Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #121
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

GS, trumps bold early move isn’t the point at all. the point was the liberal reaction to it. liberals went nuts, saying he over reacted. now the same people are saying he didn’t do enough.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
they are a little slow...you have to spell things out s-l-o-w-l-y for them...they like to have it both ways
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #122
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
look beyond and see what the results of pour decisions, lack of timely decisions and pour messaging.
pour spelling
Old 03-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #123
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

You two knuckleheads are both wrong, one move followed by no decisions, pour decisions and terrible messaging is going to harm more, kill more and take far longer to recover from, but focus on spelling to show us all your priorities are on what’s really important in these times, pretty sad actually.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #124
scottw

Quote:
You two knuckleheads are both wrong, one move followed by no decisions, pour decisions and terrible messaging is going to harm more, kill more and take far longer to recover from, but focus on spelling to show us all your priorities are on what’s really important in these times, pretty sad actually.
your whining is really moving mountains
Old 03-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #125
detbuch

Quote:
Your beating that one good Trump move to death, look beyond and see what the results of pour decisions, lack of timely decisions and pour messaging.

Dr. weighs in ... we can do much better ...

Please don't tell me that in the richest country in the world in the 21st century, I'm supposed to work in a fictionalized Soviet-era disaster zone and fashion my own face mask out of cloth because other Americans hoard supplies for personal use and so-called leaders sit around in meetings hearing themselves talk. I ran to a bedside the other day to intubate a crashing, likely COVID, patient. Two respiratory therapists and two nurses were already at the bedside. That's 5 N95s masks, 5 gowns, 5 face shields and 10 gloves for one patient at one time. I saw probably 15-20 patients that shift, if we are going to start rationing supplies, what percentage should I wear precautions for?

Make no mistake, the CDC is loosening these guidelines because our country is not prepared. Loosening guidelines increases healthcare workers' risk but the decision is done to allow us to keep working, not to keep us safe. It is done for the public benefit - so I can continue to work no matter the personal cost to me or my family (and my healthcare family).

Sending healthcare workers to the front line asking them to cover their face with a bandana is akin to sending a soldier to the front line in a t-shirt and flip flops.

I don't want talk. I don't want assurances. I want action. I want boxes of N95s piling up, donated from the people who hoarded them. I want non-clinical administrators in the hospital lining up in the ER asking if they can stock shelves to make sure that when I need to rush into a room, the drawer of PPE equipment I open isn't empty. I want them showing up in the ER asking "how can I help" instead of offering shallow "plans" conceived by someone who has spent far too long in an ivory tower and not long enough in the trenches. Maybe they should actually step foot in the trenches.

I want billion-dollar companies like 3M halting all production of any product that isn't PPE to focus on PPE manufacturing. I want a company like Amazon, with its logistics mastery (it can drop a package to your door less than 24 hours after ordering it), halting its 2-day delivery of 12 reams of toilet paper to whoever is willing to pay the most in order to help get the available PPE supply distributed fast and efficiently in a manner that gets the necessary materials to my brothers and sisters in arms who need them.

I want Proctor and Gamble, and the makers of other soaps and detergents, stepping up too. We need detergent to clean scrubs, hospital linens and gowns. We need disinfecting wipes to clean desk and computer surfaces. What about plastics manufacturers? Plastic gowns aren't some high-tech device, they are long shirts/smocks...made out of plastic. Get on it. Face shields are just clear plastic. Nitrile gloves? Yeah, they are pretty much just gloves...made from something that isn't apparently Latex. Let's go. Money talks in this country. Executive millionaires, why don't you spend a few bucks to buy back some of these masks from the hoarders, and drop them off at the nearest hospital.

I love biotechnology and research but we need to divert viral culture media for COVID testing and research. We need biotechnology manufacturing ready and able to ramp up if and when treatments or vaccines are developed. Our Botox supply isn't critical, but our antibiotic supply is. We need to be able to make more plastic ET tubes, not more silicon breast implants.

Let's see all that. Then we can all talk about how we played our part in this fight. Netflix and chill is not enough while my family, friends and colleagues are out there fighting. Our country won two world wars because the entire country mobilized. We out-produced and we out-manufactured while our soldiers out-fought the enemy. We need to do that again because make no mistake, we are at war, healthcare workers are your soldiers, and the war has just begun.
Let us not overlook that much of our medical supply production was transferred to China during the past decades. Had we been the producer rather than just the buyer, ramping up would have been much easier.

Same goes for a lot of other critical essential tech stuff, as needed e.g. by our military. Really brilliant decision by our past administrations to, of all countries, depend on China. Trump is the only President, since the rise of that fiasco, to make an effort to bring production, critical and otherwise, back home.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #126
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I love pointing out how irrelevant you are, gee wiz I hoped a spelled that right or wright.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #127
scottw

Quote:
I love pointing out how irrelevant you are, gee wiz I hoped a spelled that right or wright.
don't worry ...you are fabulous
Old 03-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #128
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
His priorities are moving mountains. He chooses to whine constantly rather than ridicule whiners.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #129
Jim in CT

Quote:
not one syllable, not one, about the democrats and the media which said his one move was a racist over reaction. none of that matters to you.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #130
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
not one syllable, not one, about the democrats and the media which said his one move was a racist over reaction. none of that matters to you.
You do know why, because they aren’t in control of this administration and the ones failing miserably and I don’t fu*king care. Everyone’s life is turned upside down, hospitals running out of supplies, death tolls will approach world war totals and your stuck on one Fuc*king thing, get your fu*cking head out of your ar*ss.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 03-29-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #131
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Because it is a lie, as is Trump*'s claim of what he has done.

We've gone from only 15 people have it and it will soon be zero to 160,000 to 200,000 will perish. Meanwhile, he tweets about his ratings.

The claim "I stopped it" by stopping flights and the accompanying lies about complaints about that are fake news at best. I'm only slightly surprised that John Baron has yet to make an appearance, though I think there is a possibility he lives in CT.

This is only based on publicly available information, the intelligence that was provided to the President and is being concealed by the administration will tell a much more damning story.

January 3, 2020: The CDC is first alerted to a public health event in Wuhan, China (This fact was revealed publicly later by HHS Secretary Alex Azar.)

January 6, 2020: The CDC issues a travel notice for Wuhan due to the spreading coronavirus.

Note: The Trump campaign claims that this marks the beginning of the federal government disease control experts becoming aware of the virus. It was 10 weeks from this point until the week of March 16 when Trump began to change his tone on the threat.

January 8, 2020: The CDC issues an official health advisory about COVID-19.

January 10, 2020: Former Trump Homeland Security Advisor Tom Bossert warns that we shouldn’t “jerk around with ego politics” because “we face a global health threat…Coordinate!”

January 18, 2020: After two weeks of attempts, HHS Secretary Alex Azar finally gets the chance to speak to Trump about the virus. The president redirects the conversation to vaping, according to the Washington Post.

January 20, 2020: First U.S. case is reported in Washington state.

January 21, 2020: Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease at the CDC tells reporters, “We do expect additional cases in the United States.”

January 27, 2020: Top White House aides meet with Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney to encourage greater focus on the threat from the virus. Joe Grogan, head of the White House Domestic Policy Council warns that “dealing with the virus was likely to dominate life in the United States for many months.”

January 28, 2020: Two former Trump administration officials—Gottlieb and Borio—publish an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal imploring the president to “Act Now to Prevent an American Epidemic.” They advocate a 4-point plan to address the coming crisis:

(1) Expand testing to identify and isolate cases.
Note: This did not happen for many weeks. The first time more than 2,000 tests were deployed in a single day was not until almost six weeks later, on March 11.
(2) Boost flu vaccination efforts to reduce the load on hospitals.
(3) Prepare hospital units for isolation with more gowns and masks.
Note: There was no dramatic ramp-up in the production of critical supplies undertaken. As a result, many hospitals quickly experienced shortages of critical PPE materials.
(4) Vaccine development.

January 30, 2020: Dr. James Hamblin publishes another warning about critical PPE materials in the Atlantic, titled “We Don’t Have Enough Masks.” At the time, it was clear that mask shortages would be a serious problem. Other countries coping with COVID-19 were already running short on masks and ordering them from America and, in addition, almost the entire CDC stockpile had been consumed during the 2009 flu season.

January 31, 2020: Trump puts into action a temporary travel ban on China.

This has been the centerpiece of his claim to have responded to the coronavirus. But even here, the truth is somewhat different.

Trump’s Chinese travel ban only banned “foreign nationals who had been in China in the last 14 days.” This wording did not—at all—stop people from arriving in America from China. In fact, for much of the crisis, flights from China landed in America almost daily filled with people who had been in China, but did not fit the category as Trump’s “travel ban” defined it.

Last edited by Pete F.; 03-29-2020 at 05:52 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #132
wdmso

Quote:

Sorry, can’t have it both ways.
You and others clearly want both ways ... you blame others while praising Trump

Actions but willfully ignore his inactions
Old 03-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #133
scottw

Quote:
You do know why, because they aren’t in control of this administration and the ones failing miserably and I don’t fu*king care. Everyone’s life is turned upside down, hospitals running out of supplies, death tolls will approach world war totals and your stuck on one Fuc*king thing, get your fu*cking head out of your ar*ss.
Temper. Temper. Try to take a deep breath and remember where you are
Old 03-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #134
Jim in CT

Quote:
and I don’t fu*king care. Everyone’s life is turned upside down, hospitals running out of supplies, death tolls will approach world war totals and your stuck on one Fuc*king thing, get your fu*cking head out of your ar*ss.
I'm not stuck on anything. But when TDS sufferers such as yourself shriek that he's not doing anything, obviously it's pertinent to point out that when he took a bold step, those same liberals shrieked that he went too far. So whish is it? is he using racism and fear to do too much, or is he not doing enough? Let me guess, it's both...

Whatever he does, whatever he does, those with TDS will shriek that it's wrong and evil. They do it for purely political reasons.

The federal government and the private sector are doing everything possible to help. I believe that.

Did you say anything when the democrats held up the relief bill to fund liberal pet projects? If you did, I missed it. Therefore, your willingness to hold politicians accountable for the harm they cause, is quite selective.

Stop ranting about Trump, go donate blood.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #135
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
You and others clearly want both ways ... you blame others while praising Trump

Actions but willfully ignore his inactions
I blame Trump when he deserves blame. I hate the way he attacks reporters at the briefings (though one deserved it in my opinion). Not every time I see him or hear him.

Again, let's see who thinks for themselves, and who blindly follows one side, shall we?

I agree with liberals on some big social issues - gay marriage, death penalty, gun control, availability of health insurance.. Can you tell us here and now, what are the biggest issues on which you disagree with liberals?

I also have said a thousand times, that Trump is morally bankrupt. Can you admit that there is just as much evidence that Biden abuses women, as there is that Kavanaugh abused women? Can you concede that?

Stop dodging and answer a question.

You're saying that anytime someone credits Trump and blames someone else, they are a hypocrite? It's never possible that Trump deserves credit and someone else deserves blame? In your opinion, Trump must always be wrong.

You are proving my point.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #136
Sea Dangles

Quote:
A frightened cry for help.
🐰

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #137
scottw

it's pretty funny that when those of us who are supposedly programmed by fox news and breitbart want to know what's going on at fox news and breitbart, we have to check with wayne
Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #138
scottw

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
A frightened cry for help.
🐰

he's psyching himself up for kayak fishing this morning and 9 holes this afternoon....
Old 03-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #139
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Let us not overlook that much of our medical supply production was transferred to China during the past decades. Had we been the producer rather than just the buyer, ramping up would have been much easier.

Same goes for a lot of other critical essential tech stuff, as needed e.g. by our military. Really brilliant decision by our past administrations to, of all countries, depend on China. Trump is the only President, since the rise of that fiasco, to make an effort to bring production, critical and otherwise, back home.
I’m not disagreeing with those points, far to many companies have taken their business elsewhere, my point is this started elsewhere and models from others predicted what would happen in every country this came to and this administration did not gear up quickly or make hard decisions and put out the correct messaging to slow this spread or get the medical supplies manufactured early enough. It doesn’t just fall on Trumps head, but his leadership and downplaying of this has really been terrible. Everyone on this board is entitled to their opinion on how this has been handled, you don’t have to like mine view, feel free to disagree in a respectful and civil way if your capable wink wink.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #140
Pete F.
Canceled

The most cynical thing Trump* did yesterday was move the goal posts on his performance. He now says millions would have died if not for his heroic effort.That's to cover for hundreds of thousands dying.

Remember his inaction got us here and he claimed in public that a miracle would solve it, while in private his administration was telling him otherwise.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #141
Sea Dangles

He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime
Old 03-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #142
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime
You have an odd measure of greatness.

Trump* received astonishingly prescient strategic & even tactical intelligence warnings about COVID-19. He then utterly failed to act.

Only Trump* himself refused to believe what the previous administration had & his intelligence reports warned him about.

Faced with the coronavirus, Trump chose not to have the White House lead the planning until nearly two months after it began.

Trump* has relentlessly lied about COVID-19: its spread, its danger, & US readiness.

If Trump* had been left alone to use his natural intelligence, we would be at that worst case scenario — “1.6 million to 2.2 million” dead, according to Dr Birx. The reality is that 100,000 to 200,000 dead may be the best we can do at this point after months of Trump*'s lies, inaction and avoiding responsibility.

Those deaths will be what we pay for Trump*’s utter incompetence and willful blindness.

And he’s going to get much, much worse as this crisis gets worse.

God help us.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #143
detbuch

Quote:
I’m not disagreeing with those points, far to many companies have taken their business elsewhere, my point is this started elsewhere and models from others predicted what would happen in every country this came to and this administration did not gear up quickly or make hard decisions and put out the correct messaging to slow this spread or get the medical supplies manufactured early enough. It doesn’t just fall on Trumps head, but his leadership and downplaying of this has really been terrible. Everyone on this board is entitled to their opinion on how this has been handled, you don’t have to like mine view, feel free to disagree in a respectful and civil way if your capable wink wink.
I know that I'm kinda, a little bit, "different," but I don't think I'm an apple that fell too far from the human tree. Essentially, basically, I react and think like most regular, normal, people. But I never got this supposed "message" from Trump's rhetoric that everything was absolutely fine, that we had nothing to worry about. He seemed to be trying to dampen over reaction rather than just reassuring us, and not that we should disregard the warnings we were constantly getting from media, from experts including those on his team, from modelers, from Democrats and anti-Trumpers. There was plenty of "disaster" messaging, and we were all hearing it. We were not uninformed. But many also have a "me and mine above all else" attitude, and have no compunction about emptying store shelves to selfishly horde for themselves--and those who heard only the "disaster" message" did just that. The message needed some moderation in order to avoid panic.

As far as mixed messages, the Dems, as has been constantly reiterated here, first accused Trump of over-reacting, then under-reacting.

Possibly, probably, I'm used to how Trump speaks, so I don't literally take every word. I also know that his opponents, including media, will deliberately shade his messaging or totally distort it to mean various degrees of unacceptable--from stupid to destructive, anti-American. I strongly suspect that those who don't like him, really do like these distortions whether they actually believe them or not. They stand by them no matter how well they're debunked.

As far as gearing up too slowly, as I keep hearing from those who don't like him--I have said, from the time he became the nominee, that Trump surrounds himself with "experts" re whatever he wants to accomplish. He states what he wants to be done, then relies on them to do it. There was a whole system in place when he took office. It was, as federal bureaucracies are geared, in place to deal with pandemic emergencies and had the responsibility to be prepared, stocked, and ready to go when a crisis arose. It was not. Perhaps it wasn't possible to be ready for COVID-19.

So a team, a "system," had to be created to deal with it. Takes a bit of time to do that. The team seems to be doing a good job. I don't have the expertise to say they aren't. Some here think they do.

The whole world seems to be bungling as well as possible through this. I don't think we're the worst. Not nearly, if at all.

In the meantime, the real culprit seems to be getting a pass. The Chinese Communist Party is the direct villain here, not Trump, or the current Dems or Repubs, or other world leaders. If we have any fault, it is our noble but unrealistic attempt to bring Communist China into our family of trading partners, thinking the CCP would reform and become a capitalist free market form of government. And our government administrations were too happy (in order to finance their own power ambitions) to overtax and overregulate businesses and corporations to the point that it became economically better for them to far more cheaply produce in this new "partner." And we were so ignorantly proud to contribute to, even become unsustainably indebted to, this shining new experiment that would peaceably bring this most oppressive regime into a new world order of benevolent nations.

And we were so mesmerized by how well this experiment was working, how far and quickly China progressed into becoming, from a backward bastion of human oppression, a glittering economic power ready to assume the mantle of THE dominant power which would show us the way to more economically, equitably, stabilize the desired new world order with a Progressive, top down governmentally controlled system.

We were not to fear, but to admire and appreciate Communist China for showing us that our own inequitable capitalistic system was outmoded (and as well, quietly, was our government strangling Constitution).

So now, we are "woked" into this new world where, rather than producing our own essentials, masters of our own fate, we are not only indebted to, but depended on the CCP to coordinate the production of so much of our medical and military needs as well as much of the tech that glues our culture and society together.

The CCP is the criminal who didn't react quickly enough. It is the criminal that willingly let the virus spread worldwide and lie about it in order to protect itself from the wrath of its own people as well as that of the rest of humanity. It could have stopped the spread by doing what you want Trump to have done.

And, ironically, Trump is the only President since the start of our official commercial comity with communism to actually attempt to disentangle us from the CCP's tentacles.

But, for whatever reason (politics, hate, media driven perspective, disinformation) many of us prefer to bash Trump rather than the CCP. If there is any good that comes of this crisis, the best may be the beginning of the downfall of the CCP. The Chinese people (and the rest of the world) need one of those revolutions that brought down the Soviet Union.

An honest look would expose the inherent danger of putting the welfare of your country into the hands of the CCP. If enough of those countries that have bought into China's Belt and Road "help" suffer enough from the pandemic, they might abandon that self destructive foreign "aid." If the U.S. and the rest of the world wean from China's tits, the CCP will collapse, and the Chinese people might be able to rise to heights that would truly be admirable. They are an industrious people. Given actual freedom, who knows how high they can go.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-30-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Old 03-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #144
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You have an odd measure of greatness.

Trump* received astonishingly prescient strategic & even tactical intelligence warnings about COVID-19. He then utterly failed to act.

Only Trump* himself refused to believe what the previous administration had & his intelligence reports warned him about.

Faced with the coronavirus, Trump chose not to have the White House lead the planning until nearly two months after it began.

Trump* has relentlessly lied about COVID-19: its spread, its danger, & US readiness.

If Trump* had been left alone to use his natural intelligence, we would be at that worst case scenario — “1.6 million to 2.2 million” dead, according to Dr Birx. The reality is that 100,000 to 200,000 dead may be the best we can do at this point after months of Trump*'s lies, inaction and avoiding responsibility.

Those deaths will be what we pay for Trump*’s utter incompetence and willful blindness.

And he’s going to get much, much worse as this crisis gets worse.

God help us.
Your hate has left you blind to the body of work. We will get through this as a nation but feel free to panic.
Meanwhile, PaulS and Spence made a tick tock video that had more views than Sleepy Joey’s town hall could ever hope for.
👍🏿🙄

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN