Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim, SHE DID NOT...

Lift a finger and actually read a full article.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
take your tampons out of
your ears, and put them
where they are supposed to go.

https://therealside.com/2020/03/what...with-abortion/
Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
It isn't true. Stop repeating things that aren't true. Maybe Joy Reid is an idiot. It is simple to find out what the connection to abortion was and how it was addressed. I didn't know who she is, but here is her tweet that connected her to the issue

"Wow... @kasie just reported that Republicans' objections to the House Democrats' emergency coronavirus bill include issues related to abortion. What does that have to do with COVID19...?"
I find nothing else about her "swearing it is true" or "calling out democrats" unless it is a fox news or other rw nutter analysis of what that tweet means. Pelosi never included funding for abortion. It was Republican concern over lack of specificity about the Hyde amendment in the bill. They worked it out. It is a lie or spreading of incorrect information to say Pelosi included abortion funding. Stop spreading lies. Heading back under my rock now.
It was in the Fox News headline and then contradicted in the actual story...like most of Jim’s sources.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
It isn't true. Stop repeating things that aren't true. Maybe Joy Reid is an idiot. It is simple to find out what the connection to abortion was and how it was addressed. I didn't know who she is, but here is her tweet that connected her to the issue

"Wow... @kasie just reported that Republicans' objections to the House Democrats' emergency coronavirus bill include issues related to abortion. What does that have to do with COVID19...?"
I find nothing else about her "swearing it is true" or "calling out democrats" unless it is a fox news or other rw nutter analysis of what that tweet means. Pelosi never included funding for abortion. It was Republican concern over lack of specificity about the Hyde amendment in the bill. They worked it out. It is a lie or spreading of incorrect information to say Pelosi included abortion funding. Stop spreading lies. Heading back under my rock now.
reid asked (democrats) what abortion had to do with this relief bill. she therefore assumed, that the bull included something related to abortion. i’m guessing she doesn’t rely on sean hannity for her information, but somehow she came
to the conclusion that something related to
abortion was in the bill.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this can't be true...this could never happen in a country with socialized medicine...
And more hospital beds per capita than the USA...........

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And more hospital beds per capita than the USA...........
Actually one of the best health care systems in the world.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #36
scottw

this is from an article she wrote in favor of single payer for the US March 2019

"The Italian healthcare landscape includes crumbling hospitals, doctors trained on books rather than patients, and per capita spending one-third that of the United States. And Americans like to say their medical care is the best in the world, while Italians consider their National Health Service to be hopelessly dysfunctional. (In 2000 the World Health Organization ranked the Italian system second-best on the planet. But that stellar rating was based solely on equality of access on the one hand and health outcomes such as life expectancy on the other, ignoring any on-the-ground realities in between: waiting times, emergency room efficiency, surgical statistics, etc.)"

Susan Levenstein is an American doctor who has been practicing in Italy for the past 40 years..

if you get sick would you rather be in Italy or here? be honest
Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #37
Sea Dangles

Quote:
In Spain and Italy doctors are choosing who gets respirators or sedatives.
Who will you blame the death panels on here?
Not the one who takes no responsibility at all, I’m sure.
Who is Spain and Italy blaming Bitchslappedboy? Perhaps they don’t play the blame game like the spoiled brats in this country.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #38
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Actually one of the best health care systems in the world.
The mortality numbers do not reflect your claims in this instance Jeff. Italy is hovering around 8% unfortunately while the US is steadily declining at 1.4

Let’s hope this trend continues and let that be the indicator on who has the best health care. If Bitchslappedboy is correct and Italy also has more beds per capita, then it is truly a credit to our response and preparedness. Even at 1.5 the number of deaths will be staggering.🤒

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Dingleberry,
The Italian governments consist of adults who do not need to blame others and are willing to accept the responsibility that goes with their positions and do their jobs without needing daily leader praise sessions. They went thru that with Mussolini years ago.
Percentages are impossible to quantify till you know how many people are affected.
The Italian healthcare system is overwhelmed by the coronavirus.
If we are not, it will not be because this administration was proactive.
On Jan. 30, the Italian Government blocked all flights in and out of China.
Trump* announced it on Jan. 31, effective Feb. 2

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #40
Sea Dangles

Bitchslappedboy, I sense you are overwhelmed but let me help you.
The mortality percentage is simple to quantify unless you are simple minded.
If Italy is generally known as being two weeks ahead of us then let’s hope the quick response by Trump saves lives. Thank god Biden isn't in office or planes from China would still be incoming.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The mortality numbers do not reflect your claims in this instance Jeff. Italy is hovering around 8% unfortunately while the US is steadily declining at 1.4
Comparing these two numbers right now makes no sense given the differences in timing and number of variables. It’s actually pretty stupid, shortsighted and thankfully you don’t really influence things otherwise also dangerous. I’m sure Trump will cite it soon.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #42
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The testing isn’t where it needs to be so to predict where this is heading and what the real infection and death rates are or will be is a best guess. In a couple weeks we might have a better handle on it, but I seriously doubt we will all be given the green light to carry on.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #43
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Comparing these two numbers right now makes no sense given the differences in timing and number of variables. It’s actually pretty stupid, shortsighted and thankfully you don’t really influence things otherwise also dangerous. I’m sure Trump will cite it soon.
Based on Bitchslappedboy’s response this was simply the easiest way to roll out pertinent information. Given the rate in SouthKorea an optimistic outlook could keep these numbers in range. This is why I mentioned the timing of two weeks. Perhaps you haven’t paid attention to the numbers globally in your relentless pursuit of Trump. Stay safe guys.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #44
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
The testing isn’t where it needs to be so to predict where this is heading and what the real infection and death rates are or will be is a best guess. In a couple weeks we might have a better handle on it, but I seriously doubt we will all be given the green light to carry on.
That is why I didn’t offer a prediction. Jeff didn’t understand this point,glad you do!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Bitchslappedboy, I sense you are overwhelmed but let me help you.
The mortality percentage is simple to quantify unless you are simple minded.
If Italy is generally known as being two weeks ahead of us then let’s hope the quick response by Trump saves lives. Thank god Biden isn't in office or planes from China would still be incoming.
Just what did Trump do?
List the actions

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #46
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Clean bills.

Single subject.

Page limit.

Rat a tat tat.

Mega bills are always opportunities for lobbyists and ideologues on both sides to play #^&#^&#^&#^&around.
I almost never post here but look in daily for the spectacle of spy vs spy like stuff. I don't share his side of fence but this post by PeteF may be the best post i've ever read here.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 03-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #47
PaulS

So the Repubs. brought the bill up for a vote and they knew they didn't have the votes for it to pass and then blamed the Dems.?

Politics as usual.

Word is they are close to agreement. I can't forget that not one Repub. voted for the Obama bailout.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
I almost never post here but look in daily for the spectacle of spy vs spy like stuff. I don't share his side of fence but this post by PeteF may be the best post i've ever read here.
it's one of his shortest posts so in that respect a spectacular achievement
Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #49
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So the Repubs. brought the bill up for a vote and they knew they didn't have the votes for it to pass and then blamed the Dems.?

Politics as usual.

Word is they are close to agreement. I can't forget that not one Repub. voted for the Obama bailout.
Pigheaded grudges don’t help the sick. Let it go and take a bubble bath.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #50
PaulS

Quote:
Pigheaded grudges don’t help the sick. Let it go and take a bubble bath.
I know that you aren't that smart but who said anything about grudges? It is point out the hypocrisy.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #51
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I know that you aren't that smart but who said anything about grudges?
If you can’t forget about Republicans voting on Obama what would you call it? Asking for a friend

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
. I can't forget that not one Repub. voted for the Obama bailout.
a bill which turned out to be a flop. even obama joked that it didn’t work.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #53
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
History clearly has a different view. I fear that the stimulus probably did far less than the Democrats in Washington would like to believe. But I also think it borders on absurd to say that it did nothing.

AS always the truth ls some where in the middle

Last edited by wdmso; 03-24-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
History clearly has a different view
of his stimulus? please elaborate?

the bailout worked, as did other things. but his signature stimulus package, didn’t do much.

maybe clear to those who can’t be critical of their side. but while i give obama good marks on handling the economy in general, that one program was a flop.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #55
PaulS

Quote:
saved the auto industry - didn't it?

Then why didn't the Repubs. make some substantive suggestions?

And you're still worried about a joke Obama made 10 years ago. - Post up what he said bc it wasn't that it didn't work.

How Well It Succeeded

In a 2009 report, the CBO projected ARRA would stimulate gross domestic product by 1.4% to 3.8% for the fourth quarter in 2009.[7] The stimulus was successful in 2009 GDP. The economy grew 1.7% in the third quarter and 3.8% in the fourth quarter. That's a big improvement over the first quarter's 6.7% drop and the second quarter's 0.7% decline.[8]

In 2009, the CBO predicted that ARRA would increase employment by 7 million full-time jobs by the end of 2012.[9] By 2010, the CBO said that ARRA's policies increased the number of full-time-equivalent jobs by 2 million to 4.8 million.[10
Old 03-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
saved the auto industry - didn't it?

Then why didn't the Repubs. make some substantive suggestions?

And you're still worried about a joke Obama made 10 years ago. - Post up what he said bc it wasn't that it didn't work.

How Well It Succeeded

In a 2009 report, the CBO projected ARRA would stimulate gross domestic product by 1.4% to 3.8% for the fourth quarter in 2009.[7] The stimulus was successful in 2009 GDP. The economy grew 1.7% in the third quarter and 3.8% in the fourth quarter. That's a big improvement over the first quarter's 6.7% drop and the second quarter's 0.7% decline.[8]

In 2009, the CBO predicted that ARRA would increase employment by 7 million full-time jobs by the end of 2012.[9] By 2010, the CBO said that ARRA's policies increased the number of full-time-equivalent jobs by 2 million to 4.8 million.[10
the earlier bailouts saved the auto industry.

obama promised his stimulus would
keep unemployment below 8% (maybe he promised it would stay below 6%, can’t remember?). . after it passed, unemployment went over 10%.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #57
wdmso

Quote:

keep unemployment below 8% (maybe he promised it would stay below 6%, can’t remember?). . after it passed, unemployment went over 10%.

the stimulus probably did far less than the Democrats in Washington would like to believe. But I also think it borders on absurd to say that it did nothing.

can see this repeating with this package when passed
Old 03-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #58
PaulS

Quote:

So it looks like you agree it wasn't large enough. The Dems. kept lowering the $ at the suggestions (demands?) of the Repubs. and then the Repubs didn't vote for it.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
So it looks like you agree it wasn't large enough. The Dems. kept lowering the $ at the suggestions (demands?) of the Repubs. and then the Repubs didn't vote for it.
nooo, I said it didn't work as it was promised it would. Unlike liberals such as yourself, I don't assume that spending more money always makes things better.

Obama did other things that worked well. I've said 100 times I think Obama gets good grades on handling the economy. I think the recovery act was a flop, I think the empirical results, compared to promises, make that clear. More importantly is that overall he helped guide us way, way back from a horrible recession.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
How did the GOP have the clout to demand anything then? The dems controlled the white house, the house, and the senate.