Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #181
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Poor planning by some slow reaction by others. I’m stuck working if I want to get paid under the guise of defense manufacturing which we do but not essential in my opinion. Boss is choosing money over our safety and the possibility of infecting others. If I was doing something to help the cause I’d be honored but we are not. Foolishness. I’ll give it a few days if the numbers grow I’m out of there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Just become a farmer. U my friend are very good at it and helping my household stay on an even keel through this. Thank you isn't enough
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #182
Clammer

PM don,t become a fisherman

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:44 AM   #183
Rmarsh

Yesterday I set up to finish a kichen install no one else on the job. Then a truck pulls up and two tile installers come in...within a few minutes i hear one of them sneezing and sniffling....and then see him grab a broom i had there. I was getting pissed off....and was ready to tell them so....
then another...obviosly uncovered sneeze. Thats when i decided to pack my tools and go.
I have plenty of work to do back at my shop...where i will be for the next week....alone.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #184
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

This is exploding. If we continue to practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it) we will be able to retard and mitigate the spread. New York, the most densely packed population in the US, currently has 2600 people in the Hospitals with Covid19. On growth of virus NY would be the third highest if just a country.

The amount of confirmed cases in the US jumped by 25% yesterday (much a result of improved testing)

This is not the normal flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Yesterday I set up to finish a kichen install no one else on the job. Then a truck pulls up and two tile installers come in...within a few minutes i hear one of them sneezing and sniffling....and then see him grab a broom i had there. I was getting pissed off....and was ready to tell them so....
then another...obviosly uncovered sneeze. Thats when i decided to pack my tools and go.
I have plenty of work to do back at my shop...where i will be for the next week....alone.

Good call.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #185
rphud
GrandBob

Sneezing and sniffling are not Covid-19 symptoms, but a good idea to leave those folks in dust anyways. Fever and dry cough only they say.

NYT has time/ramp up charts today. Looks like Spain is accelerating faster than Italy did. It will be interesting to see if US starts to taper off soon.

NYT site is available now for free with just an account set up. I was getting pretty tired of CNN lately.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #186
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphud View Post
Sneezing and sniffling are not Covid-19 symptoms, but a good idea to leave those folks in dust anyways. Fever and dry cough only they say.

NYT has time/ramp up charts today. Looks like Spain is accelerating faster than Italy did. It will be interesting to see if US starts to taper off soon.

NYT site is available now for free with just an account set up. I was getting pretty tired of CNN lately.
Taper off?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #187
Rmarsh

Your right ....not a symptom....but a way to infect others if they do have it.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #188
Jimbo

"...practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it)". Spot on, John! Those who aren't are uninformed or somehow think it won't affect them. We're in Central NJ, 50 miles or so from the epicenter and it boggles the mind. I do a lot of walking and see moms yapping and their kids on the playground equipment, at the local high school there were 4 half court pickup basketball games and groups of kids on the football field doing who knows what. The topper was Saturday when a neighbor organized a get out of the house gathering in the cul de sac we live on. 20 or so parents, kids and dogs hugging, shaking hands, close order not distancing...right at the end of my driveway.
I wish I could packup my wife and myself and the dogs and head up to my dad's on the Cape and distance myself by going clamming like some of you guys, but as soon as I leave NJ I don't have healthcare. A little too risky.
Like John said, practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it), and be smart.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #189
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Those that have it but aren’t symptomatic and just walking around like nothing is going on are selfish arrogant little turds.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #190
rphud
GrandBob

looking and hoping for that "inflection point" I suppose, sooner is preferred
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #191
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
"
I wish I could packup my wife and myself and the dogs and head up to my dad's on the Cape and distance myself by going clamming like some of you guys, but as soon as I leave NJ I don't have healthcare. A little too risky.
Like John said, practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it), and be smart.
Well many out of staters are doing just that, coming to the Cape to their second homes like an invasion and bringing their germs with them, so. Just stay home to yourselves Jim. You are better off

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #192
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'm not sure this is good information or mis-information but thought I would post it here.
CoronaVirus, how to avoid getting it. Some of this is new to me.

From a young researcher who had been transferred from Shenzhen to Wuhan to collaborate with the task force that is fighting the coronavirus epidemic, we receive and willingly transmit to all of this clear, simple and accessible information, which describe exactly what it is: the virus, how it transfers from one person to another and how it can be neutralized in everyday life.

Corona virus infection does not cause a cold with a dripping nose or catarrhal cough, but a dry and dry cough: this is the easiest thing to know.

The virus does not resist heat and dies if exposed to temperatures of 26-27 degrees {that's 78-80 in F}: therefore often consume hot drinks such as tea, herbal tea and broth during the day, or simply hot water: hot liquids neutralize the virus and it is not difficult to drink them. Avoid drinking ice water or eating ice cubes or snow for those in the mountains (children)!
For those who can do it, expose yourself to the sun!

1. The virus crown is quite large (diameter about 400-500 nanometers), therefore any type of mask can stop it: in normal life, special masks are not needed.
On the other hand, the situation is different for doctors and health professionals who are exposed to heavy virus loads and have to use special equipment.
If an infected person sneezes in front of you, three meters away they will drop the virus on the ground and prevent it from landing on you.

2. When the virus is found on metal surfaces, it survives for about 12 hours. So when you touch metal surfaces such as handles, doors, appliances, supports on trams, etc., wash your hands well and disinfect them carefully.

3. The virus can live nested in clothes and fabrics for about 6/12 hours: normal detergents can kill it. For clothes that cannot be washed every day, if you can expose them to the sun and the virus will die.

How it manifests itself:
1. The virus first installs itself in the throat, causing inflammation and a dry throat sensation: this symptom can last for 3/4 days.

2. the virus travels through the humidity present in the airways, descends into the trachea and installs in the lung, causing pneumonia. This step takes about 5/6 days.

3. Pneumonia occurs with high fever and difficulty breathing, it is not accompanied by the classic cold. But you may have the feeling of drowning. In this case, contact your doctor immediately.

How can you avoid it:
1. Virus transmission occurs mostly by direct contact, touching tissues or materials on which the virus is present: washing hands frequently is essential.
The virus only survives on your hands for about ten minutes, but in ten minutes many things can happen: rub your eyes or scratch your nose for example, and allow the virus to enter your throat ...
So, for your own good and for the good of others, wash your hands very often and disinfect them!

2. You can gargle with a disinfectant solution that eliminates or minimizes the amount of virus that could enter your throat: in doing so, you eliminate it before it goes down into the trachea and then into the lungs.

3. disinfect the PC keyboard and mobile phones
The new coronavirus NCP * may not show signs of infection for many days, * before which it cannot be known if a person is infected. But by the time you have a fever and / or cough and go to the hospital, your lungs are usually already in 50% fibrosis and it's too late!

Taiwanese experts suggest doing a simple check that we can do on our own every morning:
Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you successfully complete it without coughing, without discomfort, a sense of oppression, etc., this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating essentially no infection.
In such critical times, do this check every morning in a clean air environment!

These are serious and excellent advice from Japanese doctors who treat COVID-19 cases. Everyone should make sure that their mouth and throat are moist, never DRY. Drink a few sips of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even if the virus gets into your mouth ... water or other liquids will sweep it away through the esophagus and into the stomach. Once in the belly ... Gastric acid in the stomach will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly ... the virus can get into your lungs. It is very dangerous.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #193
zimmy

I will take the time to read the list, but one of the first things that stood out is that the internal body temp of humans is 20-30 deg. F higher than the temp it supposedly can't survive. Drinking warm beverages may raise your body temp briefly and slightly by a degree or two, but it is already well above those temps so that particularly advice seems very suspect
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #194
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I will take the time to read the list, but one of the first things that stood out is that the internal body temp of humans is 20-30 deg. F higher than the temp it supposedly can't survive. Drinking warm beverages may raise your body temp briefly and slightly by a degree or two, but it is already well above those temps so that particularly advice seems very suspect

Agree.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #195
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Sadly, it's fake news
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #196
RickBomba

Help your friends.
Wash your hands.
Stay the hell away from anyone over 70.

Seems pretty simple to me.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #197
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
That sounded confusing to me too but maybe they are referring to if the virus is in your throat and to keep your throat moist so it does not travel to your lungs??? I don’t know , and then the hot liquid can destroy it. As I understand it is very fragile outside the body yet it is extremely contagious and a virus’s only purpose is to reproduce itself. Or something like that. Maybe it is bull crap from China who knows

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #198
Nebe

I needed to go to Home Depot today for something. Man oh man. You wouldn’t believe how crowded that place was. And the roads are full of cars like nothing is going on... had I not known that there was a pandemic going on i would have had no idea
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #199
PaulS

I also went to Home Depot today and walked out because they had only 2 cash registers open and everybody in line was standing about three feet behind the person in front of them. I drove about 10 miles to a Lowe's and there were a lot fewer people in the store and they had more cash registers open. I did not get within 10 feet of anyone at Lowe's
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #200
Sea Dangles

Be careful guys,act like everybody is infected. A trip to the store should be made only for essentials.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #201
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Taper off?
He meant by Easter, Trump has dropped the gauntlet.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #202
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Poor planning by some slow reaction by others. I’m stuck working if I want to get paid under the guise of defense manufacturing which we do but not essential in my opinion. Boss is choosing money over our safety and the possibility of infecting others. If I was doing something to help the cause I’d be honored but we are not. Foolishness. I’ll give it a few days if the numbers grow I’m out of there.
Right with ya Paul, we make knees,hips and tibia bones, as well as trauma repair patches, no one is getting elective surgery .. all the big shots are home giving orders and crying about their bottom line..the could give a rat's XXX if any of us got sick..

Bruce..could not agree more...and we all are paying for it.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #203
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My son finally got a day off from his Boston ems medic duties and since he and his new bride were getting low on TP he decided to finally drive down to Plymouth to search for some and pick up the rods I refinished for him. Just strange, no hugs, no kisses, no hand shakes and since it was sunny and sort of warm, we stood ten feet apart to chit chat and catch up. He is thankful for the warmer weather, because they gown up each call and if it was winter weather, the gown won’t go over the heavy coats, so it’s not freezing on top of dangerous. One of his fellow workers has been tested positive and supplies are running low, I can’t wait for this peak to come and life can at least start to get back to normal.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #204
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He meant by Easter, Trump has dropped the gauntlet.
Oh Jeff, he is being hopeful.
Give it a rest. Your contributions used to have merit. Don’t become Bitchslappedboy or the little scared bunny.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #205
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Oh Jeff, he is being hopeful.
Give it a rest. Your contributions used to have merit. Don’t become Bitchslappedboy or the little scared bunny.
He’s not being hopeful he’s melting down. Now he’s talking mass suicides, Trump needs to step aside for the good of the country.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #206
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
My son finally got a day off from his Boston ems medic duties and since he and his new bride were getting low on TP he decided to finally drive down to Plymouth to search for some and pick up the rods I refinished for him. Just strange, no hugs, no kisses, no hand shakes and since it was sunny and sort of warm, we stood ten feet apart to chit chat and catch up. He is thankful for the warmer weather, because they gown up each call and if it was winter weather, the gown won’t go over the heavy coats, so it’s not freezing on top of dangerous. One of his fellow workers has been tested positive and supplies are running low, I can’t wait for this peak to come and life can at least start to get back to normal.

Good job!

Quote:
He’s not being hopeful he’s melting down. Now he’s talking mass suicides, Trump needs to step aside for the good of the country.
He is being his usual rambling self. And in bad economic times a lot of people across all income levels commit suicide for financial reasons / failure.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #207
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Right with ya Paul, we make knees,hips and tibia bones, as well as trauma repair patches, no one is getting elective surgery .. all the big shots are home giving orders and crying about their bottom line..the could give a rat's XXX if any of us got sick..

Bruce..could not agree more...and we all are paying for it.
No one and nothing will work if the health issues aren't fixed... His wishful thinking of an Easter All Clear is a long shot, IMO. As much as Trump will want to ramp up the economy, I think/hope/pray he defers to the scientific and medical experts he has been able to assemble. Sustaining the frontline health workers is the critical battle.

Who do you work for, Joe? I have a Zimmer Biomet knee.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #208
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Good thinking Jeff

Then Pence can simply hold the sign up and we will get better

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #209
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
He is being his usual rambling self. And in bad economic times a lot of people across all income levels commit suicide for financial reasons / failure.
This isn’t just rambling, it’s disturbed like he’s projecting his own despair.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #210
JFigliuolo

Quote:
This isn’t just rambling, it’s disturbed like he’s projecting his own despair.
Sadly, I agree with the trump haters. Trumps handling of this has been a disaster.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote