Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
again, responding to something that no one ever said. do you see how often you do that? even you know you can’t respond to what i said, so you pretend i said something not even close to what i said. don’t you think it’s funny that you either dodge my questions, or respond to something i never said? what does that say about you, that those are your only two options?

i notice that liberals oppose all the things that would help blacks
get ahead - in tact nuclear families, having dads, school choice, jobs over welfare. why, if i didn’t know better, i might conclude
liberals want blacks stuck
in sh*thole cities, because if blacks started thriving they’d move to the suburbs and vote republican.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That’s one of the most delusional statements I’ve ever seen.
Just keep living in your lily white world, where all the Stepford wives are

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-08-2020, 02:29 AM   #32
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
get ahead - in tact nuclear families, having dads, school choice, jobs over welfare.
I feel compelled to step in here and encourage you to take these viewpoints and discuss them with a more diverse group of friend, colleagues, or whomever you associate with who has a background, racial composition and/or set of beliefs different from your own.

There are multiple dimensions to this post that are troubling to me personally, and I think you’d benefit from diving into the preconceived notions you clearly hold which led you to post it. No one here is going to be able to shift your perspective on these things, needs to be people from your circle.

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

amusing coming from you
Old 07-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #34
scottw

Quote:
get ahead - in tact nuclear families, having dads, school choice, jobs over welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I feel compelled to step in here and encourage you to take these viewpoints and discuss them with a more diverse group of friend, colleagues, or whomever you associate with who has a background, racial composition and/or set of beliefs different from your own.

There are multiple dimensions to this post that are troubling to me personally, and I think you’d benefit from diving into the preconceived notions you clearly hold which led you to post it. No one here is going to be able to shift your perspective on these things, needs to be people from your circle.

Ian, just explain to him how liberals support school choice, the traditional family unit and jobs over welfare particularly in the minority communities that they've run for decades and decades and decades
Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #35
spence

Quote:

Liberals are anti dad. Don’t you get that?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just keep living in your lily white world, where all the Stepford wives are
then why do democrats never try anything different in our cities? why in gods name oppose school choice?

democrats have created modern day plantations in our cities, places where 90% of the residents vote democrat. the democrats have a real vested interest in expanding that, not in fixing it.

so liberals enact policies that result in an explosion of fatherlessness, which guarantee that almost none of those people will ever escape the cycle of poverty.

very easy to call me delusional. try something harder, try providing some evidence, any evidence, that i’m wrong.

how about this...during the state if the union, when the republicans were celebrating lowest black unemployment ever, why were the democrats so miserable? you could literally see the dismay on their faces. Why?

Answer - prosperity is not their plan for people in the cities.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:

not sure where you get off assuming that my world
consists of people
only like me. again, why do democrats turn their backs on parents in cities who are begging for school choice? if there are available seats in good schools, by what possible logic would
you reject school choice?

on this issue, it’s the people
in the cities i’m listening to. they desperately want school
choice. liberals, who like to call themselves pro-choice, deny them.

so who needs to listen to others? i am the one who is listening to others.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:

for god’s sake, tell
me what troubling pre conceived notions i have?

i think we are failing our citizens who are stuck in cities, and i advocate for policies which will actually help them. tell
me what’s racist about that, jackass.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Quote:

Ian, just explain to him how liberals support school choice, the traditional family unit and jobs over welfare particularly in the minority communities that they've run for decades and decades and decades
obviously he knows he can’t claim that with a straight face. so instead he calls me a racist. it’s really something. id like i try to implement the policies which social science make crystal clear would help. democrats ignore that science and double down on the same exact failed policies that brought us here. and by his logic, that makes me the racist.

can’t make that up.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
so liberals don’t mock the traditional family, they don’t mock religion, and claim that masculinity is toxic? they don’t claim that it’s healthy for women to dedicate as much energy to working as they do to raising children? i’m making all that up?

spence, do democrats oppose school choice? did they sit on their hands during the SOTU when republicans were celebrating lowest black unemployment ever?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
in the 1950s ( when widespread brutal racism still existed) around 25% of black kids were born without a dad. today it’s about 75%.

Please tell us how you think that happened.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #42
Nebe

Quote:
in the 1950s ( when widespread brutal racism still existed) around 25% of black kids were born without a dad. today it’s about 75%.

Please tell us how you think that happened.

I’ll bite.
A brutal justice system and a rediculus “war on drugs” that is rigged to favor for profit prisons

Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
A brutal justice system and a rediculus “war on drugs” that is rigged to favor for profit prisons

So all of those missing dads got their wives pregnant with the intent of being good dads, but got unjustly locked up.

Let's pretend I believe that. I don't, but lets pretend I do. One of the primary authors of that "brutal" crime bill which did this damage to blacks, was Joe Biden. I don't hear anyone on the left saying he's unfit because of the "brutal" way his policies treated blacks. Why is that?
Old 07-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #44
wdmso

I guess jim fails to understand where the majority of black live what their avg income is crime and punishment impacts .. ect ect..

Yet he sound like a missionary with all the blame and fictional solutions.. I should say no solutions
Mean housing income

Asian alone $114,105
White alone $89,632
Hispanic or Latino $68,319
Black $58,985

Nationwide, black students graduated at a rate of 69 percent; Hispanics graduated at 73 percent; whites graduated at a rate of 86 percent.

The black homeownership rate is now 30.5 percentage points lower than non-Hispanic whites (72.2 percent) and 22 percentage points lower than the national homeownership rate of 63.7 percent. It is also 4.6 percentage points lower than the Hispanic

In 2014, African Americans constituted 2.3 million, or 34%, of the total 6.8 million correctional population.
African Americans are incarcerated at more than 5 times the rate of whites.

What an amazing bubble you operate in...
Old 07-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

Instead of playing your school choice game, let's really desegregate education.

Because despite the Supreme Court’s 1954 Brown versus Board of Education decision to desegregate schools “with all deliberate speed,” too many classrooms are still segregated.

School districts made significant progress toward desegregation after the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but the trend has shifted back toward race-based school segregation. Following court decisions in the late 1960s and 1970s that required Department of Education officials to oversee implementation of desegregation plans, the rate of black students attending majority-white schools increased dramatically from 1 percent in 1963 to 43 percent in 1983. After federal oversight phased out and schools were left to make “good faith efforts” to maintain integration, significant backsliding followed. In 2012, 74 percent of black students and 80 percent of Latino students attended schools that were 50 to 100 percent minority; and of these, more than 40 percent of black and Latino students attended schools that were 90 to 100 percent minority.

This re-segregation trend often concentrates minorities in schools with fewer resources that face challenges attracting and retaining quality teachers. A mounting body of evidence indicates that school segregation has negative impacts on short-term academic achievement of minority students and their success in later life. Integrated schools have a positive impact on all students through promoting awareness and mutual understanding and ensuring that they have the necessary tools to function in an increasingly multicultural society. Not taking intentional steps to ensure that all students have the opportunity to attend quality, integrated schools perpetuates injustice, allowing the mistakes of the past to haunt the future.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I guess jim fails to understand where the majority of black live what their avg income is crime and punishment impacts .. ect ect..

Yet he sound like a missionary with all the blame and fictional solutions.. I should say no solutions
Mean housing income

Asian alone $114,105
White alone $89,632
Hispanic or Latino $68,319
Black $58,985

Nationwide, black students graduated at a rate of 69 percent; Hispanics graduated at 73 percent; whites graduated at a rate of 86 percent.

The black homeownership rate is now 30.5 percentage points lower than non-Hispanic whites (72.2 percent) and 22 percentage points lower than the national homeownership rate of 63.7 percent. It is also 4.6 percentage points lower than the Hispanic

In 2014, African Americans constituted 2.3 million, or 34%, of the total 6.8 million correctional population.
African Americans are incarcerated at more than 5 times the rate of whites.

What an amazing bubble you operate in...
"with all the blame and fictional solutions.. I should say no solutions

Fictional solutions. Yet the social science is clear, that the best defense against poverty by far, is a strong family unit with two parents. That's fictional? That's what you're saying?

As to your other statistics, you are proving my point. Blacks are not thriving like other ethnicities. But the data again is clear. Regardless of race, when their are two committed parents who are married and don't have kids until they are older than 20, very few people live in poverty.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-middle-class/
Old 07-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
Instead of playing your school choice game, let's really desegregate education.

Because despite the Supreme Court’s 1954 Brown versus Board of Education decision to desegregate schools “with all deliberate speed,” too many classrooms are still segregated.

School districts made significant progress toward desegregation after the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but the trend has shifted back toward race-based school segregation. Following court decisions in the late 1960s and 1970s that required Department of Education officials to oversee implementation of desegregation plans, the rate of black students attending majority-white schools increased dramatically from 1 percent in 1963 to 43 percent in 1983. After federal oversight phased out and schools were left to make “good faith efforts” to maintain integration, significant backsliding followed. In 2012, 74 percent of black students and 80 percent of Latino students attended schools that were 50 to 100 percent minority; and of these, more than 40 percent of black and Latino students attended schools that were 90 to 100 percent minority.

This re-segregation trend often concentrates minorities in schools with fewer resources that face challenges attracting and retaining quality teachers. A mounting body of evidence indicates that school segregation has negative impacts on short-term academic achievement of minority students and their success in later life. Integrated schools have a positive impact on all students through promoting awareness and mutual understanding and ensuring that they have the necessary tools to function in an increasingly multicultural society. Not taking intentional steps to ensure that all students have the opportunity to attend quality, integrated schools perpetuates injustice, allowing the mistakes of the past to haunt the future.
You dismiss it as a "game", because your side's stance makes it clear that democrats aren't dedicate to helping blacks advance.

I'll ask for the third time (you are really dodging like a coward). Why do democrats oppose school choice? If good schools have available seats, and there are black students who would benefit from a superior school, why would any sane person oppose school choice? Don't democrats like to identify as being "pro choice"? Seems odd that a group that identifies as being "pro choice", would oppose this particular choice, which has no downside. unless, again, the goal is to keep these people impoverished. What other reason would you oppose school choice?

What do you say to the parents who live in cities, who are desperately begging for school choice? You'd tell them they are merely playing a "game"? You don't think they have a legitimate request?

Seems very callous of you. But I'm the racist, because I want to give them every possible chance to better themselves.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #48
wdmso

Quote:
"with all the blame and fictional solutions.. I should say no solutions

Fictional solutions. Yet the social science is clear, that the best defense against poverty by far, is a strong family unit with two parents. That's fictional? That's what you're saying?

As to your other statistics, you are proving my point. Blacks are not thriving like other ethnicities. But the data again is clear. Regardless of race, when their are two committed parents who are married and don't have kids until they are older than 20, very few people live in poverty.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-middle-class/

Black Population in US: 47.8 million, 14.6% of USA. Think about what I posted 14.6 percent... yet 38% of the prison system..

jim I wish it was as easy as having a homogeneous family... but blacks were in a no better place when blacks had homogeneous family structure ?

And your school choice argument is a red herring argument.... it's about money not choice or willingness to help blacks
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #49
wdmso

THE PROS OF SCHOOL CHOICE AND VOUCHERS
The primary benefit of school choice is that it gives parents the power to make choices for their children, based on their needs, interests and learning styles.
School choice encourages competition among area schools, which has resulted in raising the standard of education throughout all schools.
In areas with failing public schools, students have a chance at a better education when their parents have options for their schooling. The voucher program in Washington, D.C. increased student graduation rates by 21 percent overall and parents reported high levels of satisfaction with the schools.
Vouchers eliminate the need for parents to pay twice for their children's education: once with tax dollars and then again in private school tuition.
Many parents feel that it is not the government's responsibility to tell them where their children should be educated. School choice allows them to enroll their child in a school that better fits their religious, cultural or racial background.
A study shows that school choice and the school voucher program in Louisiana has resulted in reduced racial segregation. Many families have used vouchers to avoid the "school-to-prison pipeline" by getting their children out of racist or gang-dominated schools.
THE CONS OF SCHOOL CHOICE AND VOUCHER PROGRAMS
The voucher program takes money away from the public school system. The lower student population may not offset the decreased budget and this can undermine the value of public education. Many believe that families with the means to send their children to private schools should be responsible for those costs instead of taking money from low-income area public schools.
Many private schools are religious, and opponents of the voucher system believe it constitutes a violation of the separation of church and state.
Public schools are required to meet the needs of disabled and special-needs students while private schools are not, meaning those students are not able to use vouchers.
In some areas, students attending private schools did not perform better academically than public school students. In some cases, students showed no improvement in reading skills and suffered losses in math.
Parents don't always make better school choices for their children. It's important to weigh the pros and cons of each available school as some may not be better than the neighborhood public school.
Private schools can be insular, whereas public schools have a demographic mix of religions, socio-economic groups and cultures. Public schools are important for promoting democracy.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON SCHOOL CHOICE
The Brookings Institution and the Center on Reinventing Public Education studied 18 cities offering public school choice and have published a report on how school choice is playing out for families in those cities. The data in their report, both pro and con, can help focus the school choice debate on facts rather than emotions.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You dismiss it as a "game", because your side's stance makes it clear that democrats aren't dedicate to helping blacks advance.

I'll ask for the third time (you are really dodging like a coward). Why do democrats oppose school choice? If good schools have available seats, and there are black students who would benefit from a superior school, why would any sane person oppose school choice? Don't democrats like to identify as being "pro choice"? Seems odd that a group that identifies as being "pro choice", would oppose this particular choice, which has no downside. unless, again, the goal is to keep these people impoverished. What other reason would you oppose school choice?

What do you say to the parents who live in cities, who are desperately begging for school choice? You'd tell them they are merely playing a "game"? You don't think they have a legitimate request?

Seems very callous of you. But I'm the racist, because I want to give them every possible chance to better themselves.
Are you losing it again, you’re calling people names and have a very thin skin. Did someone take your stapler?

So your solution to pandemic lack of education is to conduct a triage and decide which of the poorly educated should be given a chance at a better education in one of the empty seats in a “good” school.
Every one of them deserves a chance at a good education.
Some children being required to go to a “bad” school because of their socioeconomic status or race is...........

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
Black Population in US: 47.8 million, 14.6% of USA. Think about what I posted 14.6 percent... yet 38% of the prison system..

jim I wish it was as easy as having a homogeneous family... but blacks were in a no better place when blacks had homogeneous family structure ?

And your school choice argument is a red herring argument.... it's about money not choice or willingness to help blacks
If that's because blacks commit a disproportionate share of violent crime, then they should make up a disproportionate share of prisons. Shouldn't they?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #52
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
But yet blacks commit 53% of the murders and 54% of the robberies. That's why they are incarcerated at such a high rate.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
THE PROS OF SCHOOL CHOICE AND VOUCHERS
The primary benefit of school choice is that it gives parents the power to make choices for their children, based on their needs, interests and learning styles.
School choice encourages competition among area schools, which has resulted in raising the standard of education throughout all schools.
In areas with failing public schools, students have a chance at a better education when their parents have options for their schooling. The voucher program in Washington, D.C. increased student graduation rates by 21 percent overall and parents reported high levels of satisfaction with the schools.
Vouchers eliminate the need for parents to pay twice for their children's education: once with tax dollars and then again in private school tuition.
Many parents feel that it is not the government's responsibility to tell them where their children should be educated. School choice allows them to enroll their child in a school that better fits their religious, cultural or racial background.
A study shows that school choice and the school voucher program in Louisiana has resulted in reduced racial segregation. Many families have used vouchers to avoid the "school-to-prison pipeline" by getting their children out of racist or gang-dominated schools.
THE CONS OF SCHOOL CHOICE AND VOUCHER PROGRAMS
The voucher program takes money away from the public school system. The lower student population may not offset the decreased budget and this can undermine the value of public education. Many believe that families with the means to send their children to private schools should be responsible for those costs instead of taking money from low-income area public schools.
Many private schools are religious, and opponents of the voucher system believe it constitutes a violation of the separation of church and state.
Public schools are required to meet the needs of disabled and special-needs students while private schools are not, meaning those students are not able to use vouchers.
In some areas, students attending private schools did not perform better academically than public school students. In some cases, students showed no improvement in reading skills and suffered losses in math.
Parents don't always make better school choices for their children. It's important to weigh the pros and cons of each available school as some may not be better than the neighborhood public school.
Private schools can be insular, whereas public schools have a demographic mix of religions, socio-economic groups and cultures. Public schools are important for promoting democracy.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON SCHOOL CHOICE
The Brookings Institution and the Center on Reinventing Public Education studied 18 cities offering public school choice and have published a report on how school choice is playing out for families in those cities. The data in their report, both pro and con, can help focus the school choice debate on facts rather than emotions.
your "cons" apply to the failing schools, primarily. So are you saying we should force inner city kids to stay in failing schools, to make life easier on the people who work at the failing schools? Isn't this supposed to be for the kids?

school choice can exclude religious schools.

No strong arguments there. The people in the cities want it, because they know it will help their kids.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Are you losing it again, you’re calling people names and have a very thin skin. Did someone take your stapler?

So your solution to pandemic lack of education is to conduct a triage and decide which of the poorly educated should be given a chance at a better education in one of the empty seats in a “good” school.
Every one of them deserves a chance at a good education.
Some children being required to go to a “bad” school because of their socioeconomic status or race is...........
You refused to answer a very simple question. Makes you a coward.

School choice is one solution. Not "the" solution. Best to fix the broken schools, but on the meantime, why let empty seats go to waste at good schools?

So you're opposed to the lottery system. Yet liberals love magnet and charter schools, which usually result in a lottery. What's the difference?

So in your mind, because there aren't enough seats in good schools for all of the city kids, you'd choose to give none of then a seat at a good school, rather than give some of them a shot at a better school.

Again, that's very contrary to the notion that black lives matter.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
But yet blacks commit 53% of the murders and 54% of the robberies. That's why they are incarcerated at such a high rate.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43
But that's because cops look the other way when whites commit murder.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #56
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
But that's because cops look the other way when whites commit murder.
And if you scroll down that link to the 2nd chart and look at the break down for "Under 18" it jumps dramatically in the violent crime categories. That doesn't bode well for the future.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
And if you scroll down that link to the 2nd chart and look at the break down for "Under 18" it jumps dramatically in the violent crime categories. That doesn't bode well for the future.
not much bodes well for the short-term future. Though when I see kids into scouting or martial arts, I have to say I like what I see. Other than that? I dunno...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-08-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #58
wdmso

Quote:
If that's because blacks commit a disproportionate share of violent crime, then they should make up a disproportionate share of prisons. Shouldn't they?
Jim you complaining about black communities and its liberals fault

Than you go back to they committed more crimes what do I expect ..

Why wouldn't they ? Even you paint a Dyer portrayal of their conditions

Cause and effect
Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:

Cause and effect
so you deny that blacks disproportionately commit violent crime? let’s clarify that point.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:

Cause and effect
Liberals run the overwhelming majority of black communities. Whose fault is it, if not the people who run those places?

Liberalism encourages fatherlessness. Liberalism suggests that sex is casual, that the traditional family is an anachronism, that real women can do it all without a man, that divorce is no big deal, that masculinity is toxic, and liberalism also pays teenage girls to have babies, and pays them more if there is no dad around, which to the surprise of no sane person, creates more fatherlessness.

Fatherlessness leads to poverty, which leads to hopelessness, and especially to young boys acting out violently. Which means more arrests.

You go ahead and tell me what I said, which you think is incorrect.

Liberals want their inner city blacks right where they are on the economic ladder. That why every democrat in congress was miserable when Trump announced at the SOTU that black unemployment was at its lowest ever. WHy do you suppose that democrats were so miserable about that fact?

It's also why they oppose school choice. Got to keep them on the plantations that are our modern day cities. Give them just enough to stay alive and vote democrat, never ever give them the tools to get ahead.