I know, when it comes to charity,
walk the walk, not just lip service.
When you have the time, google a study/book called "Who Really Cares", which is the definitive statistical study on who are the most charitable types of people.

Turns out, conservatives give more time to charity, more money to charity, and donate more blood, than liberals. Even though conservatives have, on average, less wealth than liberals do! Which makes sense, as conservatism i sstrong in the rural South, liberalism is strong among the sophisticated swells.

Liberals like to donate someone else's money to charity. not their own....

Here's a summary of the data. Sppence will tell us not to believe it, since it is presented by that right-wing media outlet, ABC.

Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #144
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

chicks are pretty hot in brazil

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #145
zimmy

Quote:
chicks are pretty hot in brazil
Wise man once told me prior to a trip to Rio De janeiro, "taking your wife to Rio is like bringing a grain of sand with you to the beach."

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #146
spence

Quote:
Oh Spence? You are forgetting that the derivitives market was once sufficiently regulated to prevent what happened with subprime mortgages. The repeal of that regulation was signed by that right-wing nut Bill Clinton. If that regulation had been left in place, the subprime mortgage bust would not have been nearly so bad.
I don't think derivative market regulations were designed to tolerate the MASSIVE amount of sub-prime risk that was injected into the system from 2002-2006. Regulatory changes helped grease the skids, but it was the allure of high returns that was the engine behind the meltdown.

Quote:
A republican congress wrote that bill, Clinton signed it. That's why I say plenty of blame for both sides. I doubt you'd ever say anything so fair. Or astute, for that matter.
Go back and read all my old threads on the issue.

Quote:
You also seem to be ignoring the effect of the subprime mortgages themselves. You choose to ignore this, because you know it makes your side look stupid. If banks were allowed to enforce underwriting standards, none of this would have happened.
As we've beaten to death, lending influenced by the CRA made up a fraction of the problem. Banks didn't want to enforce underwriting standards because they could take a profit for originating the loan then sell the risk. Given the demand for such securities there were few with any incentive to slow down the feeding frenzy.

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #147
zimmy

Quote:
Zimmy, do you deny that Obama's vison of America includes higher tax rates and less oil production? Are you going to deny that? If so, please remember to open the windows when you are painting inside.
Why do you always say something, then change it? You said he wants the tax rates of Norway. He has never once remotely pushed for tax rates of/like Norway. Your oil thing comment is just ridiculous. Oil production under Bush steadily dropped from 5.7 million bpd at his election to about 5.2 million bpd at the end of his term. Under Obama it has steadily grown back to where it was before Bush came into office and will be at 6 million bpd by the end of this year. I don't even want to argue whether it is a good or bad thing, but your claims don't hold up to reality.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #148
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do you always say something, then change it? You said he wants the tax rates of Norway. He has never once remotely pushed for tax rates of/like Norway. Your oil thing comment is just ridiculous. Oil production under Bush steadily dropped from 5.7 million bpd at his election to about 5.2 million bpd at the end of his term. Under Obama it has steadily grown back to where it was before Bush came into office and will be at 6 million bpd by the end of this year. I don't even want to argue whether it is a good or bad thing, but your claims don't hold up to reality.
Even if Obama has never said "I want higher taxes", if he does say "I want to increase the size and scope of the federal government", that's the same thing. You cannot add $5 trillion to the debt, in 4 years, and not expect taxes to increase. So unless he suggests that the Chinese are going to tear up all the I.O.U.'s we gave them, Obama knows, and is OK with the fact, that are taxes will skyrocket.

Zimmy, on the oil front...you are going to sit there and honestly claim that Bush wasn't more pro-oil than Obama is? Bush, who is from Texas? You're going to deny my claim that Obama isn't as pro-oil as Bush was?

It doesn't matter if we produce more oil now than we did before. Even if we do, it's certainly not because Obama supported the oil industry more than Bush did. Zimmy, more black babies are born out of wedlock today than 20 years ago. Is that because Obama encourages black men to knock up their women and take off?

Jesus God Almighty. I'm debating a guy who claims that Obama is a bigger friend to Big Oil than Bush. I have never, EVER, heard that one before.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #149
spence

Here's an interesting perspective, I'll bet the guy even owns a few pairs of skin boots...

Obama deserves credit for strong growth in energy industry - Houston Chronicle

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #150
Jim in CT

Quote:
Here's an interesting perspective, I'll bet the guy even owns a few pairs of skin boots...

Obama deserves credit for strong growth in energy industry - Houston Chronicle

-spence
Thanks Spence. The author of that piece is the director of somehting called the "Clean Energy Incubator", and he wrote a piece telling us how awesome Obama is.

Spence finds it an "interesting" perspective that a guy who is devoted to greem energy, praises Obama. Yes, Spence, you've really given us all something to think about.

This guy mentions "post partisan" approaach to energy. Yes, indeed. In trying to appeal to both sides, Obama rejected the Canadian pipeline (which conservatives wanted) and he gave $500 million to Solybdra, a privately held solar company. Yes, it's quite difficult to label Obama as either a conservative or liberal on this issue, he's REALLY straddling the fence, isn't he.

Funny, the author didn't bother to include any opinions from Gulf oil workers who lost their jobs when Obama shut down additional drilling in the Gulf. I cannot imagine why this was left out, Spence, can you offer any insight as to why?

When gas hits $5 a gallon this summer, and republicans show video of Obama claiming that high oil prices would actually be good for America (he has said that), let's see what happens!

You are precious Spence...simply precious...