Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
MrHunters
What was that!?!

For all those that say Vista go home im switching to Linux

I found this great article.
Ubuntu in 30 days.
Ubuntu is quickly becoming the most popular linux flavor and anyone wanting to give linux a try should (IMO) start there. You dont even need to to install it on you hard drive... The whole OS can run straight from the CD. and its pretty snappy too. It's not without it's bugs but what I've experienced so far is a great free alternative for general day to day computer m#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g.. as you will read, gaming, meh... photo editing... meh.. But all in all relatively solid.
http://consumer.hardocp.com/article....xoY29uc3VtZXI=
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
labrax

Been using Ubuntu for about 3 months now - Kbuntu is supposedly more for people with a windows background. Writing this from FedoraCore 6 laptop - might soon update it to FC7. Ubuntu is very easy though and a great alternative to shelling out a lot of cash for Windows license. I web surf, use email (Evolution email is just as good as Outlook), and the occasional document and spreadsheet (OpenOffice), and listen to music/mp3's and Ubuntu fits the bill perfectly. If you are not intimidated by computers give it a go.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
basswipe

This may sound like a stupid question but can Windows(XP) and Ubuntu exist on the same machine?

The reason I ask is because if there's a problem I would obviously want to be a able to go back to XP.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
basswipe

Nevermind.I found my answers after doing a little research.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
labrax

Sorry, did not see question earlier. As your research shows - they can exist together - there are a couple of things that you can do multiple operating system:

1). You can dual-boot the system with separate installations of Windows XP and Ubuntu (or other Linux distribution).

Or

2). You could download and install VMware (server or workstation) they are now free, and run a virtual OS on top of the Windows XP operatung system. You would run XP and launch the VMware and run that as a separate system. I have that at work - with XP as my main corporate desktop and RedHat Linux 4 and 5 as two separate VMware virtual machines. With VMware server - you can run a bunch of different systems in there if I wanted to.

Have a good evening,

Pete
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
MrHunters
What was that!?!

the only problem with running a vmware version (also google virtualbox) of ubuntu, I haven't been able to get beryl to work which is a great little "skinning" program for the os. It can make your ubuntu or kubuntu look like xp, vista, mac or many other ideas.. but if you don't care what your os looks like and are just using it for the applications then it don't matter and virtual os is just as good.

labrax, i havent install fc6 because my processor isn't supported... go figure. did you notice any benefits from core 5.... i heard they got rid of the core for 7 and now just call it "7"
Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
labrax

Mr. Hunters

Actually had not used it - was on earlier versions FC3 & FC4 and did not use it a whole heck of a lot to be honest - just played with it. Now I have to begin using RHEL 4 & 5, so figured that I should load up Ubuntu and FC6 along with RHEL 4 & 5. I have a long way to go, but I have been playing around with it more, have taken some courses, and have to do it for my work - so there is no option not to.

I will load up '7' or 'FC7' soon though as the wireless support is supposedly better right off the bat.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Funny thing is I haven't spun up my Vistas yet but I do have Unubtu and Suse10 running on VMWare and Edbuntu running on a separate box I'm donating to a friends Day Care

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Adam_777

I had vista for 3 days and reformatted and went back to xp pro sp2.Vista is clunky and new.I may try again in two or three years.Ubuntu I haven't tried but see no need at this stage of the game.Sadly I'm a gamer so if the OS struggles with games I couldn't be bothered.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
labrax

If you do not want vista and you are buying a new machine from a manufacturer - you still may be able to get them to load XP on it. A co-worker of mine did not want a new dell laptop with vista and contacted them and while it took a bit of wrangling - he was able to get XP Pro on the laptop. The corporate (non-retail) market is still getting them with XP on them as a lot of companies have not made the switch over (and there really is no compelling business reason too) to vista. This OS switch is more driven by MS wanting to make some more money on a new OS and it does not seem to offer the business customer any advantage over the XP operating system. From reading TechRepulic and Windows forums postings - this is not the home-run that MS would like people to think it is.

I would consider giving my parents or wife a system with ubuntu or kubuntu linux distributions on them if I had to give them a new machine and the choice was to pay for a new OS to put on the system. The updating is easy, the install is easy, and for web surfing and email and an office productivity suite - well they are good and they are free. I like Windows, but there are other alternatives out there and they are pretty good. Another co-worker got a new dell desktop for just under $300 and he put Ubuntu on it and is extremely satisfied with it. If you are a gamer, or need to run certain software - then that may be a consideration to stick with Windows, but if not - the Ubuntu Linux distribution is not a bad alternative. If you are used to Windows - then try kubuntu - supposedly that is more similar to Windows - where a Ubuntu distribution is a little bit more like a Mac (still similar enough to Windows for a non-Mac guy like myself.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
NJTackle
#1 Plug Building Supply

I'm a windows guy so it never even crossed my mind to switch my OS especially when I run all Windows Servers.

Although not bullet proof, MS has spent some time on the security for Windows XP and Vista.. Just curious....how are these other systems with security, virus attacks, DOS attacks, all ports scans, etc.? In the corporate world workstations sit behind firewalls and routers so running one of these OS's probably isn't that big of a deal. But the average home user hooks directly up to the net and is visible to the world. This may be a huge security risk for some. JMO.

PS - Vista is a pig when it comes to hardware requirements. Unless you are upgrading your PC I'd stay away from any OS upgrade alone. Besides...many old programs & games can NOT run reliable on Vista. I'll do my upgrade when I'm forced to!!!

Last edited by NJTackle; 09-05-2007 at 06:47 AM..

NJTackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrax View Post
If you do not want vista and you are buying a new machine from a manufacturer - you still may be able to get them to load XP on it. A co-worker of mine did not want a new dell laptop with vista and contacted them and while it took a bit of wrangling - he was able to get XP Pro on the laptop. The corporate (non-retail) market is still getting them with XP on them as a lot of companies have not made the switch over (and there really is no compelling business reason too) to vista.
Also check with Microsoft before you get a new PC to confirm if you can get a "downgrade" from Vista due to "application compatibility". What they'll do is give you the license key for Windows XP so you can install that and you'll still be able to run the Vista at a later date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTackle View Post
I'm a windows guy so it never even crossed my mind to switch my OS especially when I run all Windows Servers.

Although not bullet proof, MS has spent some time on the security for Windows XP and Vista.. Just curious....how are these other systems with security, virus attacks, DOS attacks, all ports scans, etc.? In the corporate world workstations sit behind firewalls and routers so running one of these OS's probably isn't that big of a deal. But the average home user hooks directly up to the net and is visible to the world. This may be a huge security risk for some. JMO.

PS - Vista is a pig when it comes to hardware requirements. Unless you are upgrading your PC I'd stay away from any OS upgrade alone. Besides...many old programs & games can NOT run reliable on Vista. I'll do my upgrade when I'm forced to!!!
NJ - these are pretty good. Give me a patched Linux distro to hang outside the firewall for a while before MS any day...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

GEEKS
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
basswipe

Put Ubuntu on my desktop lastnight.Insanely easy and simple to use.
Bye-bye microsoft.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
basswipe

Made the big move and I'm permanently installing Ubuntu right now.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
basswipe

Other than being unfamiliar with Ubuntu and having to learn a new way of doing things...UBUNTU IS AWESOME.I find absolutely no reason to ever have to deal with Microsoft or Apple ever again.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #17
Raven

Question very interesting thread

however i did not find a free version of vmware just the shareware ,,,

labraxx where did you get yours ? anyone please ?'

thanks
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
however i did not find a free version of vmware just the shareware ,,,

labraxx where did you get yours ? anyone please ?'

thanks
if you register with vmware they will send you keys. as many as you want up to 50.

problem with using the vmware version of ubuntu is you can't use the cool video enhancments from....... crap. can't remember the software right now. but its cool
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
labrax

Sorry,

Have not been checking this thread in a bit, in my own little world. Took a week off and have been fighting doing things around the house, bus duty and coaching soccer with fishing and have only hit the site occasionally.

If you register with the VMware folks you can get a serial number for their server product, they still apparently are charging for the workstation product. Here is a link to a community forum for VMWare that contains a good link to a PDF that explains the differences between the two products: http://www.vmware.com/community/thre...44404&tstart=0
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
basswipe

Out of curiosity what's the advantage of running the vmware version of Ubuntu over simply installing it on your hd alongside windows,other than saving disk space?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #21
labrax

I don't have Ubuntu in a VM session - I have a laptop that has XP and Ubuntu on it, so it is a dual-boot system. At work I have XP on the corporate desktop with Red Hat 4 and 5 each in their own VM session. The benefit there - is that you can switch between them and not have to shut one down to access the other one. I am sure that is the same with Ubuntu in a virtual session and XP as the main OS.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #22
basswipe

Quote:
I don't have Ubuntu in a VM session - I have a laptop that has XP and Ubuntu on it, so it is a dual-boot system. At work I have XP on the corporate desktop with Red Hat 4 and 5 each in their own VM session. The benefit there - is that you can switch between them and not have to shut one down to access the other one. I am sure that is the same with Ubuntu in a virtual session and XP as the main OS.
I've had major issues with installing it on a laptop.It just won't install on my old presario 2100.Had to change the boot order and now it continuosly restarts,can't get in safe mode or any mode for that matter.Even after hitting F8 I can read the blue screen after suspending the restart option but no other options work.Took it to the Dx down the road and this isn't an isolated thing,many laptops won't work with linux based op systems.

HP desktop is fine...dual boot system working fine.Go figure.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
labrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I've had major issues with installing it on a laptop.It just won't install on my old presario 2100.Had to change the boot order and now it continuosly restarts,can't get in safe mode or any mode for that matter.Even after hitting F8 I can read the blue screen after suspending the restart option but no other options work.Took it to the Dx down the road and this isn't an isolated thing,many laptops won't work with linux based op systems.

HP desktop is fine...dual boot system working fine.Go figure.
I am using Ubuntu dual booted on a Compaq N800c, which is similar I believe to the 2100 series from Compaq, but not identical. I have FedoraCore 6 dual booted with XP on a smaller Compaq as well, so it can be done. If you are interested, then perhaps you may want to go to LinuxForums.org, or another user forum for that distribution of Linux to see if others have also experienced issues loading a particular distribution, or release on a specific laptop model. There may be something fairly easy that can be done to get you out of the blue screen problem.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 09-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #24
basswipe

Quote:
I am using Ubuntu dual booted on a Compaq N800c, which is similar I believe to the 2100 series from Compaq, but not identical. I have FedoraCore 6 dual booted with XP on a smaller Compaq as well, so it can be done. If you are interested, then perhaps you may want to go to LinuxForums.org, or another user forum for that distribution of Linux to see if others have also experienced issues loading a particular distribution, or release on a specific laptop model. There may be something fairly easy that can be done to get you out of the blue screen problem.

Good luck.

Pete
Will check out that forum.I REALLY want Ubuntu on all my PCs.

Speaking of Vista I guy I work with second kid started college and I got to check out Vista.This was supposed to be an improvement over XP?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #25
Adam_777

Give vista a year or two MS will clean it up and maybe it will run as good as XP .Maybe not........I tried it hated it and went back to XP without looking back.Don't waste your time or money!It a resource hog ,drivers are not out of beta for most products,runs slow.I had it on my Machine Running an FX-62 AMD,2gb ddr,2x Nvidia 8800GTX w/768mb running Sli,Creative X-Fi sound and a watercooled processor to boot.So if it felt slow and clunky on mine chances it'll be worse on just about any computer.I'll be on XP for as long as I can.

On the Ubuntu topic I was looking to install it on an MP3 player or portable harddrive but haven't found any real good info on how to do it.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #26
basswipe

The 7.10 release(Gutsy Gibbon)that was released yesterday is it.Its the version of Ubuntu that truly is usable by all.

I will never use Windows again.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #27
Raven

Question question 4 ya

how long did it take you to download that release?

my crappy connection is telling me 19 friggan hours

i thought it would run off a cd rom ....kind of simplification..
is it that robust?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #28
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
how long did it take you to download that release?

my crappy connection is telling me 19 friggan hours

i thought it would run off a cd rom ....kind of simplification..
is it that robust?
A loooonnnnnggggg time.You're almost better requesting the cd.I did it overnight but be aware towards the end it does prompt you to answer
some questions.

It'll run off the cd but only the version that's on that particular cd.

7.10 is certainly an improvement over 7.04.Looks the same but works better.I'm still reading up on the improvements.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/rele...ffc5c342abb553