Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #31
bayman

thanks to all for this great event. plugs plugs and more plugs JUST BEAUTIFUL!
bayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #32
Woodbuster

What a great time! Definitely worth the drive! Inspiration meter is back up to full now! Time to make the donuts!!
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #33
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thank you to all who put this together. Awesome day and even better people. I am jealous of all the outstanding pluggage. I have to get the wife to let me start making my own. Thier is nothing you can say about the Thomas' that haven't been said.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #34
WadingWill

This was my first plugfest and it sure won't be my last. Thanks to everyone who made this happen, Mike, John R, TT, etc... Thanks ProfessorM for letting me pick your brain and being very generous with your knowledge. Numbskull I really appreciatte the x-rays and also the pointers you gave me. Orlando and Angler thanks for the painting tips, you guys do an amazing job with spray cans! BigFish, that was great of you to do the paint demo, I'll see you at the RISSA show. I was so inspired by the work you guys do it's incredible, I'll be turning all day today just trying to catch up with you guys!!! Well thanks agian all and great to meet all of you.
WadingWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #35
chumbucket

Plugfest gets better every year and still keeps its friendly, laid-back attitude from the beginnings thanks to Slipknot - Bruce May who started this whole thing a few years back and John R our striped-bass host who runs a great website always generous and striper fishing community minded.
So many great Plugbuilders and striper fishermen in attendance and how-to demonstrations I am always impressed how it all gets done with the hard work from everyone involved. Thank You:
Mike CC tackle
Vineyardblues
Prof. Moriarty
Throwing Timber
Nightfighter
Rockfish9
Flaptail
Saltydog
Charleston
Arne P.
Eastend Lu
Tagger
Woodbuster
PNG
...nice seeing:
Striperknight
SquidhoundJones
Tobias
Canalman
stiff-tip
...can't forget John 'Habs' Haberek who I met for the first time at the second plugfest at Slipknot's, lets hoist a blueberry lager to Habs.
and anyone else I neglected to mention.congrats to the winners and nice talking plugs with everyone.
Chumbucket

chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #36
saltydog

SAME HERE. THANK YOU ALL, with out you guys I never would have taken so much interest, an had so much JOY in building plugs,thanks again
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #37
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Thanks everyone that was a fun day huh

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Thanks to everyone who came to this event. I Hope you all had a great time and each walked away with a little more knowledge than when you arrived.
I know my head is spinning about the sealer experiment !!
PlugFest grown so much from slips garage to middleboro.
I think it's time to plan on a bigger place to have it for next year. some place with a minimum of 3,500sf hall

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #39
HOCKEYCOACH
f/v Fin-ish Work?

For the time I was there it was great. Thanks first to Backbeach Jake after my ? Fri. I convinced my better ahlf to go with me. Fred the couple of times I was going to speak to you, you were in the middle of trading and I got a call and had to leave early to pick up one of the kids in Plymouth(wasn't expectig that). The builders there gave me a lot of inspiration, colors, finishes,etc. I can't wait to finish redoing the shop. Thanks to Scott/TimS both of us were amazed by the paint we talked about the colors for most of the ride home. I loss I couldn't stay for the paint and turning seminars. That was one of the reasons for going. This was my first but not my last Plugfest.
HOCKEYCOACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #40
Backbeach Jake

Geeze 'Coach, you shoulda tackled me. I had a plug for you. Wanted to talk homey stuff. Going to NT to "check the mail" Saturday, weather permitting, gimme a wave from your porch.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #41
GunnySniper
Master of Ceremonies

As a returning member from the infancy days, I was glad to finally meet some of the folks I have been conversing with over the years. The Plug fest was first class and top notch. I am also returning to plug making after a long hyatus and was happy to see how the skill is growing in popularity again. Back in the day, there were so many plug builders selling their stuff on the beach you'd go broke after cashing in the fish if you bought from every one. Then the art all but disappeared for a while with the exception of a few skilled die hards.
Now we are seeing kids take an interest, can't wait to see what some of these youngsters put out a few years from now
Great time, awesome talent, and some pretty darn good chow too.

"Cause you can't starve us out, and you can't make us run" Hank Jr.
GunnySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #42
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
VENISON CHILI
That was good chili (mild for me) but nearly burnt Slips tounge.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #43
Johnny21

Wow. My first winter plugfest. There was a lot of knowledge in that room yesterday. I know a lot of you guys from past years and the other site, and I could tell some people looked at my name tag . I'm not online a ton, I hope to change that. I wish I could have talked to everyone, I know I missed some names for sure.
I had time to digest most of it on my 7 hour drive home last night . There is nothing like this over in my area (rochester, NY), and every time I return home from a new england trip I'm jealous. This is a great group of guys and gals all with the same interest. Everybody's willing to help, share, donate, teach,....you name it, and the stories,...... . Thanks to everyone behind the scenes, and everyone who fed us too. I am not really a winter builder, but Sat. lit a spark. I really had a great time. Hope to see you all, and contribute online more here.
Johnny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #44
eastendlu

Hi John glad you came always good to see you and your great looking plugs.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #45
Johnny21

Lu,... I love your work, and talking shop with you. I really want to get down to your neck, and check it out. You have some great stories. Great seeing you again, and thanks for everything.
Johnny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #46
Rockfish9

This was a fun event....Often times, when you look forward to something, it often times doesnt live up to expectations, well, plugfest is NOT one of those events, I was drop dead tired ( I only had 3 hours sleep the night before) on my way home, but, I was so jacked that I was wide awake... I got home and my wife says " what the hell happend to your voice" well, as those who spent any time in my vicinity know.. I never shut my yap the whole day.... truely a great day with great people..

Thanks to Mike Thomas and his family for hosting the club. a big thanks to John R for sponsering the site, and thanks to slip Knot for starting this thing back before I had a computer on my desk or had a clue how to use it!

I finaly unpacked the truck yesterday.... I got some mighty fine pluggage, Lu, that bottle darter is INSANE! I cant thank you enough, I've never built one.... YET...
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #47
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

I had some bodies I brought for the demos. Scott (#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&) showed me how to do tail wrap (Big thanks!) on them.

This one I had Ed (Stripercrazy) use for his marble painting demo.
Came out sweet.

Thanks to all the guys who did demos. When I learn tricks and tips it makes that long drive worthwhile.
This year I tried to talk with as many people as possible. The name tags really helped that out.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #48
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny21 View Post
I had time to digest most of it on my 7 hour drive home last night .
Staties must have been sleeping. Lucky you. Lucky us that you came. Meeting you (and learning from you) was the high point of my day. Stay in touch.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #49
Woodbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Staties must have been sleeping. Lucky you. Lucky us that you came.
I'm the lucky one!
Did you see that piece of tiger maple Johnny gave me?
His plugs are unique and swim fantastic too!!!
Thanks for making that trip J!
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #50
Biteme

It has always amazed me the generosity and the talent displayed at Plugfest. Where else can you meet strangers from the internet, with strange screen names, in the basement of a building down a long dirt road, talking about plugs, and not get arrested . Thanks to everybody who helped put this together .
Biteme is offline   Reply With Quote