Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
steelhead

Compressor question

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my compressor from the little dinky one that came with my airbrush. Went to Home Depot this AM to see what they had. Several 4 - 6 gallon ones look like they will work pretty good. Before I take the leap, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any tips or suggestions so I don't end up spending good money bad.
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have always just used the Porter Cable pancake compressors! They work great! Bonus...they come with a brad nailer!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

i would get something with at least a 12, 15 gallon tank. The little ones work good but they will cycle on a lot and thus be noisy. I can fill up my 15 gallon one, shut it off, and paint all day on maybe 2 fillings and mostly just the one fill up.. Sears has some very good ones and not that expensive, look for sales. I prefer the oil ones too as they last a lot longer and are a little bit quieter. Just my 2 cents.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
steelhead

You answered the question I forgot to ask and taht was about noise. I have no separate space to keep a noisy tank in, so going larger seems to make some sense. I've also read that I may need some sort of filter attachement to catch condensed water in line between tha tank and the air brush. Probably explains why I've gotten the occasional splatter of water mixed in with the paint.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yes a water trap. I have one and have never found a speck of water in it, but good insurance. I also run a 50 foot hose too even though the machine is only 20 feet away. I think Mike, fishingfreak, told me several years ago that a longer length of hose helps regulate the pressure better. Never been a problem for me so I guess it may work. Also draining your tank after every session keeps the tank from rusting away. That is about all I can tell you. some may be true and some may be pure horse hockey

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
steelhead

Is the water trap a "standard accessory" on most compressors?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've got a small Makita and like it just fine. When it runs it only runs for a minute or so and isn't overly obnoxious.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
mfm22

I use a porter cable pancake also ..so far it's great
Used brad gun to make spray booth
homies had 'em for a good price maybe $149 last year
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote