Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Johns Hopkins University says US was most prepared country in world for pandemic

what do those idiots at Johns Hopkins know?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-...-found-in-2019
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Nebe

Imagine how more we would have been prepared if trump didn’t can the whole pandemic response team.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-25-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Imagine how more we would have been prepared if trump didn’t can the whole pandemic response team.
Better than 1st in the world?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #4
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
what do those idiots at Johns Hopkins know?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-...-found-in-2019
what's your point ? so how has South Korea have 11,206 infections
and 267 deaths and taiwan have only 441 cases and 7 deaths

But the US United States 1.68 million 98,035 deaths

maybe its because of events like this ? this weekend in missouri the show me state
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_112437595_b6cc5fa4-328c-4b0a-b4c3-456f42316541.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	67129  
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Sea Dangles

It’s just information Wayne.
And you like to stay informed given the proper information.
What is your point?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-25-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
It’s just information Wayne.
And you like to stay informed given the proper information.
What is your point?
its like being prepared to go Tuna fishing you have everything lined up

ready to go your the most prepared boat in the fleet

But you never leave the dock or leave late and miss the bite (Trump) ,,

being the most prepared becomes irrelevant
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Wayne that might be to simple for SD to get. Pretty grim death toll for the most prepared country, leadership and action always determine the outcome of any war and early action in any conflict often determines the course of the war and its length. Trumps leadership has been pathetic and as he pushes to get things reopened knowing if he doesn’t his chances in November diminish, the war and death tolls are far from over. He is no commander and chief, he is just a child poser.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
i think that was debunked by people at the CDC?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
what's your point ? so how has South Korea have 11,206 infections
and 267 deaths and taiwan have only 441 cases and 7 deaths

But the US United States 1.68 million 98,035 deaths

maybe its because of events like this ? this weekend in missouri the show me state
they took drastic steps in december. if you recall, trump did one thing in january, and the left attacked him for over reacting. so please show me any evidence that any sane person would believe, that the left would have tolerated more drastic steps back then?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
wdmso

Quote:
they took drastic steps in december. if you recall, trump did one thing in january, and the left attacked him for over reacting. so please show me any evidence that any sane person would believe, that the left would have tolerated more drastic steps back then?

So you admit he failed
Old 05-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
Sea Dangles

Don’t despair

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
So you admit he failed
i admit that your side said then, that he was overreacting. is that true, or is that false?

see, i put you in a box. because if you say it’s false, you’re lying. if
you admit it’s true, you’re admitting that back then, there was no urgency or will
to do more.

with the benefit of hindsight, he should have tried to do more. the left would t have tolerated it.

anyway, i’d live to see your answer to my true false question?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
spence

Jim’s been shown wrong on this topic so many times I’m not sure which side he’s on.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim’s been shown wrong on this topic so many times I’m not sure which side he’s on.
the democrats and media didn’t say trump overreacted, and that the virus didn’t justify a drastic response? Did Pelosi and DiBlasio tell their constituents in late february that it was safe to go out in crowded public places? or am i making that up?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
the democrats and media didn’t say trump overreacted, and that the virus didn’t justify a drastic response? Did Pelosi and DiBlasio tell their constituents in late february that it was safe to go out in crowded public places? or am i making that up?
Ask yourself the important question, who is caption of the ship, if he steered the ship on the right course we collectively would not have run aground on the ledge. The caption owns it regardless of what others around him say or do, but you keep harping on it like it changes anything.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Ask yourself the important question, who is caption of the ship, if he steered the ship on the right course we collectively would not have run aground on the ledge. The caption owns it regardless of what others around him say or do, but you keep harping on it like it changes anything.
The ship metaphor doesn't work for our constitutional system of government.

Our country is not like a ship. More like a bunch of different boats, ships, planes, cars, pedestrians, and infinitely more.

The President does not have the nearly absolute power of a ship's captain.

The citizens are not all riding the same vehicle, nor heading for the same destination, nor working in unison for the same objective, nor in support of the President.

Not only are the citizens destinations, beliefs, philosophies, desires, opinions, not the same, they conflict, oppose, fight, seek to change leaderships and directions, and do whatever is necessary to defeat leaders, including the President, including to lie about anything he does or says.

China is much more like a ship than is the U.S.

As an opponent of the President, you can say that nothing he does is right, all that you claim is wrong is due to him and he owns it, and he doesn't own all that may be going well because it is due to his predecessor who still owns it even though he is no longer the captain.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Actually it works just fine, leaders lead by example and his example, inaction, constant downplay, questioning the medical experts, to the refusal to wear a mask has cost more lives than have been taken by terrorists is this country. He loves big numbers, that’s not one he or you should be proud of. Carry on, back to fishing and golf.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 05-26-2020 at 06:40 AM..
Old 05-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
PaulS

Don't worry, Trump chipped in from the bunker on 12 yesterday. If you're feeling ill just as your Dr. for some Hydrochlorine. All is good.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Actually it works just fine, leaders lead by example and his example, inaction, constant downplay, questioning the medical experts, to the refusal to wear a mask has cost more lives than have been taken by terrorists is this country. He loves big numbers, that’s not one he or you should be proud of. Carry on, back to fishing and golf.
inaction. ok. who was calling for
more drastic action back in january? nobody. not republicans, sure as hell not democrats.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
spence you ran away instead of answering. probably hiding under your bed clutching your obama poster. how about answering?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
you are 100% correct, trump
owns the results. absolutely.

any chance you can show me the same courtesy, and answer my question? here goes...

we know that biden attacked trump for the january travel restrictions. he said trump
was fear mongering, which necessarily means that biden thought the travel ban was an unnecessary reaction ( he also called it bigoted, but let’s ignore that for now).

Biden didnt suggest doing anything differently. he just criticized what trump did.

so what reason is there for
any sane person to believe, that we’d be better off right now if biden was president?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Being prepared does not equate to the best response and in this case it certainly did not.

All states faced the same essential threat from this virus, and each government’s response is a kind of laboratory experiment.

The United States had the advantage of being struck late by the virus, and this gave us a priceless chance to copy best practices and avoid the mistakes of others.

Tweety #^&#^&#^&#^&ed it up. The previous administrations had developed a playbook for pandemic response that drew in part on lessons from other countries’ experiences, but the Tweety administration disregarded it. When China began confining millions of people to their homes in January, Tweety should have gotten the message.
We lost six weeks in the United States to prepare, to build ventilators, get PPE, organize our ICUs, get tests ready, prepare the public for what was going to happen so that our economy didn’t tank as badly. None of this was pushed by Tweety's administration. He publicly insisted it was no problem.

By one estimate, from the epidemiologists Britta L. Jewell and Nicholas P. Jewell, if social-distancing policies had been implemented just two weeks earlier in March, 90 percent of the cumulative coronavirus deaths in the United States during the first wave of the pandemic might have been prevented.
Just imagine what bad things would have happened if Tweety's pressers in the Rose Garden had from the start, adopted social distancing and masks.
The wimp is still too vain and weak to wear a mask.

Rather than using tests that the WHO had distributed, Tweety's CDC insisted on developing its own, only to botch it.
Nations such as South Korea and Taiwan raced ahead of the U.S. in their efforts to contain the outbreak and they did not have the pole position at the start of the race.

As a number of countries planned and prepared for economic recovery, the United States has spent lockdown treading water. It has yet to roll out robust testing across the country, despite Tweety’s assertions since March that anybody who wants a test can get one. It has also failed to develop contact-tracing systems, as other nations have, and to flatten the curve outside the New York metro region.

Tweety's an incompetent clown.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump 1/27
"We are in very close communication with China concerning the virus. Very few cases reported in USA, but strongly on watch. We have offered China and President Xi any help that is necessary. Our experts are extraordinary!"

Source: Donald Trump, Twitter.com, Jan. 27, 2020

Biden 1/27
[President Trump is] "the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health challenge... The outbreak of a new coronavirus, which has already infected more than 2,700 people and killed over 80 in China, will get worse before it gets better. Cases have been confirmed in a dozen countries, with at least five in the United States. There will likely be more."

Source: Joe Biden, "Trump Is Worst Possible Leader to Deal with Coronavirus Outbreak," usatoday.com, Jan. 27, 2020

Biden Campaign event in Iowa: 1/31

"We have, right now, a crisis with the coronavirus. This is no time for Donald Trump's record of hysteria and xenophobia - hysterical xenophobia - and fearmongering to lead the way instead of science."

Source: Trevor Hunnicutt, "Biden Slams Trump for Cutting Health Programs before Coronavirus Outbreak," reuters.com, Jan. 31, 2020

First identified tweet about coronavirus by Joe Biden:

"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump's record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

Source: Joe Biden, Twitter.com, Feb. 1, 2020

Trump 2/3
Proclamation of travel ban on China effective Feb. 2:

"The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the People's Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended."

Interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News:

"I think the 3.4 percent [global death rate] is really a false number... So, if we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work -- some of them go to work, but they get better...But again, they don't know about the easy cases, because the easy cases don't go to the hospital...It's not that severe."

Source: Factbase, "Interview: Sean Hannity Interviews Donald Trump Via Telephone - March 4, 2020," factba.se, Mar. 4, 2020

Twitter:

"I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work. This is just more Fake News and disinformation put out by the Democrats, in particular MSDNC. Comcast covers the CoronaVirus situation horribly, only looking to do harm to the incredible & successful effort being made!"

Source: Donald Trump, Twitter.com, Mar. 5, 2020

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
No, the captain of a ship does not work "just fine" as a metaphor for President of the United States. See my above explanation for "example." And your cliche bromide "leaders lead by example" doesn't either. Different leaders lead in different ways. Even a given leader often uses different ways to lead. Captains of ships lead firstly by command. They may or may not have personal qualities that set examples that are worth following.

And the rest of your post here is just biased, slanted, opinion--an "example" of a sort of pontification. Carry on.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:

Ask yourself the important question, who is caption of the ship
is this a trick question?
Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #26
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
No, the captain of a ship does not work "just fine" as a metaphor for President of the United States. See my above explanation for "example." And your cliche bromide "leaders lead by example" doesn't either. Different leaders lead in different ways. Even a given leader often uses different ways to lead. Captains of ships lead firstly by command. They may or may not have personal qualities that set examples that are worth following.

And the rest of your post here is just biased, slanted, opinion--an "example" of a sort of pontification. Carry on.
My metaphors were perfect regardless of your opinion and here are some Trump metaphors the Post published for your displeasure.

Godzilla:
“He’s like Godzilla. Everything they throw at the monster makes him stronger.” — Bill Maher
A '90s rapper:
The whole thing is here from the now-defunct “Nightly Show.” (Basically he likes gold, he has his own cologne and vodka, and he has lots of beefs.)
DJ Khaled:
“Loud, arrogant, kind of corny. They both have catchphrases.” — comedian Hannibal Burress
A Batman villain:
“Is he like a Batman villain? In many ways he is. But our last guy in that office often reminded me of a Bond villain” — Batman writer and Trump voter Chuck Dixon
A carnival barker:
“We're not going to be able to solve our problems if we get distracted by sideshows and carnival barkers.” — President Obama in 2011
The whole carnival:
“He is less the carnival barker than the full cast — the lion, the fire-eater, the clown with the seltzer — all trussed into a single-breasted Brioni suit.” — New Yorker's Evan Osnos
AD
A Geiger counter:

Nicholas Kristof

@NickKristof
Maybe Trump is like a Geiger counter: The more noise he makes, the closer we're getting to some big and radioactive truth. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...25771858251776
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
FAKE NEWS media knowingly doesn't tell the truth. A great danger to our country. The failing @nytimes has become a joke. Likewise @CNN. Sad!

11:45 PM - Feb 24, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

815 people are talking about this

A Navy SEAL:
“As somebody said to me yesterday, Donald Trump is like a Navy SEAL; he never backs down when he’s in a fight” — Fox News's Steve Doocy
A cancer:
“Let no one be mistaken Donald Trump’s candidacy is a cancer on conservatism, and it must be clearly diagnosed, excised and discarded.” — Rick Perry (in 2015)
An autoimmune disease:
“ … The way this election is shaping up, the better analogy might be an autoimmune disease. Such illnesses result from our body’s natural defenses being marshalled against it with destructive results. Trump is exploiting our political immune system to the detriment and potentially grave peril of the republic. He’s taken what actually makes America great, the systems of government designed to foster public good — the courts, the press, our charity and financial systems — and used them for personal gain at the body politic’s expense.” — The Guardian's Lucia Graves
AD
A grilled cheese sandwich:
“I see a guy who seems to pause and dig for the more precise and better language he wants to use, and never finds it. It’s the same dish — it’s a grilled cheese sandwich rhetorically over and over again.” — Alec Baldwin
A serial killer (and the media is his prey):
SETH MEYERS: Yeah. It's a weird dance. It's like one of those movies where the serial killer is also clearly in love with the person who's trying to arrest him.
RACHEL MADDOW: So you're Clarice?
SETH MEYERS: Yeah, Clarice, yeah. The press is Clarice, and he's Lecter. It's like a cat and mouse game and like, he's definitely gonna kill some other people, but maybe not me.
A rattlesnake:
“It's like a rattlesnake taking a path through the dirt, but suddenly he shows off his fangs, and you don't expect that to happen with any of the others.” — New York Times columnist Frank Rich
A “wife who makes passionate love to you every day, seven days a week”:
“When you have a wife who makes passionate love to you every day, seven days a week, all men get up and smile my wife’s going to make love to me. When you have a wife who hates you and you sleep in opposite bedrooms, guess what? You wake up in a bad mood. So I’ve got a president who likes me now instead of one who hates me. Don’t you think it’s going to put me in a good mood and I’m going to want to hire people? Of course it does!” — former Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee Wayne Allyn Root
AD
Your drunk uncle:
“He reminds me of, like, your drunk uncle at a wedding who gets up and starts talking and just loves the crowd and just goes on and on and on and says whatever he can to get a reaction.” — Susan Sarandon
A monkey:
“The ego here is — well it’s something. By the way, his teeth come out like it's simian almost. It’s simian, like a monkey banging with a stick. You know, ‘I’m the biggest. I’m the biggest.’ Pounding his chest. It does have a simian quality to it, I mean primordial, I should say.” — MSNBC host Chris Matthews
A game show host:
“He came out of reality show television. He's like a game show person. There's no truth to it. There's no center to it. … With him, there's no beef there, there's no protein, there's no center.” — Richard Gere
A Real Housewife:

Andy Cohen

@Andy
Sweetie you are a first season Real Housewife making stuff up to stay on the show. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...13078076719107
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
What about all of the contact with the Clinton campaign and the Russians? Also, is it true that the DNC would not let the FBI in to look?

9:57 AM - Mar 20, 2017

12.8K people are talking about this

Andy Cohen

@Andy
.@realDonaldTrump has his tagline! it's official, he's a Real Housewife: "I can't be doing so badly because I'm President and you're not"

1:38 PM - Mar 23, 2017

1,626 people are talking about this

A quarterback calling audibles:
AD
“It’s like running audibles at the line of scrimmage. What’s in his playbook? I’m sitting back watching y'all. I don’t want to offend nobody and say the nothing the wrong way, but at the same time I’m confused.” — Snoop Dogg
A random impulse generator:
“He’s so unpredictable. He’s so mercurial. You know, I would be no more surprised if he stood up there and declared amnesty for all illegal immigrants to the United States than if he said he was going to take them all out to be shot. He’s like a random impulse generator.” — Michael Chabon
A fall breeze:
“Like a brisk fall breeze through Amarillo’s trees, President Donald Trump’s first few weeks have brought forth all the country’s loose and flaky elements.” — Letter writer in the Amarillo Globe-News
Get our Coronavirus Updates newsletter
Receive the most important pandemic developments in your inbox every day. All stories linked in the newsletter are free to access.

By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Comments are not available on this story.

Share your feedback by emailing the author. Have a question about our comment policies? Review our guidelines or contact the commenting team here.

Most ReadPolitics
Image without a caption
In crucial Florida, some senior voters cast a skeptical eye toward Trump’s reelection
Image without a caption
Widower of late Joe Scarborough staffer seeks removal of Trump tweets that promote baseless conspiracy theory
Image without a caption
Analysis
Trump’s seeding of a culture war over masks just got a lot less subtle
Image without a caption
Analysis
Trump’s comparison of the coronavirus to H1N1 in 2009 distills to
Old 05-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
My metaphors were perfect regardless of your opinion
Your metaphor was ridiculous.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Your metaphor was ridiculous.
it is a bit off. we have congress and the courts to limit what potus can do. he’s not a dictator or the captain.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #29
wdmso

Quote:
i admit that your side said then, that he was overreacting. is that true, or is that false?

see, i put you in a box. because if you say it’s false, you’re lying. if
you admit it’s true, you’re admitting that back then, there was no urgency or will
to do more.

with the benefit of hindsight, he should have tried to do more. the left would t have tolerated it.

anyway, i’d live to see your answer to my true false question?
admit it’s true, you’re admitting that back then, there was no urgency or will
to do more.

Your correct that's what Trump chose to do ... you can scream and yell what others said .. and no of that changes who was is charge who had the power to do more or do more with more urgency Trump sat on his hands ..

He only supports opening churches when his administration decides it's ok and anyone still doing it are attacking freedoms same with liberate Michigan..

Now it's with NC and the Convention he wants 100% attendance
Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
admit it’s true, you’re admitting that back then, there was no urgency or will
to do more.

Your correct that's what Trump chose to do ... you can scream and yell what others said .. and no of that changes who was is charge who had the power to do more or do more with more urgency Trump sat on his hands ..

He only supports opening churches when his administration decides it's ok and anyone still doing it are attacking freedoms same with liberate Michigan..

Now it's with NC and the Convention he wants 100% attendance
i can admit what trump did. you guys cannot admit how liberals responded to what he did, you can’t admit to what pelosi and diblasio did. only trump makes decisions, we don’t have congress and governors.

wdmso, what’s your opinion on biden saying that trumps travel restrictions were just fear mongering? or on pelosi and diblasio advising constituents in late february to go
to crowded public places? can you comment on that? or can you only comment on trump?