Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #91
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Geeeez . . . I thought the very recent Kavanaugh, Covington kids, and Jessie Smollet things would teach us not to rush to judgment!
pete works really hard to convince himself of things.......
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #92
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you are the yin to jim's yang...you complete each other
We try. Soul mates.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #93
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
We try. Soul mates.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #94
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Show me the quote from people at CNN saying that, I heard them say either way it was bad. You certainly think, that someone did something really stupid, was a good outcome and it fits right into your narrative.

How's this fit into the Narrative?

Liberals hurt themselves, Conservatives kill others might be the narrative.

‘Domestic terrorist’ intended to ‘murder on a scale rarely seen’
Federal prosecutors have described a serving lieutenant in the US coast guard as a “domestic terrorist” after uncovering his alleged plot to murder Democratic members of Congress, high-profile journalists and civilians “on a scale rarely seen” in the US. Christopher Hasson, a marine corps veteran currently posted to coast guard HQ in Washington DC, is also thought to be a neo-Nazi, who stockpiled at least 15 guns and 1,000 rounds of ammunition at his basement apartment in Silver Spring, Maryland.

Hit list. In a filing to federal court in Maryland, prosecutors said Hasson kept a spreadsheet of his intended targets, which included Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar, as well as several journalists from CNN and MSNBC.
"Show me the quote from people at CNN saying that"

Here's the quote...

Boykin, a CNN commentator, who said he’s known Smollet for eight years, was "devastated" by the news.

“It’s heartbreaking," he said. "I’m hoping still despite all the overwhelming evidence that is presented that it’s not true

If you're hoping it's not true that he made this up, that necessarily means you are hoping that the hate crime actually happened.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...zxX3tD2GqaDJLY

"You certainly think, that someone did something really stupid, was a good outcome and it fits right into your narrative."

Look Einstein, either this bigoted hate crime happened, or it didn't. I hop it didn't. That means this guy made it up, and I'm sorry for that, I'm not calling for his head, I feel sorry for the guy, although if he did it just to get a salary increase, that's pretty darn bad.

My agenda is to address the real hate and get past the fake hate. If your agenda is a lot different than that, that's your problem.

"Liberals hurt themselves, Conservatives kill others might be the narrative"

Right, right. The 500 murders every year in Chicago, are done by the tiny minority on the city who are Republicans? Or is it all white Republicans from the suburbs who come in to shoot blacks? Stockbrokers and surgeons from the suburbs, go into the city on weekends to shoot blacks, is that what it is?

You're not worth talking to, it took that comment for me to realize that. It was such a stupid, demonstrably false, divisive comment. One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

BOTH SIDES have homicidal maniacs. Hate to break it to you.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #95
Jim in CT

Quote:
If you can still support Don the Con, while ignoring the investigations, indictments, guilty pleas, lies, bullying, child imprisonment, money laundering, racism, misogyny, infidelity, environmental rape, and high treason, you’re not just misinformed.

I can deal with A turd, he's a pile of #^&#^&#^&#^&.
"ignoring the investigations" which have produced zero evidence of an impeachable offense. If that's wrong, please be very specific.

"child imprisonment"

Trump began that process? It wasn't policy that he inherited? Google the photos that people used to hammer Trump, which then turned out to be form the Obama years.

When you list of all of the many moral transgressions, and you make no mention of the accomplishments, anyone would look bad. When you balance the bad with the good, it paints a different picture. Which is why you ignore the good, because you're not interested in the truthful picture, you're interested in The Narrative.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #96
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Geeeez . . . I thought the very recent Kavanaugh, Covington kids, and Jessie Smollet things would teach us not to rush to judgment!
He was not following precedent, he changed the policy to separate ALL children from parents.
Quantity counts, a turd here and there is one thing, a pile you’re a Macher, some people still have a sense of smell.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #97
Jim in CT

Quote:
He was not following precedent, he changed the policy to separate ALL children from parents.
Quantity counts, a turd here and there is one thing, a pile you’re a Macher, some people still have a sense of smell.
"Quantity counts,"

SO putting 5 year-olds in cages is OK, as long as you do it less than a maximum number of times?

Off the top of your head, without looking, do you have any idea how often Obama did it, and how often Trump did it? I bet you don't. Yet somehow, you know Obama did it an acceptable number of times, but Trump exceeded that number. Funny how that always works out for you.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #98
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Show me the quote from people at CNN saying that"

Here's the quote...

Boykin, a CNN commentator, who said he’s known Smollet for eight years, was "devastated" by the news.

“It’s heartbreaking," he said. "I’m hoping still despite all the overwhelming evidence that is presented that it’s not true

If you're hoping it's not true that he made this up, that necessarily means you are hoping that the hate crime actually happened.

Think about it, make believe you had a friend and he was accused of something bad. What would you say?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...zxX3tD2GqaDJLY

Another way to look at it:“Good news is Melania’s speech got more publicity than any in the history of politics,” he said, “especially if you believe that all press is good press!”

"You certainly think, that someone did something really stupid, was a good outcome and it fits right into your narrative."

Look Einstein, either this bigoted hate crime happened, or it didn't. I hop it didn't. That means this guy made it up, and I'm sorry for that, I'm not calling for his head, I feel sorry for the guy, although if he did it just to get a salary increase, that's pretty darn bad.

My agenda is to address the real hate and get past the fake hate. If your agenda is a lot different than that, that's your problem.

"Liberals hurt themselves, Conservatives kill others might be the narrative"

Right, right. The 500 murders every year in Chicago, are done by the tiny minority on the city who are Republicans? Or is it all white Republicans from the suburbs who come in to shoot blacks? Stockbrokers and surgeons from the suburbs, go into the city on weekends to shoot blacks, is that what it is?

You're replying to something I never said, as usual. Are you saying all blacks are liberals or just that murderers if they are not right wing terrorists are all liberals?

You're not worth talking to, it took that comment for me to realize that. It was such a stupid, demonstrably false, divisive comment. One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

BOTH SIDES have homicidal maniacs. Hate to break it to you.
Right-wing extremism in the United States appears to be growing. The number of terrorist attacks by far-right perpetrators rose over the past decade, more than quadrupling between 2016 and 2017. The recent pipe bombs and the October 27, 2018, synagogue attack in Pittsburgh are symptomatic of this trend. U.S. federal and local agencies need to quickly double down to counter this threat. There has also been a rise in far-right attacks in Europe, jumping 43 percent between 2016 and 2017.

The threat from right-wing terrorism in the United States—and Europe—appears to be rising. Of particular concern are white supremacists and anti-government extremists, such as militia groups and so-called sovereign citizens interested in plotting attacks against government, racial, religious, and political targets in the United States. The October 27, 2018, Pittsburgh synagogue shooting by Robert Bowers, and the arrest a day earlier of Cesar Sayoc who sent pipe bombs to prominent Democrats, appear to be the most recent manifestations of this trend. Both perpetrators were far-right extremists. Although violent left-wing groups and individuals also present a threat, far-right-networks appear to be better armed and larger. There also is a continuing threat from extremists inspired by the Islamic State and al-Qaeda. But the number of attacks from right-wing extremists since 2014 has been greater than attacks from Islamic extremists.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #99
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Good job here, boys. Another thread driven right off the rails.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #100
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Quantity counts,"

SO putting 5 year-olds in cages is OK, as long as you do it less than a maximum number of times?

Off the top of your head, without looking, do you have any idea how often Obama did it, and how often Trump did it? I bet you don't. Yet somehow, you know Obama did it an acceptable number of times, but Trump exceeded that number. Funny how that always works out for you.
Quantity referred to the smoke around Trump and his associates but since you asked.

No, I have time, I'll look it up for you. I've looked at the issue before.

It's really not that hard to understand the difference.

BUSH

President George W. Bush began the trend of a "zero tolerance" approach in 2005 with Operation Streamline, but during his administration, exceptions were generally made for adults traveling with minors.

OBAMA

U.S. President Barack Obama made changes to immigration policy, releasing parents and focusing on deportation of immigrants who committed crimes in the U.S. Attempting to cope with the 2014 American immigration crisis, a surge of refugees fleeing violence in Central America, while complying with the 1997 Flores v. Reno Settlement Agreement consent decree by keeping families together, under Obama the Department of Homeland Security built family detention centers in Pennsylvania, New Mexico, and Texas.

In 2015 Obama introduced the Family Case Management Program which, according to the fact sheet about the program, specifically prioritized "families with certain vulnerabilities, including pregnant or nursing family member; those with very young children; family members with medical/mental health concerns; families who speak only indigenous languages; and other special needs" to offer an alternative to being held in detention centers while awaiting the court to process their asylum claims, which often takes years.

Jeh Johnson, who served as homeland security secretary under Obama, said he did not separate children and parents despite the enormous surges of unaccompanied minors and families that came across the border in 2014 fleeing Central American violence.

"In three years on my watch, we probably deported or returned or repatriated about a million people to enforce border security. One of the things I could not do is separate a child from his or her mother, or literally pull a mother from his or her arms," Johnson said on MSNBC last week. “I just couldn’t do it.”

Obama’s top domestic policy adviser, Cecilia Muńoz, said the Obama administration did consider a similar policy, but determined it heartless.

"The agencies were surfacing every possible idea,” Muńoz told The New York Times in an interview recently. "I do remember looking at each other like, ‘We’re not going to do this, are we?’ We spent five minutes thinking it through and concluded that it was a bad idea. The morality of it was clear — that’s not who we are."

TRUMP

The Trump administration family separation policy was an aspect of U.S. President Donald Trump's immigration policy. The policy was presented to the public as a "zero tolerance" approach intended to deter illegal immigration and to encourage tougher legislation. It was adopted across the whole U.S.–Mexico border from April 2018 until June 2018.

Under Trump's policy, federal authorities separated children from parents or guardians with whom they had entered the US. The adults were prosecuted and held in federal jails, and the children placed under the supervision of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The Trump administration separated 1,995 children from 1,940 adults from April 19 to May 31, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security said Friday, a period in which the "zero tolerance" policy was in effect.

President Donald Trump rescinded the policy June 20, 2018, after a public outcry about it. The Department of Health and Human Services initially reported caring for 2,654 children after Trump's order.

But the department’s inspector general reported Thursday that Customs and Border Protection’s El Paso sector had begun implementing policies that separated families in July 2017.

Under a federal court order, HHS eventually identified 2,737 children that were cared for after Trump’s order.

“However, thousands of children may have been separated during an influx that began in 2017, before the accounting required by the court, and HHS has faced challenges in identifying separated children,” the 24-page report said.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #101
detbuch

Quote:
So you try to justify one out of nine rushes to judgement. That's weak. And wrong. Trump didn't change the supposed precedent. Sessions did. And Sessions was following the law. And Trump was the one who ended it.

If the law had been followed correctly in the past, many parents would likely have changed their minds about trying to illegally cross the border, especially with their children. And the children were often used to help game the system. And American children are routinely separated from parents who are incarcerated. The whole thing was a dumb meme to smear the attempt to restrict illegal immigration.

Your screed accused Trump of things before he has actually been convicted of them--a rush to judgment--as well as trying to make him out to be a far greater and beastly dropper of turds than he is.

The overkill does not speak well of you.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #102
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Its going to hurt this guy, a lot.
you might be right, the chief of chicago police wasn’t very happy. he was awesome.

i also saw some of this guys tweets about Trump, he
makes Pete look like Sean Hannity.

today’s liberals act like we’re living in birmingham in the 1950s. because they hate the president and becuse things are going mostly well, they have to invent mass bigotry.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #103
Jim in CT

If Trump REALLY, REALLY wants to give the liberals the final shove to send them off the cliffs of insanity, if he wants to destroy the last speck of sanity left in their brains, he should pardon this guy. If he did do, they'd nominate Stalin to run against him in 2020. I think this guy is insane, probably doesn't belong in prison, and he might like it there anyways. Flip the script and pardon him, and watch the left's final descent into the depths of insanity (not a very long trip from where they are at the moment)

And Don Lemon says it's not the Smollett's fault, because "maybe, who knows", his agents put him up to it. Isn't he still responsible for oh the hell with it...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-21-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Old 02-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #104
spence

Quote:
If Trump REALLY, REALLY wants to give the liberals the final shove to send them off the cliffs of insanity, if he wants to destroy the last speck of sanity left in their brains, he should pardon this guy. If he did do, they'd nominate Stalin to run against him in 2020. I think this guy is insane, probably doesn't belong in prison, and he might like it there anyways. Flip the script and pardon him, and watch the left's final descent into the depths of insanity (not a very long trip from where they are at the moment)

And Don Lemon says it's not the Smollett's fault, because "maybe, who knows", his agents put him up to it. Isn't he still responsible for oh the hell with it...
Jim, you OK? I’m serious.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #105
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim, you OK? I’m serious.
your side humiliated themselves yet again, the only question is how much this helps the gop, so i’m good, thanks! and the stock market is rocking so far this year.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #106
Jim in CT

spence and paul, why do you suppose Smollet assumed he’d get away with this?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #107
Jim in CT

although i guess a potus can’t pardon a state crime, learn something new every day.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #108
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
spence and paul, why do you suppose Smollet assumed he’d get away with this?
Because he is a moron, obviously.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #109
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Because he is a moron, obviously.
Exactlly. Stupid people do stupid stuff every day.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #110
Sea Dangles

This man has unified the country as well as this board. Anyone with any common sense admits he is stupid.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #111
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
This man has unified the country as well as this board. Anyone with any common sense admits he is stupid.
I'm sure spence could defend him....he's got an impressive resume
Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #112
Jim in CT

Quote:
Exactlly. Stupid people do stupid stuff every day.
I agree with that, and often it's me doing the stupid stuff.

But there are a million ways you can perpetrate a hoax. Why did he pick this exact scenario, where white Trump supporters attacked him for being black and gay? Why do you think, of the limitless choices available to him, he selected to fabricate a racist and homophobic attack at the hands of white Trump supporters. Maxine Waters, a member of Congress, explicitly blamed Trump.

I saw an hysterical actress on a late night show essentially blame Pence, she was quivering and shaking, saying that if Pence dedicates his life to hating people, he can't be surprised when these things happen. This is the same Pence who repealed an Indiana state law, which said that Christian business owners don't have to participate in gay weddings, he acted exactly the way Smollett would have wanted him to. But that doesn't matter. Pence is white with grey hair, so being a victim at his hand, is a badge of honor that comes with significant rewards. THAT is what Smollett was seeking.

There were two actual hate crimes recently, a conservative at Berkley (the place of tolerance) who got assaulted for his beliefs, and that maniac in the Coast Guard who wanted to kill democrats. Scary times.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #113
PaulS

I think he did it so conserv. heads would explode.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #114
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think he did it so conserv. heads would explode.
In other words, the answer to my question doesn't serve your agenda, so you won't answer.

I guess some of that (seeking success via victim status) happens on both sides. But it's like a currency on the left these days, it's constant. It never stops among the democrat leaders, among the media, and Hollywood.

The guy needs help, and looks like a prime suspect for suicide to me.

I do my taxes soon, and will then book some fishing trips for spring/summer. Can't get here fast enough.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #115
spence

Quote:
your side humiliated themselves yet again, the only question is how much this helps the gop, so i’m good, thanks! and the stock market is rocking so far this year.
Only one humiliated here is Smullett, he's got issues.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #116
spence

Quote:
seeking success via victim status
This is the core strategy of the Trump campaign.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #117
Jim in CT

Quote:
Only one humiliated here is Smullett, he's got issues.
"Only one humiliated here is Smullett"

Not by a long shot. Kamela Harris, Corey Booker, Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters for damn sure, god knows how many cable news hosts and guests, god knows how many celebrities. And that includes some conservatives.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #118
Jim in CT

Quote:
This is the core strategy of the Trump campaign.
The core strategy of his re-election campaign, will be the economy. Character, I suppose, will not be a key theme.

He is a victim. It takes a lot of work to make a guy that gross, appear sympathetic, but the left has done it. Because they can't be fair. And by "fair", I don't mean to follow Sean Hannity's lead and lick his boots all day. "Fair" means criticize him when he deserves it, compliment him when he deserves it. The left can't come close to doing that.

Look at the democrat Congressional reaction to good news presented during the SOTU. They were absolutely miserable that good things took place during Trumps presidency. I'm not saying that Republicans didn't want Obama to fail, of course they did. But they weren't this overt, it wasn't all they did.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #119
scottw

Quote:

The core strategy of his re-election campaign, will be the economy. Character, I suppose, will not be a key theme.
name a politician for whom character is a key theme
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #120
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
name a politician for whom character is a key theme
Eisenhower?

Not many have the character issues Trump has. But his character isn’t as bad as the left wants us to believe. but his policies have mostly been very good.