Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-25-2024, 06:26 AM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Frank Daignault Interview

I recently had the opportunity to sit down with Frank and Joyce Daignault to record an episode of The Surfcast Podcast. We discussed a variety of topics including fishing the beaches of Cape Cod and Rhode Island, to the introduction of the Red Gill, to what it takes to catch a 50, to raising a family on money made from commercial fishing, to fishing the rivers of Maine for Atlantic salmon. Part 1 went live this morning, with part 2 coming up on Thursday morning. Enjoy!

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 AM   #2
ivanputski
Pete K.

I loved reading anything authored by Frank...
Cant wait to take a listen...
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:25 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Awesome

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:17 AM   #4
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I met Frank in the early 70s at the legendary Murats. I had the opportunity to fish The Back and Nauset with Frank before it all went to hell.

Great stuff Toby!!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:38 AM   #5
pbadad

Awesome interview. Striper Surf was my first read . Our club offered all his books for members to read. Love his Frankism's.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:37 AM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I sent T_man7 all of Franks books except his first one, 20 years on the Cape. In my opinion, one of the 5 best Striper fishing books ever written.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:34 AM   #7
PaulS

Every SB fisherman starting out should read his books.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:56 PM   #8
hq2

Question

When I first started fishing for stripers I read his books. His book on various locations was very helpful; gave me great intel on where to go and what to use. He was in on the great premoratorium fishing in the 60s and early 70s; wrote great stories about it.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:04 PM   #9
redlite

Amazingly I have read only 2 fishing books my whole life. One was I think "on the run" about some dude up and down the coast and the other was "20 years on the cape". Both after I had already been doin/ living like them both for a long time in hopes of finding a secret that I hadn't already learned that would lead me to the ping pong table sized pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They were both enjoyable and boiled down to what I had already figured out by then. Nothing can replace experience and sacrificing everything else in your life, and actually being out there just doing it.
Look forward to finding the time to listen to this
Toby. By chance I reconnected with one of my old school backside crew guys this past season. Was emotionally satisfying to find out the status of the old timers that I learned so much from and have never stopped wondering about their existence since things went south down there. An interesting project would be for somehow, if they would be willing, get you to do sit downs with them before they are gone and their lifetimes of knowledge lost. They were the real deal silent warriors out there. Many were "the other dude" in stories we have all heard of legendary nites and catches that never were or wanted to be mentioned or remembered. They fished for their own personal glory with nothing to prove. Just pure passion for the game.
Glad u taking the time to make things about the good ole days.
Like your moniker has always said,
Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

I have taken that to heart every time I see a post from you my old friend
And Krispy says yooooo
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:31 AM   #10
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
An interesting project would be for somehow, if they would be willing, get you to do sit downs with them before they are gone and their lifetimes of knowledge lost. They were the real deal silent warriors out there. Many were "the other dude" in stories we have all heard of legendary nites and catches that never were or wanted to be mentioned or remembered. They fished for their own personal glory with nothing to prove. Just pure passion for the game.
Interesting that you say this, we are working on getting connected with a certain old school Cape legend that I believe you fished with some time ago. He hasn't done anything whatsoever publicly as far as I know, but everyone knows of his abilities and accomplishments. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Part 2 of this interview debuts Thursday morning, I'll post it up once it goes live.

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:08 AM   #11
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Interesting that you say this, we are working on getting connected with a certain old school Cape legend that I believe you fished with some time ago. He hasn't done anything whatsoever publicly as far as I know, but everyone knows of his abilities and accomplishments. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Part 2 of this interview debuts Thursday morning, I'll post it up once it goes live.
Say HI for me. Mention Lanny and he'll light up.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:29 AM   #12
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Every SB fisherman starting out should read his books.
They only read the online reports of where the bite might be happening.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:27 AM   #13
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Here is part 2 of the interview:

- a wise man.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Great stuff Toby. Thanks for doing this!

Old 04-01-2024, 07:26 AM   #15
saltyric

Fantastic. Loved reading Franks books over the years

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:05 AM   #16
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post

Tony perhaps ?

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:26 PM   #17
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
Tony perhaps ?
YUP!

Old 04-01-2024, 09:56 PM   #18
SAUERKRAUT
surfwalker

Daignault Podcast

Thank you for this Podcast sharing.
SAUERKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:23 PM   #19
redlite

Man Toby, in all the years we known each other, I always imagined this would be your calling, and yet never knew u had a podcast, mainly as too busy since stepping away. Muy bueno
Amazigly my paths never crossed with frank, but wish they had. Pretty cool listen and I could feel the pain in his and his wife's souls not being able to still be after it.
And if in fact next is with the "beast of the beach", his life story to the surf casting world is well over due. unknowingly to most, he is humbly responsibly for pioneering much of what we use and know about catching striped bass. A life time achievement and an interview more anticipated than Avatar
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:34 AM   #20
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Man Toby, in all the years we known each other, I always imagined this would be your calling, and yet never knew u had a podcast, mainly as too busy since stepping away. Muy bueno
Amazigly my paths never crossed with frank, but wish they had. Pretty cool listen and I could feel the pain in his and his wife's souls not being able to still be after it.
And if in fact next is with the "beast of the beach", his life story to the surf casting world is well over due. unknowingly to most, he is humbly responsibly for pioneering much of what we use and know about catching striped bass. A life time achievement and an interview more anticipated than Avatar
Thanks for the kind words, Mike! The podcast has been a lot of work but quite fun as it affords me time to regularly talk surf since my current magazine employment focuses more on the green bass world than that of the seven striped one. Being able to sit down with Frank and Joyce was a goal of the podcast from the start as I regularly speak with them both. TC would be amazing as well, hopefully it comes to fruition.

- a wise man.

Old 04-02-2024, 03:14 PM   #21
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
Tony perhaps ?
We speak a couple of times a week.90% of the time it's atleast an hour and more.Lots of "back in the day" and how we changed and adapted all kinds of rigs,lures,etc from the intended design. He's slowed down but the new season approaching has got the juices flowing and getting ready to wet a line.
Humble he is.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote