Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
SAXATILUS

Trolling Flies

For those of you who fly fish and haven't tried it, it can be pretty deadly. When your paddling from place to place or just need a break from casting give it a try. I like to use huge flies for this and get em down deep on some lc-13. Squid, eel and menhaden flies work great. Make em huge . Personally I never would have thought about doing this till someone shared this technique with me, it works.
SAXATILUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Anyway you can expand on that? I have heard rumblings around it but really haven't heard anything first hand. No clue what lc-13 is I have tied up a few BIG flies, herring and such. How far out do you run the line. I was planning on a short trip this weekend and was thinking about bringing the fly-rod along..

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
SAXATILUS

RE
LC-13 is lead core line from cortland, it sinks about 12" per second. It comes in 30' sections. I make up different size lengths and whip loops on the ends. Personally I loop it to my floating line to some what control the depth . If you were in water with no current and sitting still your floating line would act like a bobber and the lc would sink some what straight up and down so in lets say 10 feet of water a ten foot section would be hitting bottom. Now factor in current speed and trolling speed and your going to have lift. I'm still in the experimental stages trying to put that formula together. If im in 20 feet of water ill have on a 30' section of lead core, and run out about 40 to 50 feet of floating line, and paddle nice and slow. A fish finder is a must in your kayak imo for finding structure and knowing your depth.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

works great from a canoe, I think I caught the most schoolies at one time trolling a clouser.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

I gotta get off my butt and put a FF in my yak..

Old 05-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
SAXATILUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelecstasy
I gotta get off my butt and put a FF in my yak..
Dude you will catch so many more fish you'll wonder how you got buy without one. Holes, humps, ledges, drop offs. Then comes the gps so you can mark those locations and find your way back when a thick fog roles in, thats my next project.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

This is the one I have my eye on... Humminbird 383 GPS/SONAR/Plotter

Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Nebe

Saxatillus- wrap that leadcore around yer paddle
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
bluzjamer

Send a message via AIM to bluzjamer Send a message via Yahoo to bluzjamer
I've been using a canoe in the salt for the last 13 years. Square back with and electric motor. Small electric works super on a canoe. 12 volt battery last a couple of days and gives weight to the bow. The electric on 1 will go faster than one person can paddle, 5 will get you there in a hurry. It's so quiet I have bumped fish in the shallows.
Think the canoe was $200 and the motor on sale at K-Mart for $75, years ago mind you. A square back Yak with an electric might be neat. What is a deal on a yak? Can you safetly fit two people? Are they tippier than a canoe. I have a keel on my canoe.
bluzjamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
falkners

Try trolling some big flat wings tied on circle hooks. They have a very seductive action when trolled from the kayak. At first, with flies tied on conventional hooks, I was getting hits but few hookups while paddling I think because of the inability to set the hook because both hands were busy with the paddle but the circle hooks work great. As the fish hit and turn they hook themselves allowing you to adjust the boat, set the paddle down and fight the fish.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote