Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Jimbo

Truly, The Maddness Never Ends

I'm new at this executor stuff, but geeezzz the utilities don't make it easy. I called Eversource and asked if I could have the bill sent to a different address, in the "Estate of". Nope as soon as I said Estate, they asked "he passed" I said "yea" I want to pay the bills, keep the heat on...Nope, if you don't fax the "XYZ" forms and lawyer/death forms stuff we'll turn off service, you have a temporary period to reply. I said, "Wow, you guys don't have a lot of caring for a deceased parent, do you." Basically, the response was, "Is there anything else I can Help you with today?" I responded, but not likely an appropriate response fir the site. Needless to say the other utilities are gonna be past due...whenever I can get to it.

Really wanted to make another Too Cold event, but gotta head back to NJ and figure things out there, then come back soon, then go back...like I said, this executor stuff sucks. Sign me, Grumpy in South Yarmouth.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
spence

Sorry for your loss. Seems stupid. When I tried to change the Cox cable account into my name they wanted to see a copy of the marriage certificate. It was absurd.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Jimbo

Therein is some more madness. I take dad's cable boxes to the local Comcast office and say I want to cancel his service. No problem with them, and I ask can I settle up the outstanding bill. Politely, but "sorry for your loss, it will take a day or so for the system to catch up so we can do that, you can call Comcast at the 800 number in a day to do that". OK I wait two days call Comcast, SOB, they put me through the ringer because I said deceased...for a $4.45 balance. Go back to the local office here, say, "I want to pay a small outstanding bill I had a hard time doing on line." Scanned a barcode on an old invoice and smiled and said, "That'll be $4.45, please".
The crazy thing is, I'm trying to give THEM (the 800 numbers) money and they don't want it without a struggle on my part.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Sorry for your loss neighbor....

Jim, how about just keep paying the bills over there until u sell...

I believe the executor is entitled to 10% of estate before split...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
Jimbo

That's probably what I should have done, but they make it very difficult for someone not on the account to even pay the bills. Right now it seems like the easiest thing to do is let the bills lapse until I can finish up probate and set up a trust and autopay out of that.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Hey Jim, sorry for your loss.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
That's probably what I should have done, but they make it very difficult for someone not on the account to even pay the bills. Right now it seems like the easiest thing to do is let the bills lapse until I can finish up probate and set up a trust and autopay out of that.
Funny, when my mom was in the hospital a couple years back I was paying her bills with MY checks, and all the companies (cable, water and electric had no problems accepting them.

Maybe it was because my mom was still living?

In any case, I'm sorry for your loss and the crap that you have to deal with.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Jimbo

That's exactly it. If I had just said I wanted to change the address the bills go to I'd have been fine, but I tried to be honest, do the right thing, keep the lights on, and, NOPE! So I'm not paying anyone anything until the probate deal is done.