Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
blondterror

Walker Turner tablesaw on CL

I have one of their bandsaws and love it.... this is a steal at $150 even if it needs work

Walker Turner table saw

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
bayviewrr

I had a Walker Turner table saw years ago. Built like a battleship. Problem was I could not get parts to it. Had one part break and had to go to a machine shop to have a new part fabricated. Shortly after that, a cast iron part broke and it could not be replaced, even after a long search on the internet for parts. Basically had to throw it out. What a shame. It was a beautiful tool and they definitely don't make them like that anymore.
bayviewrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Fishracks

I would like to get a lathe to start making some of my own plugs but not sure what would be a good one to get I have seen a lot of them for sale but I'm not really sure what to look for, After reading what you guys use has gave me some idea like variable speed and making sure there is enough room to thru drill the plugs, Any recommendations? This would only be a winter hobby project for me so i don't think i need anything to fancy but on the hand i want to something that's going to last too. I wasn't sure if i needed to start a new thread for this question so i apologize in advance.
Fishracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
blondterror

Many of the builders have the Jet Mini lathe which is available with a VS Variable speed motor control or with a 4 position pulley/belt system.

I have a General Maxi (Mini) that is VS and I also have a bed extension.

I suggest getting a mini lathe that has a 14 or 15" length capacity to make drilling easy. The man cave thread has many pics of the mini lathes that we are all using... including mine.

The local Craigs List frequently has used Jet mini lathes... they have been around for a while and plenty have been sold and many sit unused...

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Fishracks

Thanks for the info I saw a Jet 14" for $370 shipped
Fishracks is offline   Reply With Quote