Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #61
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Made another trip today. How much do golf lessons cost?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #62
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Got my best fish in the boat this AM. Scale bounced between 43 and 45#. She's still swimming. No picture as I was:
1. Alone

2. 4 foot swell

3. Up against some real nasty rocks.

PB on my boat.
Nice Paul,
F the pics
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #63
Guppy
User

Dark as hell last night, wind kicked up a little, used old machine point to get in tight to rocks (dangerous hey?) , in two different spots,,,
Caught a bunch of what felt like really big rocks, they love eels

Fifth day of fishing in a row,,, R&R tomorrow

Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #64
Guppy
User

Here's one
My life long fishing buddy's gran son comes out this way once a year. He's the spitin image of his farther who I watched grow up with a rod in his hand. 11 years old, get up at 3 am, no problem, let's get going, I can't wait....
Well last year was less than a stellar trip and I promised next year I'd get him a monster..
Primed him with macs, heads for the Race, throughs one out there, hands him the rod, Sa mash, fights a 25# for what seemed like forever...
It brought me back 35-40 yrs., I could just see his farther at that age wearing the way too large yellow suit, pouring rain, standing in the 16' tin boat with the exact , exact,wide eyed smile on his face, grunting with every pump of the rod.... God I miss those days

Fishing memories are forever

Walon.JPG

Last edited by Guppy; 07-24-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #65
bassballer

Quote:
Got my best fish in the boat this AM. Scale bounced between 43 and 45#. She's still swimming. No picture as I was:
1. Alone

2. 4 foot swell

3. Up against some real nasty rocks.

PB on my boat.
nice Paul
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #66
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
That they are and we are lucky for it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #67
wdmso

Again the weather has kept me on the trailer was hoping to have a better week but its not looking good

Las t week I was at the Race catching but nothing big most 28in to 32 in fish very Fat and very feisty.. 2 notable thing did happen had 2 humpbacks 20 yards off the stern cruise by .. and happened on a huge school of pogies the biggest i have ever seen basically it was a moving football field i saw it not from splashing pogies but it looked like a rust spot .. but they were completely alone was hoping for a Tuna or 2 to show up they were between the race and the SW corner of Stellwagen
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #68
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

Congrats Paul, nice fish no matter how you caught it.
In The Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #69
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Again the weather has kept me on the trailer was hoping to have a better week but its not looking good

Las t week I was at the Race catching but nothing big most 28in to 32 in fish very Fat and very feisty.. 2 notable thing did happen had 2 humpbacks 20 yards off the stern cruise by .. and happened on a huge school of pogies the biggest i have ever seen basically it was a moving football field i saw it not from splashing pogies but it looked like a rust spot .. but they were completely alone was hoping for a Tuna or 2 to show up they were between the race and the SW corner of Stellwagen
You'll be on the trailer tomorrow for sure,, good seeing ya, went back up there Wednesday ,,, so so, one 20 +
Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #70
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here's one
My life long fishing buddy's gran son comes out this way once a year. He's the spitin image of his farther who I watched grow up with a rod in his hand. 11 years old, get up at 3 am, no problem, let's get going, I can't wait....
Well last year was less than a stellar trip and I promised next year I'd get him a monster..
Primed him with macs, heads for the Race, throughs one out there, hands him the rod, Sa mash, fights a 25# for what seemed like forever...
It brought me back 35-40 yrs., I could just see his farther at that age wearing the way too large yellow suit, pouring rain, standing in the 16' tin boat with the exact , exact,wide eyed smile on his face, grunting with every pump of the rod.... God I miss those days

That is COOL Ray

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #71
fishrick

Have taken 5 of my grandkids fishing this year so far....some are diehards like this, others are "casual"....still tons of fun. One grandson and I hit the rail on the Frances fleet for an all day trip and he never gave up...every minute, and a slow day. We did get two good fluke.
fishrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #72
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Headed out tomorrow AM with my nephews Father-in -law and his little (10 YO) nephew from Sacramento CA. Hope to get them into some decent fish. We'll see. I'm hoping it lays down as there are Small Craft Warnings up right now.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #73
Rockfish9

Quote:
Headed out tomorrow AM with my nephews Father-in -law and his little (10 YO) nephew from Sacramento CA. Hope to get them into some decent fish. We'll see. I'm hoping it lays down as there are Small Craft Warnings up right now.
pretty ugly here too right now...mouth of the river is wild...it'll be a few days before it calms down out front... good time to catch up on some "honey do " chores... and trap some eels.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #74
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I cancelled the trip. No place for a couple of "flat landers" from interior CA. We'll try tomorrow.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #75
Steve K

I like this thread and I would like to keep it going:

It was only my second time out fishing this season because I have been too busy selling and buying a house. I was on BI the last week of July and there were pogies on Crescent Beach during the day. I had never seen that before. On Sunday night during the new moon and right before the nor’easter and I had teen size stripers on every cast for two hours. They were aggressively feeding on large pogies. I stopped counting at 15 fish and lost around 10. I was exhausted and secretly hoping it would end but there was no way I could leave until it stopped. The seas were really big which kept the fish in close for the first three hours of the outgoing. I could tell the fishing were moving to deeper water because toward the end the fish were hitting the plug as soon as it hit the water. I was completely alone and it was pitch black out which made fixing my broken headlamp an impossibility. My headlamp strap malfunctioned causing the light to cover my face but I could not stop to fix it while fighting fish. When I did stop it was too dark for me to figure out what was wrong with. I spend the night with the strap whipping my head and the light slowly slipping down in front of my eyes. My boot became untied and filled up with sand but I did not notice until it was really bad. I live for nights like this which are a total blast. Glad to see so many teen size bass around.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #76
SAUERKRAUT
surfwalker

Hunting Alone.

It doesn't happen often having good fishing alone. It almost never happens in the Canal environment. It almost never happens along the NJ beaches.

I took a 23-0 this AM all alone on a riggie. All Alone because the weather was delightfully #^&#^&#^&#^&ty so the softie boaters were docked.
SAUERKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #77
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I sweated thru my rain gear last night as the rain permeated thru my gear in the opposite direction. Soggy is an understatement. Oh yeah and I didn't catch a thing. Lots of other nit wits out there with me too.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #78
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

GB and I fished off Westport today, schoolies everywhere, but mostly small; although Greg managed two just over 28".
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 AM   #79
Rmarsh

Took the boat out on Monday to look for Bonito. I had caught a couple of them last week so I thought I might find them again. No such luck this time. What we did find was pretty good though.

Pulled up to a rocky area where the dropping tide was creating a pretty good rip. My guest and I began by both hooking up immediatly with keeper size stripers. We went on catching on every cast like that for a good two hours. We had to take a break after a while to hydrate then went right back to the frenzy.

On the way back in I saw a fin sticking up out of the water, so I slowed down and turned the boat in that direction. It took me a minute to figure out that it was an ocean sunfish, basking on the surface. My buddy and i started laughing and joking about it being a baby whale or a tuna. "Jay, what is that f'ing thing.....call the aquarium"
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #80
scottw

love this time of year for the opportunity to catch so many different species...August is when I usually find squeteague, bones are here and albies coming...last year blue runners were in the mix....with the bait and favorable weather you never know what you might find
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8220202.jpg (108.7 KB, 39 views)
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #81
Zeal
Always a Rookie

About a week or 2 ago I saw a ton of bunker (seriously, I think it would have weighed that much) with some brown sharks, hammerhead, and a nice humpback whale. But the fluking has been awful along with tuna around these parts. I haven't tried for stripers yet but even the commercial guys are pretty down lately too.

I did catch my first mackerel which was a short fight since it was small but it was fun nonetheless.

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #82
Rmarsh

Missed opportunity last night......something large grabbed my eel and headed due south............zzzz...zzzz......zzzzz...snap.
Brand new line on my reel and I don't think my drag was set too tight. Definately never hooked into anything that pulled that hard before. Tied on a new rig and eel, then caught a few teen sized stripers that were just plain disapointing.
Tossed and turned in my sleep and my first thought when waking this morning.....how and why did that happen? Maybe a seal I dunno
Old 09-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #83
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Missed opportunity last night......something large grabbed my eel and headed due south............zzzz...zzzz......zzzzz...snap.
Brand new line on my reel and I don't think my drag was set too tight. Definately never hooked into anything that pulled that hard before. Tied on a new rig and eel, then caught a few teen sized stripers that were just plain disapointing.
Tossed and turned in my sleep and my first thought when waking this morning.....how and why did that happen? Maybe a seal I dunno
Wow Bob!
That'll drive ya nuts , hey?
Do Albies like eels? :-)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #84
Guppy
User

Albie bite up this way is off the wall....
Old 09-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #85
Rmarsh

Quote:
Albie bite up this way is off the wall....
Hope to find them down this way.
Taking the boat out tomorrow to try my luck.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #86
CTSurfrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I say you go with a seal. It will help you sleep better!

Bill
CTSurfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #87
Tunabreath

I'm gonna look for Albies this week too, hopefully a decent weather window
Tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #88
PaulS

I saw a guy cast his back up outfit into the canal today. Luckily it stayed attached and he was able to reel it in. Right below the pier so people got a good laugh at that. Saw a guy who had no idea what he was doing catch about a 47-inch fish then catch a smaller one later and threw it next to the larger fish. I told him you can only keep one he said no I can keep 4 bc I have three friends with me. The fish ended up down near the bubble weed and I heard him talking on the phone saying to one of his friends it's not the size we want. I told him I was going to call the police on them. His friend later showed up and then left with three fish because they had two little kids with him.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #89
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I saw a guy cast his back up outfit into the canal today. Luckily it stayed attached and he was able to reel it in. Right below the pier so people got a good laugh at that. Saw a guy who had no idea what he was doing catch about a 47-inch fish then catch a smaller one later and threw it next to the larger fish. I told him you can only keep one he said no I can keep 4 bc I have three friends with me. The fish ended up down near the bubble weed and I heard him talking on the phone saying to one of his friends it's not the size we want. I told him I was going to call the police on them. His friend later showed up and then left with three fish because they had two little kids with him.
For those of us not too sharp :-)

"Back up outfit" ?

That's how to teach those kids, hey?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #90
PaulS

He had 2 rods. Was riding my bike by and heard the second Rod being launched into the water. Must have been behind him and he caught it on his back cast
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote