Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
Hooper
Southsider

Question National media SB coverage

What do you guys think about the national media coverage (ESPN) in the first few days after the Conference Championships???

Heavy on Eagles or Pats???

I know I am biased, but, man, it seems they'd love to see the Eagles stomp the Pats, maybe the rest of the country does too?

-Hoop
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

For all those years when the local teams (every sport) failed to make it to the final game or series, I ALWAYS wanted the underdog to win. Everyone likes a cinderella story and you are probably right, the media will be favoring the Eagles. Cannot blame them though, it is thier job to convince everyone that the Eagles have a chance.

We know better!

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Squid kids Dad

It seems everyone except for us Pats fans are sick of the Pats..Too effing bad... GO PATS!!!!!!

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Bassman18
A Yankee in Boston

Send a message via AIM to Bassman18
gee...sounds like the pats are turning into that baseball team from new york that you all love to hate...

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day,
And when it comes to my last cast, I most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,
That in His mercy I be judged, as big enough to keep.
Bassman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Hooper
Southsider

I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but the New York Yankees are in my opinion, the definition of a true dynasty. 26 World Series titles?! Say what you will, but they are the dynasty in all of sport.

In an aside, (I'm hijacking my own thread!) my father is in transportation in Boston and often picks up professional sports team at Logan when they arrive. He has told me time and time again that the New York Yankees are the most classy, nicest, and most professional bunch of guys he has ever met. They call my father Sir, they say thank you sir to him.... that says a lot when they treat the drive of their bus with respect like that.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #6
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

always said the yankees were a very professional and classy organization. can't stand gayrod, but he's only half a yankee!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooper
I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but the New York Yankees are in my opinion, the definition of a true dynasty. 26 World Series titles?! Say what you will, but they are the dynasty in all of sport.

They've only won 6 of those in the last 40 years, tho, and 4 came in a 5 year stretch from 1995-2000.

The definition of a true dynasty---8 in a row, 11 in 13 years. Guess what team I'm talking about
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
Ed B

That'd have to be the Celtics then Mike P.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Exactly what I was thinking Mike P

Now if those 26 were in 30-35 year span, then it would be overwhelming.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't care how much coverage the Eagles get, they deserve it being the best NFC team. The Patriots will prepare and come out flying ready to defend their championship. I'd like to see the Pats get there next year also.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Ed B

To add to what Hooper said about the Yankees I get a lot of these stories from my Dad who is in his eighties now and was always a big baseball fan. Anyway my Dad used to work in Boston in the late 1940's and he would get his haircut at a Barber shop in the Hotel Kenmore where a lot of the baseball teams would stay when they came into Boston to play the Sox and the Braves. The barber knew and cut hair for a lot of the players and he had a million great stories that he could tell.

The barber basically said that the Yankees were given good money to eat well, dress well, stay well groomed etc.. A lot of the shenanigans that the other players used to pull were not tolerated, that's just the way the Yankee organization wanted things to be. At the other end of the spectrum, the team he said was the craziest was the St Louis Cardinals with Dizzy and Daffy Dean and the gashouse gang. He said some of those guys just farm boys from the deep south could barely read or write and that was not uncommon for those days. They would be up all night raising hell walking around the halls of the hotel drunk, playing the juice harp and having a good ole time.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
rexhamer

We will certainly see a split among the national media, many of whom got embarrassed when they picked the Colts, then burned again when they picked the Steelers. They will jump wholeheartedly to the Pats now because they do not want to look silly picking against them three times on the way to their second consecutive SB.

On the other side, many pundits are inclined to root for the underdog. Can't blame them for that. Frankly, the only dynasties I want are for my home team. Dynasities for other cities can be depressing.

The two Boomers, Esiason and Berman, have been picking the Pats all along. It will be intesting to see how former players from other dynasties (Dallas, SF, Pitt) pick. I suspect they go against the Pats in the hope that their dynasties are not threatened.

"Time and tides wait for no man", ... and neither do the fish.
rexhamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
theSURF121

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike P
They've only won 6 of those in the last 40 years, tho, and 4 came in a 5 year stretch from 1995-2000.

The definition of a true dynasty---8 in a row, 11 in 13 years. Guess what team I'm talking about
Yeah, those Yankee teams in the 30's ,40's and 50's were horrible!

M.S.A. #422
L.I.B.B.A. #422
theSURF121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
kippy
Got Necco's?

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike_King
All I can say,thank God we won't have to see or listen to Dan Marino or Shannon Sharpe on the pregame show.Those two are so anti Pats it's not even funny.The so called experts and talking heads in the national media would love to see the Pat's lose. They have spent the last two weeks explaining at nauseum why they were supposed to lose to Indy and Pitts.The worst thing is seeing all the frauds at ESPN who vehemently picked Indy and Pitts all of a sudden on the Pat's bandwagon There's nothing worse than fairweather fans
I agree wholeheartedly..Shannon Sharpe is a horsefaced idiot and Dan Marino...10 fingers no rings!

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote