Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #361
Backbeach Jake

Wink

Like minds...
Reminds me I gotta go shovel..snow. And get to the JakeCave. Catch you later and thanks for today's lessons..
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #362
mfm22

George looks like you have a nice start to the "lipless" .
where did you get ideas on proto ? what type of wood?

I just turned some musso 6" swimmers and some spin's . Started to make a few BM Schoolie's. Not sure of their fish catching ability ?
That lipless has peaked my curiosity along with your predator knockoffs
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #363
Diggin Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
all on the bandsaw Dave ,, no table saw ..try it .. hold your sled flat on the table ,,cut beak,slope,, everything .. key is your blank firmly in sled,,then its just along for the ride
Thats a good idea Eddie. I'll have to try that.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #364
eastendlu

Morning all i have been off all week and forgot what day it was.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #365
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I've got BS all over the place, but it doesn't help. Does that mean I need a new bandsaw?
What bandsaw do you have as it might just need some tuning.

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #366
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
What bandsaw do you have as it might just need some tuning.
You're still asleep. That was tongue in cheek. I've got a Rockwell 14" (not to mention an ancient 20" Porter Cable in pieces), it could use some tuning (new tires), but everything else is set right. Even with high tension on a high count skip tooth blade (dressed with a stone and running in cool blocks) I don't get smooth enough cuts in maple to avoid sanding.

Eddy has a little bench top delta (I think) with a very thin kerf blade and very high speed. Does a better job for most plug building chores than my real saw. If I had someplace to put it I'd buy one just to do lip slots.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #367
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Paul .. That horizontal hole you drilled side to side in your spook,, Is that below the center of the plug .. Thanks .. can't tell from pic .. looks like thru wire is towards top of hole ..

G.
right thru on center and redrill lead after. The Youzuri had a round ball like a 00 buckshot and was on center. I have not put one below center but might be worth a shot. I also put a belly weight right directly below the horizontal weight too but to be honest i can tell which one it is as I made several last year and hid the darn weights so well i couldn't tell which was which so i disassembled the ones that i used that i liked and found out where the weight was but have not found the one with the belly and thu weight yet. I may not have swam it last year. I now don't try to be too fussy with belly weights so i can tell what I did.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #368
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I am just getting started in darter hell. Will be making fixture's this week hopefully. I am going to do the first part on the table saw as G. convinced me last week when he stopped by. To me this is the most fun part.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #369
eastendlu

Making jigs sometimes (dare i say it) is more fun than making the plug itself.George i am now awake.One of these days i have to get over to your place would love to tinker with some of your older tools.I just got my overtime back so maybe i can get some toys done for some of you guys for plugfest.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #370
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:

Eddy has a little bench top delta (I think) with a very thin kerf blade and very high speed. Does a better job for most plug building chores than my real saw. If I had someplace to put it I'd buy one just to do lip slots.
Thats true ,, little Delta is pissa ($100.00)... I have a larger floor model Delta brandy new I rarely use ,, Its got the power but the speed on the little bench model does a better job .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #371
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I am just getting started in darter hell. Will be making fixture's this week hopefully. I am going to do the first part on the table saw as G. convinced me last week when he stopped by. To me this is the most fun part.
If i was making a jig to do it on a table saw I'd make it larger than it has to be . Cutting little pieces on a table saw is sketchy imho..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #372
WoodyCT

Thanks G.

Quote:
Good morning. Gets later and later each week.

Woody, in my experience decent bass like big lazy slow spooks more than the splashy faster kind. Hard to make yourself work them slow, however, particularly when things are slow and you are searching (same issue arises with swimmers).

Got a big thrill out of F Pintauro's articles about Musso. 2 weeks ago Back Beach was telling me how the "Musso" eely was such a great lure for him at the Race years back. I told him the only eelys I knew of were the BM and Pichney (a style plug I fished years ago a bit but left me underwhelmed). Also they are forward weighted and don't look like fast water plugs to me, so I was surprised (and a little skeptical) they were a hot item at the Race. Accordingly my eyes popped out when lo and behold there is a picture of one in Frank's article. That and a Musso bottle darter, and some lipless swimmers.
Certainly got the juices flowing. Here are some prototypes (next to a copy of a musso pine sr).
I figured folks would like the Musso articles- I sure got a woodie from them. Those, along with the work you and Paul do have me chomping at the bit to get into the shop.

Tried today, but could not what I intended for the Penn State duplicator I received for Xmas isn't going to work out for me. I'd have to make 1/16" thick (THIN!) templates, thus involving metal work, or cut originals in half lengthwise in order to use it. NOT and NOT! Going to return it and buck up for the Vega.

Thinking about a little 1.5oz. Surface Torpedo, like the ones pictured in one article.

Keep up the inspiring work,
W
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #373
Karl F

Woody..
do a home made dupi...
ala fishbumwannabe, or Prof. M's version....
think you will be pleased with that one the most.

do a search for home made duplicator...
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #374
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yes Karl I am still using mine and I have a Vega and it has never been hooked up. For the type of runs I do, 30 would be a max per plug,mostly 5 or 10 it works great and it is kind of old school which I like too. Hell my lathe is probably older than Capesams

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #375
Karl F

found some old pics..

couple shots of the dup and one getting started

Last edited by Karl F; 03-17-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #376
Karl F

roughing/rounding it out with the gouge, using the dup as a the guide,
then getting started with the dup cutter...

Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #377
Karl F

done...
then move on to "orienting" Eddy... cut lip slots, then drilling..

but... 25 danny bodies, turned with the homemade rig.. about an hour and 40 minutes tops I'd guess...

Tain';t booger speed...but for cellar dwellin sawdust sniffers, that ain;'t bad!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #378
Karl F

if my memory serves me right...this may be the same 25 done..

been 4 or 5 years since i took them pics...so.. i think i grabbed them from the right file...

Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #379
go4broke44

in regards to dip priming, I do this as well. 50/50 mix Zinsser shellac based (red label?) and denatured alcohol I believe. a little 220 grit to finish and its good to go.
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #380
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post
I figured folks would like the Musso articles- I sure got a woodie from them. Those, along with the work you and Paul do have me chomping at the bit to get into the shop.

Tried today, but could not what I intended for the Penn State duplicator I received for Xmas isn't going to work out for me. I'd have to make 1/16" thick (THIN!) templates, thus involving metal work, or cut originals in half lengthwise in order to use it. NOT and NOT! Going to return it and buck up for the Vega.

Thinking about a little 1.5oz. Surface Torpedo, like the ones pictured in one article.

Keep up the inspiring work,
W

I have this duplicator and it works great. I make my templates out of wood. I'm all for keeping it simple.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #381
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Good morning. Gets later and later each week.

Woody, in my experience decent bass like big lazy slow spooks more than the splashy faster kind. Hard to make yourself work them slow, however, particularly when things are slow and you are searching (same issue arises with swimmers).

Got a big thrill out of F Pintauro's articles about Musso. 2 weeks ago Back Beach was telling me how the "Musso" eely was such a great lure for him at the Race years back. I told him the only eelys I knew of were the BM and Pichney (a style plug I fished years ago a bit but left me underwhelmed). Also they are forward weighted and don't look like fast water plugs to me, so I was surprised (and a little skeptical) they were a hot item at the Race. Accordingly my eyes popped out when lo and behold there is a picture of one in Frank's article. That and a Musso bottle darter, and some lipless swimmers.
Certainly got the juices flowing. Here are some prototypes (next to a copy of a musso pine sr).

That Musso bottle darter is a dead ringer for a plug I finally got nailed this fall. Just goes to show... aint nothing new.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #382
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
That Musso bottle darter is a dead ringer for a plug I finally got nailed this fall. Just goes to show... aint nothing new.
Yep, just another Italian who was well ahead of his time...

Columbo(Columbus) found this place we live...

Corleone was the modern day father of capitalism..

Balboa beat the Russians...

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #383
pbadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4broke44 View Post
in regards to dip priming, I do this as well. 50/50 mix Zinsser shellac based (red label?) and denatured alcohol I believe. a little 220 grit to finish and its good to go.
Thanks for the reply. I just finished priming around 50. I did 2 coats on one batch then 1 coat on another. I think 2 coats add a xtra layer to cover grain. Do you dip 1 or 2 coats?

Last edited by pbadad; 01-04-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #384
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

And some Italian from Franklin invented the wetsuit potato

Last edited by numbskull; 01-05-2010 at 06:27 AM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #385
Backbeach Jake

funny..

Last edited by Backbeach Jake; 01-05-2010 at 06:37 AM..
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #386
Jigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post
...Tried today, but could not what I intended for the Penn State duplicator I received for Xmas isn't going to work out for me. I'd have to make 1/16" thick (THIN!) templates, thus involving metal work, or cut originals in half lengthwise in order to use it. NOT and NOT! Going to return it and buck up for the Vega....
I started with that dup years ago. Worked out fine for me. Only upgraded when I started doing larger runs of plugs. Like Striperknight suggested, make the templates out of wood. I drew the profile of the plug on a piece of 1/2 inch pine shelving. Cut out the profile, sand it smooth, and then attach to the dup with two sided tape. You'll likely have to make a few adjustments to the dup to get it lined up right. Once you've done it a few times its pretty easy to set up and remove or switch templates.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #387
go4broke44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Thanks for the reply. I just finished priming around 50. I did 2 coats on one batch then 1 coat on another. I think 2 coats add a xtra layer to cover grain. Do you dip 1 or 2 coats?
depends on the grain of whatever wood I'm using, usually ayc, cherry, etc is just one coat. if I'm using mahogany for instance, I might dip, sand, and dip again.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #388
pbadad

I found that out with the grain in the wood. I did 2 looks good. I colored the primer w/ lamp black for a dark gray. 1 coat covers better. Thanks for the input.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #389
go4broke44

speaking of dipping, I found this can of some black exterior oil based super paint and figured I'd try dipping a plug in it just to see how it worked. No sealing, no clear or primer, just the paint.

did a 40 made from ayc I think, took over a week to dry guess I should have thinned it. Finish has held up pretty good though.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #390
WoodyCT

Primer is weak

I've found that having a thick layer of soft primer (like Cover Stain) under paint can result in the paint actually breaking away from the primer.

Ever see the paint and epoxy come off leaving the primer on the wood after dinging rocks?
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote