Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Layout dimensions and weighting

Struggling with the testing. Fair amount of slush and ice in the harbor. Been down casting a couple times. Have to find a better way of attaching weights to body, as I am losing the weight more often then not.

Looking to assemble a library of approximate layouts, weighting and dimensions for as many plugs as I can get a hold of. Baselines to start with, not your final holy grail... The weighting options are throwing me for a loop. Not trying to knockoff anyone, just looking for some guidance on weight amounts and placement. I suck at R&D...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

When I'm test weighting I use 3M scotch tape, for whatever reason it sticks to the plugs really well.

I'm not usually looking for casting distance but more how the plug swims, rolls, etc.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Raven

ever seen those lead weight strips they attach to golf clubs

they have peel and stick ...for easy push on pull off
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Going to do a search for some of those x-ray pics of plugs, as well as some of templates/layouts/dimensions. Otherwise I'm gonna have a bunch of plugs run through the bandsaw....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Ross I have dimensions on tons of plugs. By most of the who's who of plugbuilding. Not a lot of the last 10 to 15 years guys but the guys before that which is what interests me most. Put all my own stuff down on paper too as I forget way too much and I suggest you do the same. Enough to keep you busy for years. Dim., weighting, lips, etc.. All in my special note book. I will bring it to plugfest and you can copy away. But I don't lend it out. It has been kind of a mission I've been on. I have been lucky enough to borrow 100's of plugs, been helped by some very smart and helpful guys and have access to 100's more if and when I need them. You are welcome to look and copy. One of those hand scanners would be helpful. Now getting them to swim and produce will be the challenge but I can at least get you on the dance floor with some of them.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks, Paul. I will take you up on that. Need to put more memory in the camera.....

Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
pbadad

Thumbs up

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...89-cowboy.html

Check out the picture I posted a couple years ago on placing weights for testing with #4 screws and lead stick on wheel weights. they come in 7 gram segments. Cut to smaller if needed. drill hole in middle and make an awl hole in body in differtent spots. In harder wood I pre drill the holes. Once I fund the sweet spot mark on paper. Fill holes in body not used.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
stripermaineiac

One part of testing that I've found that needs more attention is when plug is done the weigth between paint ,epoxy and hooks changes drasticly compared to what the plug is like just sealed. An oldtimer told me to do it right make 12 bodies. Set up 2 with weights inplace and float in the tub to see how they set. Then finish them complete and test again to get boyancy tested so you'll see how the plug floats. There will be a difference. Take out and cast an retreive them.Keep good notes.take 2 more plugs-making sure you mark all so you don't mix them up,then try relocating weights keepin good notes on location of weights and depth in plug.Float test then finish and repeat float test.Go cast them and see the difference in how they run.You now have a very good base line to decide what you will want to do with the plug to make it swim deeper or track higher. The info you'll have will give you what you need for any plug of a simmilar style as far as how much difference each relocation made on how the plug acts.Something as simple as placing a heavier weight in front of a lighter one will make a huge diff on how a plug works.The other 8 you have left you can copy the best plug you like and make some to play with. Have fun with it but taking the time does have some fantastic benefits. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote