Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #61
Sea Dangles

The stable genius can rest comfortably knowing that all he needs to do in order to be re-elected is watch the opponents sabotage themselves. Easy
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #62
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Thanks for sharing this important opinion Chris.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #63
PaulS

Maybe if we all cover our ears and eyes it will magically disappear one day.

"White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney on Friday suggested that Americans should ignore media reports about the coronavirus amid fears of the deadly disease spreading into the U.S."
Old 02-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #64
Jim in CT

yawn. it’s a huge buying opportunity. and the severity of a drop is quantified as a percentage, not the number of points. and what matters is overall market performance, not the 5 worst days. you’re
Old 02-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

We are all set, the Stable Genius says so and he's sane.

You just have to listen to what he says, so here it is..........

This will end. This will end. You look at flu season. I said 26,000 people. I never heard of a number like that: 26,000 people, going up to 69,000 people, doctor, you told me before. 69,000 people die every year — from 20 to 69 — every year from the flu. Think of that. That’s incredible. So far, the results of all of this that everybody is reading about — and part of the thing is, you want to keep it the way it is, you don’t want to see panic, because there’s no reason to be panicked about it — but when I mentioned the flu, I asked the various doctors, “Is this just like flu?” Because people die from the flu. And this is very unusual. And it is a little bit different, but in some ways it’s easier and in some ways it’s a little bit tougher, but we have it so well under control, I mean, we really have done a very good job.

I don’t think it’s inevitable. It probably will. It possibly will. It could be at a very small level or it could be at a larger level. Whatever happens, we’re totally prepared. We have the best people in the world. You see that from the study. We have the best prepared people, the best people in the world. Congress is willing to give us much more than we’re even asking for. That’s nice for a change. But we are totally ready, willing, and able to — it’s a term that we use, it’s “ready, willing, and able.” It’s going to be very well under control. Now, it may get bigger. It may get a little bigger. It may not get bigger at all. We’ll see what happens. But regardless of what happens, we’re totally prepared.

On the markets

I think the financial markets are very upset when they look at the Democrat candidates standing on that stage make fools out of themselves, and they say, “If we ever have a president like this” — and there’s always a possibility, it’s an election, you know, who knows what happens? I think we’re going to win, I think we’re going to win by a lot — but when they look at statements made by the people standing behind those podiums, I think that has a huge effect.

Reporter: You don’t you think it had to do with the coronavirus?

Well, I think it did, I think it did, but I think you can add quite a bit of selloff to what they’re seeing. Because they’re seeing the potential – you know, again, I think we’re going to win. I feel very confident of it. We’ve done everything – and much more — than I said we were going to do. You look at what we’ve done. What we’ve done is incredible, with the tax cuts and regulation cuts, and rebuilding our military, taking care of our vets and getting them choice and accountability. All of the things we’ve done. Protecting our Second Amendment. I mean, they view that, the Second Amendment, they’re going to destroy the Second Amendment. When people look at that, they say “this is not good.” So you add that in. I really believe that’s a factor. But, no, what we’re talking about is the virus. That’s what we’re talking about. I do believe that’s — I do believe in terms of CNBC and in terms of Fox Business, I do believe that’s a factor, yeah. And I think after I win the election, I think the stock market is going to boom like it’s never boomed before. Just like the last time I won the election. The day after the stock market went up like a rocket ship.

On gutting the CDC

We can get money. And we can increase staff. We know all the good people. There’s a question I asked the doctors before. Some of the people we cut, they haven’t been used for many, many years. If we ever need them we can get them very quickly. And rather than spending the money — and I’m a business person — I don’t like having thousands of people around when you don’t need them. When we need them, we can get them back very quickly. For instance, we’re bringing some people in tomorrow that are already in this great government that we have, and very specifically for this. We can build up very, very quickly, and we’ve already done that. I mean, we have a great staff, and using Mike, I’m doing that because he’s in the administration, and he’s very good at doing what he does and doing as it relates to this.

On staying healthy

View this the same as the flu. When somebody sneezes, I mean, I try and bail out as much as possible when there’s sneezing. I had a man come up to me a week ago, I hadn’t seen him in a long time, and I said, “How you doing?” He said, “Fine, fine,” he hugged me, kissed me. I said, “Are you well?” He says “No.” He said, “I have the worst fever and the worst flu.” And he’s hugging and kissing me. So I said, excuse me, I went out and started washing my hands. So you have to do that. I really think, doctor, you want to treat this like you treat the flu, right?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #66
Jim in CT

if tiger woods shoots a 15 on a par 3 but still has the lowest overall score for the 4 rounds of the masters, does he get the green jacket or not?

judging the economy not by overall performance, but by ranking the highest point drops on the worst days...I’ve actually never heard anyone even try that tactic before. TDS has boldly taken us where no one has gone before.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #67
Sea Dangles

They need something Jim. Let them have it.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #68
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if tiger woods shoots a 15 on a par 3 but still has the lowest overall score for the 4 rounds of the masters, does he get the green jacket or not?

judging the economy not by overall performance, but by ranking the highest point drops on the worst days...I’ve actually never heard anyone even try that tactic before. TDS has boldly taken us where no one has gone before.
Trump is more like Charles Barkley if we are using a golf analogy
Old 02-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #69
spence

Quote:
yawn. it’s a huge buying opportunity. and the severity of a drop is quantified as a percentage, not the number of points. and what matters is overall market performance, not the 5 worst days. you’re
Just the other day you’re a judicial expert and today you’re Jim Kramer
Old 02-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump is more like Charles Barkley if we are using a golf analogy
your logic was pathetic GS, come
on. i hated obama personally, but he got the economy back on track. Trump took it to places no one envisioned. You can desperately deny that all you want, but That’s what happened.

Drops are buying opportunities, for the majority of people
who put money in from each paycheck. Drops are a good thing.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #71
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
They need something Jim. Let them have it.
i know, but even for those with TDS, that was funny.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Just the other day you’re a judicial expert and today you’re Jim Kramer
you don’t have to be an expert to know how wrong she was, you just need to be a tiny bit honest.

you tell me, spence. for the average guy who puts a few bucks into his 401k every two weeks for 40 years, are these dips a good thing or a bad thing? if you don’t need the money for several years, are these dips a good thing or a bad thing?

Answer - they are a good thing. Dollar cost averaging, which is how middle class people get into the stock market, delivers a better end result with dips, then it would with a straight-line upward path to the same endpoint.

Buy low, sell high. Is that going too fast for you?

i moved every cent of cash i don’t need, into equities today. it will
eventually work out great, especially if trump gets re elected.

You tell me where my math is off. i’m all ears. Please, tell me where i’m wrong. Be very specific, just this once, no baseless insults. Where is my logic off?

Can’t wait to see your response.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #73
wdmso

Quote:
you don’t have to be an expert to know how wrong she was, you just need to be a tiny bit honest.

you tell me, spence. for the average guy who puts a few bucks into his 401k every two weeks for 40 years, are these dips a good thing or a bad thing? if you don’t need the money for several years, are these dips a good thing or a bad thing?

Answer - they are a good thing. Dollar cost averaging, which is how middle class people get into the stock market, delivers a better end result with dips, then it would with a straight-line upward path to the same endpoint.

Buy low, sell high. Is that going too fast for you?

i moved every cent of cash i don’t need, into equities today. it will
eventually work out great, especially if trump gets re elected.

You tell me where my math is off. i’m all ears. Please, tell me where i’m wrong. Be very specific, just this once, no baseless insults. Where is my logic off?

Can’t wait to see your response.
But if you planned on retiring this year and you rode the Trump wave , and kept everything in hi risk , your ass is bleeding .. I am all in bonds happy with 5% return
And I still took a 1500 hit ... and another 3k I owe the Government so much for the tax break
Old 02-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
But if you planned on retiring this year and you rode the Trump wave , and kept everything in hi risk , your ass is bleeding .. I am all in bonds happy with 5% return
And I still took a 1500 hit ... and another 3k I owe the Government so much for the tax break
if you need the money this year and its in stocks, you took a hit because you were stupid. but you still
have a lot more cash than you had on his first day.

if you’re retiring this year and things are so tight that a 10 percent drop screws you, then obviously you don’t keep that money in stocks.

if you’re a few years out, and still contributing, these dips are a godsend. that is a mathematical fact, and no degree of Trump hatred can refute it.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-29-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Old 02-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
. and another 3k I owe the Government so much for the tax break
so it’s trumps fault that you choose to underpay throughout the year. Who filled out your W-4, you or Trump?

you don’t want to owe 3k, there’s an easy fix for that, pay 3k more during the year. you need someone to tell you that?
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #76
scottw

Quote:

think of it as an "investment"
Old 02-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
think of it as an "investment"
and if the person he votes for wins, he’s going to invest a lot more than that.

WDMSO, if you are motivated by not paying any more federal income tax than you have to, you might want to re-think some things. especially if it’s trump vs bernie.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-29-2020 at 07:07 AM..
Old 02-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #78
wdmso

Quote:
so it’s trumps fault that you choose to underpay throughout the year. Who filled out your W-4, you or Trump?

you don’t want to owe 3k, there’s an easy fix for that, pay 3k more during the year. you need someone to tell you that?
That's funny

I had the same withholding past 10 years, only under Trump have I owed so much ... while getting a tax cut?

Ps if deferred compensation retirement plan( mutual fund) and 401ks are base on the market as well clearly one has more risk than the other. But if your only looking at the 401k side of the house as you seem to do. You missing slot

Equity markets lost 3 trillion. And the s&p lost 3.5 trillion. This hits the avg Joe who just saw their gains from the last 5 to 6 years wiped clean in 2 days and their not day trading or own individual stocks owners. ,

Then you have Mulvaney's comments at Cpak coronavirus is a Hoax ,,,, I am sure that hasn't settled investors fears . Seeing there looking globally, not just domestically
Old 02-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #79
scottw

Quote:

Then you have Mulvaney's comments at Cpak coronavirus is a Hoax ,,,,
try being honest...he said it's the latest democrat "hoax"...their latest effort to politicize an issue, whip up anger toward trump to attack him and hurt him politically...coronavirus is obviously real but just as with collusion and kavanaugh and nathan phillips and on and on, democraps won't miss an opportunity to scream feigned outrage for political leverage....you guys do it here every day pretty much hourly...."never let a good crisis go to waste"
Old 02-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:

avgJoe who just saw their gains from the last 5 to 6 years wiped clean in 2 days ly
this is a joke, right? look it up, the dow is way, way up over the last 5-6 years. how much do you think the markets went down in the last two days, exactly? or even the last week? the market as of today, has done well for the past few years.

you just make it up as you go along?

on 1/1/17, the DJIA was at 19,865. at the close yesterday, it was over 25,400. that’s getting “wiped out” to you? what are you talking about?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-29-2020 at 08:09 AM..
Old 02-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #81
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
try being honest...he said it's the latest democrat "hoax"...their latest effort to politicize an issue, whip up anger toward trump to attack him and hurt him politically...coronavirus is obviously real but just as with collusion and kavanaugh and nathan phillips and on and on, democraps won't miss an opportunity to scream feigned outrage for political leverage....you guys do it here every day pretty much hourly...."never let a good crisis go to waste"
Consider who is using the term hoax and then the context, it’s completely inappropriate for the president to make this political. Look at how he continues to downplay the number of cases and the seriousness of the threat, even yesterday at a rally he claims there are only 15 cases and suggests spring right around the corner will magically make this go away. Every statement he makes is geared towards getting re-elected and under the circumstances its wrong, but it’s just Trump being Trump, always his interests come first.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
it’s completely inappropriate for the president to make this political. .
is it equally inappropriate for democrats to politicize it? i agree it’s disgusting when trump does it, just wondering how you feel about democrats doing it.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #83
scottw

Quote:
Consider who is using the term hoax and then the context, it’s completely inappropriate for the president to make this political. Look at how he continues to downplay the number of cases and the seriousness of the threat, even yesterday at a rally he claims there are only 15 cases and suggests spring right around the corner will magically make this go away. Every statement he makes is geared towards getting re-elected and under the circumstances its wrong, but it’s just Trump being Trump, always his interests come first.
this is an extremely warped view.....
Old 02-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #84
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
is it equally inappropriate for democrats to politicize it? i agree it’s disgusting when trump does it, just wondering how you feel about democrats doing it.
Big difference between Democrats complaining about cuts to the departments we now need most and the president, his messaging during this should be clear, truthful and devoid of politics. He contradicts his own scientific experts and that mixed message is not right.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #85
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Trumps statements at his latest rally demonstrate an extremely warped view.....
Fixed
Old 02-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
Big difference between Democrats complaining about cuts to the departments we now need most and the president, his messaging during this should be clear, truthful and devoid of politics. He contradicts his own scientific experts and that mixed message is not right.
he was called a bigot for banning travel from china. and if what was cut at CDC was waste,who cares.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #87
spence

Quote:
he was called a bigot for banning travel from china. and if what was cut at CDC was waste,who cares.
Who called him a bigot? As for the CDC do some homework Jim.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #88
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Who called him a bigot? As for the CDC do some homework Jim.
spence, i’ll tell you what. when
you answer my question ( are dips
in the stock market good
for the large number of people
who put money in every two weeks and who dont need that money soon), i’ll
answer your questions.

if the CDC laid off doctors in the “ prevent and treat large scale viruses” department, that’s bad. if the cuts mean that CDC employees have to fly to conferences in coach class instead of first class, that’s something else. i don’t know what was cut, and I’m willing to bet you don’t either, but that does t stop
you from concluding that the cuts put our lives in danger.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #89
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
It was only a matter of time before the mob would blame corona on Trump.

This is snowflake brilliance from the predominant alliance.
No one blames Trump for the coronavirus that's a scummy lie
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #90
detbuch

Quote:
spence, i’ll tell you what. when
you answer my question ( are dips
in the stock market good
for the large number of people
who put money in every two weeks and who dont need that money soon), i’ll
answer your questions.

if the CDC laid off doctors in the “ prevent and treat large scale viruses” department, that’s bad. if the cuts mean that CDC employees have to fly to conferences in coach class instead of first class, that’s something else. i don’t know what was cut, and I’m willing to bet you don’t either, but that does t stop
you from concluding that the cuts put our lives in danger.
Spence suggested doing homework on Trump cutting CDC budget. I am not a fan of the so-called fact checkers, but . . . Snopes doesn't seem to agree with Spence. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-cut-cdc-budget/