Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #211
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Biden and Harris named Time's Person of the Year

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you'd think they'd give it to first responders or people who did something of importance instead of those two fools
Old 12-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #212
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you'd think they'd give it to first responders or people who did something of importance instead of those two fools
You would think. They would have but Never said I supported the move

And I doubt should be happy if those you suggest we’re on the cover either
Old 12-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #213
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
you dummies have been talking about the republican party imploding for years...just like pete and his bombshells....it's like you never read or remember what you write you just keep repeating the same nonsense
Well you had eight years of Obama Trump got in and was impeached and shown the door, how is that going for you? I’ve voted both parties as an independent, actually more Republican over my life, but the Republican Party is fuc*ed up right now.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #214
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
you dummies have been talking about the republican party imploding for years...just like pete and his bombshells....it's like you never read or remember what you write you just keep repeating the same nonsense

No, Scott. No. This is new territory the Republican congress has ventured into. They have chosen, yes chosen, to move into lock step with Donald Trump, who lost a presidential election in the United States of America, MORE THAN A MONTH AGO..... They fear the man. Very few in positions of power have stepped out of ranks, notably Barr and Romney. Scott, please note that I have not typed one word of support for the President elect, nor the Democratic party and its platform. This is more about the American process and doing the right thing. This group of elected Republicans has lost its moral compass, and that is what will cause the implosion of the Republican party and its current dictatorial autocratic "leader".

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #215
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
No, Scott. No. This is new territory the Republican congress has ventured into. They have chosen, yes chosen, to move into lock step with Donald Trump, who lost a presidential election in the United States of America, MORE THAN A MONTH AGO..... They fear the man. Very few in positions of power have stepped out of ranks, notably Barr and Romney. Scott, please note that I have not typed one word of support for the President elect, nor the Democratic party and its platform. This is more about the American process and doing the right thing. This group of elected Republicans has lost its moral compass, and that is what will cause the implosion of the Republican party and its current dictatorial autocratic "leader".
Well said.

I can appreciate a wide range of political positions but the moment we stop believing in the democratic process we are toast. The train for some has left the station.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #216
RickBomba

Love the new GOP.

Matt Gaetz is truly your spirit animal.

I guess GFY finally worked on some people.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #217
RickBomba

And why would we want to thank first responders? Did we have some kind of epidemic? Trump said it was finished.

You guys will swallow anything.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #218
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Supreme Court throws out yet another Trump Hail Mary case, are we winning yet?
Old 12-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #219
detbuch

Quote:
The American process is working just fine. Everything is being done according to process. The process will come to a resolution. It's not as if the Republicans you despair of believe there was no election fraud and are only falling in line with Tyrant Trump. I do think the reputed fraud occurred. And there are various pieces of evidence of it. But actual proof will probably be too difficult to find. The process will go through discovery, if it is allowed to do so. Then we will go on from there. What will destroy confidence in the process is not allowing it to happen as it is constitutionally allowed.

I assume I am disagreeing with you in regard to what is at stake in this election. I do believe that political party agendas are impacting the American constitutional process. Contesting the election through the constitutional process is not destroying it.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #220
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The American process is working just fine. Everything is being done according to process. The process will come to a resolution.
What scary you actually believe what you write

So how many time has this happened in our 244 year history have states and house members attempted to subvert the will of the people so egregiously?
Old 12-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #221
detbuch

Quote:
What scary you actually believe what you write

So how many time has this happened in our 244 year history have states and house members attempted to subvert the will of the people so egregiously?
Why be scared that I believe what I write? Should I be scared that you believe that states and house members are attempting to subvert the will of the people.

Apparently, we both believe that some are attempting to subvert the will of the people. We just disagree on who the some are.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #222
wdmso

Quote:
Why be scared that I believe what I write? Should I be scared that you believe that states and house members are attempting to subvert the will of the people.

Apparently, we both believe that some are attempting to subvert the will of the people. We just disagree on who the some are.
Ones based in actual events one is not
Old 12-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #223
Pete F.
Canceled

Apparently the majority of the SCOTUS including all 3 Tweety appointees disagree with the AG of Texas and numerous congressmen.
So the leader of the Trumplican Party in Texas advocates for sedition.

“This decision will have far reaching ramifications for the future of our constitutional republic. Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.”
Old 12-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #224
detbuch

Quote:
Ones based in actual events one is not
We believe in different chains of events.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #225
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Apparently the majority of the SCOTUS including all 3 Tweety appointees disagree with the AG of Texas and numerous congressmen.
So the leader of the Trumplican Party in Texas advocates for sedition.

“This decision will have far reaching ramifications for the future of our constitutional republic. Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.”
Does the SCOTUS decision please you? Is the process playing out constitutionally? So far it seems so to me. Does that mean that SCOTUS is actually making the "right" decision. No. But it is the decision. And that's how it works . . . and still working. Relax. Your side is winning. That may not be what's best for preserving our Constitutional Republic. So be it. All things come to an end.

I'm not looking with favor to our looming Progressive Administrative State. And I doubt that most, or even many, know what that means.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #226
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Does the SCOTUS decision please you? Is the process playing out constitutionally? So far it seems so to me. Does that mean that SCOTUS is actually making the "right" decision. No. But it is the decision. And that's how it works . . . and still working. Relax. Your side is winning. That may not be what's best for preserving our Constitutional Republic. So be it. All things come to an end.

I'm not looking with favor to our looming Progressive Administrative State. And I doubt that most, or even many, know what that means.
Go ahead and be very afraid
But look back at history
The Whig Party fractured and died in the 1850s over slavery. Will the Republican Party fracture and die in the 2020s over democracy?
They certainly have demonstrated their belief in autocracy.

And don’t get too frantic, history has shown that the American experiment self centers every so often and the people on both edges get over it or buckle down and get to work to sway things in the direction they believe is correct.
Or they can just play the victim card

Last edited by Pete F.; 12-11-2020 at 10:13 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #227
Pete F.
Canceled

A little history

As we play The Aliens & Seditions Game in Congress, a fun note: In 1861, 11 senators and 3 representatives were expelled for supporting the Confederacy and not acknowledging Lincoln's legitimate election.

Have a good Friday.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #228
scottw

Quote:

Does the SCOTUS decision please you?

good thing trump "packed the court" so they would do his bidding at times like these....oh wait...the fools were wrong about that too...I guess they didn't need to savage Kavanaugh with lies and insult Barrett....but that's just how they troll
Old 12-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #229
scottw

Quote:

And don’t get too frantic

frantic....you and your buddies sound like the hags on the View lately...
Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 AM   #230
detbuch

Quote:
Go ahead and be very afraid

I have no desire to seek your advice or approval over whether I should be afraid. I didn't say I was afraid, and it is not a good way of starting a reply by pulling some fatherly or superior ploy of being in the position of advising me how to go ahead and feel something I have in no way indicated that I do.

But look back at history

I have looked back on history time and again in exposing the Progressive agenda. But no one other than a few actual constitutionalists, takes me up on that discussion.

The Whig Party fractured and died in the 1850s over slavery. Will the Republican Party fracture and die in the 2020s over democracy?

Both parties have fractured and mucked their way through a continuous process of dying. They both had a change in names and their political philosophies kept changing. They both have had what you would call autocratic Presidents, some of whom on the Democrat side were way more autocratic than Trump, e.g. Jackson, Wilson, FDR, LBJ, and Obama could also be included in that pantheon of what Democrats would call great Presidents.

The greatest force of change affecting both parties has been Progressive ideology. And that resides more firmly today in the Democrat party.

And the notion that the Republican party will fracture and die over democracy is laughable. We are not a democracy. If you mean that the Republican Party will die because it is divided between those who want to maintain us as a Republic and those who want to transform us into a Democracy, I haven't heard of that squabble.

If you mean that there are Republicans who actually want to get rid of our supposedly democratic system of voting, I see no evidence of that. The effort to root out what Republicans see as fraud is actually a way to protect the system. And they are working within our system to do that. If they can't prove the fraud, then we continue on unabated.
Even the fraud will continue--especially as it has in local politics, which is the groundwork that can make for rigged national voting.

Democracy is very susceptible to fraud and to manipulation by a ruling class. That's why the Founders avoided a pure Democracy.

They certainly have demonstrated their belief in autocracy.

Trump? That's been part of the left's withering and lying narrative. Trump is an autocrat. Trump is a dictator. Trump is a Nazi. Trump is a white supremacist. That's all BS. He has wielded far less unconstitutional power than Jackson, Wilson, FDR, and LBJ--those great and revered Democrat Presidents.

And don’t get too frantic,

Oh, so now your advising me on how not to act.
See above for my opinion on that.

history has shown that the American experiment self centers every so often and the people on both edges get over it or buckle down and get to work to sway things in the direction they believe is correct.

Self centering is a comforting and assuring phrase that avoids the truth of what actually happens which is an evolution in a given direction of more or less freedom. We have been consistently evolving in the latter direction. The chief driving force of that direction is Progressive politics. It is a force that engenders far more centralized government power over our individual lives than any one so-called autocratic President can.

Or they can just play the victim card
Or they can "fight the power" and insist on maintaining our constitutional republican form of government. Insist on rolling back centralized regulatory power. Insist on individual over group rights. For starters.

Fat chance. More likely they can just keep believing in the corporate journalism that informs everything they know about what their government really is, what it's doing, and who actually controls it.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #231
scottw

Quote:
just for the record, I've voted for trump as many times as wayne and pete....I don't like trump, I don't have a trump flag on my car and I haven't been to a rally, though I hear they are great fun....it took a trump type personality to win against the relentlessly insane left 4 years ago, the others would have crumbled like romney and mccain, we got to watch their insanity over the last 4 years...he's still better than the alternative of pelosi, schumer, biden/harris running things in my opinion.....they will do far more damage that trump's escapades over the last few weeks....
Old 12-12-2020, 12:20 AM   #232
scottw

Quote:

Or they can "fight the power"
hey, I know were headed for another lockdown but protesting by the thousands is still OK...right??
Old 12-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #233
wdmso

It’s sad. even Forrest Gump knows the deal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE25FA98-2B2E-48B3-BA42-4269D1608FD9.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	67539  
Old 12-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #234
wdmso

Another 885,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week

The Right blames Biden
Old 12-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #235
Jim in CT

Quote:

The Right blames Biden
who does? which group
of influential republicans blames biden, exactly?
Old 12-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #236
Pete F.
Canceled

Hmmm....

From Bloomberg

Pfizer says it has "millions more doses" of its vaccine waiting in a warehouse for the U.S. government to tell it where to send it, via
@TheTerminal
"As of now, we have not received any shipment instructions for additional doses," Pfizer said.

I've asked the White House for a response, needless to say.

Two days ago, @PressSec said there will be another 4 million Pfizer vaccine doses shipped on Friday. (It's unclear whether that's the same batch that Pfizer is referring to.)

Here’s the plan, the bigger the crater the more difficult it will be to have a successful four years.

We’re dealing with people that want things as bad as possible for the country so they can get their people back in office in 24’

Why, because elections have consequences

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #237
scottw

Quote:

The Right blames Biden
I don't...

hey, it's going to be interesting in the next few months when all of these people that have been on extended and enhanced unemployment do their taxes
Old 12-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #238
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't...

hey, it's going to be interesting in the next few months when all of these people that have been on extended and enhanced unemployment do their taxes
is there federal withholding on those checks? or do they owe taxes at the end of the year?
Old 12-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #239
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
is there federal withholding on those checks? or do they owe taxes at the end of the year?
Usually there isn’t, it’s up to the individual to plan for it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #240
wdmso

Republicans are pro life accept when it comes to Covid hummm?..