Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 03-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #61
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Literally the only non-impulsive decision you've made in the last 15 years. Buy a boat, sell a boat, buy in Warwick, sell in Warwick, buy an r/v sell an r/v....
You gotta luv the guy! :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #62
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
You gotta luv the guy! :-)
Calling him a character is the understatement of the internet....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #63
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Calling him a character is the understatement of the internet....
I beg your pardon!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #64
Clammer

RIRH

I tried to make a list of things ……….but there isn,t any paper long enough ><>>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:58 AM   #65
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
RIRH

I tried to make a list of things ……….but there isn,t any paper long enough ><>>
Yup.
Still we love the old bastard 😂😂
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #66
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Thank you guys for the kind words. It makes me feel loved!

Old 03-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #67
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Just so you skeptics know. We are meeting with a realtor friend April 1.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:22 AM   #68
Rmarsh

We are swamped with work right now.....dozen or more houses to build that are all presold....at prices that are hard to believe.
I've got to train someone else to do kitchen and stairs.... so I can take some time off this summer.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:46 AM   #69
Rmarsh

Home prices today! Wow! How did we get here? I know I'm getting older and times have changed.....but low $600,000.....for a modest sized home.....never thought I'd see this. But I'm comparing it to when I built a small cape on a 1 1/2 acre lot I paid $6,700 for and $22,500 loan to build it with. Good God seems like ancient history.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:27 AM   #70
Hookedagain

In North Attleboro they are selling mobile homes (1400 sq. ft.) in a 55 and older park for $410,000!!!
They are ordering 12 at a time and can't keep them.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #71
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
In North Attleboro they are selling mobile homes (1400 sq. ft.) in a 55 and older park for $410,000!!!
They are ordering 12 at a time and can't keep them.
And I believe most trailer parks the people don't own the land at the end of the day so it equates to a pretty darn expensive camper and campsite
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #72
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Our neighbor had a shoddy home built maybe eight years ago, leaked like no tomorrow and they would find one source and another would develop, the builder eventually said see you go sue me. Instead she sold it two weeks ago in three days for $680,000 cash. It’s a three bedroom I wouldn’t give you $400,000 for. I’ve hinted to Peg we should consider cashing out but I don’t see her considering it in the near future.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #73
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Our neighbor had a shoddy home built maybe eight years ago, leaked like no tomorrow and they would find one source and another would develop, the builder eventually said see you go sue me. Instead she sold it two weeks ago in three days for $680,000 cash. It’s a three bedroom I wouldn’t give you $400,000 for. I’ve hinted to Peg we should consider cashing out but I don’t see her considering it in the near future.
20 years from now that will be a million dollar house. People were saying this back in 2002 when there was a big boom in prices. Back then that house would have been around 300k.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:14 AM   #74
Rmarsh

So obviously my house is worth alot more than my original investment plus improvements...but replacement costs....needing another place to live..... would negate any gain. Also is the decent sized workshop I built on the property that is something I could never go without.
The market has gone up and down with housing booms and slowdowns....high and low interest rates and now rapidly rising prices.
One thing that has never changed is my ability to find an abundance of work throughout the years........never been laid off....although sometimes i could have used a break.
Anyway...I will never sell my house....no better place out there for us. We've been here since just before the blizzard of '78... lost power for ten days......but as young newlyweds we hardly noticed.

Hoping to pass the property on to my kids when I leave...
Picture is after a snowstorm a couple of years back

Old 05-08-2022, 06:12 AM   #75
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
And I believe most trailer parks the people don't own the land at the end of the day so it equates to a pretty darn expensive camper and campsite
You are correct, $410K for the unit itself and that park is $595.00 a month for the land lease. They do cut your grass, mulch your beds, trim bushes/trees, remove snow from driveway and walk ways and provide trash removal .hey do not have a basement being a trailer and there are so many restrictions but I suppose they are fine for the people that buy them....not for me. I build a lot of these parks and we currently have a waiting list of over 12 months to get a new unit.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:37 AM   #76
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
20 years from now that will be a million dollar house. People were saying this back in 2002 when there was a big boom in prices. Back then that house would have been around 300k.
I dont think the cost of building a new home will level out anytime soon....Its been rising rapidly...especially in the last two years.
Same house we were selling then...went from the high $300 thousand range to now low $600,000 dollars. Our other developments with larger lots and houses are already close to or over a million.

Most likely material prices will continue to increase dramatically over the next few years......and it appears to be closely related to energy costs and policies.

At this point it doesnt seem possible that either one of my two sons, who both work hard at decent jobs will ever be able to afford even a modest new home.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:45 AM   #77
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
We bought our land for $7,500 and build our house for $33k. All back in 73, 74. We were recently offered $1.3M. INSANE!!!

The problem is where the hell do you go if you sell? Very limited inventory and prices, as everyone has pointed out, are sky high.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:17 AM   #78
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
We bought our land for $7,500 and build our house for $33k. All back in 73, 74. We were recently offered $1.3M. INSANE!!!

The problem is where the hell do you go if you sell? Very limited inventory and prices, as everyone has pointed out, are sky high.
You don’t go anywhere. You stay put and enjoy your kingdom
Old 05-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #79
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
You don’t go anywhere. You stay put and enjoy your kingdom
Yup! That's what Jeanne says.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #80
Rmarsh

Our new subdivision with 28 house lots will be selling out quickly!
These are smaller homes on smaller lots than we normally have done in the past.... and they are going up fast. I believe they are priced starting in the low $600,000's....crazy!
Before we started on it, a few months ago, my boss wanted reassurance that I wouldnt be retiring this year.

I have spent the last 49 years working in constuction and the wear and tear on my hands is severe, and its becoming more difficult using them , going to hang in to make it a nice round figure of 50 years next June. In the meantime I would like to tutor one of our younger guys on cabinet installation.

Sometimes when I observe the methods of work these kids use i just shake my head....when I know much better ways...but dont want to be overbearing or be the "know it all". If they ask thats different and I am always willing to share what I've learned.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:58 AM   #81
Guppy
User

Grind the trash ! ?
Hell of an idea….
Good read Bob….

and slow down before you stop please…..
Old 06-30-2022, 04:52 AM   #82
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Grind the trash ! ?
Hell of an idea….
Good read Bob….

and slow down before you stop please…..

Thanks Ray....yeah the grinder.....we're trying something new......the 30 yard dumpsters can fill up in a matter of hours around here....helped along by private donations.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #83
Rmarsh

With the recent rise in interest rates and historic inflation....we are expecting a big drop off in our new home sales. Not a concern for me personally as I am planning on working less....not retiring......just cutting back on work and spend more time doing what I like.

Besides when we are not building homes we have lots of commercial properties that need retrofitting. Never been laid off or out of work since I started in the trade.

In June of next year, it will be fifty years that I have been building homes.... looking forward to that milestone as a finish line, after which I will defer my responsibilities to the youngsters.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:22 AM   #84
Rmarsh

Another year has flown by....we were busier than ever....so many houses at such a fast pace. I'm exhausted and barely noticed time marching on.
Subdivision with about fifty houses filled up fast.....As I drive through I cant recall working on them...but know I did.
The year end cash bonuses reflect how appreciative our employer is....but I really want to slow down at some point in the near future. Four of my brothers have already retired.....but are bored silly.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:01 AM   #85
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

[QUOTEh...but I really want to slow down at some point in the near future. Four of my brothers have already retired.....but are bored silly.[/QUOTE]

...and that's why I keep working. You can't just sit around if you worked hard all your life.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:12 AM   #86
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Never understood the caution about being bored in retirement, between golf, fishing, carving, maintaining two homes and family, I don’t have time to be bored.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #87
Rmarsh

Quote:
Never understood the caution about being bored in retirement, between golf, fishing, carving, maintaining two homes and
family, I don’t have time to be bored.
I too have hobbies and a home to maintain.....but having had the same routine of getting up and dressed and lunch made before sunrise and a job that I have loved and excelled at for all these years is a hard habit to break. Nice that you made the adjustment so easily. I'll have to make the transition and leave it all behind.....but not until I have to.
I have four brothers that have retired.....one has a high powered telescope and takes pictures of distant galaxies for his fun.....I do like fishing and boating but it's kind of seasonal.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:50 PM   #88
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Never understood the caution about being bored in retirement, between golf, fishing, carving, maintaining two homes and family, I don’t have time to be bored.
I golf! I fish. I maintain 15 acres, a 2500 sq ft house and 4 out buildings but I like to work!!!!

Old 01-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #89
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I too have hobbies and a home to maintain.....but having had the same routine of getting up and dressed and lunch made before sunrise and a job that I have loved and excelled at for all these years is a hard habit to break. Nice that you made the adjustment so easily. I'll have to make the transition and leave it all behind.....but not until I have to.
I have four brothers that have retired.....one has a high powered telescope and takes pictures of distant galaxies for his fun.....I do like fishing and boating but it's kind of seasonal.
That won’t change, just NO pressure to get out the door… trust me LOL

How about make your own hours quality control / super for your present employer for a while,,, you know they’re gonna miss ya ….

good time of life….
Old 01-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #90
Nebe

I can’t wait to retire so I can work even harder