Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #121
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So he didn't down play the virus for a few weeks until he then said he knew it was a pandemic all along?
He took the bold step of restricting travel from China on day one. And his thanks for that, is that the guy you're going to vote for, called him a xenophobe for doing so.

So Biden (who you will vote for) claims Trump went too far, you say he didn't go far enough...which is it?

I have hated much of what Trump has said (going after a reporter, no matter how big a clown he may be, has no place right now), I like the actions he is taking.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #122
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
And that is the germ that breeds his calculated responses.
I don't like him calling out a specific reporter in a briefing about a pandemic. I have no problem with him calmly and correctly pointing out the laughable media bias.

Let them go berserk. It would be more presidential, if could rise above it for two weeks. I know it's not his style, and often being non-presidential has been exactly what we need.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #123
detbuch

Quote:
C&P from an earlier post

an. 22: “It’s going to be just fine. We have it totally under control.”

Jan. 24 (tweet):China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment

Feb. 7 (tweet):Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days. Nothing is easy, but.......he will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone. Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!

Feb. 10: “I think the virus is going to be — it’s going to be fine.”

Feb. 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.”

Feb. 19: “I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus. So let’s see what happens, but I think it’s going to work out fine.”

Feb. 24 (tweet): The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

Feb 25: “You may ask about the coronavirus which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it & the people that have it are getting better. Theyre all getting better. As far as what we’re doing with the new virus I think that we’re doing a great job”

Feb. 26: “Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low. … When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

Feb. 28: “I think it’s really going well. … We’re prepared for the worst, but we think we’re going to be very fortunate."

Feb. 28: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

Feb. 28: “This is their new hoax.”

March 4: “Some people will have this at a very light level and won’t even go to a doctor or hospital, and they’ll get better. There are many people like that.”

March 9 (tweet): The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

March 9 (tweet): “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

March 10: “And it hit the world. And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

March 11: “I think we’re going to get through it very well.”

March 12: “It’s going to go away. The US, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point … when you look at the kind of numbers that you’re seeing coming out of other countries, it’s pretty amazing when you think of it.”

March 15: “This is a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something that we have tremendous control over.”

March 16: “If you’re talking about the virus, no, that’s not under control for any place in the world.”

March 17: “I’ve always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic … I’ve felt that it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”
He didn't downplay that the Coronavirus is serious. It appeared, at the times of the comments, that it was being controlled. Certainly, he was putting together an expert team to control it, which would signal that he took it seriously. He, as we all know, can loosely throw in words like "totally." Those are all selected sentences out of broader statements. Give us the full context of each to get the fuller picture.

If he actually thought that it was not serious, he would have done nothing. He started doing early, and expanded the doing along the way. Not sure what else he was supposed to do. Nor do I understand why it was supposed to be his sole responsibility. That notion is for lemmings, and the herd rushing to jump off the mountain into the abyss will follow.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-23-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #124
Pete F.
Canceled

A month ago, how's it going now?
The number that explains it is 41,254.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· Feb 24
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #125
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
A month ago, how's it going now?
The number that explains it is 41,254.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· Feb 24
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!
Apparently, our administration experts, Fauci, et al, as well as all relevant countries, CDC, World Health, didn't work hard or smart enough. So many, most, wars, start out bad until they get good--the so-called learning curve. The opposing bench sitters always criticize as if the solution should have been known and implemented on day one. Often, the doomers constant criticism without solutions exacerbates the problem.

Adaptability is the mark of a good leader. Trump team has adapted.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #126
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
He took the bold step of restricting travel from China on day one. And his thanks for that, is that the guy you're going to vote for, called him a xenophobe for doing so.

So Biden (who you will vote for) claims Trump went too far, you say he didn't go far enough...which is it?

I have hated much of what Trump has said (going after a reporter, no matter how big a clown he may be, has no place right now), I like the actions he is taking.
and then he didn't do a thing but down play it.

So you will vote for Trump who cost people's lives by downplaying it and then said he knew it was going to be a pandemic? Why do say it bothers you when he lies but you continue to support him? What do you say to the people who didn't do anything based on his words and his lies caused people to die?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #127
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
So you will vote for Trump who cost people's lives by downplaying it and then said he knew it was going to be a pandemic? Why do say it bothers you when he lies but you continue to support him? What do you say to the people who didn't do anything based on his words and his lies caused people to die?

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #128
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Apparently, our administration experts, Fauci, et al, as well as all relevant countries, CDC, World Health, didn't work hard or smart enough. So many, most, wars, start out bad until they get good--the so-called learning curve. The opposing bench sitters always criticize as if the solution should have been known and implemented on day one. Often, the doomers constant criticism without solutions exacerbates the problem.

Adaptability is the mark of a good leader. Trump team has adapted.
They are adapting.............

The White House is launching a communications plan across multiple federal agencies that focuses on accusing Beijing of orchestrating a "cover-up" and creating a global pandemic.

There’s plenty to criticize China for: They delayed, lied, censored, and tried to cover up.

The problem is the Trump* admin did (and is doing) all these things too — not sure how this strategy justifies their own (in)action.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #129
Jim in CT

Quote:
and then he didn't do a thing but down play it.

Not a syllable about Biden's reaction to the Trump travel ban. Not. A. Syllable.

I see zero evidence that Trump will have caused deaths. If the media and democrats in Congress called him a nationalist xenophobe for restricting travel from China, what would they have done if he put the country in lockdown on day one? Or declared martial law, the liberals would have just loved that.

No matter what he does, no matter what, it's wrong, sinister, and bigoted.

I don't have to avoid answering your questions, because I have thought about my positions, they aren't a thoughtless reflex to love anybody or to hate anybody.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #130
PaulS

Quote:
Not a syllable about Biden's reaction to the Trump travel ban. Not. A. Syllable.

I see zero evidence that Trump will have caused deaths. If the media and democrats in Congress called him a nationalist xenophobe for restricting travel from China, what would they have done if he put the country in lockdown on day one? Or declared martial law, the liberals would have just loved that.

No matter what he does, no matter what, it's wrong, sinister, and bigoted.

I don't have to avoid answering your questions, because I have thought about my positions, they aren't a thoughtless reflex to love anybody or to hate anybody.
Didn't we cover this many, many, many times previously? But you did avoid my question - his lies caused people not to worry about what he later said was a pandemic. What we are seeing now is people who where infected a week ago and those people who had the virus a week ago where infected the week before. If Trump said we have a pandemic, people would have taken the precautions they are taking today. Instead we trusted him and he admitted he lied bc he claimed he knew it was a pandemic all along while telling us it wasn't that bad.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #131
detbuch

Quote:
They are adapting.............

The White House is launching a communications plan across multiple federal agencies that focuses on accusing Beijing of orchestrating a "cover-up" and creating a global pandemic.

There’s plenty to criticize China for: They delayed, lied, censored, and tried to cover up.

The problem is the Trump* admin did (and is doing) all these things too — not sure how this strategy justifies their own (in)action.
Usually, anti-Trumpers want him to somehow create policies that fight against disinformation from foreign countries that tries to create lack of trust in our government. China is trying to spread the idea that the virus started in the U.S. and that Trump is trying to blame China. If the White House is launching the communications plan you speak of, I would imagine the justification is to squelch the Chinese disinformation and pointing out that it was, indeed, originally a "Chinese" virus, not American, and the Chinese did, indeed, try to cover it up. And that cover up was critical in creating the pandemic. Had we and the world known immediately about the Wuhan crisis, much more could have been done to prevent a pandemic.

Trump administration acted much quicker than you imply. Of course, surprise surprise, not to your satisfaction.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #132
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Usually, anti-Trumpers want him to somehow create policies that fight against disinformation from foreign countries that tries to create lack of trust in our government. China is trying to spread the idea that the virus started in the U.S. and that Trump is trying to blame China. If the White House is launching the communications plan you speak of, I would imagine the justification is to squelch the Chinese disinformation and pointing out that it was, indeed, originally a "Chinese" virus, not American, and the Chinese did, indeed, try to cover it up. And that cover up was critical in creating the pandemic. Had we and the world known immediately about the Wuhan crisis, much more could have been done to prevent a pandemic.

Trump administration acted much quicker than you imply. Of course, surprise surprise, not to your satisfaction.
Trump* didn’t cause this, he squandered our only advantage, time to prepare.

Odd that South Korea achieved such different results with first case on same day and a population density 13x USA.

USA 41656
SK 8961

Apparently they had secret information or perhaps they acted swiftly and logically.

Don’t worry there’s another Trump* rally this afternoon

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #133
Jim in CT

Quote:
Didn't we cover this many, many, many times previously? But you did avoid my question - his lies caused people not to worry about what he later said was a pandemic. What we are seeing now is people who where infected a week ago and those people who had the virus a week ago where infected the week before. If Trump said we have a pandemic, people would have taken the precautions they are taking today. Instead we trusted him and he admitted he lied bc he claimed he knew it was a pandemic all along while telling us it wasn't that bad.
I don't recall our covering it. I recall my asking, I recall you and Spence denying Biden said it (Spence still denies it). If that's covering it, and maybe it is, then yes we covered it.

"What we are seeing now is people who where infected a week ago and those people who had the virus a week ago where infected the week before"

Yes, that's how infections work you see. That's why it takes more than a day.

"But you did avoid my question "

No, I didn't avoid it. Here is my direct answer...I don't think he could have done much more early on than banning travel from China, ( and telling people to wash their hands), because he was called a nationalist xenophobe for doing even that.

Now, can you answer my question, which I'm asking for maybe the 20th time? What do you think of Biden calling Trump a xenophobe, for restricting travel from China?
Old 03-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #134
PaulS

Quote:
I don't recall our covering it. I recall my asking, I recall you and Spence denying Biden said it (Spence still denies it). If that's covering it, and maybe it is, then yes we covered it.

"What we are seeing now is people who where infected a week ago and those people who had the virus a week ago where infected the week before"

Yes, that's how infections work you see. That's why it takes more than a day.

"But you did avoid my question "

No, I didn't avoid it. Here is my direct answer...I don't think he could have done much more early on than banning travel from China, ( and telling people to wash their hands), because he was called a nationalist xenophobe for doing even that.

Now, can you answer my question, which I'm asking for maybe the 20th time? What do you think of Biden calling Trump a xenophobe, for restricting travel from China?
Any thing a citizen says bothers me a lot less than the President of the US lying which caused people to die due to his constant downplaying the virus he even though admits it was a pandemic.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #135
Pete F.
Canceled

Nobody answers because the premise of your question is, as usual, based on fake news.

During a campaign rally that started at 4 pm, Biden said that “In moments like this, this is where the credibility of a president is most needed, as he explains what we should and should not do.”
“This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia, hysterical xenophobia, to uh, and fear mongering,” Biden continued.

Azar made the announcement at a briefing that started at 3:42 p.m.

It’s not even clear Biden knew it had been announced. The White House would later offer a more detailed proclamation at about 8 p.m. that day.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #136
Jim in CT

Quote:
Any thing a citizen says bothers me a lot less than the President of the US lying which caused people to die due to his constant downplaying the virus he even though admits it was a pandemic.
So the fact that the citizen is (1) running for president, and (2) saying he would not have limited travel from China early on, doesn't concern you.

You're saying (I think?) Trump didn't do enough, but you're OK voting for a guy who said Trump went too far.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #137
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

Odd that South Korea achieved such different results with first case on same day and a population density 13x USA.

USA 41656
SK 8961

Apparently they had secret information or perhaps they acted swiftly and logically.

You can't argue facts, time lines, public comments, statistics, inaction's or delays with this crew; there minds are made up and nothing anyone says will EVER change that. To use a statement I really never liked, it is what it is.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #138
PaulS

Quote:
So the fact that the citizen is (1) running for president, and (2) saying he would not have limited travel from China early on, doesn't concern you.

You're saying (I think?) Trump didn't do enough, but you're OK voting for a guy who said Trump went too far.
No it doesn't bother me that Biden said he would not have limited travel from China (US citizens, Chinese citizens, people going to 3rd party countries then coming to US????)

Trump sat on his hind quarters (or hind halfs) or he went out and played golf while he should have been doing a lot more if he truly knew it was going to be a pandemic instead of lying to us and telling us not to worry.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #139
scottw

Quote:
No it doesn't bother me that Biden said he would not have limited travel from China (US citizens, Chinese citizens, people going to 3rd party countries then coming to US????)

Trump sat on his hind quarters (or hind halfs) or he went out and played golf while he should have been doing a lot more if he truly knew it was going to be a pandemic instead of lying to us and telling us not to worry.
settle down little buddy....
Old 03-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #140
spence

Quote:
Where did Biden even say this?

Jim, is your opinion based on anything other than fantasy?
Old 03-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #141
detbuch

Quote:

USA 41656
SK 8961

I didn't say Trump started it, I was responding to you questioning the justification of the White House communications plan.

I don't know the SK total situation. Perhaps its more uniform political allegiances and its ability to respond with less friction in such a case than ours, which is geared more for opposition rather than agreement and cooperation, may have helped. The ethnic, racial, cultural, and social homogeneity as well as the political structure which probably doesn't have the voluminous regulatory burden, as well as a much smaller land mass with population packed within its smaller space, no doubt creates a mix that can more swiftly mobilize a regime of treatment.

You might also consider it "odd" that Italy and Iran which also have much smaller land masses with denser population than we, are doing horribly worse. It is posited that the main reason is the huge number of Chinese located in them who travel back and forth to China as a result of their participating in China's Belt and Road Initiative. They did not have a Chinese travel ban.

And, in spite of your characterization of Trump making devastating decisions, he administers a program created by his expert advisers. He did not draw up the plans all on his stable genius lonesome.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #142
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
some libs here were praising him, right? and he praised trumps travel ban.

maybe it’s possible he had
something more
pressing...
Missing tonight, another honest (far to honest apparently) dedicated expert not pulling the Trump party line, but nothing to see there.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #143
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I didn't say Trump started it, I was responding to you questioning the justification of the White House communications plan.

I don't know the SK total situation. Perhaps its more uniform political allegiances and its ability to respond with less friction in such a case than ours, which is geared more for opposition rather than agreement and cooperation, may have helped. The ethnic, racial, cultural, and social homogeneity as well as the political structure which probably doesn't have the voluminous regulatory burden, as well as a much smaller land mass with population packed within its smaller space, no doubt creates a mix that can more swiftly mobilize a regime of treatment.

You might also consider it "odd" that Italy and Iran which also have much smaller land masses with denser population than we, are doing horribly worse. It is posited that the main reason is the huge number of Chinese located in them who travel back and forth to China as a result of their participating in China's Belt and Road Initiative. They did not have a Chinese travel ban.

And, in spite of your characterization of Trump making devastating decisions, he administers a program created by his expert advisers. He did not draw up the plans all on his stable genius lonesome.
Leaders make choices, choose the path, point the way and enable others to excel.
Calling it fake, a hoax and a plot to remove him is just part of his narcissistic psychopath personality.
Hopefully you watched his rally and cheered.
Noticed they moved it to be at the evening news slot.
He said it will be done shortly and it will for some.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #144
detbuch

Quote:
Leaders make choices, choose the path, point the way and enable others to excel.

Ah so, sensei. Must put grandiose wisdom in fortune cookie.

Calling it fake, a hoax and a plot to remove him is just part of his narcissistic psychopath personality.

Sifu now amaze us with brilliant mastery of amateur psychoanalysis.

Hopefully you watched his rally and cheered.

No. So sorry, master. I follow only path you choose and point way.

Noticed they moved it to be at the evening news slot.
He said it will be done shortly and it will for some.
Unlike followers of false guru, I will be able to excel by your teaching how to see through a glass darkly.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #145
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Pete, read it, it might clear some biased opinions up but we all know your mind is already made up, as Jim says, Orange man bad. I should not have looked in this forum, my fault. Once a month is too much I guess

Nolte: All the Establishment Media’s Dangerous Coronavirus Lies

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...&utm_content=B

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #146
Pete F.
Canceled

I read it.

Feel free to keep believing.

South Korea and USA had first case on the same day.
Now SK 8961
USA 45,346
Progression doesn't care about your total population, it can only be stopped by a concerted effort.
It did not happen here.
South Korea was able to pull-off one of the lowest death rates without a lockdown, because of what? MASS TESTING!!!! Testing leads to early detection which is the key to effective treatment.

And yes, the President is responsible for his administration's actions and lack thereof.

While we are at it, now we are planning to give the guy who bankrupted a casino, whose partners wouldn't let get his hands on the cash and no banker would loan money to control of half a Trillion dollars.

Soon we will find out how many people Trump* is willing to kill for the DOW because it sure sounds like Trump* and Pence aren't planning for their social distancing plan to extend beyond 15 days.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #147
scottw

Quote:
I read it.

Feel free to keep believing.

South Korea and USA had first case on the same day.
Now SK 8961
USA 45,346
Progression doesn't care about your total population, it can only be stopped by a concerted effort.
It did not happen here.
South Korea was able to pull-off one of the lowest death rates without a lockdown, because of what? MASS TESTING!!!!
Pete....updated March 24 using worldometers

SK has 9,037 cases and 120 deaths 1.32%
US has 48,168 cases and 582 deaths 1.204%

if you claim that SK had tested "massively" more .....then those case numbers should pretty accurate and if you claim that we have thousands of cases running around yet untested our % should be an even lower number...

try to make sense , I know it's difficult in these challenging times
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #148
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Where did Biden even say this?

Jim, is your opinion based on anything other than fantasy?
you’re still denying that Biden said the travel ban was xenophobic? if so, that says a lot about you. Nothing we don’t already know.

did you see the virus video he tried to make in the comfort of his own home? beyond feeble.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:26 AM   #149
scottw

Quote:
you’re still denying that Biden said the travel ban was xenophobic? if so, that says a lot about you. Nothing we don’t already know.

did you see the virus video he tried to make in the comfort of his own home? beyond feeble.
someone needs to check on Joe.....
Old 03-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #150
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

No Dr. Fauci, probably would have been an interesting podium moment for him after Trump signals the real potential to open the US for business after the 15 days. Every medical expert would vehemently recommend against that, thanks again Donald for this mixed messaging it’s exactly what the country DOESN’T need.