Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Lip gripper?

Are they a must have item on a kayak? Which one? Any to stay away from? Boga is the cadillac, but was hoping for a more inexpensive but operable substitute.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I have the Berkley 12" model. I also have a lanyard on it and bungee it down to reduce noise when paddling. Anything and everything need to be secured down and have a leash IMO

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
SAXATILUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelecstasy
I have the Berkley 12" model. I also have a lanyard on it and bungee it down to reduce noise when paddling. Anything and everything need to be secured down and have a leash IMO
Thats exactly what I do. Boga is useless for me, cant lift the big ones up high enough to get a good weigh on em. Leashes are a must when your in the surf zone.
SAXATILUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
This is the one I have, under $30 and works very well. I didn't get the one with the tape because it just rust and breaks lol...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91061.jpg (5.8 KB, 24 views)

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
Don M
Official S-B Sponsor

Ross,
It seems that a lot of the kayak guys like the Rapalla wide mouth from the yak. NilsC feels it is easier and quicker to use than the others. They retail for around 40 buckaroos. Lock'n Grip lower right in picture.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i015492sn01.jpg (16.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Don M; 05-03-2006 at 04:04 PM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
toddonbi

I have both the Rapala and the Berkley and would give the nod to the Berkley. The Rapala made it half a season-maybe I bought a bad one? Also the Berkley fits nicely in one of the rod holders by the seat.

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
swanny

nightfighter - I think it really depends on how diligent you are with cleaning and how often you fish. If you fish more than a couple times a week and are not super diligent with rinsing and caring for the gripper than get the boga if you can swing the $$. I fish 5 or more days a week from the yak in the summer and have tried all the grippers mentioned. I have had my boga for 6 years now and it is as solid as the 1st day I bought it. I bought other cheaper grippers for friends to use when they take my other yaks but they barely made it through a season. Now granted I do get neglectful and occassionally forget to rinse etc. but if your in it for the long haul the boga is in a class by itself.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
Raven

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M
Ross,
It seems that a lot of the kayak guys like the Rapalla wide mouth from the yak. NilsC feels it is easier and quicker to use than the others. They retail for around 40 buckaroos. Lock'n Grip lower right in picture.

Hope this helps.
are you talking about the O handle type.?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

raven.
yes, the wide handled model on lower right is the one DonM showed me when he dropped off my new kayak. I have only used Boca grips in the past, but don't own one..... Leaning towards Berkley after shelling out for TWO yaks and extranious gear... Hell, I still have to meet with Beachwalker to pay and pick up the Heritage!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
NilsC
Kayak Fish with us.

I like the Rapala because to me it makes handling bluefish a lot easier and I don't have to pull it into the kayak to get the hooks out.

My problem with some of the other grips is to get it over the jaw and locked while maintaing balance and not loosing any gear. I have one grip with a scale but the it's not opening wide enough to lip large bass, the scale goes to 50lb but that doesn't help if I can't lip the fish.

Nils

King Cove Kayak Center
926 Stonington Rd (US Route 1)
Stonington, CT 06378
Phone (860) 599-4730
is hosting the third annual Kayak Fishing Rodeo

Nils
NilsC is offline   Reply With Quote