Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Liberal response to Trumps Chinese travel restrictions

I posted that Trump restricted travel from China very early in the coronavirus developments, and that he was criticized for doing so. I posted many links for RIROCKHOUND.

Spence, perhaps suffering from menstrual issues, is denying that I supported my claim, Paul claims that only a small time mayor criticized Trump.

Here's an article from the NYPost ( obviously a right wing outlet, no denying that), which claims:

Biden called Trumps travel ban "hysteria", "xenophobioc", and "fear-mongering."

China called him racist

CNN warned it could backfire by making China upset (that's what the POTUS is supposed to make policy around, during a global pandemic, China's feelings)

WHO director said it would increase fear

If the author of this piece fabricated these accusations, she deserves to be fired...

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/critic...kening-devine/

And here's what Chuck Schumer tweeted about the Chinese travel restrictions:

"The premature travel ban to and from China by the current administration is just an excuse to further his ongoing war against immigrants. "

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...mmigrants.html

Paul S, you claimed I was hanging my hat on what a small town mayor said. Instead, I'm relying on Biden, Schumer, and CNN. Is that good enough for you? Is that the same as relying on a small town mayor? Or do I have a valid point? You tell us if I have a better point than I would if I only quoted a small town mayor...
Old 03-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
PaulS

He is xenophobic. Do you deny that?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
He isn't.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
spence

Jim should read his own links, do a little work.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
A xenophobe is someone prejudiced against those from other countries. He is married to someone from another country. So even though he's a crappy husband and she is white and hot, xenophpbe isn't the word I'd use. "Azzhole" I smore along the lines of what I'd use, he definitely shows a lack of empathy.

At a minimum, he's not shy about throwing little people from other nations under the bus, if he thinks it will help Americans. I haven't decided yet, if that's a bad trait in an American President.

Anyway, to your point, IN GENERAL he's not as respectful as he should be, to our neighbors.

But more to the point of this thread, I don't think his travel ban was the least bit xenophobic. I think it was a principled response to an obvious public health threat. Do you think it was xenophobic to restrict travel from China in response to the Chinese outbreak of this disease? Any chance you can answer that question? Any chance at all?

Again, all you can do in response to my post, all you can do, is criticize Trump. You can't just say "it's idiotic for others to assume the travel ban was rooted in xenophobia or racism, and idiot can see the benefit of such restrictions in the early days of such an outbreak".

You could also admit that people with larger megaphones than mayor of a dinky town, said what I claimed they said. Would that kill you?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim should read his own links, do a little work.
You're just useless now. I tried, I made the exact posts you asked for. But because these posts indicate that someone to the left of center said some things they shouldn't have said, you can't process it, your brain shuts down there.

For Gods sake man, you hid from here for months because your candidate didn't win. who does that? Grow a pair, and admit to yourself that there's good and bad on both sides.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
ABut more to the point of this thread, I don't think his travel ban was the least bit xenophobic. I think it was a principled response to an obvious public health threat. Do you think it was xenophobic to restrict travel from China in response to the Chinese outbreak of this disease? Any chance you can answer that question? Any chance at all?

Again, all you can do in response to my post, all you can do, is criticize Trump. You can't just say "it's idiotic for others to assume the travel ban was rooted in xenophobia or racism, and idiot can see the benefit of such restrictions in the early days of such an outbreak".

You could also admit that people with larger megaphones than mayor of a dinky town, said what I claimed they said. Would that kill you?
And can you admit that just bc a few people say something and they have the same political leaning doesn't mean that all people of that group believe it.

And I made up the quote of the mayor to illustrate that point.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
You're just useless now. I tried, I made the exact posts you asked for. But because these posts indicate that someone to the left of center said some things they shouldn't have said, you can't process it, your brain shuts down there.
READ YOUR OWN LINKS.

Quote:
For Gods sake man, you hid from here for months because your candidate didn't win. who does that? Grow a pair, and admit to yourself that there's good and bad on both sides.
Get some new material.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
And can you admit that just bc a few people say something and they have the same political leaning doesn't mean that all people of that group believe it.

And I made up the quote of the mayor to illustrate that point.
I asked if the travel ban could, looking at it through the lense of what was happening, be reasonably considered to be bigoted.

You responded by insulting me. You can't just concede my point.

Paul, obviously, not every single person who voted for Hilary, thinks the travel restrictions were bigoted. But did any influential liberals, defend the ban, when other influential liberals claimed it was bigoted?

The best you can do, is tell me I'm wrong when I say "liberals don't like Trump", because it's not true in literally 100% of the cases. That's not nit-picking.

Maybe one day you can answer the question I ask...
Old 03-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Get some new material.
OK. For the 100th time, can you tell us why dips in the stock market are bad for anyone who (1) doesn't need the money soon, and (2) contributes regularly to a 401k or IRA? I asked that many times, you won't answer.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
A xenophobe is someone prejudiced against those from other countries. He is married to someone from another country. So even though he's a crappy husband and she is white and hot, xenophpbe isn't the word I'd use. "Azzhole" I smore along the lines of what I'd use, he definitely shows a lack of empathy.

His first wife, Ivana, was also from another country. The lefties on this forum keep criticizing him for being cozy to foreign leaders from countries who they say are our enemies. He has better relations with Israel than many of our beloved leaders. People like PaulS and PeteF and Spence like to have it both ways. They're either mistaken, or liars, or political hacks, or they are just trolling you.

At a minimum, he's not shy about throwing little people from other nations under the bus, if he thinks it will help Americans. I haven't decided yet, if that's a bad trait in an American President.

??? What are you talking about?

Anyway, to your point, IN GENERAL he's not as respectful as he should be, to our neighbors.

I don't know of a specified or codified proper amount of respect, quantifiable or otherwise, that he is supposed to show. He doesn't seem to show any more lack of respect to various Americans as he has, if he has, than to our neighbors. He does have an in-built trigger to throw back insults to those, from any country, who trash him.

But more to the point of this thread, I don't think his travel ban was the least bit xenophobic. I think it was a principled response to an obvious public health threat. Do you think it was xenophobic to restrict travel from China in response to the Chinese outbreak of this disease? Any chance you can answer that question? Any chance at all?

Quit trying to be fair with these guys who are not fair with you. To begin with, understand this: they are mostly full of $hit. Mostly, they are not worth responding to. They have been so totally wrong about Trump, and his supposed collusions and obstructions and supposed racism, and all his supposed phobes and Nazism, etc. They have, for whatever reason, some form of TSD, or just plain hate him. Their post re him range from simple bias to irrational rants. They are not worth trying to have a fair, rational discussion with.

I've pretty much quit trying. Sea Dangles has a good approach to them. Scottw pretty much has it about right to throw snide, as PaulS might call it, at them. But if it makes you feel better . . . keep trying. And good luck with that.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Quit trying to be fair with these guys who are not fair with you. To begin with, understand this: they are mostly full of $hit. Mostly, they are not worth responding to. They have been so totally wrong about Trump, and his supposed collusions and obstructions and supposed racism, and all his supposed phobes and Nazism, etc. They have, for whatever reason, some form of TSD, or just plain hate him. Their post re him range from simple bias to irrational rants. They are not worth trying to have a fair, rational discussion with.

I've pretty much quit trying. Sea Dangles has a good approach to them. Scottw pretty much has it about right to throw snide, as PaulS might call it, at them. But if it makes you feel better . . . keep trying. And good luck with that.
It's a complete waste of time, with all of them except Bryan.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim I would drop the 'hid from here' shtick. I know Spence offline as well as on here, and that had nothing to do with why he wasn't posting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
OK. For the 100th time, can you tell us why dips in the stock market are bad for anyone who (1) doesn't need the money soon, and (2) contributes regularly to a 401k or IRA? I asked that many times, you won't answer.
It can be a great buying opportunity if that is how your retirement is structured. If you are saving up and putting a Roth payment in after taxes as a lump sum, then it is much more luck of the draw. Hopefully everyone retiring in the next few years is in low risk investments.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
It can be a great buying opportunity if that is how your retirement is structured. If you are saving up and putting a Roth payment in after taxes as a lump sum, then it is much more luck of the draw. Hopefully everyone retiring in the next few years is in low risk investments.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Here's a clue
A Bear market isn't a dip.
2nd clue
Don't listen to 2nd rate people
The DOW has dropped ~4,400 points since Larry Kudlow said that COVIDー19 was contained and that investors should buy the dip in the stock market.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
I asked if the travel ban could, looking at it through the lense of what was happening, be reasonably considered to be bigoted.

You responded by insulting me. You can't just concede my point.

Paul, obviously, not every single person who voted for Hilary, thinks the travel restrictions were bigoted. But did any influential liberals, defend the ban, when other influential liberals claimed it was bigoted?

The best you can do, is tell me I'm wrong when I say "liberals don't like Trump", because it's not true in literally 100% of the cases. That's not nit-picking.

Maybe one day you can answer the question I ask...
It could look as bigoted to some. I believe it didn't include Americans returning and some health experts said that bc of that it wasn't as effective.

While I think he is xeno. I try not look at one incidence and claim bc of that one incidence someone is or isn't something.

So if you want to think his banning flights from China was good, good for you - other may not agree.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Jim I would drop the 'hid from here' shtick. I know Spence offline as well as on here, and that had nothing to do with why he wasn't posting.
You have told him that in the past.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #19
wdmso

If your retirement is in 3 years or less and road the market your screwed .. i know guys who've taken 100k to150k hits they'll never get that back before there retirement
Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #20
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

No surprise you would defend him to the bitter end. What I see is that Trump didn’t want to learn from other counties experience with this virus, he instead tried for the longest time to downplay this virus and it’s seriousness. Now he and the entire country are playing catch-up and taking the extreme measures we probably would have seen as needed earlier, had we been willing to see what happened in other countries. It’s been reported repeatedly that Trump absolutely doesn’t want to hear what he doesn’t want to hear and that’s a big price to pay in these circumstances. Don’t debate I won’t miss your blue font one sided blinders in place view on this administration.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
No surprise you would defend him to the bitter end. What I see is that Trump didn’t want to learn from other counties experience with this virus, he instead tried for the longest time to downplay this virus and it’s seriousness. Now he and the entire country are playing catch-up and taking the extreme measures we probably would have seen as needed earlier, had we been willing to see what happened in other countries. It’s been reported repeatedly that Trump absolutely doesn’t want to hear what he doesn’t want to hear and that’s a big price to pay in these circumstances. Don’t debate I won’t miss your blue font one sided blinders in place view on this administration.
"what I see" and "It's been reported"--it must be true if YOU "see" it and it has "been reported". Not.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

OMG such a shocking response NOT, what no debate, no sprawling blue font?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
OMG such a shocking response NOT, what no debate, no sprawling blue font?
Your post didn't merit any sprawling. It was the usual worthless, meaningless, ridiculous opinion. My post to Jim was a train of discussion that began with PaulS claiming Trump is a xenophobe. That is patently ridiculous as we both pointed out. But it is the typical misinformed opinion like most of the personal anti-Trump stuff you guys post.

And you responded that I defended Trump to the bitter end. What end? What bitter? As you would put it "what are you smoking?" We easily debunked the notion of Trump being a xenophobe--and you claim it was defending him to some bitter end--like the truth?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #24
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Seems our local government which I trust over our federal response has taken appropriate hard measures and only after its apparent to even a Trump, his rhetoric finally shifted. I wasn’t adding to a debate I wasn’t a part of, only that your post claims we have been all wrong in our assessment of a Trump’s every action or policy decision and that is as wrong as his handling of this outbreak.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
coming from you, i’ll
do that. and I apologize to him. if you could ever get around to suggest that he refrain from the endless lobbing of baseless insults, that would also help.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
exactly true. always risky to put money in once a year.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
It could look as bigoted to some. I believe it didn't include Americans returning and some health experts said that bc of that it wasn't as effective.

While I think he is xeno. I try not look at one incidence and claim bc of that one incidence someone is or isn't something.

So if you want to think his banning flights from China was good, good for you - other may not agree.
i admitted it could
look bigoted to some. Like Biden and Schumer.

is it reasonable, to assume
it was bigoted?

are you really this dense?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
i admitted it could
look bigoted to some. Like Biden and Schumer.

is it reasonable, to assume
it was bigoted?

are you really this dense?
And are you really so dense that you fall to understand that you can be a xenophobe but marry a person from another country. The definition doesn't mean you hate every person from every foreign country. Your example of mentioning his wife is like my saying Hitler didnt hate the Jews because he had a friend who was Jewish.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
Seems our local government which I trust over our federal response has taken appropriate hard measures and only after its apparent to even a Trump, his rhetoric finally shifted. I wasn’t adding to a debate I wasn’t a part of, only that your post claims we have been all wrong in our assessment of a Trump’s every action or policy decision and that is as wrong as his handling of this outbreak.
If you can't read what is written, how can your opinion about it be trusted? I didn't say that you "have been all wrong in our assessment of a[sic] Trump’s every action or policy decision." But it is typical of you to misquote, misunderstand, change the subject, shift the rhetoric, and just plain be wrong. It's a waste of time, as I'm stupidly doing now, responding to you, or, especially, trying to have a rational discussion with you.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #30
scottw

Quote:
And are you really so dense that you fall to understand that you can be a xenophobe but marry a person from another country. The definition doesn't mean you hate every person from every foreign country. Your example of mentioning his wife is like my saying Hitler didnt hate the Jews because he had a friend who was Jewish.
you really need a vacation from this....go practice and come back