Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
niko

fly fishing

i want to get a set up for funny fish and schoolies. i've only ever used a flyrod for salmon up in new york. $250 or so will hopefully get me a beginner setup. most guys seem to be using 9' 8wt rods so i guess thats a good way to go to start. i see there are floating, intermediate and sinking lines. a sinking line makes sense to me but i do like fishing topwater when plugging. any thoughts on brands of rods/reels and lines

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #2
scottw

the Orvis Encounter outfit is a good basic starter outfit up to 8wt which is fine for schoolies etc...might consider 9 or 10 wt if you are targeting albies or bigger bass/blues..it won't offer you the long term durability of the more expensive sw rods and reels ($250+ for just the Hydros reel) but it will get your toes wet without spending a ton to see if you like it...comes with floating line but I'm sure you could find someone to donate a used intermediate so you don't have to spend 80 bucks on a line....sinking lines are tough to cast if you are learning...fish taking gurglers from the surface on fly is as much fun as plugging with topwaters

https://www.orvis.com/store/product....subcat_id=7309
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #3
Higgie

The bears den has had a great deal on sage reels 2200 series sealed drag and it says the size is an 8-9 wt reel for around 120$ with backing. I have an 8 wt tfo rod I use with this reel with intermediate sinking line I believe it’s a 250grajn. Full sinking I think might be over kill. I’ve used this setup for Black seabass just drop a clouser over the edge of the boat it’s at the bottom within 20 sec. I also use a 10/11 at Albright rod I paid 50$ for new with a white river large arbor 10wt reel that was under 100$ at the stupid big box store. I like the heavier setup because I can get my line out a good 50-70yds in just a few back casts. Line is where it gets expensive but matters the most. An intermediate sink saltwater line will cost you 100$ where a weaight forward floating should be about half of that. Hope this helps a little niko. I like the tfo rods for the price point and the warranty is fast and affordable no questions asked
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
fishbones

You know what the hardest part about fly fishing is?

Explaining to your wife that you’re gay.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
niko

- was waiting for some abuse. figured it would be raider ronnie though. thanks higgie and scott - it helps

Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Higgie

I’m suprised it took bonesy that long
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgie View Post
I’m suprised it took bonesy that long
Haha, I’ve been busy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
i want to get a set up for funny fish and schoolies. i've only ever used a flyrod for salmon up in new york. $250 or so will hopefully get me a beginner setup. most guys seem to be using 9' 8wt rods so i guess thats a good way to go to start. i see there are floating, intermediate and sinking lines. a sinking line makes sense to me but i do like fishing topwater when plugging. any thoughts on brands of rods/reels and lines
You’ll need a pipe also.....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
You’ll need a pipe also.....
And a really cool hat. I think the most important thing is to make sure you’re first time out is with some decent cross winds. More wind the easier to cast in.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
niko

I’d look good with a pipe
Old 09-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

You’re equipment is less important than you casting ability. An 8 or 9 wt rod with a short-headed floating line is what I’d suggest as a starting place. Casting a fly line is not intuitive for most people. The rod tip needs to travel in a straight line parallel to the water, not in an arc as with other tackle. This is not simple since the rod bends as you accelerate it. There are also important timing issues as to when and how much force you apply. Finally you need to maintain line tension with the line hand all through the cast. Trying to do all this right when faced with a seething school of albies and only seconds to get a cast off is a hard way to learn. By all means it is worth doing, however. Albies are fun fish on a spinning rod but world class fish on a fly rod. Once you realize that you’ll have a hard time throwing metal ever again.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
Clammer

I,ll show ya

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #13
niko

cast 10 feet, drive boat 100' while dumping out line, start retrieve

Old 09-18-2020, 06:09 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
cast 10 feet, drive boat 100' while dumping out line, start retrieve
that's one way to get some distance...if you think about it, typical 90' line + 9' foot leader....you max cast is only about 30 yards if you make a great double haul and shoot your entire line under perfect conditions...and like George said, the mechanics of fly casting are what most people struggle with, that and line management....spend a little time off the water getting used to laying line out in different directions and managing the line as well as in a little wind so that you learn to get the wind in your favor so you don't end up with a clouser piercing...enjoy the process
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #15
BEETLE

Fly Rodding, a pipe what's next - Golf !
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #16
Guppy
User

Quote:
I’d look good with a pipe
I’ll be at the soccer field testing my new BFT rod, u could practice there also, I’ll get you a pipe from Dangles
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
Higgie

Fished the cheeky fly fishing tournament Saturday with another guy from the site. Over 400 guys fished Saturday from 530am to 4pm all of cape cod. No more than one fish over 30”. Says a lot about the fishery I do say
Old 09-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #18
t.orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgie View Post
Fished the cheeky fly fishing tournament Saturday with another guy from the site. Over 400 guys fished Saturday from 530am to 4pm all of cape cod. No more than one fish over 30”. Says a lot about the fishery I do say
There was an abundance of lost looking fly guys walking the streets with phones to there ears looking for directions where I was attempting to fish. Figured some sort of fly event. Unfortunately didn't even fish, as they had all the parking taken up, parking stickers or not.
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote