Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Anatomy of a viral lie

Some say that in spite of constant disinformation in the media and on this forum, Trump has done what the limits of his office allows and has done the proper thing by inviting and asking for state and local governments as well as the private sector to all join in the effort to keep the casualties from the virus as low as possible.

Has he?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

Keep up your hopes,Bitchslappedboy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
spence

Just think, 20 more votes and at least we’d have Pence in charge.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
detbuch

The above video is a compilation of incomplete statements. They have cut out remarks that included the possibility that things could get worse. It was made to look as though Trump didn't think there was anything to worry about, that it was totally under control and without a doubt would soon be over. He was obviously trying to keep a public calm rather than ginning up a panic.

It is just another "fake news" kind of crap. Not helpful in keeping the public from overreacting.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

That’s simply baloney
Feel free to go back and find anything that supports that
Trump* was always unequivocally sure of his position and allowed no opposing positions in his followers
Old 03-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
detbuch

That's simply baloney

I saw videos with the full context of what he said, and it was not as simple as your edited video portrays.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
That's simply baloney

I saw videos with the full context of what he said, and it was not as simple as your edited video portrays.
‘I don’t take responsibility at all.’

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
‘I don’t take responsibility at all.’
Again . . . don't quote entire statement ploy. Sneaky sleazy
Old 03-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Jan. 22: “It’s going to be just fine. We have it totally under control.”

Jan. 24 (tweet):China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment

Feb. 7 (tweet):Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days. Nothing is easy, but.......he will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone. Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!

Feb. 10: “I think the virus is going to be — it’s going to be fine.”

Feb. 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.”

Feb. 19: “I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus. So let’s see what happens, but I think it’s going to work out fine.”

Feb. 24 (tweet): The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

Feb 25: “You may ask about the coronavirus which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it & the people that have it are getting better. Theyre all getting better. As far as what we’re doing with the new virus I think that we’re doing a great job”

Feb. 26: “Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low. … When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

Feb. 28: “I think it’s really going well. … We’re prepared for the worst, but we think we’re going to be very fortunate."

Feb. 28: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

Feb. 28: “This is their new hoax.”

March 4: “Some people will have this at a very light level and won’t even go to a doctor or hospital, and they’ll get better. There are many people like that.”

March 9 (tweet): The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

March 9 (tweet): “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

March 10: “And it hit the world. And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

March 11: “I think we’re going to get through it very well.”

March 12: “It’s going to go away. The US, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point … when you look at the kind of numbers that you’re seeing coming out of other countries, it’s pretty amazing when you think of it.”

March 15: “This is a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something that we have tremendous control over.”

March 16: “If you’re talking about the virus, no, that’s not under control for any place in the world.”

March 17: “I’ve always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic … I’ve felt that it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Again . . . don't quote entire statement ploy. Sneaky sleazy

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
So, the full context does indeed exonerate Trump and his administration from any cause of the delay. As I said in another thread, the regulations imposed by the previous administration was the cause of the delay and they had to be revised before the test kits could be provided.

Thanks for the full context.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So, the full context does indeed exonerate Trump and his administration from any cause of the delay. As I said in another thread, the regulations imposed by the previous administration was the cause of the delay and they had to be revised before the test kits could be provided.

Just how long does that take?

Apparently when "I alone" do things it is months

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:

blah, blah, blah
Old 03-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
blah, blah, blah
The President is responsible for administering the Government.
Trump* is incapable of doing that and it has led to most of his failures, his need to rule by executive action surpassing any of his predecessors and his destruction of the mechanism that exists.

We did not reach this point by accident. The right got the diminished government it wanted, led by the diminished president it celebrates and supports. And that is now killing us.

PS The producers of the Apprentice had to go to extreme editing lengths to make him appear competent ....

Last edited by Pete F.; 03-18-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
The President is responsible for administering the Government.

Administers, not legislates, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. A pandemic is a worldwide problem requiring all facets of the private and public sectors to deal with it. Your notion that the President of the U.S. is somehow the controlling agent is not only nonsense, it is counterproductive as in your characterization "when 'I alone' do things it is months." Trump has not been "I alone." He has gathered a team (which even NY Governor Cuomo lauds) to implement plans and actions that the POTUS administers. The Congress, the States, the local governments, the entire private sector also must do their part, which is a huge part, much greater than the President's, as well. And that seems to be happening. Your bitching is not only unreasonable, it is destructive

Trump* is incapable of doing that and it has led to most of his failures, his need to rule by executive action surpassing any of his predecessors and his destruction of the mechanism that exists.

That is an unsubstantiated opinion. And a useless one that unnecessarily creates a depressing atmosphere when, rather, we need to work together.

We did not reach this point by accident. The right got the diminished government it wanted, led by the diminished president it celebrates and supports. And that is now killing us.

Diminished government? Diminished President? So your of the opinion that if we had more government including a more powerful President, all would be better? That's another argument for a different thread. At present, the point that your making, that it took too long to distribute test kits was the result of too much government regulation created by the previous Administration which was certainly in favor of greatly expanded government.

You ask how long it took to undo that regulation? Bureaucracies don't respond to mere snaps of fingers. It took the time that it took. Large bureaucratic government moves slowly.

PS The producers of the Apprentice had to go to extreme editing lengths to make him appear competent ....
More blah, blah, blah . . . .
Old 03-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
More blah, blah, blah . . . .
You certainly are good at it

The defining characteristic of the Trump administration is its refusal to become any less incompetent than it was on day one, thanks to its contempt for expertise and its preference for ideology over reality.

Trump didn't cause the pandemic. What he did was squander America's only advantage—a lag time during which to prepare for the crisis—thus encouraging the spread of the disease when it might have been contained.

He has, in real and material ways, made this crisis worse.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
You certainly are good at it

The defining characteristic of the Trump administration is its refusal to become any less incompetent than it was on day one, thanks to its contempt for expertise and its preference for ideology over reality.

Trump didn't cause the pandemic. What he did was squander America's only advantage—a lag time during which to prepare for the crisis—thus encouraging the spread of the disease when it might have been contained.

He has, in real and material ways, made this crisis worse.
Thanks for your authoritative and expert information.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Thanks for your authoritative and expert information.
Next you will claim that we should believe that as he now says, he knew there was a pandemic all along.

If that were true it is obvious that he willfully allowed the crisis to get worse.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Next you will claim that we should believe that as he now says, he knew there was a pandemic all along.

If that were true it is obvious that he willfully allowed the crisis to get worse.
I will not say that you are wrong. You are always right. You absolutely know everything worth knowing about Trump. So, I will only, with obeisance, say that, obviously in your favor, you are merely slightly mistaken. I would no longer dare to say anything . . . now that you have so forcefully, without even the need for verification of what smaller minds would claim to be your ridiculous opinions, proven that you are the ultimate authority on this forum on matters Trump. . . I would no longer dare to say anything you might disapprove of.

I will, thoroughly chastised, quietly hunker in my small space and gloriously continue to observe your indomitable efforts to bring down this tiny moral, ethical, social pismire called Trump. Or Orange man. Or the many other colorful, poignant, spot on, and crushing monikers you have employed in order to save our innocently ignorant ears from being infected by that evil birth name.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump blames the Democrats , the evil media and of course the Chinese, the later do of course have responsibilities for transparency when something like this breaks out, but this administration has been lame. The downplay from the get go was wrong, the messaging since has been too little to late and now that he has the power to force manufacturers to crank out what is needed for our health care providers he isn’t going to take that step.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump blames the Democrats , the evil media and of course the Chinese, the later do of course have responsibilities for transparency when something like this breaks out, but this administration has been lame. The downplay from the get go was wrong, the messaging since has been too little to late and now that he has the power to force manufacturers to crank out what is needed for our health care providers he isn’t going to take that step.
Rep Omar and Governor Cuomo have been gushing with praise for Trump. True. You say the chinese are to blame, but that’s it’s lame that Trump says so.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Rep Omar and Governor Cuomo have been gushing with praise for Trump. True. You say the chinese are to blame, but that’s it’s lame that Trump says so.
What that habitual lier says at this point in this crisis means zip unless it’s tied to results, which this administration has been far to slow to present. But that’s Trump being Trump, find someone, anyone to blame, I need my image to hold up. Lied about testing, lied about how serious this is, now he has the ability to use his power to finally step up production of the masks and respirators so desperately needed and he won’t. Hey governors you want them you better be prepared to out bid me, his messaging is shameful.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #23
scottw

Quote:
What that habitual lier says at this point in this crisis means zip unless it’s tied to results, which this administration has been far to slow to present. But that’s Trump being Trump, find someone, anyone to blame, I need my image to hold up. Lied about testing, lied about how serious this is, now he has the ability to use his power to finally step up production of the masks and respirators so desperately needed and he won’t. Hey governors you want them you better be prepared to out bid me, his messaging is shameful.
you need to get some grief counseling or something....
Old 03-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #24
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you need to get some grief counseling or something....
Your apathy will be comforting to the first responders (my son being one), ER nurses and doctors or other health care workers who don’t have the supplies and are warning they will run out as this continues.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
Your apathy will be comforting to the first responders (my son being one), ER nurses and doctors or other health care workers who don’t have the supplies and are warning they will run out as this continues.
your perpetual whining does absolutely nothing to help anyone
Old 03-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #26
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Your apathy and defense of this sad sack administration is expected, does it comfort you that Trump won’t take the hard steps needed, especially when their actions are weeks or more behind where they should be. Be a leader enact the war powers act, mobilize the military to move supplies, stop lying to the American public, Pence and Trump are pathetic.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #27
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I feel like they would all be embarrassed by your decision to take your stand on a fishing website. Grow a pair for goodness sakes. This whining accomplishes absolutely nothing. Does your first responder son realize this is how you are helping him! Shame on you.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

It's comical that people think that Trump* is not manipulated by flattery and not vindictive if he doesn't get it.

As Kim Darroch had written in the leaked memos months ago and which every diplomat and leader of another country either already knew or was then made aware of, Trump* is easily manipulated. Governors have learned and used this also.

Here's a synopsis of what he wrote:
Darroch recommended to British politicians and officials for staying on Trump’s winning side. Far more damaging to Trump than the standard trash-talking he receives every day, Darroch’s strategies portray the president as an emotionally frail child-man who can easily be manipulated. The method he suggests is to pay constant attention to Trump, dose him with flattery, and suck up to his friends and staff. Darroch, in the Mail on Sunday article, provides a road map for how journalists, politicians, diplomats and adversaries can manipulate Trump. Here’s a recap.

Flood the Zone.
Because Trump spends so much time in the Oval Office asking everybody for advice, the best way to sway Trump is to sway his familiars. “It's important to ‘flood the zone’: you want as many as possible of those who Trump consults to give him the same answer,” Darroch wrote. “So we need to be creative in using all the channels available to us through our relationships with his Cabinet, the White House staff, and our contacts among his outside friends.” Darroch bragged about having “cultivated” many of Trump's friends to influence him directly.

Be a Phone Buddy.
Trump’s fondness for telephone chat makes the shortest path to the Oval Office a quick call. Darroch instructed Prime Minister Theresa May to capitalize on Trump’s phone devotion by calling him more often. “In a perfect world, they would be speaking two or three times a month, if not more,” he wrote.

Stroke Him. Then Stroke Him Some More.
“You need to start praising him for something that he's done recently,” Darroch wrote. “You need whenever possible to present them as wins for him.”

Keep It Simple, Stupid.
In making points to the president, Darroch insisted, be “blunt,” as Trump doesn't do subtlety or ambiguity. This confirms what White House briefers have said about the president’s inability to concentrate on anything more complicated than a couple PowerPoint slides.

How to Criticize Trump.
Carefully! “Arguably, you get more respect from this President if you stand up to him occasionally—provided the public comments do not come as a surprise and are judicious, calm and avoid personalizing,” Darroch counseled.

When In Doubt, Toss Him a Glitzy Party.
The British slathered Trump with pomp and circumstance and paved his path with gold leaf during his three-day state visit in June. It started with a ceremonial welcome at B#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&gham Palace hosted by Queen Elizabeth. That was followed with a lunch with Prince Harry, a state banquet at the palace attended by royals, British politicians and executives, a breakfast with Prime Minister May and Prince Andrew, and a dinner with Prince Charles. And, he got to bring his entire family! Trump was “dazzled” by the visit, Darroch wrote, which was the Brits’ intent. “This was a wonderful visit, and U.K.-U.S. relations are now in the best state ever,” Trump told Darroch, who served as Trump’s glorified escort during the trip, as he departed.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
This should be in a fortune cookie.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #30
scottw

We might all be in this boat together but it’s pretty clear who is getting tossed overboard first