Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Preliminary "Yak Rat" Plans For 2011!

Well we formed a new kayak group here at S-B in 2010. We got a late start but we have been having a great time meeting new people, yak fishing new places and for most of us.....just getting used to this thing called kayak fishing! Its been great spending time with you folks and weather permitting I hope we get together for a few more salt trips and even some freshwater fishing!

I have some preliminary ideas for 2011 and I am still working out the details and will be looking for your input to make things fun! What we will do is get together over the winter and get some dinner and discuss the things I will lay out here now. I hope you like how they sound?

1. We will have stickers and yak flags with our new logo which myself and a buddy of mine will be working on over the winter! Maybe hats too!!

2. Next year we will have a season long "Yak Rat" fishing tournament! This will be "catch and release friendly" as the honor system will be in place, a measurement and perhaps a photo is all we will require and of course it must be yak caught and this will only be open to registered "Yak Rats". There will be a monthly winner in 2 categories...Bass and Bluefish.....and of course a season winner in each category! We may also have a freshwater bass division also??? Prizes will be discussed when we meet but will probably consist of donated schwag and we will all kick in a fee or donation of some kind! Again....we will all discuss this together!

3. Trips! Yeah.....maybe an overnight trip or two??? Saltwater of course and maybe even a freshwater trip??? Tagger and I had discussed a few options......some of the Boston Harbor Islands have camp sites and might be a great choice! There are also some great campgrounds down the Cape! If you have a thought on this I would love to hear them!

4. We have been trying to go to as many new spots as we can to change things up and most of them have been south shore locations.......my thought on this is maybe we can have someone from the North Shore host a Scramble at a location they know, maybe a Cape guy, maybe a Rhode Island guy??? Its great to have spots we can get to know well by spending alot of time there but new spots and locations are always alot of fun!

5. Remember why we call these trips "Scrambles"! Often times they are last minute, weather depending get togethers.....especially in the fall as we witnessed with all the wind! Mostly we will try to have them scheduled at least a week in advance or more so folks can plan ahead. However if there is for example a weekend approaching and there is nothing scheduled......just post that you are headed out.....looking for someone to yak fish with and BANG!!!! Its a "Scramble"!

6. We will also have a season "Opener" get together complete with a cookout and such! Also a season "Wrap-Up" get together also with a chow down!!!

I hope these ideas sound good to you folks? Let me know what you think and post your thoughts here and when we get together over the winter we can use this thread as a reference to help us make 2011 a great season!!!

PS-JohnR......we need a kayak smiley!!

Last edited by BigFish; 10-14-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Pretty darn cool! Register me. I'd like to host a Scramble in Truro, a stone's throw from P-town Harbor or Wellfleet harbor. My parking is limited but doable for 5-6 trucks. Maybe more if I'm nice to my neighbor. 3 campgrounds within 2 miles of my house, too.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Yeah Fred we could do an overnight down there and camp at the HOTM campgrounds?? Or the one nearer you??? I forget which one that is?? Be cool to have you host one Fred!!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
fishbones

Sounds great! I'm already looking forward to next year and I'll be at every one that I can make it to.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Larry, you're a trip. Congrats on the great job you are doing. I have a yak and maybe I'll join up with you guys for a trip next year.
I would also look at some trips in the spring in Narragansett Bay, there is some great sheltered areas for yaks there and even a few islands I've seen people camp on - with some usually great fishing (not this year). I'd be more than happy to offer some advice there.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

RIJ......Now that I know you have a yak I will be hounding your ass next season to come along! We really do have a great time! Lotsa fun and lotsa laughs!!!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
RIJ......Now that I know you have a yak I will be hounding your ass next season to come along! We really do have a great time! Lotsa fun and lotsa laughs!!!
yup - 2 of them hanging in the garage. They were my parents, they got into yakking in Florida. I've fished the RI salt ponds in them and had some fun about 5-6 years ago.
Actually - the ponds would be a great spot for you guys, great access and great fishing.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

I'd like to join. and am definitely down for Fred's idea. I know some spots that have been sure things for decent bass every year around the end of June and beginning of July out there.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Be glad to have you Mikey!!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
O.D. Mike

Saltwater fishing idea,
If you want to camp and fish this is a great place! I've had friends who have stayed there and had a ball fishing in that area....

Waquoit Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey View Post
I'd like to join. and am definitely down for Fred's idea. I know some spots that have been sure things for decent bass every year around the end of June and beginning of July out there.
AHHH! The Cape Tip Kayak Guru!!
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Sounds like a good plan! I will host a North Shore trip for sure.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
frogman_ch

Just found you guys over hear. Sounds like you have a lot of good ideas. I would like to join in and help in any way I can.
frogman_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Welcome aboard Frogman CH! Look forward to having you join us!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
BigBo

Welcome aboard Chris.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
frogman_ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Welcome aboard Chris.