Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Rockfish9

Building the double J..

As promised here it is, this is a long one, lots of pictures,(over 40) I think ther will be something for everyone ( I think) some of this is down right basic, othether stuff a little funky... Enjoy...BTW my spelling sucks and my fingers dont comunicate with my noggin.. so dont blame me for the spelling...

This has been a project of mine for many years, it was on "ice" for nearly a decade when I stopped making plugs altogether...
The first picture is of the very first one I made... I still have it and it never caught a fish.... below it, is the first sucessfull version, not laminated and sporting a sufster lip, she was front heavy casted like crap but she caught many a fish before her retirement...

The fished plug is jointed, 9" long and weighs in the vicinty of 2.5 ounces..

Materials : Gorrilla glue, 1 1/8"X 9/16" X 6" maple and cedar( to be glued together), I used WRC, if you use something else you may have to adjust your weighting, 2, 9" lengths of 304 SS maleable wire ( NJtackle) if is not maleable, it will split if you attempt to wire the plug as I will show... you will need 2 #1 swivels, I use Kroc SS swivels, you will need 2 #2/0 VMC trebles.. a lennght of SS wire approx .032" for making the fins and tail... you will need bucktail ( your color choice) and saddle hackles ( again your choice of color) and fly tieing thread... you will need a #1 pikie lip and 2 ...341 belly gromets as well as 2 nose gromets and a .375 tail gromet.. a 4 gram weight ( 15/64X1 1/8) for the body and a 2 gram weight for the tail, (1/4"X 1/2")I'm sure there is something else but lets get started!

First prepare your blanks, wet each half of your 1 1/8X9/16X6" blanks with water, coat the entire surface of one blank/half with gorrilla glue, it is very important to cover the entire blank, although it expands greatly, you dont want to have any voids when you are turning... dont ask me how I know!

Continued on the next frame...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 A the beggining.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	32804   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Maple cedar blank.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	32805   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 glueing the blank.jpg