Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

what do you use to cut thread

i've been doing ok with nail clippers, looking for a better choice.
looking for sharp easy to use quality cutters for triming those pesky pull unders on the wraps. what have you guys found to be good for cutting threads? my sons nail clippers just dont cut it anymore.
DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

buy a sleeve of 100 single edge razors from CVS or a hardware store. they have a ton of uses in rodbuilding.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Billy 40

That sleeve of 100 in Home Depot is like $6. I think Mudhole gets them from there too, but they charge $15 or something. They also have special $66 drywall tape. lol.
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
Goose

Small curved pointy scissors works very well....pharmacy
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Saltheart

I use the single edge razor blades. The sharper they are , the better they work. Trick is to pull on the thread when cutting so the end gets pulled back under the wrap. If you leave a fuzzy end , you can burn the fuzz with a lighter flame or finish and scalp it off with a razor between coats.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

i do use straight edge blades too, kinda liked the clippers. better to handle with fat fingers i'll pull as i cut saltheart could be what i'm missing. you guys ever try cutting the end short on the pull through so the end never comes through? was reading the first clemmens book on that, no need to trim end stays under wraps. will have to practice on that too looks easy enough.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
Saltheart

I tried it but found I always cut it too long. paranoid about not having enough tucked under so i always cut it too long and had the little tail sticking out. Went back to trimming after its all pulled through.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
Billy 40

I had the same result as Salt - I'd cut it too long, and then trimming the litlle nub was even more impossible. Pul tight, slice parallel to teh wrap, take thumbnail and push the same direction as teh thread was wrapped - this will remove the small gap from when you pulled the tag tight, and will remove the Vee at teh end of teh wrap whihc was caused when you pulled teh tag through.
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

will do billy40, good info.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I go thru about 1 box of single edge Razor Blades every 3 weeks and the best scissors for thread is by far the Fiskars Snips .

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If you follow a couple suggestions, you will never have a tag end in the middle of a wrap again. First, insuring you have the tieoff loop wrapped in early enough helps out a lot. Now if your putting decorative warps on thw outside of the main wrap then it gets wrapped in as soon as the thread is caught. That's step one, giving yourself some room to pull a small tag back through, without it ever coming out in the first place.

Second, once you cut the thread and put it through the loop, pull it up tight against the end of the wrap, then it is stuck and you can use both hands. Cut it as close to the loop as needed to pull it back under the wrap, but without it coming out at all. On big underwraps or on large guides, this can be loose and if you left a good 1/4 inch when you tied in the loop, then you can pull it threw easily. Smaller wraps require cutting close to the loop, smaller still ditto, but then pull at an angle so the thread is not pulled 90 degrees to the wrap.

If that makes sense you will not likely ever have to worry. If I miss judge I just trim it close and worry about a closer trim after the first coat of finish goes on. That way if you nick a thread, you won't loose the wrap.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:05 AM   #12
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

will do that tonight bob, i have been pulling through at 90 degree angle will change that. putting in the tie off loop early in the wrap makes sense for the pull through with no trim gonna practice that too, will check out those fiskars snips mike and get more straight edge blades. will post pics soon of rod, looking good. went with metalic pewter under wraps with ice blue metalic trim band and metalic silver trim band over wraped with black nylon thread for the guides. i got the gunmetal framed guides with the blue ring and went with a fugi plate type reel seat on cork tape handle, 1 striped decal and a nice clean butt wrap. pics soon thanks for your help