Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Finaddict

Barbeque Grills ... What's your favorite?

So, this house I moved into ... the landlord took a Weber charcoal grill that was initially part of the deal ... so, I figure rather than arguing over a grill that is not 100 percent, I'd get my own.

I have had a number of gas grills in the past, they work well ... but don't want to spend a ton on a new one ... there is a Weber gas grill for $350 that looks to be good ... but there are also some decent charcoal grills for $150 ... but I don't have much of an opinion on either ... want a good grill that is easy to use, easy to maintain ...

... some also believe cooking on charcoal is better than gas ... doesn't matter all that much because I'm a pretty crappy cook, but figure if I can grill meat and veggies more regularly during the summer, I'd be eating better than I normally do during the winter both from quality and health wise ...

So appreciate any insights you guys may have.

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Finaddict

The least amount of $$$ I can get away with the better as well ...

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I prefer charcoal myself Andy! If I am BBQ'ing I am not in a rush plus I hate the taste of propane on my meat! I just use a Weber "Meatball" grill! $100 and you are off to the races!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Slingah

If your cooking for yourself get a Smokey Joe (small Weber kettle) or a regular for more cooking space.....some bigger stores have knock-off kettle grills too.....and get yourself a chimney starter for the charcoals
Weber Grills and Accessories

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Finaddict

Thanks guys ... what's the deal with the chimney starter ... does it make lighting the charcoal easier? Or did that link provide the answer?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaddict View Post
Thanks guys ... what's the deal with the chimney starter ... does it make lighting the charcoal easier? Or did that link provide the answer?
Chimney starter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Live at Leeds
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Finaddict

Thanks

Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
SurfCaster413

Got a propane weber grill for years now works fine would buy another 1 in a hear beat if needed too.
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I have a charmglow with the side opener option and built in rotisserie.

Think it was 150 bucks at homie. Assembled it myself.

I've had it for 4 years now. Keep it clean and it works great.

I keep it outside uncovered and use it on average 2 times a week, way more in the summer, it stays out all year and I grill in the winter too.

Only issue I had was one of the casters got messed up, went to homie and they gave me another one on the spot.

The side burner is nice cause I can make sweet corn or baked beans while grilling and not heating up the house in the summer.

Also it's nice for boiling conchs or cooking shellfish an not stinking up the house.

Awesome grill for the money.

It's propane, but I added some lava rocks to help the heat evenly and added falvor.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I have a Vermont Castings and love it. I'm pretty hard on grills and usually trash them in 3-4 years......I've had this for 6 years now and it still fires up like the day I bought it. Yo0u can also pick up a Smoke Box and put different wood chips in it to impart that smokey flavor on you meat.

Charcoal is for when you have the time to enjoy the cooking....propane is for quick cooking. I want to hit a button and get my supper done before I have to rush out some where.

You'll also spend more money on Charcoal vs Propane. A bag of charcoal will run you $6-7 a bag and you will get 3-4 uses out of it. I use 2 tanks of propane a summer and I grill out 4 nights a week @ $20 a tank

I have both and use both. They both have their uses, and they both can serve up delicious food.

There are Charcoal Purists and Propane Purists, Both will swear there's is the only way to grill. But either one is good.

Basic Benefits of Charcoal are:

Smoky Flavor imparted on everything you cook.
Better Sear on Meats

Basic Benefits of Propane:

Ease of Starting.
Finer Temperature Control

Other than that its the Guy that is using the grill that makes the difference in the food that comes off of it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

By the Way....grab a copy of this book and give it a read. They have a copy of it at the Salisbury Library. One of the best Cookbooks if you are interested in learning about Grilling

Amazon.com: How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques (9780761120148): Steven Raichlen: Books

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
JamesJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I have a Vermont Castings and love it. I'm pretty hard on grills and usually trash them in 3-4 years......I've had this for 6 years now and it still fires up like the day I bought it. Yo0u can also pick up a Smoke Box and put different wood chips in it to impart that smokey flavor on you meat.

Charcoal is for when you have the time to enjoy the cooking....propane is for quick cooking. I want to hit a button and get my supper done before I have to rush out some where.

You'll also spend more money on Charcoal vs Propane. A bag of charcoal will run you $6-7 a bag and you will get 3-4 uses out of it. I use 2 tanks of propane a summer and I grill out 4 nights a week @ $20 a tank

I have both and use both. They both have their uses, and they both can serve up delicious food.

There are Charcoal Purists and Propane Purists, Both will swear there's is the only way to grill. But either one is good.

Basic Benefits of Charcoal are:

Smoky Flavor imparted on everything you cook.
Better Sear on Meats

Basic Benefits of Propane:

Ease of Starting.
Finer Temperature Control

Other than that its the Guy that is using the grill that makes the difference in the food that comes off of it.
Right on here -

I love charcoal and when I BBQ its only on real wood coal, grilling is a different thing. To me the difference is that grilling is open grate cooking over high heat, and it doesnt matter what fuel as you only care about high heat. BBQ is about that smoke flavor.
Vermont castings BTW is very expensive but they are very well built and get rave reviews. One plus is that they are also good about spare parts so the unit will effectively be your grill for a long time.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
blondterror

I have 2 Weber Propane grills ... one in NH and one in MA... both get used year round and have served me well. If you ever need spare parts for almost any gas grill... the BBQ barn in Arlington (MA) stocks most parts and can get you any part withing a few days. They are a great resource.

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Duke41
got gas?

my neighbors
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Jimbo

I bought (admittedly overpaid) a Sterling Forge, propane, stainless steel. I use it year round. Not huge, but haven't had any complaints about what comes off the grill. But when we're at our Cape place though there's a small gas grill we use charcoal 90% of the time.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
HighTide

Send a message via AIM to HighTide
Burnt a hole in my Broil King after 10 yrs- time for a replacement. Looking at a Weber Spirit. We have its predecessor in NH (my father found it in the trash, it was like new) and it's an awesome grill. Also have the Weber kettle grill I use smoking up some ribs and slow cooking on weekends when I have the time.
HighTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
tysdad115

My Webber Summit Platinum grill is great. It can cook for an army, it has a built in rotisserie that is great. I cook everything on it, comes out great. Best of all I used points I earned from GM and it was free!
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
jake

Weber gas grill

I have two weger gas grills. They're great. easy to clean. The're the portable ones.
jake

jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Slingah

BBQ & Grilling are two different cooking terms just like baking, broiling, boiling and frying are different
BBQ = low & slow cooking @ around 225* with charcoal and/or wood
Grilling = high heat @ 5-700* charcoal or gas

I like charcoal...lump preferably.

Live at Leeds
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
Slingah

this is a handy item too....
Maverick Industries

Live at Leeds
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #21
FishermanTim

I thought this would turn into a Hank Hill "charcoal vs. propane" debate?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
Notfishinenuf

best of both worlds:

Char-Griller® Duo Gas Grill & Smoker (789792050508) - Charcoal Grills - Ace Hardware

Gas or charcoal. And if you are cooking for a crew you can use both and never run out of grill space!

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Saltheart

Almost any grill will cook just fine if you get it hot first. For a propane grill that means preheat.

I think the big differences in prices beyond obvious things like twice as big or Stainless exterior , etc is in how long the burners last. All the grill I ever had eventually fied because the burner manifolds crapped ut. A cast manifold made of a nickel containing metal seems to last decades but of course the initial expense is high.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Sea Dangles

I'm on my second weber propane grill in 20 years.Stays out all winter,mostly uncovered.Great bang for the buck.I will be getting a Big Greeen Egg for charcoal Mecca soon though.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Got a weber kettle that I have had for 5 + years still going strong, last fathers day the wife and son got me a kenmore, propane and charcoal, which works great, I still find myself using the charcoal. Gonna use the weber as a smoker now.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #26
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

I went with the Weber because after a little research I found out the the fire box is aluminum and I was tired of cheap ones rusting out on me. I have been very happy with this grill.

Check out this thread from last year. Some great input.

HAPPY GRILLING!!!!

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ll-advice.html

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #27
Bronko

Weber Gold (or Silver Seies) great grill. I have had it for 5 years and it fires right up. Used it for some steak tips last night. Love the thing.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote