Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
pbadad

No Pure turps

It seems the stores around here are going the way of California. Selling no harmful products. I have been using pure turps (gum turpentine ) for years. Making stains and paints up to now. Ran out to pick up more today. Mt supplier no longer carries the product. Not a big fan of the odorless thinner or (God forbid) the environmental thinner, white milk.
What have any of you found as a doable replacement for pure gum turps for mixing Helmsman spar varnish?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
spence

Funny I thought this thread was going to be about purple turnips
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
ed morini

Turps

I hate to say it but The big orange box store has it so does DO It Hardware and Rocky's.

Serwin williams usually stocks it
If your thinning the spar, I'm assuming that your prepping a surface for the the un cut coat. I have been using regular mineral spirits for years with no ill effects. If your sealing plugs mineral spirits has worked very well and a lot cheaper.
Making paints and stains for the most part are made with mineral spirits (usually listed in the cans' label. Again have made many oil stains this way with mineral spirits and all have performed well.

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
pbadad

Ed is mineral spirits marked on can as such or paint thinner? It seems I couldnt find that also. The only one they had other than the enviro ones was odorless paint thinner. Stupid me I was in the orange store the other night and the thought didnt cross my mind.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
ed morini

Turps

I don't like the odorless thinner... doesn't seem to work well in making various concoctions, although it is supposed to be more refined..probably just me

Mineral spirits is usually marked as such. "Do It" hardware stores sells the Sunnyside brand of thinners, from what I've seen. Pure turps, mineral spirits, Vm&P Naphtha (varnish makers & painters), are all readily available.
I've used Vm&P Naphtha to thin spar varnish frequently, but it does speed up the drying time depending on ambient temperature, it's more refined than Naphtha and has a very low flash point.

If i can be of any further help... sing out

Ed

Last edited by ed morini; 11-25-2018 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: added info
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote