Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Jim in CT

FLorida Congressman likens Tea Party to the Klan...

This is an elected official, a member of the House Of Represenatatives...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...burning-cross/
Old 10-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
buckman

I'm not the least bit surprised
Jim .
The hate spewing out of the left amazes me. The secretary of health just said yesterday that she doesn't work for the people that oppose Obamacare. I don't hate any of them but I am getting angry with all of them!
They have made those with opposing viewpoints the enemy!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm not the least bit surprised
Jim .
The hate spewing out of the left amazes me.They have made those with opposing viewpoints the enemy!
That is funny, bc the hate on the right amazes me. Look at Jim for example. He is constantly starting posts showing how much hate he has for anyone with a view different than his. This summer I saw people on highway overpasses spewing the most hatefull things about our president. You had a huge % of the right believing the Pres. was Muslim and was not an American w/o any evidence. What % of the right and of the TP where birthers?

I just saw someone call people idiots - how much hate is in that person?

I've never seen such hate.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
That is funny, bc the hate on the right amazes me. Look at Jim for example. He is constantly starting posts showing how much hate he has for anyone with a view different than his. This summer I saw people on highway overpasses spewing the most hatefull things about our president. You had a huge % of the right believing the Pres. was Muslim and was not an American w/o any evidence. What % of the right and of the TP where birthers?

The only reason you bring up the Muslim thing is that the media likes to portray the right is extremists.
It's been drilled into your head.
I believe the right is a much more tolerant group then the far left.
Truth be told Paul, you would be calling for the right to criticize this guy if he had an R next to his name .
The lefts method of demonizing it's opponent is disgraceful.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
The only reason you bring up the Muslim thing is that the media likes to portray the right is extremists.
Truth be told Paul, you would be calling for the right to criticize this guy if he had an R next to his name .
So saying a Christian is a Muslim doesn't qualify as an extremist and isn't disgraceful? I never have viewed the right as extremist in the past but over the last 5 years they have been pushed there more and more. There is an "extreme" right and left. I believe the one on the right has gotten much, much larger over those 5 years - .

I've voted for plenty of Rs in my life and if I criticize someone, it certainly would never go to the level of lying about their birth or love of country.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
buckman

Quote:
So saying a Christian is a Muslim doesn't qualify as an extremist and isn't disgraceful? I never have viewed the right as extremist in the past but over the last 5 years they have been pushed there more and more. There is an "extreme" right and left. I believe the one on the right has gotten much, much larger over those 5 years - .

I've voted for plenty of Rs in my life and if I criticize someone, it certainly would never go to the level of lying about their birth or love of country.
First of all ,I don't consider being a Muslim a horrible thing either. There are good people and there are bad people of all faiths and nationalities.
I dont think anybody lied about his birth.
I think there are people that questioned where he was born because of the ambiguous way his birth certificates have come to light.
Kind of like his education
Old 10-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
PaulS

Quote:
First of all ,I don't consider being a Muslim a horrible thing eitherI hope I didn't imply that you did.. There are good people and there are bad people of all faiths and nationalities.
I dont think anybody lied about his birth.
I think there are people that questioned where he was born because of the ambiguous way his birth certificates have come to light.
Kind of like his education
Fair points.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:

"You had a huge % of the right believing the Pres. was Muslim and was not an American w/o any evidence."

What %? You say it's a huge percentage? Based on what data?

Paul, we certainly have our share of kooks and jerks on our side. The difference is, (1) I call them out as being jerks and kooks, and (2) we aren't as prone as Democrats to sending our kooks and jerks to Congress. We do a better job, I think, of keeping them on the margins, rather than electing them.

"He is constantly starting posts showing how much hate he has for anyone with a view different than his."

I don't hate liberals for whet they believe. I hate their repeated tactic of dodging the issues (which they do because their positions are indefensible) and crying 'racist' at every turn. This is a prime example of that. Instead of saying anything about Alan Grayson, you tried to male this about me. Classic liberal dodge.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
So saying a Christian is a Muslim doesn't qualify as an extremist and isn't disgraceful? .
Anyone who says Obama is a Muslim, is an idiot.

A I have said, I WISH he was a Muslim. Because Islam is a lot easier to understand that whatever religion Obama embraced in the "church" of Reverend Wright for 20 years. There, he embraced the most racist, anti-American, dishonest, deranged, hate-filled bile one can imagine. And this is the man Obama referred to as his "spiritual mentor', until it was politically advantageous for Obama to throw him under the bus. Principles!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
scottw

Quote:

yeah...that's remarkably frequent use of "hate" for one post...seems a little obsessive, you should get that looked at

apparently racism and hate are the favorite words of leftist with not much more to say...and you don't even have to provide any evidence ... Spence is apparently still searching for that one example.. and Paul...."I saw a guy on an overpass spewing hate" ...really???....good grief...your president and his fellow travelers just spent weeks referring to anyone that opposed them as terrorists in every possible way, this has become routine...they set the standard..I suspect more Americans saw that than saw the dude on the overpass....I will provide many examples if you'd like but you know that it's true.....two words with serious meanings have become casual language for the frustrated left it would be great if they held themselves and those that they support to the standards that they have for others who they have obvious disdain(you might even say.... hate...for )due to political differences
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yeah...that's remarkably frequent use of "hate" for one post...seems a little obsessive, you should get that looked at
Obsessive is following Spence around like a little poodle
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"You had a huge % of the right believing the Pres. was Muslim and was not an American w/o any evidence."

What %? You say it's a huge percentage? Based on what data?
From a quick search

http://www.mediaite.com/online/new-p...ama-is-muslim/

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshge...as_Muslim.html
Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
buckman

I find this all humorous, based on how much of an issue liberal Democrats and the media made of Romney being a Mormon .
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Paul, a few things..

(1) I am embarassed that any Republican would think that Obama is a Muslim, given that there is zero evidence of that. And that's a difference between you and I. I call out the kooks on my side, whereas you have not criticized COngreessman Grayson. Maybe you agree with him, that the Tea Party is the equivalent of the Klan. I don't know, because despite all your replies on this post, you haven't commented on the subject that started the thread.

(2) there is no way that 46% of the GOP thinks he is a Muslim. It can't be that high.

(3) if he were a Muslim, that would be preferable to whatever religion he actually is. Islam is way preferable to whatever name you want to give to the hate spewed in Wright's "church" for 20 years. Calling Obama a Muslim is, in my opinion, an insult to Islam. I know lots of Muslims who are a lot less hateful and divisive than Obama is.

Obama called Rev Wright his 'spiritual mentor'. That necessarily means, that Obama is a disciple of lies, hate and racism, not Christianity. No one, and I mean no one, who embraces Rev Wright's bile is a Christian. Let's be honest enough to admit that Obama didn't abandon Rev Wright until it became professionally profitable for him to do so. Obama will claim to embrace whatever he needs to embrace, in order to get the next station in life that he feels he is entitled to.

Obama threw Wright under the bus, and switched to mainstream Christianity, when David Axlerod pointed out his polling numbers during the 2008 campaign. It was a political ploy (or a spectacular coincidence of timing). That doesn't qualify as genuine Christianity in my book.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-28-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, a few things..

(1) I am embarassed that any Republican would think that Obama is a Muslim, given that there is zero evidence of that. And that's a difference between you and I. I call out the kooks on my side, whereas you have not criticized COngreessman Grayson. Maybe you agree with him, that the Tea Party is the equivalent of the Klan. I don't know, because despite all your replies on this post, you haven't commented on the subject that started the thread.
I think he is a nut. Same as A. West. You defended West recently. I'm not defending Grayson and have not defended 1 stupid statement from anyone on the left.

This is the same discussion we have had many times. It is not my job to call out or crit. all crazy statement on the left just as I don't expect you to call out/crit. all crazy statements on the right. The difference is that any time you see a statement by anyone on the left you don't like, you start a thread and at some point state that you haven't seen anyone who you think is on the right calling that person out and then you say that the right must agree with the crazy statement.

So should I assume that you must believe that crazy statement Backmann said linking the bird flu and Obama?

(of course not)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think he is a nut. Same as A. West. You defended West recently. I'm not defending Grayson and have not defended 1 stupid statement from anyone on the left.

This is the same discussion we have had many times. It is not my job to call out or crit. all crazy statement on the left just as I don't expect you to call out/crit. all crazy statements on the right. The difference is that any time you see a statement by anyone on the left you don't like, you start a thread and at some point state that you haven't seen anyone who you think is on the right calling that person out and then you say that the right must agree with the crazy statement.

So should I assume that you must believe that crazy statement Backmann said linking the bird flu and Obama?

(of course not)
"You defended West recently"

I said West's comments do more harm than good, and that he says kooky things. I did say that I agree with West on most major issues and that he is a patriot, but I do not defend everything he says.

Here is the difference Paul...while I fully agree with you that I can't rightly paint all liberals with the same brush, I am 100% confident that liberals spend WAY more time on personal attacks, and way less time having an honest discussion of the issues. There are hate-mongers on my side, no doubt. But it's not nearly as pervasive as it is on your side. Because we have the better argument on the issues, we don't need to launch attacks.

Starts with Obama. There has never been a president as petty or vindictive or divisive, there has never been a president with so much disdain for those on the other side. Bush didn't call liberals terrorists or racists, he didn't say they "cling" to their beliefs because they are warped, he didn't say liberals should sit in the back of the bus, I could go on and on and on...

There isn't a Republican congressman in Washington, who is the equivalent of Alan Greyson. Why is that? Grayson said that Republicans' idea of healthcare is that we want sick people to die.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT;1019414Here is the difference Paul...while I fully agree with you that I can't rightly paint all liberals with the same brush[COLOR="Red"
That isn't what you do?[/COLOR], I am 100% confident that liberals spend WAY more time on personal attacks, and way less time having an honest discussion of the issues. There are hate-mongers on my side, no doubt. But it's not nearly as pervasive as it is on your sideSo you think saying the Pres. doesn't love the country, wasn't born here or is a Muslim isn't hate mongering?. Because we have the better argument on the issues, we don't need to launch attacks.
Maybe you need to count threads on this forum and see who makes the most personal attacks.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Paul S -

"So you think saying the Pres. doesn't love the country, wasn't born here or is a Muslim isn't hate mongering?. "

Paul, there is compelling evidence for a rational person (not merely someone blinded by hate) to suggest that Obama despises the principles this country was founded upon. Obama's wife doesn't like the country (she said she wasn't proud of it until her hubby got the nomination). Obama's political mentor, Bill Ayers, is a domestic terrorist who clearly hates the country. Obama's spiritual mentor, Reverend Wright, is a deranged lunatic who clearly hates the country.

If Obama's (1) wife, (2) political mentor, and (3) spiritual mentor are all radicals, why is it racist or hateful to comclude that Obama is one as well? Heck, why is that even a controversial thing to say? Where am I wrong about Michelle, Bill, or Jeremiah?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Fly Rod

Quote:

(of course not)

U really have to excuse senator Bachmann....she was under the influrence of "Golden Triangle Pot."... very potent...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:
I find this all humorous, based on how much of an issue liberal Democrats and the media made of Romney being a Mormon .
humorous and dumb

headline...Poll: 46% of GOP thinks Obama's Muslim

article..."The Time GOP number isn't posted on the Web, as best I can tell, but a spokeswoman for the magazine shared the breakdown of the data at my request.

Time had 1002 respondents, talked to 295 Republicans and reduced that number to 272 to reweight the poll."
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Anyone who says Obama is a Muslim, is an idiot.
“Let’s not play games,” Obama said. “What I was suggesting — you’re absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you’re absolutely right that that has not come.”

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, “Christian faith.”

errrrr...“My Christian faith,” Mr. Obama said quickly.

“Well, what I’m saying is that he hasn’t suggested that I’m a Muslim. And I think that his campaign’s upper echelons have not, either. What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I’m not who I say I am when it comes to my faith — something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time.”

par for the course

probably better for the O faithful to talk about this stuff than what's actually going on

Last edited by scottw; 10-28-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
So true, nicely said

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
humorous and dumb

headline...Poll: 46% of GOP thinks Obama's Muslim

article..."The Time GOP number isn't posted on the Web, as best I can tell, but a spokeswoman for the magazine shared the breakdown of the data at my request.

Time had 1002 respondents, talked to 295 Republicans and reduced that number to 272 to reweight the poll."
And if you read down further, 31% seemed to be a more reasonable number...

I bet if I went to the other forum and polled the conservatives there, I'd get >50%, but that place almost makes you and Jim seem reasonable

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
And if you read down further, 31% seemed to be a more reasonable number...+- 4.5% so maybe even more "reasonable" but a far cry from "a huge %" isn't it?...was Paul "unreasonable" for suggesting that???

I bet if I went to the other forum and polled the conservatives there, I'd get >50%, but that place almost makes you and Jim seem reasonable
I bet you wouldn't and I'll give you +- 4.5%... go ahead and let me know what you come up with...

if you read down a little further into the comments you will find a couple that hit it right on the head

"Any Republican, if polled, knowing that this issue irks the Democrats, would say they think President Obama is a Muslim,even though they dont beleive it, just to annoy the Democratic base, and perpetuate false information, for which we know, they do, as a matter of policy."

"You conveniently forget to mention that 10% of all Democrats think he's Muslim and 41% don"t know what religion he belongs to. 18% of Independants think he's muslim and 44% don't know. let's paint the whole picture."

Last edited by scottw; 10-28-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I bet you wouldn't and I'll give you +- 4.5%... go ahead and let me know what you come up with...

if you read down a little further into the comments you will find a couple that hit it right on the head

"Any Republican, if polled, knowing that this issue irks the Democrats, would say they think President Obama is a Muslim,even though they dont beleive it, just to annoy the Democratic base, and perpetuate false information, for which we know, they do, as a matter of policy."

"You conveniently forget to mention that 10% of all Democrats think he's Muslim and 41% don"t know what religion he belongs to. 18% of Independants think he's muslim and 44% don't know. let's paint the whole picture."
So your point is the average voters of all parties are idiots. well that's newsworthy!

You are probably right, that 50% over there is hyperbole, but given the amount of time the chief posters there seem to be online, they must know everything on the internet anyways. still a scary place...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So your point is the average voters of all parties are idiots. well that's newsworthy! I don't believe that and I have no idea how you come to that conclusion, I didn't even remotely suggest it and Paul would be greatly offended by the use of "idiots", you should apologize

You are probably right, that 50% over there is hyperbole, but given the amount of time the chief posters there seem to be online, they must know everything on the internet anyways. still a scary place...
I've not been to this scary place that you speak of but you seem to know an awful lot about it for someone who is so frightened by what?...the discussion? the hyperbole? the idiots who might disagree with you and who are therefore unreasonable or even less reasonable than the unreasonable idiots here that disagree with you?

I'm scared and offended that some will make certain claims or statements that are absurd, provocative and insubstantial and that they often can't or won't defend and then feign indignation or attack or dismiss anyone who points out that fact as unreasonable idiots and scary racist haters but this seems to be a trend from our dear leader on down

if you want to be scared or frightened by something you should look at the fiscal condition of the country and the direction we're headed and the folks that are running things who think they know everything they have much more power over your future than a handful of nitwits on a forum yapping it up

Last edited by scottw; 10-29-2013 at 05:28 AM..