Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

a vote for Trump equals an agreement with his tweets
stupid. is a vote for biden a vote for plagiarism, endless race-baiting, lying, and rape?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #32
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i don’t like voter suppression any more than i like shenanigans with mail in ballots, which any rational person would say is vulnerable to abuse.

haven’t seen any evidence that Barrett got where she is, the way Harris did. Have you?

Harris and Barrett aren’t the same just because they’re women.
Seems most of your suggestions are from the conspericy world . Not suprising

Ps Amy is from a cult who knows her vices
Old 11-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:

i thought biden was also catholic?
Old 11-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:

Barrett has 5 children, one of whom
is special needs. yet she adopted two orphans from haiti.

neither you nor i will improve the world to that degree. but you dump
on her because she has an R after her name.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Keep grasping at straws, man.

Tweety has paid $27 million in fraud settlements just since becoming president, and his longtime personal lawyer went to jail for crimes that prosecutors said were committed "in coordination with and at the direction of" the president.
And he claims he is "perhaps the most innocent man anywhere in the history of the United States."
I'll sum up his presidency. He betrayed the country twice: he allowed a foreign power to undermine American democracy & he permitted a pandemic to do far more damage beyond what was unavoidable. And Trumplicans colluded with him. Utter treachery.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #36
scottw

Quote:

conspericy
we really need to ban you from using this word...you've worn it out
Old 11-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #37
scottw

Quote:

she's pretty awesome...you are just jealous
Old 11-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #38
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I'll sum up his presidency. He betrayed the country twice: he allowed a foreign power to undermine American democracy & he permitted a pandemic to do far more damage beyond what was unavoidable. And Trumplicans colluded with him. Utter treachery.
As Progressive as your political views on the power of our President seem to be, you don't seem to have confidence in the political jewel of Progressivism--our powerful regulatory, administrative, and intelligence agencies. They pretty much are supposed to do things like control a pandemic and defend us from foreign powers "undermining" our "democracy." They even undermine our own democracy, for instance, by attempting to remove a duly elected President. Utter treachery.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
As Progressive as your political views on the power of our President seem to be, you don't seem to have confidence in the political jewel of Progressivism--our powerful regulatory, administrative, and intelligence agencies. They pretty much are supposed to do things like control a pandemic and defend us from foreign powers "undermining" our "democracy." They even undermine our own democracy, for instance, by attempting to remove a duly elected President. Utter treachery.
And with your viewpoint he is titular at best, with no responsibility and yet as a unitary president possessing tremendous powers.

In 2016, Putin mounted a covert op to sow discord, hurt Clinton & help Trump. When this plot became public—when WikiLeaks dumped DNC emails and documents stolen by Russian hackers—the Trump campaign (including Paul Manafort & Donald Jr) denied the Russian attack.
The Trump campaign aided & abetted the Russian attack by providing cover for Moscow and by echoing Putin's false denials. The campaign did this even though it had tried to collude with a Kremlin operative as part of what it was told was a secret Moscow plot to help Trump.
This was the infamous June 9, 2016 Trump Tower meeting, attended by Jr., Kushner, and Manafort. The meeting informed the Trump campaign that Russia was trying to secretly help Trump AND it signaled to the Kremlin that the Trump campaign welcomed its covert assistance.
Meanwhile, Manafort was secretly communicating with a Russian intelligence official (as the recent Senate intel comm. report described him) and sharing polling data with him. The report noted that this Konstantin Kilimnik might have been connected to Putin's hack-and-leak operation.
So here was Trump's campaign manager possibly colluding with a Russian intelligence officer. At the least, Manafort was again signaling to Moscow that the campaign did not mind its underhanded intervention in the election.
Trump signaled this directly himself when he publicly called on Russian hackers to hack Clinton and find the personal emails that she had destroyed. Trump aides later said he was joking. But that same day, Russian hackers did try to break into HRC's email.
And there's this: through the first half of 2016, Trump was secretly trying to do a huge Moscow tower deal. His lawyer, Michael Cohen, even asked Putin's office for help with the venture. Yet Trump said nothing to American voters about this project.
This was probably the most significant conflict-of-interest in modern American presidential politics. While being asked to comment on Putin and Russia—and making positive public statements about Putin—Trump was attempting to make big money in Moscow.
His Moscow deal certainly would not go through if he criticized Putin. Trump was compromised in this way. Plus, he claimed he had nothing to do with Russia regarding business. That was a lie.
During the first half of 2016, George Papadopoulos, a Trump campaign aide, repeatedly tried to set up a private link between the campaign and Putin's office. This was yet another signal to Moscow that the Trump campaign did not mind Russia's intervention in the US election.
In August 2017, Trump was briefed by US intel that Russia was behind the hack-and-leak operation. Still, Trump publicly and repeatedly stated there was no reason to suspect it was Russia. For the rest of the race, he kept covering for Putin. Imagine how the Kremlin saw this.
As the Senate intelligence committee report notes, even as Trump and his aides publicly denied Russia was intervening, they sought to exploit the attack. Trump even used Roger Stone to try to get inside information from WikiLeaks about its releases of Russian-stolen material.
The Senate intelligence committee report—which was endorsed by its GOP members—essentially says that Trump lied to the Mueller probe when he said he could not recall any discussions with Stone about this.
So as Trump tacitly helped the Russian operation in 2016, the Kremlin plot continued--with a big release of material that began on the day the Access Hollywood tape emerged and that continued for the last four weeks of the race.
This prolonged dump helped shape the race in the final weeks and, no doubt, was one factor in Trump's victory. The Russians succeeded. Trump was elected with Putin's direct assistance.
In the years after the 2016 election, Trump has continued to aid and abet by denying or discounting the Russian intervention. In 2017, he told Russian officials visiting the White House he wasn't concerned w/ the 2016 attack. He allowed them to get away with it.
During the 2020 campaign, as US intelligence officials have stated publicly that Putin was covertly intervening again, Trump has said nothing about this. He has refused to challenge Putin or protect the US election. He has once again betrayed the nation he swore to defend.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

Distracted by Detbuch’s claim that Covita was unfairly impeached
Back to voter suppression
1. Ohio SOS Frank LaRose opposing drop boxes while claiming his hands were tied.
2. TX Gov. Abbott reversing on boxes.
3. Pa. legislators and North Carolina legislators going all the way to the Supreme Court to try to stop extension of receipt of mail-in ballots mailed by election day.
4. Alabama SOS Merrill fighting against allowing counties to offer curbside voting for immunocompromised voters
5. South Carolina not challenging judicial elimination of witness signature during primaries, but challenging (all the way to the Supreme Court) same rule applied in general election; and doing so after instructions told voters no signature needed
6. Wisconsin Republican legislators refusing to postpone April primary election in the height of the pandemic, going all the way to state AND U.S. Supreme Court, and fighting extension of ballot receipt deadline in general election all the way to SCOTUS.
7. RNC and allies seeking to stop sending ballots to all active registered voters in CA, NJ, NV, and some Montana counties.
8. Leonard Leo-backed "Honest Elections Project" fighting against counting of ballots arriving after election day in MN, and getting 8th Circuit to consider
9. Republican legislator and candidate filing last minute case in federal and state court seeking to disenfranchise 120,000 voters using drive-thru voting in Harris County, TX that is allowed by state law.
10. Republican legislators in PA and WI (and to some extent MI) refusing to allow pre-canvassing of mail in ballots (as allowed in places like FL and UT) in the hopes it would give Trump an ephemeral chance to be in the lead.
11. The Oklahoma legislature's reenactment of a notarization requirement for absentee balloting after the state Supreme Court threw it out in light of COVID.
12. Georgia SOS and election officials going to the 11th circuit to reverse a district court order that would have required paper backup of voter registration information for use in polling places in case electronic system goes down AGAIN.
13. Five Republican-dominated states, including TX and Indiana, that refused, even after being sued, to allowing people to vote by mail if they lack immunity to COVID. Texas litigating in US and state Supreme Court to say lack of immunity is not a "disability" or discrimination.
14. Florida officials also fighting the expansion of drop boxes even in the midst of a pandemic and in the middle of a USPS crisis in mail delivery that doubtlessly will disenfranchise thousands of voters who mailed their ballots at least a week before election day.
15. Lawsuits in PA, MN, TX and likely elsewhere seeking to block ballots using a doctrine never accepted by a Supreme Court majority about a kind of unlimited power of state legislatures to set voting rules to exclusion of state courts and state and local election administrators.
16. Lawsuits across the country, one even going all the way to Supreme Court, seeking to block charitable contributions from Zuckerberg foundation to defray cost of running election during pandemic; after Congress allocated only 1/10 of needed funds when Senate Rs blocked.
"The Trump campaign and Republican entities engaged in more than 40 voting and ballot court cases around the country this year. In exactly none — zero — are they trying to make it easier for citizens to vote."--GOP election attorney Ben Ginsberg
Old 11-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
And with your viewpoint he is titular at best, with no responsibility and yet as a unitary president possessing tremendous powers.
It is not my viewpoint that the President is titular at best.

It is not my viewpoint that the President has no responsibility.

As for "a unitary president", we do have, per the Constitution, one President at a time. And he has limited constitutional powers.

It is you that seems to have the Progressive viewpoint that the President has tremendous powers outside of constitutional limitations.

We do have these Progressive regulatory agencies which have unconstitutional plenary legislative, executive, and judicial powers. I may be wrong, but you seem to favor them. In which case, I would think that you would want them to continuously carry out their missions without constant supervision and command.

As for the load of words that follow your above statement, they are not worth my spending any time dissecting. They amount to a narrative that can lead to different opinions and conjectures. Your implication has not been verified.

And I didn't mention Trump's impeachment. You keep making stuff up.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It is not my viewpoint that the President is titular at best.

It is not my viewpoint that the President has no responsibility.

As for "a unitary president", we do have, per the Constitution, one President at a time. And he has limited constitutional powers. You better tell Barr, because he believes in the unitary executive and the man he works for using that theory in his administration.

It is you that seems to have the Progressive viewpoint that the President has tremendous powers outside of constitutional limitations.

We do have these Progressive regulatory agencies which have unconstitutional plenary legislative, executive, and judicial powers. SCOTUS disagrees Wiener v. United States, 357 U.S. 349 (1958); Humphrey’s Executor
v. United States, 295 U.S. 602 (1935).
I may be wrong, but you seem to favor them. In which case, I would think that you would want them to continuously carry out their missions without constant supervision and command. Unless prohibited by Congress in their authorization, the President has the power to act with regards to Federal Agencies

As for the load of words that follow your above statement, they are not worth my spending any time dissecting. They amount to a narrative that can lead to different opinions and conjectures. Your implication has not been verified.

And I didn't mention Trump's impeachment. You keep making stuff up.
Perhaps I misunderstood and you are claiming that agencies used some other method to remove a duly elected President in this statement? "They even undermine our own democracy, for instance, by attempting to remove a duly elected President."

But currently the Covita campaign is looking at what's happening and trying to decide who's fault this is:

"If there was a flaw in our strategy, it was probably that we forgot that women had the vote."

"If there was a flaw in our strategy, it was letting our campaign staff steal all the money instead of using it for campaign purposes."

"If there was a flaw in our strategy, it was killing the voters."

“If there was a flaw in our strategy it was thinking that we could use a four-year-old platform and sell it as something new.”

"If there was a flaw in our campaign strategy, it was probably the decision to make our Number One issue the unfairness of cable TV to the president, instead of anything any voter actually cared about."

"If there was a flaw in our campaign strategy, it was nominating and re-nominating a malignant narcissist in thrall to foreign powers with zero care or concern for anything other than grabbing as much of other people's money as he could lay his hands on."

“If there was a flaw in our strategy it was thinking that we actually COULD fool all of the people, all of the time.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #43
wdmso

Quote:
Barrett has 5 children, one of whom
is special needs. yet she adopted two orphans from haiti.

neither you nor i will improve the world to that degree. but you dump
on her because she has an R after her name.
SAYS THE MAN WHO SUGGESTED THE DEM VP candidate slept her way to the top

You have no credibility
Old 11-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #44
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
she's pretty awesome...you are just jealous
She could be behind closed doors who knows
Old 11-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #45
detbuch

Quote:
As for "a unitary president", we do have, per the Constitution, one President at a time. And he has limited constitutional powers.

You better tell Barr, because he believes in the unitary executive and the man he works for using that theory in his administration.

Yes, well Madison and Hamilton believed it was better to have a "unitary President" (one executive rather than multiple executives) so that is what was decided and we have one President not two or more. It is you that seems to have the Progressive viewpoint that the President has tremendous powers outside of constitutional limitations.

We do have these Progressive regulatory agencies which have unconstitutional plenary legislative, executive, and judicial powers.

SCOTUS disagrees Wiener v. United States, 357 U.S. 349 (1958); Humphrey’s Executor
v. United States, 295 U.S. 602 (1935).

I don't see the disagreement. I didn't say that their powers could not be challenged by Congress or the Court. Generally, the Court defers to agency expertise. So it is difficult to overrule an agency decision. It has occasionally been done. But in Humphrey the President's power of removal from the agency was struck down.

I may be wrong, but you seem to favor them. In which case, I would think that you would want them to continuously carry out their missions without constant supervision and command.

Unless prohibited by Congress in their authorization, the President has the power to act with regards to Federal Agencies

That is a huge "Unless". Even so, the agencies pretty much act on their own. Most of their work is ongoing and too much for a President to minutely oversee and command. And even when there is a Presidential order that is unpopular or deemed wrong or politically opposed by those in the agency, there is often, pushback and even quiet sabotage.

Perhaps I misunderstood and you are claiming that agencies used some other method to remove a duly elected President in this statement? "They even undermine our own democracy, for instance, by attempting to remove a duly elected President."

The elaborate creation of a narrative to frame Trump is what I referred to as an example of undermining our "democracy."
The CIA and FBI don't have the power to impeach--granted that impeachment could be one of the ways the President would be removed.

But currently the Covita campaign is looking at what's happening and trying to decide who's fault this is:
What does that matter at this point?
Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

It’s all part of the political game, remember even Trump is worse off today than he was 4 years ago
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #47
detbuch

Quote:
It’s all part of the political game, remember even Trump is worse off today than he was 4 years ago
He's way better off than he was a month ago when he contracted covid. Thanks to his Operation Warp Speed.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #48
wdmso

Trump called the election "a fraud on the American public" and said, "Frankly, we did win this election." He also said he planned to take the battle to the U.S. Supreme Court but did not explain what he meant.

this-is the main reason I have no understanding how anyone could vote for this Guy .. he isn't out the race . and still spews this nonsense

he cant even take responsibility if he wins it will be because of litigation or fraud if he losses ... ??
Old 11-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #49
Jim in CT

i wish trump would shut his mouth. but when the attorney general of PA says the day before the election that Trump
will lose there, obviously Trump has cause for some concern.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #50
scottw

this should make the portland riots more fun

Oregon Voters Decriminalize Possession of Hard Drugs, Including Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth
Old 11-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #51
wdmso

Quote:
i wish trump would shut his mouth. but when the attorney general of PA says the day before the election that Trump
will lose there, obviously Trump has cause for some concern.
not sure How he has no say in the vote count , not sure how you see he statement's as a bigger concern. than the POTUS
Old 11-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #52
wdmso

Quote:
this should make the portland riots more fun

Oregon Voters Decriminalize Possession of Hard Drugs, Including Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth
5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results
Street drug–related deaths from overdoses drop and the rate of HIV cases crashes

so its been done I think not 100% that drug dealers still go to prison
Old 11-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
not sure How he has no say in the vote count , not sure how you see he statement's as a bigger concern. than the POTUS
wdmso, are you going to say with a straight face, that mail in ballots aren’t more ripe for fraud?

i see trunks statement as a big concern, one of the worst things he’s said in the last 4 years.

but my wife voted early, and when i checked in yesterday in person, her name wasn’t crossed off. so i asked the volunteer if she was eligible to vote again, and they said yes. she didn’t, but she could have.

with this much at stake, either side is capable of kicking the ball onto the fairway.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #54
scottw

Quote:
5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results
Street drug–related deaths from overdoses drop and the rate of HIV cases crashes

so its been done I think not 100% that drug dealers still go to prison
don't you accuse of others of "needles in haystacks"?(some irony there)
Old 11-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #55
wdmso

Quote:
don't you accuse of others of "needles in haystacks"?(some irony there)
My needle has a history a track record to actually look at .. not some youtube blogger no one ever heard of..

it illegal and still people use making it legal isn't going to change that
Old 11-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #56
scottw

Quote:

My needle has a history a track record to actually look at ..
if you actually do a little reading around that may not necessarily be true

and it's still a needle in a haystack...and some irony regarding the name most associated with the claims
Old 11-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #57
wdmso

Quote:
wdmso, are you going to say with a straight face, that mail in ballots aren’t more ripe for fraud? No they are not another statement minus supporting evidence

i see trunks statement as a big concern, one of the worst things he’s said in the last 4 years. Figures

but my wife voted early, and when i checked in yesterday in person, her name wasn’t crossed off. so i asked the volunteer if she was eligible to vote again, and they said yes. she didn’t, but she could have. With a provisional ballot

with this much at stake, either side is capable of kicking the ball onto the fairway.
Rockhound said it in another thread spot on. Stop counting everywhere , keep counting in Arizona. That sums him up completely
Old 11-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #58
wdmso

International Election Observers Say Trump Harms Public Trust In Vote

Shocking
Old 11-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #59
wdmso

Trumps filling lawsuit in Georgia. Here we go . How can people still support this Clown?
Old 11-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trumps filling lawsuit in Georgia. Here we go . How can people still support this Clown?
When Gore filed lawsuits in 2000, you criticized him?