Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Clearly, because without specifics that's exactly what he's proposing.

-spence
Spency, what about that $40 trillion gap I asked you about? Nothing to say? Not at all? Can you at least admit that you have no idea how to address that gap, and that therefore those programs might genuinely need a haircut in order to be saved? Would it literally kill you to admit that?

Now I know why Obama stunk last night. I needed Al Gore to explain it...it was the high altitude in Denver. I guess the atmosphere is racist.

Gore blames Denver altitude for Obama's debate performance | Fox News
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spency, what about that $40 trillion gap I asked you about? Nothing to say? Not at all? Can you at least admit that you have no idea how to address that gap, and that therefore those programs might genuinely need a haircut in order to be saved? Would it literally kill you to admit that?
Nobody has a plan to fully address the increase in estimated spending.

There was a good report I saw the other day that showed the Obama and Ryan plans for Medicare had about the same impact, just achieved via different means. Romney is even worse as he's making promises he can't keep to maintain spending levels longer than Obama.

-spence
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Nobody has a plan to fully address the increase in estimated spending.

There was a good report I saw the other day that showed the Obama and Ryan plans for Medicare had about the same impact, just achieved via different means. Romney is even worse as he's making promises he can't keep to maintain spending levels longer than Obama.

-spence
"Nobody has a plan to fully address the increase in estimated spending."

Paul Ryan does. Your side attacked him for it, and offered exactly nothing as an alternative.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #34
Slipknot
Super Moderator

It's times like these that I wish Ross Perot had the stones to stay in the race back when he ran instead of dropping out then getting back in after the media investigated his family(he should have expected thatand had thinker skin to deal with it) Perot would have gotten this country out of debt I believe. He was on the right track.
But then again, once the democrats got back in power, it would have all gone to heck anyway

I think Romney won this debate
Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
"Nobody has a plan to fully address the increase in estimated spending."

Paul Ryan does. Your side attacked him for it, and offered exactly nothing as an alternative.
He really doesn't. His plan relies on ridiculous revenue increases and spending cuts that would have to be absorbed by states none of which are prepared.

I can give you a plan...doesn't mean it's a feasible one.

-spence
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
Piscator

Stop all this BS spending, that is a great start. I'm in.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Stop all this BS spending, that is a great start. I'm in.
Yes, Romney's proposal to cut PBS has great merit. He's really focused on the problem.

-spence
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #38
Piscator

Quote:
Yes, Romney's proposal to cut PBS has great merit. He's really focused on the problem.

-spence
You make me giggle.......

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #39
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuttlebutt;962068

[COLOR="blue"
Are Americans really that dumb where the Government needs to help us to succeed? Ladders and frameworks = hand-outs and entitlements.[/COLOR]

And there in lies what this election is all about.
Do away with all the rhetoric and BS and it comes down to this :

Do you want to be independent, free to make your own choices and decesions
or have a Government do it for you with all it's consequences?

America was founded on the former after having had enough of the latter.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
He really doesn't. His plan relies on ridiculous revenue increases and spending cuts that would have to be absorbed by states none of which are prepared.

I can give you a plan...doesn't mean it's a feasible one.

-spence
Spence, you didn't have to tell me (or anyone here) that you don't like Ryan's plan. The point is, Ryan is a congressman from Wisconsin, and he had the political courage to announce a plan that he knew he would get attacked for.

What better alternative has Obama suggested in 4 years? None. And if Obama isn't going to change the plans, how has he said he'd get the $40 trillion? Not a peep.

And that's fine with you. You are critical because you don't like Ryan's plan, but you are in love with Obama, who has offered exactly nothing. Actually, by taking billions from Medicare to fund Obamacare, he is making it worse, but why quibble?

Good day.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #41
Scuttlebutt
Guess what...

Quote:

-spence
Last time I checked there was no requirement in the Constitution for taxpayers to support a public tv station. Privatize it. Romney's comments were symbolic...anyone could see that.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #42
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:

-spence
0.00012% of the budget saved!
BIG MONEY! NO WHAMMIES!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #43
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Big Bird will be fine. Jack up Elmo's licensing fees by 2-3% and you'll probably cover the meager funds federal government spends on Public Broadcasting.

The point was - for those that chose to ignore it - if we are going to continue to borrow money from our children and children's children we should at least see if it passes the smell test. We are spending far too much to be borrowing on anything and everything. Both Parties are responsible for this.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #44
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Big Bird will be fine. Jack up Elmo's licensing fees by 2-3% and you'll probably cover the meager funds federal government spends on Public Broadcasting.

The point was - for those that chose to ignore it - if we are going to continue to borrow money from our children and children's children we should at least see if it passes the smell test. We are spending far too much to be borrowing on anything and everything. Both Parties are responsible for this.
He used a super right hyped item that the mouth breathers salivate over.
Nothing more, nothing less.

The fact that the dog and pony show is being discussed any more than "wow, that was a waste of time, neither brought anything new to the table" is amazing.

Romney is a business man, of course he's going to win a debate, his job is to make you feel all warm and fuzzy while jamming it up your back end. Obama is a politician, his job is to make you feel all warm and fuzzy while jamming it up your back end.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #45
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Clearly, because without specifics that's exactly what he's proposing.

-spence
as opposed to the concrete plan of hope and change 4 years ago......

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #46
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Romney is a business man, of course he's going to win a debate, his job is to make you feel all warm and fuzzy while jamming it up your back end. Obama is a politician, his job is to make you feel all warm and fuzzy while jamming it up your back end.
I love your perception of business men - I have seen some of the best and brightest "disappear" when they dont produce results. Business has no conscience, produce results or you're shown the door. Romney's shareholders will be the American people, he will need to produce results or be shown the door. Obama has shown us his results, there is the door.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
PaulS

I'm confused, where did the "severely conservative" go? This is the guy I could vote for - but how can I be sure he won't change his stripes again?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
He used a super right hyped item that the mouth breathers salivate over.
Nothing more, nothing less.

The fact that the dog and pony show is being discussed any more than "wow, that was a waste of time, neither brought anything new to the table" is amazing.

For someone who only casually watches the news, they might think that Obama is some brilliant, slightly-more-than-human, walks-on-water Messiah. That's how Obama sees himself, and the media bends over backwards to reinforce that.

This debate debunked that myth. This debate showed exactly what happens when you pair off one guy who got where he is because he is black and knows how to use that to his advantage, against another guy who made it to the top of the hyper-competitive business world thanks to his brains and his sweat.

No idea what this means in the polls. But it shows what an empty suit Obama is.

What was Obama's excuse? What did Obama say the next day? Some deranged claim that "it wasn't Mitt Romney" who Obama debated. That's the best the Messiah could come up with.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'm confused, where did the "severely conservative" go? This is the guy I could vote for - but how can I be sure he won't change his stripes again?
I never saw r as severly conservative. he has changed his stripes on some issues, but so has obama (gay marriage?)

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #50
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I never saw r as severly conservative. he has changed his stripes on some issues, but so has obama (gay marriage?)
While Romney said it, I never believed him. Atleast Obama said his thoughts evolved.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #51
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
While Romney said it, I never believed him. Atleast Obama said his thoughts evolved.
so if you dont believe what Romney says, do you judge him on his actions?
The guy was the governor of one of the most liberal states, had first state healthcare, supported education. Those were his actions?
Just curious.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #52
Scuttlebutt
Guess what...

I saw this last night...is this the leader we want to bring this country together...you decide!

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/02/ob...S8XIOcpzf13thD
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #53
PaulS

Quote:
so if you dont believe what Romney says, do you judge him on his actions?
The guy was the governor of one of the most liberal states, had first state healthcare, supported education. Those were his actions?
Just curious.
Depends on a lot of things. Did he change his mind based on more facts. Did he try to do what he said he would do and couldn't get it done. Did he deny he did some of the things he did. Etc.

If he ran on his record in Mass, I'd vote for him. Not so sure now.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #54
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Depends on a lot of things. Did he change his mind based on more facts. Did he try to do what he said he would do and couldn't get it done. Did he deny he did some of the things he did. Etc.

If he ran on his record in Mass, I'd vote for him. Not so sure now.
to be honest, he changed his story to secure the right wing and get the Repub nomination.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #55
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
For someone who only casually watches the news, they might think that Obama is some brilliant, slightly-more-than-human, walks-on-water Messiah. That's how Obama sees himself, and the media bends over backwards to reinforce that.
Please show us examples of your opinions. Thanks.

Quote:
I love your perception of business men - I have seen some of the best and brightest "disappear" when they dont produce results. Business has no conscience, produce results or you're shown the door. Romney's shareholders will be the American people, he will need to produce results or be shown the door. Obama has shown us his results, there is the door.
I love your perception of your own grandiose thoughts on politics and business.

Oooooh "best and brightest"! Buzzwords at their best.
I suppose Romney is gonna tell us next how he will unilaterally save the economy while rocking his bizmeth skills to restructure government then make taxes multi-centric?!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
Sure.

At his 2008 covention speech, he stood between 2 Greek columns like he was a Greek God. At his inauguration speech (I think), he said something to teh effect of "let today be the day we remember as the day the earth began to cool,and the waters stopped rising".

Likwid, people were claiming to be fainting at every speech the guy gave.

Chris Mathews (MSNBC) said he got a tingle up his leg every time Obama speaks.

We elected a guy whose resume included 3 years in the Senate where he did exactly notihng except run for President. I'm not sure on what basis you elect a guy President who has never done a single significantthing, but this is what we get.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #57
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

I suppose Romney is gonna tell us next how he will unilaterally save the economy while rocking his bizmeth skills to restructure government then make taxes multi-centric?!
not grandiose, i have seen harvard/yalegrads, with years of experience, shown the door, ceos turn over all the time. You have to perform in business. Results matter. You dont have to perform as a law professor. its a different game.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:

Likwid, Romney was a hugely successful businessman. That takes some talent. Unlike Obama, he didn't get to be the CEO of Bain Capital because of affirmative action. Romney was at the helm of a firm that made a lot of money. You can't deny that. If Romney was as incompetent as Obama, Bain would have gone bankrupt. Romney didn't add $5 trillion to Bain's debt. He actually created wealth. More than we can say for the Messiah.

We can argue about whether or not business success is a valid credential for being a President, but Romney's business success is a zillion times more tangible than anything Obama did before getting elected.

Where am I wrong?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #59
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Likwid, Romney was a hugely successful businessman. That takes some talent. Unlike Obama, he didn't get to be the CEO of Bain Capital because of affirmative action. Romney was at the helm of a firm that made a lot of money. You can't deny that. If Romney was as incompetent as Obama, Bain would have gone bankrupt. Romney didn't add $5 trillion to Bain's debt. He actually created wealth. More than we can say for the Messiah.

We can argue about whether or not business success is a valid credential for being a President, but Romney's business success is a zillion times more tangible than anything Obama did before getting elected.

Where am I wrong?
and if Romney performed poorly he we would be fired. Just like every other ceo that performs poorly. So BS may get them in the door, but they have to deliver.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #60
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
and if Romney performed poorly he we would be fired. Just like every other ceo that performs poorly. So BS may get them in the door, but they have to deliver.
Wasn't Bain his company....?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"