Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #181
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
According to Spence, 13 unarmed blacks were killed by cops in 2019.
I didn't say that.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #182
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this sounds racist
Actually I thought the same thing after I posted. It ..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #183
wdmso

Quote:
According to Spence, 13 unarmed blacks were killed by cops in 2019. According to the FBI, 8,600 blacks were homicide victims in 2020/

I say we should work to address police brutality and black on black crime, but that we should allocate resources and energy to those problems according to the magnitude of each issue. One issue claims 660 times more black lives than the other.

You say it's "idiocy" to give any weight to the difference in magnitude of those crises. You are entitled to that opinion.

Any unarmed Americans is to many no matter their Race to be killed by police.. not sure why expecting more from law enforcement is anti law enforcement to the Right? They sees accountability as a woke or a CRT suggestion .. apparently

Ps for the record your black on black crime is still irrelevant to the police brutality question.. I guess you still never read the article in the link I provided
Old 10-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #184
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Any unarmed Americans is to many no matter their Race to be killed by police.. not sure why expecting more from law enforcement is anti law enforcement to the Right? They sees accountability as a woke or a CRT suggestion .. apparently

Ps for the record your black on black crime is still irrelevant to the police brutality question.. I guess you still never read the article in the link I provided
“any is too many.”

i agreed and already said so.

but 13 isnt 8,600.

priorities. you ever have to set priorities, or do you always assign the same
weight to everything?

this is beyond stupid.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #185
Pete F.
Canceled

Of course, some would say we should be able to solve more than one problem at a time.

Location matters when it comes to police killings, both in U.S. states and around the world. Black persons in Oklahoma are six times more likely to be killed by police than those in Georgia. Additionally, eight of the 100 largest police departments in the United States kill black men at higher rates than the U.S. murder rate. These departments are Reno, Oklahoma City, Santa Ana, Anaheim, St. Louis City, Scottsdale, Hialeah, and Madison.

The United States, however, does not have the highest number of police killings or the highest rate of police killings per 10 million people. The United States has the fifth-highest number of police killings and the 30th-highest police killing rate per 10 million people.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:33 AM   #186
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

I read enough to prompt my response, here is what you posted, which suggested the cop was justified.

not sure how you construe this into suggesting the cop was justified

he's(the cop) now paying the price for making a very poor decision

if I said Floyd was now paying the price for making a series of poor decisions by taking a lethal dose of drugs and driving his vehicle around and passing a counterfeit bill and being uncooperative with the police

does that suggest to you that I think Floyd was justified?
Old 10-13-2021, 03:38 AM   #187
scottw

Quote:

Any unarmed Americans is to many

this is an unreasonable standard....this is like saying any death from cancer is too many....well, in the real world...it's gonna happen
Old 10-13-2021, 03:39 AM   #188
scottw

Quote:

even in a combat zone I couldn't shoot an Iraqi because I thought he had a gun .. I am sure some did ..
maybe we should combat train our police so they will better equipped to deal with these situations
Old 10-13-2021, 04:06 AM   #189
scottw

Quote:

that was far beyond a poor decision but keep up the defense

I'm not defending him....I said he made a very poor decision, I believe he is in jail now sentenced to 22 years for murder which is what happens when you make very poor decisions, you can also end up dead when you make very poor decisions....you seem to think he had some ulterior motivation....there were a lot of poor decisions that led up to the results of that day....

WHAT DO ATTORNEYS SAY?

Chauvin attorney Eric Nelson, in a pretrial filing, said Chauvin followed policy and “did exactly as he was trained to do.” The filing included a photo in department training materials of a trainer with a knee on the neck of an instructor playing a suspect.

Prosecutors have already put supervisory officers on the stand to testify that, even if Chauvin pinning Floyd with his knee fell within policy, doing so for 9 minutes, 29 seconds did not.

AFTER THE FACT Minneapolis agreed Friday to ban chokeholds and neck restraints by police and to require officers to try to stop any other officers they see using improper force, in the first concrete steps to remake the city’s police force since George Floyd’s death.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:18 AM   #190
scottw

Quote:

Any unarmed Americans is to many no matter their Race to be killed by police..

what are your thoughts on Ashli Babbit?
Old 10-13-2021, 04:41 AM   #191
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Of course, some would say we should be able to solve more than one problem at a time.

Location matters when it comes to police killings, both in U.S. states and around the world. Black persons in Oklahoma are six times more likely to be killed by police than those in Georgia. Additionally, eight of the 100 largest police departments in the United States kill black men at higher rates than the U.S. murder rate. These departments are Reno, Oklahoma City, Santa Ana, Anaheim, St. Louis City, Scottsdale, Hialeah, and Madison.

The United States, however, does not have the highest number of police killings or the highest rate of police killings per 10 million people. The United States has the fifth-highest number of police killings and the 30th-highest police killing rate per 10 million people.
hey pete,

do you have any statistics that show what percentage of the population who comply with the police during encounters get injured or shot?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #192
Jim in CT

Quote:
a seditionist who got exactly what was coming to her.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:31 AM   #193
Jim in CT

Quote:
this is an unreasonable standard....this is like saying any death from cancer is too many....well, in the real world...it's gonna happen
exactly, you send cops into gravely dangerous situations, they’re pumped up and scared like anyone would be, mistakes will be made. it’s tragic, and we can try to train them better, but mistakes will be made, just like good faith mistakes are made by doctors in hospitals.

it would be nice if we could
differentiate between well intentioned mistakes ( say, Brianna Taylor where the cops walked into a barrage of fire) and murder ( like the Floyd case). and it would be nice if we didn’t always assume race was the main motive when we have no idea.

Sadly, that kind of honesty doesn’t help democrats win elections. What helps them, is pretending this issue is much worse than it actually is. And if innocent cops get killed as a result of portraying them as racist assassins, the DNC has decided that’s a price they’re willing to pay
Old 10-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #194
wdmso

Quote:
maybe we should combat train our police so they will better equipped to deal with these situations
Maybe .. sadly many think they are in Combat the dress like it
Old 10-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #195
wdmso

Quote:

Ah the Babbit false equivalence nonsense

I don't recall the capitol police saying they shot her because they thought she had a weapon (but would haven't been outrageous if they had).. with her hands up .. but please keep trying to suggest she wasn't actively trying to break into an area with our representatives to . with clear intent to do Harm . against orders from law enforcement to not enter...

I thought you would have said she should of complied or in your words
"if I do something that causes the police to show up and restrain me and I'm uncooperative or give them reason to think I have a weapon or I'm belligerent and resist arrest, yup...I expect bad things will happen to be."

which is it ?

Almost immediately, white supremacist and anti-government extremists began trying to use Ashli Babbitt's death as a clarion call for recruits. and now Trump what a surprise
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #196
wdmso

Quote:
If any one Asks for any police Standards it magically becomes an unreasonable standard

PS i can't shoot and kill you with Cancer.. but why is setting a goal for Zero cancer or zero shooting of unarmed people so controversial... its just a goal... But to even try is outrageous
Old 10-13-2021, 06:35 AM   #197
wdmso

Quote:
exactly, you send cops into gravely dangerous situations, they’re pumped up and scared like anyone would be, mistakes will be made. it’s tragic, and we can try to train them better, but mistakes will be made, just like good faith mistakes are made by doctors in hospitals.

it would be nice if we could
differentiate between well intentioned mistakes ( say, Brianna Taylor where the cops walked into a barrage of fire) Jim they conducted a house invasion with a licensed gun owner who was defending himself and murder ( like the Floyd case). and it would be nice if we didn’t always assume race was the main motive when we have no idea.

Sadly, that kind of honesty doesn’t help democrats win elections. What helps them, is pretending this issue is much worse than it actually is. And if innocent cops get killed as a result of portraying them as racist assassins, the DNC has decided that’s a price they’re willing to pay

Jim you are not talking about good faith mistakes . your 2 examples are not examples of good faith mistakes. talk about lack of honesty
Old 10-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #198
scottw

Quote:
Ah the Babbit false equivalence nonsense

I don't recall the capitol police saying they shot her because they thought she had a weapon (but would haven't been outrageous if they had).. with her hands up .. but please keep trying to suggest she wasn't actively trying to break into an area with our representatives to . with clear intent to do Harm . against orders from law enforcement to not enter...

I thought you would have said she should of complied or in your words
"if I do something that causes the police to show up and restrain me and I'm uncooperative or give them reason to think I have a weapon or I'm belligerent and resist arrest, yup...I expect bad things will happen to be."

which is it ?

Almost immediately, white supremacist and anti-government extremists began trying to use Ashli Babbitt's death as a clarion call for recruits. and now Trump what a surprise
yes there is no evidence that she ever had a gun or even a taser and they still shot her...

I have never argued that she shouldn't have been shot....I've repeatedly said she shouldn't have been there doing what she was doing...just like so many other examples that you like to characterize as police brutality and worse

you are remarkably inconsistent.....nice job dropping a white supremacist reference
Old 10-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #199
scottw

Quote:

but please keep trying to suggest she wasn't actively trying to break into an area with our representatives to . with clear intent to do Harm . against orders from law enforcement to not enter...
you and GS have a remarkable ability to claim that others are trying to suggest things when there is no such suggestion.....

Old 10-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #200
Pete F.
Canceled

CNN just released a new poll showing Biden at 50% approval too. The key question is: will the news media change their narrative that Biden's ratings are plummeting?
Old 10-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #201
Jim in CT

Quote:
CNN just released a new poll showing Biden at 50% approval too. The key question is: will the news media change their narrative that Biden's ratings are plummeting?
and if CNN wasn’t so right wing, they’d be reporting that Biden’s approval ratings are closer to 80%.

sounds like you’ve got nothing to worry about Pete. Everyone loves how Biden is handling the southern border, the withdrawal
from Afghanistan literally could not have gone any better even if Sun Tzu had planned it, oil
prices are plummeting, inflation is at 0, Biden’s brain is clearly sharp as a tack, everyone has full
confidence in Kamala Harris who didn’t humiliate herself even a little bit with a cringeworthy video where she was surrounded by child actors because she knows she can’t relate to actual kids, crime in cities has disappeared, and everyone us fleeing Florida and Texas to move to California and Connecticut. It’s all going your way.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #202
spence

lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3p89jftrqzfjxxgz3tza8vmh0tl66zsn.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	68417  
Old 10-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #203
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
lol
Isn't everything I said true?

In addition, the capital police officer WAS beaten to death with a fire extinguisher, Warren never once profited from a foreclosure, and teachers union contracts don't guarantee that lazy gym teachers make the same salary as dedicated science teachers if they have the same number of years experience and credentials.

You said those things. You know how many times you admitted that you were wrong? Zero. Only conservatives can be wrong. Which is why you admitted there are zero actual liberal policies that you disagree with. Not a one. But you're a very serious intellectual, according to you.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #204
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
and if CNN wasn’t so right wing, they’d be reporting that Biden’s approval ratings are closer to 80%.

sounds like you’ve got nothing to worry about Pete. Everyone loves how Biden is handling the southern border, the withdrawal
from Afghanistan literally could not have gone any better even if Sun Tzu had planned it, oil
prices are plummeting, inflation is at 0, Biden’s brain is clearly sharp as a tack, everyone has full
confidence in Kamala Harris who didn’t humiliate herself even a little bit with a cringeworthy video where she was surrounded by child actors because she knows she can’t relate to actual kids, crime in cities has disappeared, and everyone us fleeing Florida and Texas to move to California and Connecticut. It’s all going your way.
Well, at least you’ve moved on from but her emails

Just repeat what the Trumplican machine says like a good little puppet.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #205
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well, at least you’ve moved on from but her emails

Just repeat what the Trumplican machine says like a good little puppet.
My 10 year old could read your posts, and know that you're a small, terrified little man who is desperately trying to convince himself of something that even he knows isn't true. People who are confident in their beliefs, don't behave remotely like the way you do.

Bitch slapped.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #206
wdmso

Quote:
yes there is no evidence that she ever had a gun or even a taser and they still shot her... who said she had a gun or a taser the capitol police never said they thought she had a gun as the reason they shot her.. guess you missed that part. but you think they were all unarmed anyway

I have never argued that she shouldn't have been shot....I've repeatedly said she shouldn't have been there doing what she was doing...just like so many other examples that you like to characterize as police brutality and worse

you are remarkably inconsistent.....nice job dropping a white supremacist reference

like Jim you need to expand your reading list

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/n...7-4c568e132ef1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/u...ent-trump.html

How Ashli Babbitt went from Capitol rioter to Trump-embraced ‘martyr’

In the months since Jan. 6, Trump and his allies have waged a fevered campaign to rewrite the narrative of one of the darkest days in the nation’s history, when a mob attacked the Capitol, threatening to kill Vice President Mike Pence and using baseball bats and flagpoles to beat police officers as they hunted for lawmakers, many of whom hid behind locked doors, fearing for their lives.

Inside the Capitol siege: How barricaded lawmakers and aides sounded urgent pleas for help as police lost control

41 minutes of fear: A video timeline from inside the Capitol siege
The Post obtained hours of video footage, some exclusively, and placed it within a digital 3-D model of the building. (TWP)
Yet, instead of marauders invading the Capitol, Trump and his acolytes describe a largely peaceful crowd of protesters unfairly maligned and persecuted by prosecutors, Democrats and mainstream journalists.

At the center of their revisionism is Babbitt, their martyr, whose fatal attempt to leap through a door that led to the House chamber — captured in graphic detail on video — they describe as a heroic act of patriotism.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #207
Jim in CT

Quote:
Babbitt, their martyr,[/COLOR] whose fatal attempt to leap through a door that led to the House chamber — captured in graphic detail on video — they describe as a heroic act of patriotism.

I don't know who the "they" is that describe her as a hero. Again, you're hearing those voices. She is at best a trespasser who deserved to be arrested, obviously didn't deserve to be killed. She might be a martyr, but not any kind of hero.

She was a 5 foot tall woman, unarmed (we know that), who was shot and killed without warning (we know that) by a cop who had a history of being stupidly reckless with his firearm (we know that).

That cop wasn't disciplined. We don't know what kind of investigation was done, or what questions were asked.

If an unarmed, tiny female BLM rioter who wasn't posing any kind of threat to anyone was shot to death without warning, would you be more upset? Can you honestly say you'd react this way?
Old 10-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #208
spence

Quote:
Isn't everything I said true?
No.

Quote:
In addition, the capital police officer WAS beaten to death with a fire extinguisher, Warren never once profited from a foreclosure, and teachers union contracts don't guarantee that lazy gym teachers make the same salary as dedicated science teachers if they have the same number of years experience and credentials.
I never saw the updated report that said he didn't have head trauma, but, it's really irrelevant because he's still dead because of the riot.

Never said the other two things.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #209
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No.

I never saw the updated report that said he didn't have head trauma, but, it's really irrelevant because he's still dead because of the riot.

Never said the other two things.
"I never saw the updated report that said he didn't have head trauma, but"

Everyone else did.

"it's really irrelevant because he's still dead because of the riot."

Fascinating that you know more than the doctor who did the autopsy.

"Never said the other two things"

The hell you didn't.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #210
spence

Quote:
Everyone else did.
You're making this up.

Quote:
Fascinating that you know more than the doctor who did the autopsy.
The Doctor who did the autopsy mentioned both the pre-existing condition and the conditions of the riot at the cause of death.

Quote:
The hell you didn't.
Both hands on the keyboard Jim.