Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Dont worry My pillow guy is on the job and Fox is in full blown defend Trump mode

Mainstream media mocks White House appearance of 'My Pillow Guy' Mike Lindell despite contribution to virus fight

I doubt his efforts were what was being mocked, they are honorable. ,,but his bending of the knee on national television was the reason his appearance was mocked and trumps desire for him to run as Gov of Minnesota , after is recent issue with the sitting governor did not go un noticed

God gave us grace on November 8, 2016, to change the course we were on," the pro-Trump businessman said. "God had been taken out of our schools and lives, a nation had turned its back on God. I encourage you to use this time at home to get back in the word. Read our Bible and spend time with our families."With our great president, vice president and this administration and all the great people in this country praying daily, we will get through this and get back to a place that’s stronger and safer than ever.”

But Rachel is so horrible for suggesting to Trump Stop with the arbitrary deadlines
"I doubt his efforts were what was being mocked"

Agreed.

"his bending of the knee on national television was the reason"

Why? Let's talk about that for a second. Why is that a reason for mockery? For tens of millions of Americans, faith is one of the most important things in their lives, so why do those who don't feel that why, need to mock those who do?

Every speck of data shows that people of faith identify as being happier, being more charitable, get divorced less often, commit less crime. Maybe instead of mocking faith non stop, your side should be asking, why does faith motivate people to do so much good? And why would a major political party be doing everything it can, to turn people away from faith?

"But Rachel is so horrible for suggesting to Trump Stop with the arbitrary deadlines"

No one said that. She is horrible for suggesting nightly, that bigotry is the only reason why anyone can disagree with her on anything.

Is it crazy for the My Pillow guy to feel like Obama attacked faith? Obama tried to force Christian business owners to provide elective abortions to employees, he was successfully sued multiple times for trampling on the religious freedoms of christians. That happened.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #32
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

I won't post again in this thread.
yes you will
Old 03-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #33
Jim in CT

and when trump said the ship would be in NYC this week, Maddow called that “nonsense.”.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-31-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
and when trump said the ship would be in NYC this week, Maddow called that “nonsense.”.
Let the hate flow through your veins. Inhale... exhale....
Old 03-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #35
zimmy

Quote:
No he said it would be there last week. They were both wrong. So was the Navy. Who gives a bleep?

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
No he said it would be there last week. They were both wrong. So was the Navy. Who gives a bleep?
I don't even know what week it is anymore
Old 03-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
"I doubt his efforts were what was being mocked"

Agreed.

"his bending of the knee on national television was the reason"

Why? Let's talk about that for a second. Why is that a reason for mockery? For tens of millions of Americans, faith is one of the most important things in their lives, so why do those who don't feel that why, need to mock those who do?

Every speck of data shows that people of faith identify as being happier, being more charitable, get divorced less often, commit less crime. Maybe instead of mocking faith non stop, your side should be asking, why does faith motivate people to do so much good? And why would a major political party be doing everything it can, to turn people away from faith?

"But Rachel is so horrible for suggesting to Trump Stop with the arbitrary deadlines"

No one said that. She is horrible for suggesting nightly, that bigotry is the only reason why anyone can disagree with her on anything.

Is it crazy for the My Pillow guy to feel like Obama attacked faith? Obama tried to force Christian business owners to provide elective abortions to employees, he was successfully sued multiple times for trampling on the religious freedoms of christians. That happened.

I have no issue with people of faith , I do take issue with people some how twisting trumps election as providence and he is Gods chosen one..

And the Michigan angle a bit inappropriate
Old 03-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #38
scottw

Mr Pillow should invent a new pillow with an absorbent case that the left can cry into for the next four years
Old 03-31-2020, 04:12 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
I have no issue with people of faith , I do take issue with people some how twisting trumps election as providence and he is Gods chosen one..

And the Michigan angle a bit inappropriate
Calling Trump the chosen one is a stretch all right. BUt from the perspective of the faithful, he was preferable to the alternative.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #40
zimmy

Quote:
Calling Trump the chosen one is a stretch all right. BUt from the perspective of the faithful, he was preferable to the alternative.
Not true. My mom is an Evangelical and finds it hard to fathom that a Christian would vote for him. He is the antithesis of a Christian in her view and she voted for Republicans for most of her life. I have many Evangelical friends from home in central PA who feel the same way. There are tens of millions of faithful who find him vile and didn't vote for him. He may pander to a certain sect of faithful but you don't have the authority to give "the perspective of the faithful." Given your recent vile comments in here though I can see why you think that.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #41
scottw

Quote:
Not true. My mom is an Evangelical and finds it hard to fathom that a Christian would vote for him. He is the antithesis of a Christian in her view and she voted for Republicans for most of her life. I have many Evangelical friends from home in central PA who feel the same way. There are tens of millions of faithful who find him vile and didn't vote for him. He may pander to a certain sect of faithful but you don't have the authority to give "the perspective of the faithful." Given your recent vile comments in here though I can see why you think that.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #42
Sea Dangles

Thanks for sharing your personal perspective Zimmy but I think you are mistaken.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
your mom is one person. there are tens and tens of millions of evangelicals.

earth to you, evangelicals turned out for him. not for the way he chooses to live, but for the policies he endorses. god almighty, you take a poll of the people you know, and that means that evangelicals didn’t vote for trump? more accurately, they voted for Pence.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 PM   #44
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Thanks for sharing your personal perspective Zimmy but I think you are mistaken.
Mistaken bout which part? That Jim doesn't have the authority to speak for "the faithful?" That I have a mom? 10's of millions of faithful voted against Trump? I bet you are thinking that he meant a majority of the faithful, which would be true.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
the uber liberal washington post says that 80% of white evangelicals voted for trump. but you can dispute that because of your mom. very scientific.

the left hates christians, christianity, and everything it stands for.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-donald-trump/
Old 03-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Mistaken bout which part? That Jim doesn't have the authority to speak for "the faithful?" That I have a mom? 10's of millions of faithful voted against Trump? I bet you are thinking that he meant a majority of the faithful, which would be true.
i didn’t speak for the faithful. i said they voted for trump. because they did. you’re denying that evangelicals went for trump? on what basis would they vote for Hilary?

i’m really in your head, huh? take a breath and relax.

I never claimed your mom voted for him, so i can’t imagine what you thought you were referring to.

I said the faithful voted for trump. did you really interpret that as my saying that 100% voted for him with no exceptions?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:27 PM   #47
zimmy

Quote:
your mom is one person. there are tens and tens of millions of evangelicals.

earth to you, evangelicals turned out for him. not for the way he chooses to live, but for the policies he endorses. god almighty, you take a poll of the people you know, and that means that evangelicals didn’t vote for trump? more accurately, they voted for Pence.
No, you said "but from the perspective of the faithful." The ones who voted for him are not "the faithful" they are some of them. You say such garbage in here it is ridiculous.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 PM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, you said "but from the perspective of the faithful." The ones who voted for him are not "the faithful" they are some of them. You say such garbage in here it is ridiculous.
80% of evangelicals voted for the guy, but somehow it’s wrong if i say they support him. gotcha.

if i said “blacks chose hilary”, would
you disagree?

the left is getting way more secular. that’s their choice. that choice has consequences.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #49
zimmy

Quote:
80% of evangelicals voted for the guy, but somehow it’s wrong if i say they support him. gotcha.

if i said “blacks chose hilary”, would
you disagree?

the left is getting way more secular. that’s their choice. that choice has consequences.
Oh sorry. My bad. I read the words "faithful." My computer is showing different words than yours apparently.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #50
scottw

Quote:
Oh sorry. My bad. I read the words "faithful." My computer is showing different words than yours apparently.
apparently...."faithful" is one word
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
ok. show me data, any data, which suggests that genuinely religious people, didn’t go for Trump/Pence in 2016.

your observations of 5 people you know, are not statistically significant. the evangelicals are a huge, huge group. and 80% voted for trump.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:22 AM   #52
Sea Dangles

Quote:
About the tens of millions of faithful that didn’t vote for him. I am doubtful as to the validity of these numbers. Do you have a link?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #53
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
About the tens of millions of faithful that didn’t vote for him. I am doubtful as to the validity of these numbers. Do you have a link?
Two points before I retreat back into Home School and Telework land.... >20 million (10's of millions ) of 'faithful' is reasonable.

1. Faithful does not mean religious, I am sure many are faithful (i.e. believe in a god without supporting a specific religion)

2. 65 million people voted against trump, 62 million for trump in 2016 total, 327 million total population, just for context.

There are 90-100 million Evangelicals (per google)
70 million Catholics
7.5 million Jews

So lets say 170 million total in these three categories.

If 60% of those voted, and 80% voted for Trump (likely lower for Jewish, and perhaps Catholic, as I saw an article where in 2020 only 35% were planning to vote for Trump and up to 54% were 'open to it') (170 *0.6 *0.2) = 20 million. That is not counting the faithful of other faiths and non-denominational.

If 50% of Catholics voted, and 60% voted for Trump (being conservative I think, might be lower), that is 14 million right there.....

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 04-01-2020 at 07:28 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #54
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Two points before I retreat back into Home School and Telework land.... >20 million (10's of millions ) of 'faithful' is reasonable.

1. Faithful does not mean religious, I am sure many are faithful (i.e. believe in a god without supporting a specific religion)

2. 65 million people voted against trump, 62 million for trump in 2016 total, 327 million total population, just for context.

70 million Catholics
7.5 million Jews

If 60% of those voted, and 80% voted for Trump (likely lower for Jewish, and perhaps Catholic, as I saw an article where in 2020 only 35% were planning to vote for Trump and up to 54% were 'open to it') (170 *0.6 *0.2) = 20 million. That is not counting the faithful of other faiths and non-denominational.
In this context I believe Zimmy meant religious,but Icant be sure.
To vote for a candidate does not necessarily indicate one is voting “against” another. Perhaps a link would provide more clarity rather than opinion and conjecture. A thoughtful response regardless of loosely gathered thoughts and biased research which typically flows from the left.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #55
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
In this context I believe Zimmy meant religious,but Icant be sure.
To vote for a candidate does not necessarily indicate one is voting “against” another. Perhaps a link would provide more clarity rather than opinion and conjecture. A thoughtful response regardless of loosely gathered thoughts and biased research which typically flows from the left.
In the article they acknowledge the 80% of white born again evangelicals voted for trump,.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...2016-analysis/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-PEW.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	67001  

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

70 million Catholics
7.5 million Jews

If 50% of Catholics voted, and 60% voted for Trump (being conservative I think, might be lower), that is 14 million right there.....
i think as you stated, you were being generous with catholics for trump.

But when i say faithful, i don’t mean people who call themselves catholic but go to church 4 times a year and are pro choice. i mean religious people who take their faith and convictions seriously. a lot of people who identify as catholic, are very casual about it. evangelicals are usually more devout and serious.

this group, which i call “the faithful” because they actually try to stay faithful to that which they profess to believe, went big for trump. there’s no way that’s not true.

catholics and jews as a group, are likely to vote for a candidate whose policies are contrary to their faith ( today’s national democratic platform is totally incompatible with catholicism). evangelicals are a lot less likely to do so.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #57
wdmso

The bottom line Trump is playing the religious right and they are playing him they clearly understand to use his vanity shower him in praise make him an unaware tool of God. To get what they want. These are the same people who swindle millions of dollars from followers sell fake cures and speak in tounge, yet live lavish lifestyles big houses jets , and Tump fits right in
Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #58
Sea Dangles

Quote:
The bottom line Trump is playing the religious right and they are playing him they clearly understand to use his vanity shower him in praise make him an unaware tool of God. To get what they want. These are the same people who swindle millions of dollars from followers sell fake cures and speak in tounge, yet live lavish lifestyles big houses jets , and Tump fits right in
Both sides pander Wayne. But I think you know that. Why do you think Bernie voted against the Brady Bill?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
He's doing what the religious right wants him to do. We get conservative judges and the ability to practice our religion without the feds telling us we need to defy our beliefs. In return, he gets our votes.

Why is that one side "playing" the other?

You vote for democrats who promise your union more than the Republicans. Why is that different? Does that mean you're getting "played" too?

Lemme guess...it's OK when unions and democrats work together, but sinister when evangelicals and republicans work together.

I can make a very great argument that the unions are getting played, because those pensions can never be paid for (just do the math), and when they go bankrupt, the democrats who lied to you will be retired in Grand Cayman. And they won't give a sh*t about the promises they made to you 30 years prior.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #60
zimmy

Quote:
To keep it simple and not get into the semantics of who gets to qualify as faithful: 138 million voted 75% identified as Catholic, Protestant, or Jewish. 40% of those voters voted for Hillary.
138x0.75x0.4= 41.4 million
Had Jim said a majority voted for Trump I wouldn't have had anything to say, but his blanket statement is a representative of co opting of religion by some on the right that is bogus. Maybe Jim just meant Trump won a majority of the faithful. Maybe given the way he started this thread he should look into what it means to be faithful.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...2016-analysis/