Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #31
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
As usual your post is "Utter BS". This whole draft issue is simply a way to avoid fighting at any cost.

I`m with Spence.... you are needed at balloon fests only

Good health and family
Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #32
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop View Post
You guys kill me The pubs have been stroking the same cat for years now and with a change in name only you`re blaming the dems for what you claimed the pubs were doing all along... tickle me pink
And what would that be?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #33
stripersnipr

Quote:
I`m with Spence.... you are needed at balloon fests only
Big surprise.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Our All-Volunteer Soldiers are the best that ever put a boot to the Earth. And they've been betrayed by our politicians.
AMEN.

-spence
Old 11-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #35
Skitterpop

Quote:
And what would that be?

You are smart.... you know.

Good health and family
Old 11-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #36
Bronko

Quote:
Utter Nonsense but if the shoe fits. At this point my premise is "If Spence is against it, its good for America".

The gloves are off.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post

The gloves are off.
Be careful what you wish for

His statement was idiotic...I'll restrain myself.

-spence
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #38
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Be careful what you wish for

His statement was idiotic...I'll restrain myself.

-spence
Utter Nonsense
Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #39
spence

Your post was nonsense as it's easily refuted by publicly available statements. Your interpretation is based on how you want to see his stunt, and not for what it really is.

-spence
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #40
stripersnipr

Quote:
Your post was nonsense as it's easily refuted by publicly available statements. Your interpretation is based on how you want to see his stunt, and not for what it really is.

-spence
Hmmm.....So you think I'm the only one who holds that opinion. Your interpretation of publicly available statements is sound (only if you agree with them) and all other interpretations are "utter nonsense", but on the other hand if you dont agree with publicly available statements they become right wing spin and are totally dismissed. When someone takes exception to the "G.I's are stupid" mantra, you accuse them of "piling on" a silly post. You respond to others opinion by quickly reverting to veiled insults and third person name calling with your: idiocy, nonsense, makes no sense routine; All the while accusing others of not debating the issue. And dont forget, nothing personal here but "Its the Policy Stupid".
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Hmmm.....So you think I'm the only one who holds that opinion.
I think the Rangle issue has been distorted by both sides, few people are really listening to his own words anymore!
Quote:
Your interpretation of publicly available statements is sound (only if you agree with them) and all other interpretations are "utter nonsense", but on the other hand if you dont agree with publicly available statements they become right wing spin and are totally dismissed.
No, I only claimed your interpretation of Rangle's stunt was nonsense

Quote:
When someone takes exception to the "G.I's are stupid" mantra, you accuse them of "piling on" a silly post.
The only "G.I.'s are stupid" mantra is the one used to defame war critics by accusing them of defaming the troops.

I don't believe Scooby thinks our troops are dumb...but I do think he made a very inarticulate statement.

But considering how the Military is having to lower standards in order to meet enlistment targets, it's easy for some to draw a parallel to Vietnam era stigma's...in a slippery slope sort of way.

Quote:
You respond to others opinion by quickly reverting to veiled insults and third person name calling with your: idiocy, nonsense, makes no sense routine; All the while accusing others of not debating the issue. And dont forget, nothing personal here but "Its the Policy Stupid".
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

My comments are in context.

Unlike many, I don't cherry pick fringe kookisims and whitewash others so I can define my opponent as I'd like to see them. It's you who are trigger happy as any with the "left wing loony" retort to anything which is uncomfortable or difficult.

My insults are not veiled, I'm calling BULL%$%$%$%$ on this intellectually sloppy and boorish mode of communication you so embrace, which avoids the real issues in favor of a poke to the liberal straw man with an overworn stick.

Instead of getting all in a huff, how about responding to my utter nonsense post? The meat, the substance of the issue.

Would Congress and the President view using US force differently if the burden was shared not by just those who choose to sign up...but by those who enjoy it's protection!

It's a valid and perhaps critical question to ask at this juncture in the history of our country. As I've said before, yes, it's a stunt...but given how receptive the political climate has been for constructive debate, perhaps that's the only way to get the question addressed.

-spence
Old 11-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #42
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

A few misconceptions and twists are made in these arguments - I found this on mostly DOD sites:

The American All Volunteer Military is better educated on average than the population of America. A higher percentage, significantly, of american military have HSD and those that do not are usually bootstrapped in a program for GED. A higher percentage of military from 18-35 have some college compared to the average population of America. Half of all americans from 18-24 do not qualify for military service due to health / education requirements.

Ethnicly, black americans are recruiting somewhat above and hispanic / asian american are recruiting at below their percentage of population. Recruitment of black americans is trending down.

The enlistment recruiting well mirrors the averages for America.

Interesting article:

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2...13mythfact.pdf

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #43
spence

Reading Rangel's own statements, I don't think his argument has anything to do with education...but rather economics and the notion of "shared" sacrifice.

While I don't completely agree with his argument, Rangel does make a very valid point.

One one hand the War on Terror is being pitched as the single greatest threat to Western civilization this century, yet on the other we're being told to just "keep shopping" while the government cuts taxes and continues to rack up the national debt for our children.

To Rangel's point...shouldn't this sacrifice be shared among all Americans (including corporate interests) if the stakes are really that high?

-spence
Old 11-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #44
stripersnipr

Quote:
Instead of getting all in a huff, how about responding to my utter nonsense post? The meat, the substance of the issue.

Would Congress and the President view using US force differently if the burden was shared not by just those who choose to sign up...but by those who enjoy it's protection!

-spence
The utter nonsense is the notion that this issue is about a possible abstract consequence of the Draft reinstatement. The very basis for Rangels proposal is incorrect. His statement that the military disproprtionately consists of those of lower social bearing (Undeducated, poor, and minorities) is completely false. Want to debate the real issues? Heres a few of hundreds.

1) Forcibily removing Mothers and Fathers between the ages of 18 and 42 from a family structure.

2) Diluting the strongest and most effecient Miltary Unit on the face of the earth.

3) Lowering current Military admission standards

4) Substantial financial implications to support a milatary draft and its cojoined social/community service alternative (draft deferment option).
Old 11-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
The very basis for Rangels proposal is incorrect. His statement that the military disproprtionately consists of those of lower social bearing (Undeducated, poor, and minorities) is completely false.
Actually, Rangel's statements (as he's made them) seem to be supported by Pentagon statistics and non-partisan research done over the past few years.
  • Nearly 1/2 of new recruits came from lower-middle-class to poor households
  • Nearly 2/3 of Army recruits in 2004 came from counties in which median household income is below the U.S. median
  • All of the Army's top 20 counties for recruiting had lower-than-national median incomes, 12 had higher poverty rates, and 16 were non-metropolitan

Source: Washington Post

Put Rangel's comments in this context and it would seem as though his argument is more compelling than you might think.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 11-26-2006 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #46
stripersnipr

Quote:
Actually, Rangel's statemes (as he's made them) seem to be supported by Pentagon statistics and non-partisan research done over the past few years.
  • Nearly 1/2 of new recruits came from lower-middle-class to poor households
  • Nearly 2/3 of Army recruits in 2004 came from counties in which median household income is below the U.S. median
  • All of the Army's top 20 counties for recruiting had lower-than-national median incomes, 12 had higher poverty rates, and 16 were non-metropolitan

Source: Washington Post

-spence
Thats interesting when compared to these DOD statistics.

The overwhelming majority of military personnel killed in action in Afghanistan and Iraq — nearly 74 percent — have been white. Hispanic/Latino deaths make up about 11.5 percent; blacks account for less than 10 percent. Yet, the overall U.S. population of more than 300 million is 14 percent Hispanic and 12 percent black.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Thats interesting when compared to these DOD statistics.

The overwhelming majority of military personnel killed in action in Afghanistan and Iraq — nearly 74 percent — have been white. Hispanic/Latino deaths make up about 11.5 percent; blacks account for less than 10 percent. Yet, the overall U.S. population of more than 300 million is 14 percent Hispanic and 12 percent black.
You're comparing different stats. Who ever said the poorer communities were minority?

Additionally you'd need to study where the various minority groups served and where the deaths were occuring for it to have much meaning.

-spence
Old 11-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #48
stripersnipr

Quote:
You're comparing different stats. Who ever said the poorer communities were minority?

Additionally you'd need to study where the various minority groups served and where the deaths were occuring for it to have much meaning.

-spence
My guess is the, ethnicity and number of dead will remain constant with the current statistic even after the location of death data has been extrapolated and interjected to the statistic formula.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
My guess is the, ethnicity and number of dead will remain constant with the current statistic even after the location of death data has been extrapolated and interjected to the statistic formula.
And in context with Rangel's Bill, it would still be moot

-spence
Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #50
stripersnipr

Quote:
And in context with Rangel's Bill, it would still be moot

-spence
These are some of the REAL issues and consequences relative to Rangles proposal. They are not moot.

1) Forcibily removing Mothers and Fathers between the ages of 18 and 42 from a family structure.

2) Diluting the strongest and most efficient Miltary Unit on the face of the earth.

3) Lowering of current Military admission standards to allow quota fulfillment.

4) Unprecedented financial (Tax) implications of supporting a military draft and its cojoined social/community service alternative (draft deferment option).

5) Conscientious Objective Deferals for those who opppose fighting in Wars.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #51
spence

Quote:
These are some of the REAL issues and consequences relative to Rangles proposal. They are not moot.
Woa, I just had a deja vu
Quote:

2) Diluting the strongest and most efficient Miltary Unit on the face of the earth.

3) Lowering of current Military admission standards to allow quota fulfillment.

4) Unprecedented financial (Tax) implications of supporting a military draft and its cojoined social/community service alternative (draft deferment option).

5) Conscientious Objective Deferals for those who opppose fighting in Wars.
Well, I don't believe he's ever called for any of that. Rangel's bill isn't even for a "military" draft alone, but also to draft people into public service that will aid us in the War on Terror. For many this could mean nothing more than some part time work instead of watching 8 hours of mindless football on Sundays

Have you even read his Bill?

-spence

Last edited by spence; 11-26-2006 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #52
stripersnipr

Quote:
Woa, I just had a deja vu

Well, I don't believe he's ever called for any of that. Rangel's bill isn't even for a "military" draft, but rather to draft people into public service that will aid us in the War on Terror. For many this could mean nothing more than some part time work instead of watching 8 hours of mindless football on Sundays

Have you even read his Bill?

-spence
Wow, Even after reading the bill I was left with the clear impression it called for a Miltary Draft.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #53
Skitterpop

Lots of poor caucasians in this country

Good health and family
Old 11-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
Wow, Even after reading the bill I was left with the clear impression it called for a Miltary Draft.
Reread my post, I corrected it after rereading it and realizing it was worded poorly.

8 minutes before you responded

-spence
Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #55
Bronko

Quote:
Lots of poor caucasians in this country
Wow, thanks.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #56
spence

So back to the point...is the burden of fighting for the American way of life being equally shared among those who enjoy it?

Should it?

-spence
Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #57
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I think that when people are thinking about the education level of the Mlitary they are falling victim to an Out-dated perception. 30-40 years ago the military was an avenue for people who didn't have the grades for College or any direction, as of yet, in there lives. Still is to some extent. I know that when I joined it was to basically do something with my life. and when I joined they were just starting to implement standards for enlistment. They were looking at things like High-school Graduate or not, or if you had a clean police record.

and as time progressed it actually became tougher to get into the military than ever before. Also as technology started to come to the Fore front the need for more Trained and Educated personnel came into play so the Military had to change its standards.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #58
Bronko

Quote:
So back to the point...is the burden of fighting for the American way of life being equally shared among those who enjoy it?

Should it?

-spence

Its tough having the average guy answer this. If I answered from my personal observations the answer is yes. Every soldier I know or am familiar with through friends and family here in Boston are all well educated and career driven middle class people. They come from all walks of life be it public servants, politicians teachers etc. All with high school diplomas at a minimum, most with college and some with post grad degrees.

This is beacuse it is a cross-section of my personal and social circles. We can all relay stories about our opinions based on our experiences.

The problem is answering the question on a national level, for that we must rely on statistics. Unfortunately, as we all know we could spend a couple of days here posting links

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...rity/wm922.cfm

trying to nail down the exact socio-economic make-up of the greatest fighting force in the history of the world.

"Should it?" ..... I may have to take a stab at this later. Off to court.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #59
stripersnipr

Quote:
You guys kill me The pubs have been stroking the same cat for years now and with a change in name only you`re blaming the dems for what you claimed the pubs were doing all along... tickle me pink
I'll give this one last shot. What you seem to be saying is Republicans are now blaming Democrats for things Republicans were claiming they themselves do. If that is your point I'm left with only one word..........What?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #60
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Wow, thanks.

You`re welcome and I`ll see you in court

Many words do not a point make said someone.

Good health and family