Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
wdmso

Trumps New Years Tweet

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

and his supporters were outraged with being called
Deplorable

So if you voted against , Trump sees theses Americans as Enemies ...

How authoritarian of him

Now you can post and tell me what he really was saying
Old 12-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Redsoxticket

Donald doesn't realize what a imbecile he is.
Sad
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
‏@realDonaldTrump
Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

Deplorable

How authoritarian of him

Since you like to look up definitions on the internet, I thought I'd save you the trouble. Here's the first one I found:

"a person who is actively opposed or hostile to someone or something.
synonyms: opponent · adversary · foe · archenemy · rival"

I assume he meant those "opposed" to him, fought him in the campaign, or any who were his "opponent" or "adversary" or "rival" in the campaign. Of course, if you want to take him to mean something else . . . it's still a free country.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:

How authoritarian of him

maybe the same thing Authoritarian Obama was saying?

‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us’.... Barak Obama

did Trump mention "punishing" anyone?...cause that would sound REALLY authoritarian
Old 12-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
maybe the same thing Authoritarian Obama was saying?

‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us’.... Barak Obama

did Trump mention "punishing" anyone?...cause that would sound REALLY authoritarian
Not only did he not call for punishing his "enemies," in the last word of his quote he extended them "Love!"

God . . . what a deplorable, authoritarian person he is!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

sounds like he wished a happy new year to all, meaning everyone. That also includes 2 groups he pointed out

1. his many enemies
2. those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do.

it does not read to me that he is lumping both into those who don't know what to do. Obviously there are only some who act like it's the end of the world.

Sounds like he is spreading the love

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
wdmso

this is what I think the POTUS elect is expected to say. not taunting New Year’s greeting to those who opposed him.

Happy New Year to all, including the many who did not vote for me and let us move past the election and start the New Year on Making America great again . Love!

I guess I am wrong to expect him to act presidential ...

And in 50 years I have never Heard a POTUS use the word enemy when referring to the American people.. or Sports Revival New England and Miami they are not called enemies..

you can not Take something out of context when its used as Noun as he used the word enemy (the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.)

We Know Putin isn't his enemy after this Tweet When Putin Russia won't expel US diplomats out

Mr Trump used Twitter to praise Mr Putin’s tactics, saying it was a “great move”. Id love to hear what I am missing here
Old 01-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
this is what I think the POTUS elect is expected to say. not taunting New Year’s greeting to those who opposed him.

Happy New Year to all, including the many who did not vote for me and let us move past the election and start the New Year on Making America great again . Love!

I guess I am wrong to expect him to act presidential ...

Yes, you are wrong if you expect him to act the way you think he should. That's why he won. He didn't "act" like a typical politician. Many Americans had seen enough acting. They recognized it for what is was--"acting." And they saw the real hypocrisy unfold after the act was over.

And in 50 years I have never Heard a POTUS use the word enemy when referring to the American people.. or Sports Revival New England and Miami they are not called enemies..

You must have missed Scottw ponting out Obama using the word, even saying we would punish them. I assume he was talking about Americans.

you can not Take something out of context when its used as Noun as he used the word enemy (the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.)

I didn't take it out of context. I put it in the proper context. You are the one that seems to want to create a context.

We Know Putin isn't his enemy after this Tweet When Putin Russia won't expel US diplomats out

Mr Trump used Twitter to praise Mr Putin’s tactics, saying it was a “great move”. Id love to hear what I am missing here
Putin is not Trumps enemy in the context of Trump's New Year's twitter. As far as Putin not expelling US diplomats goes, that WAS a great move. And it did create a less inimical context.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
wdmso

Boehner said about Mr. Obama's use of the word "enemies"

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a president in the White House who referred to Americans who disagree with him as 'our enemies.' Think about that. He actually used that word. When Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush used the word 'enemy,' they reserved it for global terrorists and foreign dictators -- enemies of the United States. Enemies of freedom. Enemies of our country. Today, sadly, we have president who uses the word 'enemy' for fellow Americans -- fellow citizens. He uses it for people who disagree with his agenda of bigger government -- people speaking out for a smaller, more accountable government that respects freedom and allows small businesses to create jobs. Mr. President, there's a word for people who have the audacity to speak up in defense of freedom, the Constitution, and the values of limited government that made our country great. We don't call them 'enemies.' We call them 'patriots.'"

Mr. Obama told Baisden that he should have used the word, "opponents," rather than "enemies"

I have yet to see Trump Correct his usage of the word as Obama did.. shocking

Seems The rights outrage over the POTUS using the word enemy evaporates with Trumps usage how surprising
Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
Mr. Obama told Baisden that he should have used the word, "opponents," rather than "enemies"

Seems The rights outrage over the POTUS using the word enemy evaporates with Trumps usage how surprising
‘We’re gonna punish our opponents and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us’.... Barak Obama

still sounds pretty "authoritarian"
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
PaulS

People in his admin (Amorosa LOL) said people better be careful what they say because they were making an enemy list.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Boehner said about Mr. Obama's use of the word "enemies"

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a president in the White House who referred to Americans who disagree with him as 'our enemies.' Think about that. He actually used that word. When Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush used the word 'enemy,' they reserved it for global terrorists and foreign dictators -- enemies of the United States. Enemies of freedom. Enemies of our country. Today, sadly, we have president who uses the word 'enemy' for fellow Americans -- fellow citizens. He uses it for people who disagree with his agenda of bigger government -- people speaking out for a smaller, more accountable government that respects freedom and allows small businesses to create jobs. Mr. President, there's a word for people who have the audacity to speak up in defense of freedom, the Constitution, and the values of limited government that made our country great. We don't call them 'enemies.' We call them 'patriots.'"

Mr. Boehner does not like Trump. Boehner gave Obama almost everything he asked for. He did not "oppose" Obama as much as he could have and as much as his constituents wanted him to do. Boehner was entrenched in office and cared more about keeping his position than doing what his constituents wanted in terms of defunding Obamacare, stopping continuing resolutions, spending more money than we have, and a laundry list of stuff that he failed on. Trump would probably refer to Boehner as a loser. Trump has done more for the Republican party in one election than Boehner did in his years in office. Boehner had an overall negative impact on the power of his Party. He is probably envious of how Trump's political incorrectness has done so much more for the Party than Boehner's political correctness did. Political correctness nearly destroyed his Party. Now Boehner says Trump should have said thus and such rather than so and so. How would Boehner, a "loser," know what should be said. His brand of correctness benefited him personally, but not the Party. Trump doesn't need the political power that Boehner needed in order to gain his wealth. And Boehner's own party did not back him to retain his Speaker status, but gave it to Paul Ryan instead. Which should tell you how much his own Party cared about what Boehner thought was the correct way to speak.

It is not surprising that Boehner painted Trump negatively. He was a political "enemy" of Trump.

Mr.Obama told Baisden that he should have used the word, "opponents," rather than "enemies"

But he did say "enemies." And he did say that we will punish them. And he knew perfectly well what actual words he spoke, and how those words would be received and understood, and what effect they would have. That mission was accomplished. Replacing a word later with a nicer one wouldn't make any difference other than giving an ex post facto illusion that he is a nice and correct guy.

I have yet to see Trump Correct his usage of the word as Obama did.. shocking

And you usually won't. Get over it. It's the way he talks. Everybody knows that by now.Taking him literally every time, or being put out by his choice of words is misleading, unless you intentionally impute meanings to his words that he obviously did not intend. The twitter was classic Trump sarcasm. Taking it more than that is ignorant.

I can only speak for myself, not for the right. I didn't detect anything nefarious or war-like in his use of the word "enemies." I instantly grasped that he was referring to political enemies. "Political enemies" is a phrase in very common usage.

It's not surprising that you seem to be implying that he meant something more sinister than political "enemies." So, do you care to spell out what he was actually saying other than political opponents. And where he said that Americans, specifically, are his enemies

Last edited by detbuch; 01-01-2017 at 08:40 PM..
Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I can only speak for myself, not for the right. I didn't detect anything nefarious or war-like in his use of the word "enemies."

So, do you care to spell out what he was actually saying other than political opponents. And where he said that Americans, specifically, are his enemies Now you want specifics? maybe you need to read his Tweet he sent out to the public in a forum where 1 can not ask questions of trump who he was referring to as enemies ?which is the way he wants it ...
then re read the republicans response to Obama's use of enemies this time with objectivity then you'll see my concern
And people were saying Obama was acting like a Dictator . and Some think Trump Isn't?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	63730  
Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch
I can only speak for myself, not for the right. I didn't detect anything nefarious or war-like in his use of the word "enemies."

So, do you care to spell out what he was actually saying other than political opponents. And where he said that Americans, specifically, are his enemies

[QUOTE=wdmso;1114568]Now you want specifics? maybe you need to read his Tweet he sent out to the public in a forum where 1 can not ask questions of trump who he was referring to as enemies ?which is the way he wants it ...
then re read the republicans response to Obama's use of enemies this time with objectivity then you'll see my concern

Quote:
And people were saying Obama was acting like a Dictator . and Some think Trump Isn't?
I spoke for myself, not for Republicans, or "the right," or "some people." I asked you to speak for yourself. Is that too difficult? You are, after all, the one who brought up the subject.

Speaking for myself, as far as what I think Obama meant when he referred to his enemies and punishing them, in my opinion he was referring to the battle of ideas he was waging with whom he considered traditional American Conservatives. The political fight with whom he considered bigots and clingers to outdated and unfair values, including the Constitution.

I think differently about traditional American conservative values. And, especially, I think differently about the Constitution and the system of government that it creates. I think that our constitutional system of government protects individual freedom.

I think that Obama's version of government suppresses individual freedom. That government, in my opinion of his view, decides what rights are and who can have them.

I think that his vision of government is dictatorial.

I am not sure what Trump's vision of government is. He seems to have some dictatorial notions. My only concern in this election was nominees for the Supreme Court. I considered that the Republican candidate would be better for that choice rather than any Democrat candidate.

That is my briefest statement on the subject. I have briefly stated my personal opinion of what I thought Trump meant by "enemies." And I have done the same re Obama's use of the word.

Are you able to do that?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

How can someone claiming he knows more than our generals and every other intelligence agency possibly make enemies 😂
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
How can someone claiming he knows more than our generals and every other intelligence agency possibly make enemies ��
That certainly clears up what Trump meant by his twitter. Nothing else need be said. Stupid thread closed!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Nothing else need be said. Stupid thread closed!
well, we did learn that wishing your enemies a Happy New Year is a far worse offense that standing before an angry mob and calling for the punishment of your enemies/opponents...

tough to figure these libs out sometimes
Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

tough to figure these libs out sometimes
I'm starting a gun collection.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
PaulS

You have a lot of anger there.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
You have a lot of anger there.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #21
PaulS

🙋😈❤
Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 AM   #22
wdmso

I see Trump use of twitter Like the Russians use of State controlled media

One sided no chance for His enemies to ask questions or obtain details about his statements and making policy via the format is dangerous

his latest : North Korea just stated that it is in the final stages of developing a nuclear weapon capable of reaching parts of the U.S. It won't happen!

Again tell me what he means

A) we are going to stop them Militarily

B) He know's their rockets dont work good

C) ????????????????????
Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #23
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Yawn. Did I say boat goes in 3 week in April. 👀 🚤🚤🚤🚤🚤🎣🎣🎣🎣

Carry on.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
‏@realDonaldTrump

Deplorable

How authoritarian of him

Very un-presidential.

Maybe he took his cue in this regard, from the soon-to-be-former POTUS, or from Hilary. Obama and Hilary never attempted to hide their contempt for everyone who disagreed with them.

My favorite quote from Obama's 8 years..."Republicans gotta stop just hating all the time". That's an exact quote.

Yes, yes. Mitt Romney and John McCain, all they do is hate, all the time.

I didn't like it when Obama did it, I don't like it when Trump does it. Trump (like Obama) is a thin skinned, vindictive pr*ck. To me, the difference is policy. Both Obama and Trump are jerks, but I think Trump is correct on policy, a whole lot more than I think Obama is correct on policy. I would have zero interest in getting to know either one of them.

If you want to spend the next 4 years pointing out every time Trump makes an azz out of himself, you will be busy, he will give you a lot of ammunition. And you will be correct every time you point it out.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'm bleeding out, took care of my post election headache, if I make it to the spring run it will be a miracle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	63732  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #26
FishermanTim

At least he's not planning on giving everyone in Gitmo a free pass to rejoin "society"!

That's going to be Obama's legacy...he freed all the terrorist and "combatants" as he leaves office.

He even said he wants to see all of the current residents released.

He's really showing us what "loving you enemy" really means, and in this era of increased terror attacks, do you really want your "enemy" loving you back???

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
At least he's not planning on giving everyone in Gitmo a free pass to rejoin "society"!

That's going to be Obama's legacy...he freed all the terrorist and "combatants" as he leaves office.

He even said he wants to see all of the current residents released.

He's really showing us what "loving you enemy" really means, and in this era of increased terror attacks, do you really want your "enemy" loving you back???
Don't worry. I heard he was sending them home in the glass bottom canoes so the sharks will just get them, right? 😁

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Don't worry. I heard he was sending them home in the glass bottom canoes so the sharks will just get them, right? 😁
Early nomination for post of the year!

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio