Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #31
Backbeach Jake

Skip. I'd feel like an absolute arse. In my life, I've had slugs whiz by me 3 times. 2 were avoidable accidents, was was on purpose by a "misguided misanthrope". Lemme tell ya right freakin' now, without strict discipline in firearm safety, accidents are bound to happen. Deadly accidents. Cheney's hunting bud had a "mild heart attack" today from irritation from birdshot. Sounds like he got blasted pretty good. The "Only a Replublican" crack was just that , a wisecrack, nothing more. Hillary would be a good pointer tho...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #32
missing link

The dude was in the line of fire , in Texas Quail hunting the rule of thumb is shoot right to left from 12 to 9 o'clock he was in the line of fire I heard this on OLN ?????????????????
ml

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #33
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

By now everyone has heard that the guy that Cheney shot has run into complications. Apparantly, one shot either got lodged in his heart intially, or has migrated there, causing an irregular rythym or something (atrial fibrillation) that has been classified as a mild heart attack.
If it had been Ted Kennedy or Barney Frank Or Billy C that had shot someone, I doubt if the reaction from the media/entertainment world would have been any different. It's all umm...
*ahem*
...fair game.

Last edited by MoroneSaxatilis; 02-14-2006 at 06:32 PM..

MoroneSaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #34
sok
North Shore Lurker

I had an idiot take a shot over my head as I went out to change a target.
Once.
He won't ever do that again.
And I read today the sheriff or SP was notified within 1 hour.
The mainstream press is just pissed because the locals were notified before they were.
sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #35
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok
So why did he wait 14 hours to interview the VP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok
The mainstream press is just pissed because the locals were notified before they were.
Why did it take so long to notify even the local press?

And of course, everyone knows by now that Cheney didn't even have the proper endorsement on his hunting licence.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #36
Raven

Talking the why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoroneSaxatilis
So why did he wait 14 hours to interview the VP?

Why did it take so long to notify even the local press?

And of course, everyone knows by now that Cheney didn't even have the proper endorsement on his hunting licence.

it was the ole chappaquid -#^&#^&#^&#^& trick
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #37
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoroneSaxatilis
By now everyone has heard that the guy that Cheney shot has run into complications. Apparantly, one shot either got lodged in his heart intially, or has migrated there, causing an irregular rythym or something (atrial fibrillation) that has been classified as a mild heart attack.
If it had been Ted Kennedy or Barney Frank Or Billy C that had shot someone, I doubt if the reaction from the media/entertainment world would have been any different. It's all umm...
*ahem*
...fair game.

I haven't been following this news story too closely, but "peppered with buckshot" as was reported by the ranch owner is whole lot different then having a piece of buckshot either in the proximity of your heart or migrating towards it and causing a heart attack.

It was an accident but it shouldn't be taken so lightly. The truth would be nice. You'd think they'd know that if it looks like they're hiding something people are of course going to be suspicious.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #38
sok
North Shore Lurker

The article I saw (with a timeline) said "they" scheduled an interview for 9:00AM the next morning at the time of the report.
Accident happened at 6:30pm. Reported at 7:50.
The article did not specify who "they" were.
Secret service or local sheriff.
I checked the Mass regs.
"Any hunting accident MUST be reported to state,local and or environmental police."
MA DFWELE
I would guess THAT law is pretty much the same from state to state.
Not trying to be a wiseass,just defending my post; but if I get winged in a hunting accident am I required to notify the AP? Or the local paper?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #39
stripersnipr

Is there some kind of Law that says you or the VP or whoever involved in an accident must notify anyone besides the Police? I doubt it. Big deal, they told the press the next day. What difference does it make.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #40
Redsoxticket

Here you have a 78 year old man expecting to announce his precense at 30 yards away. The aging process of life limits some to speak in a loud audible tone. Chenney should have waited until he got back to his position with his retrieved quail knowing that he was out there.
Here is a silly anology which could use a little merit. Its like fishing from breachway and you hookup to a decent fish meanwhile someone decides to cast out instead of waiting for you to land the fish.
Enough said for me I just wish the former judge well.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #41
sok
North Shore Lurker

[QUOTE=Pete_G]I haven't been following this news story too closely, but "peppered with buckshot" as was reported by the ranch owner is whole lot different then having a piece of buckshot either in the proximity of your heart or migrating towards it and causing a heart attack.

Maybe it was just shock?
A firearm being fired close to you but not by you (outside of a range when you expect it) really gets the adrenaline going.
(I know)
The guy was 78.
Bird shot out of a 28 gauge at 30 yds. 90 feet.
That's about the end of the effective range of a shotgun; isn't it?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #42
Nebe

#^&#^&#^&#^& had a roast beef sandwich before the trip

can you believe that??

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #43
zacs
D'oh

so if this dude croaks from complications can they charge #^&#^&#^&#^& with involuntary manslaughter?

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #44
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok
Maybe it was just shock?
A firearm being fired close to you but not by you (outside of a range when you expect it) really gets the adrenaline going.
(I know)
The guy was 78.
Bird shot out of a 28 gauge at 30 yds. 90 feet.
That's about the end of the effective range of a shotgun; isn't it?
I don't really know anything about guns other then paintball guns. If there's penetration near or into his heart though I'd have to say that he was in the "effective range" of the weapon.

My only point was the intial description of "peppering", in my view, implies lack of penetration versus what we have here, a BB possibly lodged in his heart and others elsewhere.

No one seems to have really discussed how badly he was hit. They mention face, throat and chest, but not much else. Now we learn there was clearly penetration and I just find it odd we didn't really know that before. And since you say that he was standing at the extreme end of "effective range" yet we have serious penetration, I can't help but be a bit suspicious of the reported distance. It's just my nature...

Again, I haven't been following this too closely, I may have missed a more accurate description of what took place that was released a couple days earlier.

Last edited by Pete_G; 02-14-2006 at 09:12 PM..
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #45
Raven

the acurate description

will never be truly accurate....

what was said was... just after he fired....

ok -> this is what we're going to say happened...

and as far as penetration your exactly right because the pellet lodged in his heart had to go thru hunting clothing first...

what scares me is ...in the event we lost our current president...
this BOZO would be the commander in chief...
Old 02-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #46
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok
I had an idiot take a shot over my head as I went out to change a target.
Once.
He won't ever do that again.
Right on about the mainstream press...The press briefing at the Whitehouse looked pathetic yesterday, bitching and whining that they didnt know 5 minutes after it happened. Bunch of babies...Its not like they found out a week after the fact. It was less than a freakin day! Good god...the press sucks
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #47
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven

ok -> this is what we're going to say happened...

and as far as penetration your exactly right because the pellet lodged in his heart had to go thru hunting clothing first...
Good point. For a BB to go that deep with heavy clothing on it definitely requires some serious velocity.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #48
PaulS

its the 2nd most important person in the US, shouldn't the American public be told? We had to hear about it 2nd hand. McClellan feels its ok for a private citizen to speak for the VP!!!

Its indicative of this administrations secretiveness and heavy handiness.

Doesn't anyone own a cellphone and couldn't they contact the police right away rather than wait 1 1/2 hours. If they know he was serious enough to be helicoptored to the hospital they should have called the authorities right away.

If they had a press conference and and told us there would be no story other than a few late night jokes.

Drs say he was hit with between 6 and 200 pellets.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #49
mekcotuit

here is interesting read:

Full of Holes
The gossip about Cheney's bad shot.
By Paul Burka
Posted Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006, at 6:52 PM ET

Austin, TEXAS—The headquarters of Harry Whittington, the 78-year-old Austin lawyer who was shot by Vice President #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney in a hunting accident Saturday, is the nondescript 10-story Vaughn Building, located a block from the Texas Capitol in downtown Austin. Because of Whittington's lifelong Republican credentials, the building has always been a favorite of GOP politicos. Today, however, it has become ground zero for anyone trying to get the latest news about Harry's condition, as well as about what really happened on the Armstrong Ranch last Saturday morning.
Harry's office—he is always referred to by his first name here—is on the 10th floor, and many tenants have dropped in or called to inquire about how he's doing. None of the ones I spoke to want to be quoted by name, because many of them are questioning the official accounts of the accident. The place is aswirl in rumor and speculation, especially since Harry suffered what was described as a mild heart attack Tuesday morning. Keep in mind that hunting, especially quail hunting, is deeply embedded in the political culture of this state, and invitations to hunt on prestigious spreads like the Armstrong Ranch are among the most prized of political perks.

The talk in the Vaughn Building centers around three questions:

Who was in charge of the hunt? As many Americans are learning for the first time, quail hunting is dangerous—arguably the most dangerous type of hunting. Participants, usually a threesome, follow dogs through thick brush and tall grass seeking what Karl Rove, a dedicated quail hunter, calls "the wily bob white." When the quail flush, hunters are surrounded by panicked birds. Each hunter is supposed to fire forward, but in the adrenalin spike of the flush, it is easy to lose your bearings. That is why it's good practice for someone who is not shooting to be in charge of the hunt. The hunters are supposed to maintain a horizontal line as they move forward, but this is easier than it sounds in rough country. When someone falls behind—someone, for instance, like Harry Whittington—the person in charge calls a halt until the line forms up again. Whittington, as we know, dropped back to pick up a bird. This happens all the time in quail hunting; the question is, why did the other two hunters keep going? Perhaps, veteran quail hunters are speculating, no one was in charge on the Armstrong Ranch, leaving the three hunters in #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney's party on their own while hostess Katharine Armstrong watched from the car that had transported them.

At what range was Harry Whittington hit? The official story is that the blast from the vice president's shotgun hit Whittington at a distance of 30 yards. Hunters at the Vaughn Building are skeptical. The hunt took place on a cold, windy afternoon. Whittington and his fellow hunters were probably wearing warm clothing—say, a jacket and a flannel shirt. Cheney was using a 28-gauge shotgun, a smaller-diameter firearm with pellets smaller than BBs. Whittington's friends question whether the pellets could have penetrated his layers of clothing and skin at that range. Yet two pellets lodged against his larynx, another was in his liver, and another migrated into the heart muscle, causing the heart attack. The pattern of wounds was between the lower chest and the forehead, a pretty tight zone for shot of 30 yards. If the range was considerably less than 30 yards, then it is likely that Whittington's injuries were worse than the initial statement by Katharine Armstrong indicated. (The blast "knocked him silly," but "he was fine.")

Whose fault was it? If there is anything that Harry's friends at the Vaughn Building are angry about, it is not the shooting itself but the attempt by White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan to place the blame on the victim. It's the shooter's duty to know what he is shooting at and where his companions are. A shooting accident is always the fault of the shooter. Always.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #50
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

The scary thing is..
If the guy had died we NEVER would have heard about it... he would have 'had a heart attack' during the hunt....
Remember... the Truth is out there

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #51
Raven

hadnt heard the numbers pauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS

Drs say he was hit with between 6 and 200 pellets.
a 28 gauge shot gun fired at a range of thirty yards???
thats ninty 90 feet....and he's hit chest high with 200 pellets
like this...???
Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #52
Raven

Cool think about it....

he'd have to be firing level or below level where your not supposed to be shooting when your in a group hunt... it makes no sense..this story...was he shooting them at what ...5 feet off the ground....
sounds like total bull s h i t lies
but thats just my opinion
my sixth sense....
is telling me ....cover-up....
and i have a very strong
sixth sense.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #53
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Cheney v.s. Kennedy

At least Cheney and his buddies didn't leave the guy behind in the field to die...............

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #54
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND
The scary thing is..
If the guy had died we NEVER would have heard about it... he would have 'had a heart attack' during the hunt....
Remember... the Truth is out there
If they wanted to cover it up from the start they could have. Just say another hunter shot the guy. But the less than 24 hours they came out and said Cheny shot the the guy. Yeah such a big cover up. They came out and admitted what happened. If they are trying to cover it up and hide the facts why would they have told the media!? Must be one of those vast right wing conspiracys.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #55
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer
At least Cheney and his buddies didn't leave the guy behind in the field to die...............
Yes Kennedy is a real scumbag...he told NOBODY. But he's a liberal and a Kennedy so he gets a pass....
Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #56
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok
... but if I get winged in a hunting accident am I required to notify the AP? Or the local paper?
No. Absolutely not.
But then again, you're not the Vice President Of The United States.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #57
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
#^&#^&#^&#^& had a roast beef sandwich before the trip
can you believe that??
There is much controversy surrounding this issue. It's still unclear whether the sandwich was made with fresh or previously frozen roast beef, and whether it had mustard or mayo on it.
There are even reports surfacing now that it may not even have BEEN roast beef, but some sort of luncheon meat.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #58
Jimbo

I'm starting to agree with Raven. Too many things don't make sense. At Cheney's age, and from the pictures, wearing ear protection, his reaction time is such that he hears a flushed bird (he couldn't have just sensed it by ESP or some other man-bird telepathy), and he's so quick he can turn, locate it and shoot it less than five feet off the ground?
I can't vouch for it being true, but I saw some guy who was supposed to be hunt coordinator or organizer and he said the first rule they make sure hunters know is not to shoot level or below, this ensures the safety of the dogs, too, and not to fire unless they can identify it as a bird. Leno's sarcastic, but usually his comments are based on on some fact and he came out with an outrageous story about how the police did show up to see what was going on and were asked to come back later, and they left.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #59
MakoMike

New Texas bumper sticker:

I'd rather hunt with Cheney

Than drive with Kennedy

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #60
Skip N