Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 07-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Capt.dan

tuna rod question

I was looking at a local fishing store and saw a ugly stick that was pretty beefy. Its line rating was like 40lbs. would this be a good rod for a spinning reel for tuna? What do most people use for tuna rods when spin fishing for tuna. Thanks
Capt.dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
niko

i've got a couple of cms rods for spinning. very happy w/ both
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Capt.dan

what's cms?
Capt.dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I asked a similar question not long ago. A member who I trust on tuna do's and don't's suggested I go with a 50-80# rating on the rod for this year's class of fish. My three fish last year were 120-150#, so I am assuming they have put on some more weight since then.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
ruhroh

Heard the Ocean Tackle Tuna Snipers are making a name for themselves.
ruhroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
golden*

go heavier for sure. the trevala XXH rods are good

The Artist Formerly Known As Wannabe Beach Bum
golden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
big jay

I'll take a shot at this since I'm a bit of a tackle ho.

I just got an oti tuna sniper 8'6' 60-80lb rod. Lots a power and you can cast a country mile - I've only hooked 2 fish with it, and I busted off both, so I haven't seen it on an extended fight. That said, I'm totally confident.

Van Staal 7' Jigging rod - got 2 and I love them. Sweet spot is 2 oz and is the perfect rod for throwing 11" GotStrypers.

St Croix 7 or 7/12 20-40lb - throws anything, lots of power, great all around rod. One of the board lurkers has a cool video of himself putting the screws to a big fish with that rig. CapeCodKid is also selling one in the classifieds - good deal.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
SeaWolf

you really want at a minimum at 40-60# class rod for tuna over 100 pounds and ideally something in the 60-80# class is better for the tuna that are between 150 and 300 being caught today. after than, it become too hard to fight these fish on spinner gear and you need to start looking at a full harness and 50-80# class conventional reels.

the OTI's are nice, but expensive. throwing the tuna sniper at 8'6" all day is tiring, espeically after hooking a fish. the OTI's are 2 piece w/ the joint above the fore grip. i found them very top heavy. they make shorter ones, which i suggest. you will need to balance casting distance w/ fighting power. at some point you will be compensating somewhere.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote