Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

Peen torque, Vs, ZB?

Im going to ask a which is better type question. I have a vs 200 and its great, have a ZB 27 that i friggin love, but twice in the last 2 years it has crapped out on me. Once about 3 miles from my truck, last night at my truck. I used it last week, washed it after and put it away. Last night i was gearing up and i put the handle on it, something wasn't right. The reel is locked up, worked perfect all last week. I had it serviced last year.

Anyone have the new vsX 275? Thinking about getting it to replace the zb27, just about the same size but a couple ounces heavier. The thing i like most about the ZB's is the drag and the smoothness of the reel itself. Are the VSx reels similar to the older ones in respect to not being that smooth, and a little stiff to reel in, or are they smoother?

I like the higher retrieve speed of the ZB, and the size is right for a couple rods that i throw.

I am also considering the penn torque but i have never laid hands on one so have no comparison at all.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I have the new vsx 150 and 250, the drag is way better than the standard vs, no locking up and jerky start and stop. Line lay is great, no issues besides my 250 is changing colors due to bad anodizing

The zees I had were great but like you had tons of issues, more than I care to comment on! But the drag is amazing

Never played around with the penn, but based on how crappy all their other stuff has been for me I'm not interested in trying it!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Open the ZB and fix it. Simple stuff. The VS's leak as well and neither reel has a better sealing system as far as I can tell. As far as preventative maintenance, VS recommends a drop of oil on the handle and shaft seal after use to keep the seal from drying. Probably would help the ZB as well although I've not bothered with mine.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Rob Rockcrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Open the ZB and fix it. Simple stuff. The VS's leak as well and neither reel has a better sealing system as far as I can tell. As far as preventative maintenance, VS recommends a drop of oil on the handle and shaft seal after use to keep the seal from drying. Probably would help the ZB as well although I've not bothered with mine.
I will watch the video and try to open her up. If i cant get her running i will mail it to the shop again. Its frustrating after a 2 mile bike ride and a half mile hike to have a reel fail. A couple spots that i fish that are tough to reach i will bring the vs even though i prefer the zb just because it has never failed me yet.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Redsoxticket

Let us know what you see once you open the reel.
I am willing to wager the main bearing and anti reverse on the main shift have rusted thereby locking the reel, easy fix if you have the parts and tool kit.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Rob Rockcrawler

Failed on opening it up. I got the side plate off, but two of the three screws on top under the spool will not come out. They spin but are not coming out. I will send it in. Last time it went to the shop i got it back in a week. Since i have never opened it up i wonder how the screws got messed up.