Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #211
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
wow. You're amazing.
Paul, does it seem likely to you that Politico lied about getting an admission of guilt from Carson's campaign? As soon as Casron asked them to prove their claim, they withdrew their statement. Politico is no longer saying that the Carson campaign admitted to lying.

What do you think happened there? Something other than yellow journalism?

Or what CNN did? Just because the few people CNN interviewed from his chilhood couldn't recall a violent temper, does that give CNN the right to claim that Carson lied about it? Isn't it responsible journalism to conclude that not every single person he ever met, will have identical recollections of him, 50 years later?

I can say "I loved fishing when I was in high school". If you pick 1 kid from my class, and ask him, he might say "I remember Jim, I don't recall him saying anything about fishing". Does that mean I lied? Or does it mean what we all know is true, that not everyone will recall identical details, decades later? Do you see how crazy that is? That's what CNN did to the man. That's not yellow journalism?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #212
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Paul, does it seem likely to you that Politico lied about getting an admission of guilt from Carson's campaign? As soon as Casron asked them to prove their claim, they withdrew their statement. Politico is no longer saying that the Carson campaign admitted to lying.
Politico didn't "lie" they made an inference based on the Carson campaign validating their story. It was sloppy journalism but not necessarily a lie.

People throw the word lie around so much I'm not even sure what it means any more.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #213
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No, Carson has no policy experience and by all measures doesn't seem to have a lot of policy insight. His life story as it's been presented is the entire package. Now that he's being taken seriously by voters he's going to get the joys of living in the spotlight.
"Carson has no policy experience "

He didn't formulate policies when he was director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins? Or in his role as a member of the Board of Directors at Costco?

I'm sorry, when Oama was running in 2008, after a whopping 2 years in the US Senate, what was his policy experience, exactly>

"by all measures doesn't seem to have a lot of policy insight"

A lot of Republicans would disagree. The man knows how to solve complex problems, he has proven that, hasn't he?

Eisenhower had no political experience either, and he is regarded as a spectacular president.

"he's going to get the joys of living in the spotlight"

And that's fine, he's in the big leagues. But it should bve applied consistently to all candidates, correct? Because it's not. Obama would not release his academic records, and no one asked for an explanation, no one dug them up like they did with Bush. So why does a reporter not wonder why Obama refuses to release his records, but attack McCain for his transcript? How is that fair?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #214
Jim in CT

Quote:
Politico didn't "lie" they made an inference based on the Carson campaign validating their story. It was sloppy journalism but not necessarily a lie.

People throw the word lie around so much I'm not even sure what it means any more.
"they made an inference based on the Carson campaign validating their story"

If no one on Carson's team ever spoke to Politico about it, then how did they make that inference? Bassed on what?

"People throw the word lie around so much I'm not even sure what it means any more"

A statement that only a Hilary supporter could possibly make. Every clear-thinking person over the age of 6 knows what it means.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #215
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"they made an inference based on the Carson campaign validating their story"

If no one on Carson's team ever spoke to Politico about it, then how did they make that inference? Bassed on what?

"People throw the word lie around so much I'm not even sure what it means any more"

A statement that only a Hilary supporter could possibly make. Every clear-thinking person over the age of 6 knows what it means.
BREAKING

Jim in CT admits he's not clear thinking!

See how that worked? Did I lie?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #216
scottw

Carson said this too...this guy is freekin' nuts...

“So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama.” In March 2007, he claimed the 1965 events in Selma inspired his parents to get together. He was born in 1961. The media chose not to notice.

no wait....sorry...that was Obama
Old 11-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #217
Jim in CT

Quote:
BREAKING

Jim in CT admits he's not clear thinking!

See how that worked? Did I lie?
I do see how it worked. I wouldn't say you lied, I might say you are wrong.

Anyway, in the end, it will be Hilary against someone. The whole campaign will be as exhausting and unpleasant as thi sthread has been. I do have to say, that on the other threads, anything other than politics, you and Paul have been awesome to me. It's too bad that politics does this.

I have to say, if we could split the country in 2, I wpould vote for that and move to wherever my conservative bretheren are. This stuff is incredibly divisive, and I am as guilty of that as anyone.

Spence, in Chicago, the ACLU sued a school district, AND WON, because they said it was discriminatory to tell a boy that he can't shower in the girls' locker room.

Are we really that divided now, where which bathroom you use, is a controversial question? I honestly don't kno wwhat unites us anymore.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #218
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Carson said this too...this guy is freekin' nuts...

“So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama.” In March 2007, he claimed the 1965 events in Selma inspired his parents to get together. He was born in 1961. The media chose not to notice.

no wait....sorry...that was Obama
If you read what he actually said, rather than just some right wing blog with the "you'll never believe what this celebrity said..." advertisements you'd see that Obama was speaking about the broader civil rights movement that had been building for some time.

It's actually a very good speech.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #219
scottw

Quote:
If you read what he actually said, rather than just some right wing blog with the "you'll never believe what this celebrity said..." advertisements you'd see that Obama was speaking about the broader civil rights movement that had been building for some time.

It's actually a very good speech.
Per the text of Obama’s 2007 speech:

“This young man named Barack Obama got one of those tickets [to study in the U.S.], and he met this woman who’s great-great-great-great grandfather had owned slaves,” he said.

“But she had a different idea. There’s some good craziness going on, because they looked at each other and they decided that we know that in the world that it has been it might not be possible for us to get together and have a child. But something’s stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. in 1965 So they got together… and poof Barack Obama, Jr. was born.in 1961

“So don’t tell me I don’t have a claim on Selma, Alabama. (because I can time travel)Don’t tell me I’m not coming home when I come to Selma, Alabama for the first time. I’m here because somebody marched for our freedom. I’m here because somebody marched for me. I stand on the shoulders of giants,” he continued.

Last edited by scottw; 11-09-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Old 11-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #220
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Per the text of Obama’s 2007 speech:
I love it. "Per the text" now means selected quotes surrounded by commentary...
Old 11-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #221
spence

Oh I think this one is done.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/09/politi...ler/index.html
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #222
Nebe

A for effort.
However that happened the planet would be a totally different place.

I might travel back and time and just drink a lot of beer quietly
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #223
buckman

Quote:
That's what you call fabricated news . What s dumb question . I know you're only posting it to be funny and to show how the media really has lost their collective minds but still pretty pathetic .
Old 11-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #224
Nebe

Cnn doesn't post fabricated news.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #225
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
That's what you call fabricated news . What s dumb question . I know you're only posting it to be funny and to show how the media really has lost their collective minds but still pretty pathetic .
Here's another source.

http://time.com/4105477/jeb-bush-baby-hitler/
Old 11-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #226
Nebe

Carson's grain storage thoughts... bush wanting to kill Baby Hitler.... Rubio saying victims of rape should be forced to have the child of the rapist.. Trump just being his usual pompous douch self...

That's some clown car they are squeezing into.
GOP death spiral.

Cruz is the only one I think is half sane. Although he is a Koch puppet.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #227
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Carson's grain storage thoughts... bush wanting to kill Baby Hitler.... Rubio saying victims of rape should be forced to have the child of the rapist.. Trump just being his usual pompous douch self...

GOP death spiral.

Well, we can't all be as grounded as the man who is promising free everything.

I keep hearing about the shambles the GOP is in. This is the party that controls both houses of Congress, a majority of governorships, and a majority of state legislatures, and who control the states (NC, GA, FL, TX) that young people are moving to. Yeah, the GOP is really on the ropes.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #228
Nebe

and the approval ratings of the congress and senate are ??????
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #229
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:

Look it up it cums after Clinton in the dictionary.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #230
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=Nebe;1085991]and the approval ratings of the congress and senate are ??????
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE

And the approval ratings for the Senate, before the GOP took over in 2014 were???

You're not holding any cards in this argument Nebe.

The approval ratings for Congress stunk on election night in 2014, and the GOP opened up a major can of whoop-ass.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #231
Jim in CT

Quote:
Rubio saying victims of rape should be forced to have the child of the rapist.. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
What Rubio is saying is actually (1) very principled, and (2) courageous. Here's why...

Everyone who is pro life, is so because they feel that at the moment of conception, that's a human being. Every single pro-life person thinks that, right? Well, if you believe that. if you believe that it's a human from the moment of conception...then the circumstances surrounding that conception, have no influence over whether or not the result is a human being. The baby has zero control over the circumstances of the conception, therefore the conditions of the conception shouldn't dictate whether or not the product of the conception is, in fact, a human being.

Second, it's a courageous position, because Rubio knows exactly how the media will portray him, and that people like you will be thoughtless enough to buy into it. Having sympathy for the baby, is not mutually exclusive from having deep sympathy from the victim of rape. It would make Rubio's life a lot easier if he said what you wanted to hear, which is what most politicians do. He has the courage of convictions. Much like your hero, Bernie Sanders, in fact. Both men are principled enough that they are not afraid to say what they know is unpopular. Kind of ironic when I put it that way, isn't it.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #232
Fly Rod

Quote:
C
NEBE who is George Soros puppets?.....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 11-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #233
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I might travel back and time and just drink a lot of beer quietly
Maybe we can get a bus....I don't even care if its the "Little Bus"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #234
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Maybe we can get a bus....I don't even care if its the "Little Bus"
Think of the surf casting on block island in 1325.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #235
spence

Quote:

GOP death spiral.

Cruz is very smart but I'm not sure he's any more sane than any of the others. Right how he appears to be the best organized to take over after the Trump/Carson bubbles burst.

Not sure Cruz can beat Clinton though. He'll get strong Republican support but won't connect with moderate voters.

The GOP has shot themselves in the foot by marginalizing more moderate candidates.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #236
Jim in CT

Quote:
Cruz is very smart but I'm not sure he's any more sane than any of the others. Right how he appears to be the best organized to take over after the Trump/Carson bubbles burst.

Not sure Cruz can beat Clinton though. He'll get strong Republican support but won't connect with moderate voters.

The GOP has shot themselves in the foot by marginalizing more moderate candidates.
Ever heard of Marco Rubio? Or do his financial issues make him unqualified, even though Hilary claims she was broke after leaving the White House (minus the art, rugs, and light fixtures that they stole on their way out).

Unless something unforeseen happens with Rubio, he will be on the ticket, He's a spectacular #2 - gives the GOP Florida, a shot at youth, Latinos, and Catholics, and he appeals to both the Tea Party and the moderates. If he wins the top spot, a Rubio/Kasich ticket has electoral math appeal - now you have FL and OH, and you are in business.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #237
buckman

Quote:

Any less insane ? I don't think the neurosurgeon or the multi billionaire are insane . Extremely successful yes, self-made too, but clearly not insane .
I don't understand why you think the GOP shot themselfs in the foot . Clearly the people have had enough with the same old bull#^&#^&#^&#^& that the Democrats want to continue . The GOP has tried to marginalize Trump and Carson .
Old 11-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #238
Nebe

Trump is self made? Lol
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #239
buckman

Quote:
Trump is self made? Lol
10 billion dollars and a top contender for President ... I would say so . Granted he did start with several million and a great work ethic he inherited from his father but don't let what he has accomplished compared to Bernie Sanders cloud your judgment .
Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #240
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
10 billion dollars and a top contender for President ... I would say so . Granted he did start with several million and a great work ethic he inherited from his father but don't let what he has accomplished compared to Bernie Sanders cloud your judgment .
I think his 10B claim has been shot down. He also inherited a support structure that influenced his ability to make that money work.

I'm not sure if that says he's successful or just not self destructive.

Here's the real issue. I was talking to my son today about what Trump brings to the table that makes him want to be a better American. His response, nothing, he's kind of annoying. Didn't he say something mean about someone's Mexican wife?

Exactly.