Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Plugfest 10 Feb. 20th 2010

What it's all about

Well folks, once again we are getting ready for plugfest.
For those who don't know about plugfest, I will explain a little bit. I will also remind others of how things go so forgive the long post please.
Plugfest is a gathering of obsessed fishermen who craft,modify, or repaint their fishing lures. we get together every winter and trade plugs,share ideas and methods and eat food, usually the eats are as good as the plugs so maybe we can step it up a bit and catch up this year with some great food. We also have some sort of building contest so canalman can win it with an exquisite plug he crafts over the year just kidding Dave.
We also usually have a raffle of some sort where guys can donate plugs etc. to raise money for JohnR for the site or some worthy cause. I am pretty sure ,thanks to JohnR, this year the after costs money raised will be going to a very worthy cause = The Shiraka family will be receiving the proceeds. I am sure his girls can use some help any way possible.

It costs about 10 bucks to get in and you'll get a ballot for voting and an entrance ticket for a door prize IF YOU BRING A FOOD ITEM and a nametag which we would like you to put on please, it helps a lot. Maybe this year if you bring a dish of food or drinks, it will be 5 bucks for you We try to raise enough money to cover the hall expenses.
Hopefully we will have some demonstrations going on also if we get any offers, if we don't I will have to bore you all with some plug turning and thru drilling or something on the lathe. I can bring a spinner and show how I put a finish coat of epoxy on, I'll just use the 30 minute devcon so it will not have to spin all day.
Plugfest is NOT a place to come and sell plugs or buy them, so if that is your intention, please stay home. If you only come to try to ho plugs from guys for nothing, well, you better bring something to trade or forget about it, nobody should be pressured into giving away a work of art which is what these plugs pretty much are. If guys want to hand out plugs that is up to them. It's about commraderie and learning and is supposed to be fun.

Usually a couple of the sponsors come and sell plug building materials, so that stuff will be available too.

This year I'd like to dedicate Plugfest 10 to Flaptail aka Steve Shiraka. Many of us knew Steve and he is always a big part of the plugfests. This year we'd like to have a few specific displays of groups of plugs, i think we have a few lined up already like Eric's goo-goo eyes and more. We'll plan more as the time gets closer. Someone will need to bring a dish of Keilbasa, beans and sweet vidalia onions like Flap always did ???

This year quite a few of us will make contest plugs like I mentioned. This year I'd like to see if everyone could make a Flaptail plug and we'll display them all for all to see. I think we should have the builders name on them if you want or everyone can just sign them. I'd like all who want to, to donate their flaptail plug to a raffle to benefit Steve's family. We'll also have a catagory for fishable plugs and another category for novelty or whatever. We'll discuss this more.

We've not had much trouble of any stealing of plugs or other items in the past, and with so much pluggage just sitting out on tables and being displayed, I would hope not one thing is taken. If anything disappears, it will be the last plugfest so don't even think of lifting anything because that will ruin it forever. I would like to feel comfortable leaving my display out and being able to work at the door collecting for tickets, or going around greeting and trading also. And if we all watch out for each others stuff, there should be no problems. Anyone caught pocketing anything will be promptly tossed in the canal for a swim.

So get your creative juices flowing and knock out some great plugs and do the best you can. With all the knowledge on this site I'm sure they'll catch fish just fine.
Newcomers are welcome also. There will be something for everyone.
See you all there,

slipknot

This year it is on Feb. 20th at the Fraternal Order of Eagles Hall
39 Cohasett Ave, Buzzards Bay, MA
9:00-3:00
we got the use of kitchen again also

google it for directions

Last edited by Slipknot; 02-01-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Directions: 39 Cohasett Ave, Buzzards Bay, MA - Google Maps

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote