Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #151
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
This^
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I think less hanging one's hat on a potential vaccine and more planning for your family unit to emerge five months from now intact physically and fiscally. If it requires anything from quarantine to isolation, how prepared are you? How much cash on hand? Have you gotten the necessary paperwork done in the case you need to withdraw (early?) from a retirement account?

This is how my mind looks at this...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #152
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Just two weeks ago Italy was at 34 deaths...
So what the #^&#^&#^&#^& is your point Jeff? You looking forward to an escalation here in the US. Just go live your life. I posted this before and I will here again. It's what we were taught in combat training:

Don't worry about what you can't control. Just go and control what you can. CYA!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #153
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I think less hanging one's hat on a potential vaccine and more planning for your family unit to emerge five months from now intact physically and fiscally. If it requires anything from quarantine to isolation, how prepared are you? How much cash on hand? Have you gotten the necessary paperwork done in the case you need to withdraw (early?) from a retirement account?

This is how my mind looks at this...
I'm good on all fronts

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #154
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
So what the #^&#^&#^&#^& is your point Jeff? You looking forward to an escalation here in the US. Just go live your life. I posted this before and I will here again. It's what we were taught in combat training:

Don't worry about what you can't control. Just go and control what you can. CYA!!!
Looking forward to and expecting an escalation are two very different things...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #155
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I think people should really listen to their state officials and not downplay the threat. The WH is slowly catching up, huge change in tone since Friday.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #156
Sea Dangles

I am enjoying family times during this virus. The oldest boy is in lockdown out in Redwood CA. Tim is home from Manhattan for a while with a temporary office in the dining room. Emily is home with her college work being online and Mikey is in the basement doing his BC high work on zoom. Treasure the people you love.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #157
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

While there have been more than one occasion where Spence is tone deaf ; ) , I don't think he is looking forward to the increase, but he is right to expect it.

Quote:
I think people should really listen to their state officials and not downplay the threat. The WH is slowly catching up, huge change in tone since Friday.
Having been watching the videos since well before Friday, there has been a fairly steady tone. Depending on where you are watching it may show the difference in tone.

Three weeks ago they closed travel from China and a week ago Europe and he was too soon and racist for doing it or something.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #158
Headhunter

All I know is I now have an excuse to work on my gear for he next three weeks with out interruption. I just might be ready this year!!
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #159
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I am enjoying family times during this virus. The oldest boy is in lockdown out in Redwood CA. Tim is home from Manhattan for a while with a temporary office in the dining room. Emily is home with her college work being online and Mikey is in the basement doing his BC high work on zoom. Treasure the people you love.
Great post Chris......getting through lifes challenges as a family is what life is about i think
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #160
Rmarsh

Good news....My wife and i have been able to visit our moms in their respective nursing homes via facetime. Technology to the rescue....the vistor ban had me contemplating tapping on the first floor window of her room to get to see her.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:31 AM   #161
Rmarsh

The nursing home staff has been awesome, at first it was just a few nurses taking it upon themselves to use facetime so family members could see and talk to their loved ones. Now they have set up a system to make an appointment for a facetime chat so everyone can participate. It's sad that many of the patients do not understand why family is not visiting. Thank God for the people that care for our elders, especially now!
Old 03-18-2020, 05:46 AM   #162
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
My whole clan lives minutes away, we’re visiting via FaceTime... remarkable times

Bob, those care givers and nurses Rule... :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #163
Moses

My company decided early last week to stop all business related travel (us to customers, customers to us). I work in healthcare software so all our customers are healthcare organizations (hospitals, physician clinics, nursing homes, home care, etc..). We also made the decision to have all employees work remotely from their homes (just under 4k employees).

My oldest son is home from college (sophomore) and will be finishing this semester virtually from home.

My youngest son is off from school but expect there will be virtual plans announced soon.

My wife, teacher's aide, is also off from school until further word.

Last edited by Moses; 03-23-2020 at 07:28 PM..

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #164
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Wife working from home, and is crazy busy as Global travel mgr for a health insurance company. People are just plain stupid. Don't want to follow protocol for getting travel approvals. Or just this morning, she is getting calls from employees in an African nation who want out! And their line managers had pushed to keep them there. Without sounding like an awful human being, we do need some culling of the herd.... the ones who have to much stoopid in their dna
MIL is happy as long as we have somewhat recent Polish newspaper so she can better understand what is going on. My wife's Polish vocabulary is somewhat limited as she came to America at 13 years old, so not always easy to translate. And we are Slinging! Polish TV. But she is 85....
I am good, with the knee. Mobile. Trying to work but probably only at sites where people are in Florida or at a detached garage.
27 yo twins at their mother's house here in town. Son taking time, is very worked up about this whole thing. Daughter has made decision to stay here rather than return to her Miami base as a flight attendant. We will help her with bills and deal with the fallout, if that happens. At least here. she has a caretaker if necessary, and a house they can continue to provision. (Their mother came back from a Utah ski trip a couple days early when she and her husband finally realized the gravity of this pandemic. They have the stoopid gene too.) But both kids have had Lyme so I am happy both are here in town, where I can observe and at least make a difference, if not have them in my house.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #165
rphud
GrandBob

Everything is focused on pushing the spike down to a hump so hospitals are not overwhelmed. I think Italy showed us that. Interesting that the mortality rate in South Korea is way lower than Italy. Might be an age of population thing. Italy is the second oldest country. Second only to Japan.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #166
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphud View Post
Interesting that the mortality rate in South Korea is way lower than Italy. Might be an age of population thing.
Age is definitely huge a factor but I think the willingness to change behavior is significant.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #167
Pete F.
Canceled

There are some theories put forth in Science Magazine.

Thought to have a lot to do with prior experience with MERS, being very proactive, aggressively testing and tracking contacts.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...et-its-success

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #168
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
While there have been more than one occasion where Spence is tone deaf ; )
Just because you’re in the dark on some things don’t come down on me.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #169
JohnR

Quote:
Just because you’re in the dark on some things don’t come down on me.

I included the wink while I was defending you, using sarcasm as the vessel. Twas Tongue in Cheek.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #170
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Maybe we can't all just get along, we will see.

I borrowed this rant since it is a good one

In the last couple of decades we've had..
Swine flu
Bird flu
H1N1
SARS
Mersa
Ebola

To the hospital administrators who didn't even have enough PPE on hand for their staff to even last a week, F*ck you.
You cheaped it out and left front line people hanging with their ass in the breeze while no doubt scoping out the new model year BMW.
Now you are screaming that the feds should be supplying stuff you should have had on your own in abundance is horse #^&#^&#^&#^&.
I would not expect a hospital to have 50 extra ventilators sitting in storage , but freaking gloves , masks and gowns ?
That's on your dumb ass and no one else's.

To the Governors who were TV this morning crying about Uncle Sugar not moving fast enough (Mostly D's) F*ck you too.
Where the hell have you been?
The same a-holes who scream about the feds staying out of their business want to defer it all to the feds now.
What did you do to prepare for this sort of thing?
Two things from what I can see , both jack and #^&#^&#^&#^&.
I bet some sweet pork money that could have been spent making sure there were strategic supplies in place found it's way into your buddies pockets though , didn't it ?
You wanted that big chair only till things got tough and now it's defer , defer , defer.
The sad part is , they won't learn a damn thing from it and it will be the same thing next time and the time after that.

The biggest F-you goes to the media though.
The panic business is booming.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #171
zimmy

I guess everyone has a different definition of a good rant. It clearly shows a complete ignorance of how the medical field works, what the immediate needs are and the uniqueness of the situation. Every medical facility screwed up? I will leave the rest alone cause this isn't a political forum thread
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #172
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I guess everyone has a different definition of a good rant. It clearly shows a complete ignorance of how the medical field works, what the immediate needs are and the uniqueness of the situation. Every medical facility screwed up? I will leave the rest alone cause this isn't a political forum thread
Thanks, I was going to say the same thing. I’d mention that many if not most hospitals operate at a loss also.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #173
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
no it does not say every medical facility screwed up, I'm not sure where you read that from the criticism. It might be a little generalized but there are people out there who feel this way because they see it with their eyes.

pretty sure it was ranting about those in charge being only concerned with the dollar and keeping costs low and their own wallet. I am sure the pressure of insurance costs, the pressure of being sued causing excessive procedures to follow costing more and on and on. One point is to learn from the past and prepare for it to happen again. There just seems to be so many people with their hand out. It is about responsibility, and the need to be prepared for these things. There has to be a better way but right now we all need to work on problem solving because it seems to be getting worse and it's not just the medical field being overwhelmed or the restaurants losing business, but the media sure does put their 2 cents in to sensationalize that is for sure.
Hopefully we will be able to go fishing soon because the bass are showing up in the usual places.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #174
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
no it does not say every medical facility screwed up, I'm not sure where you read that from the criticism.
The shortage is affecting practically every medical facility.I didn't take it that your post said every facility, but it is almost every facility. It isn't limited to facilities where the management cheaped out. They are going through masks, gloves and gowns rapidly and can't get more. Pinning it on the administrators dumb as#$@ is total incendiary nonsense. It is incorrect and it reinforces whatever trash information is flowing in the streams of too many people. Seeing it with their own eyes? I bet my left thumb the person who wrote that isn't seeing it with their own eyes, They are speculating based on bs that they get from loudmouths who consider themselves outside the inflammatory media. That schtuff helps no one in no way.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #175
JohnR

The medical facilities (and just about everyone) got too comfortable in ordering in Just In Time and a never ending supply chain.

Someone I know with a small Med practice had a month's supply on hand - should be enough, no? It wasn't. First the panic and real overseas stopped anything from coming in (China took products from US manufactures made there) and panic here striped the shelves.

We need to do better. Fortunately stateside manufacturers are ramping up.

We - All Of Us - Need to do a better job of being kind and understanding with each other. And stay the ()@*#$ indoors.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #176
wdmso

Thought this was spot on

The majority of people providing food service , gas , trashpick up , take out are in large the min wage wage workers who in this crisis are taking care of the people who dont think they deserve 15. Bucks an hour ,, ironic

But medical staff or 1st responder are not seeing no such bonus. Not sure why
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #177
chris L

I am still working until I am not . From What I am told I am in for the duration . Salary sucks in times like this but I am working .

I wash myself regurlarly .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #178
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Poor planning by some slow reaction by others. I’m stuck working if I want to get paid under the guise of defense manufacturing which we do but not essential in my opinion. Boss is choosing money over our safety and the possibility of infecting others. If I was doing something to help the cause I’d be honored but we are not. Foolishness. I’ll give it a few days if the numbers grow I’m out of there.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #179
Sea Dangles

Be safe Paul
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #180
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Poor planning by some slow reaction by others. I’m stuck working if I want to get paid under the guise of defense manufacturing which we do but not essential in my opinion. Boss is choosing money over our safety and the possibility of infecting others. If I was doing something to help the cause I’d be honored but we are not. Foolishness. I’ll give it a few days if the numbers grow I’m out of there.
Stay home ! Build plugs and be healthy.... word
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote