Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
zimmy

primaries

"I am extremely disappointed that a candidate like Corey Stewart could win the Republican nomination for US Senate," former Virginia Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling tweeted. "This is clearly not the Republican Party I once knew, loved and proudly served. Every time I think things can't get worse they do, and there is no end in sight."

No doubt.
This is not the party of Reagan, Bush 1, or even Bush 2.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
spence

Hell, Trump has said more racist and bigoted things than Stewart and he was the presidency. Welcome to the new GOP.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Hey, we nominated a witch to run for the senate in 2010, right? That was at least as bad. Politics is often a dirty, dirty business.

Zimmy, Spence, I have news for you. There are hundreds and hundreds of Republicans running for US Congress in the midterms. I wish I could say with a straight face, that all of them are good people. They won't be. However, that only says so much about "the Republican party", which is more than Trump, more than the few hundred who run for Congress. There are tens of millions of registered Republicans. Voting for a candidate, is not an endorsement of everything that candidate says or does.

Bill Clinton recently said rules on 'what you can do to somebody against their will' have changed. Zimmy and Spence, are you responsible for that disgusting statement? Does that statement say anything about you at all?

Didn't think so.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Jim in CT

You also conveniently left out that the National Republican Senatorial Committee (the national GOP group that focuses on US senate races) has refused to endorse Stewart, and have said that they won't spend any money on his race.

The people of VA made an odd choice. It seems that "The Republican Party" wants little to do with the guy. It's probably a gift to the democrats in VA, both in the US Senate race as well as downticket.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Hey, we nominated a witch to run for the senate in 2010, right?
If the "witch" was Christine O'Donnell, I think her political viewpoint pretty much mirrors some of the ones I see here. On the right.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
If the "witch" was Christine O'Donnell, I think her political viewpoint pretty much mirrors some of the ones I see here. On the right.
I don't think he is disagreeing with you.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2018 at 12:33 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
zimmy

Quote:
You also conveniently left out that the National Republican Senatorial Committee (the national GOP group that focuses on US senate races) has refused to endorse Stewart, and have said that they won't spend any money on his race.
I think that is part of the point. Also, I conveniently left out every other thought that exists in the universe. You should probably point out those things as well. Here is something else I conveniently left out:

The reproductive activity of the two-toed sloth does not show any seasonality like the three-toed sloth.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Hey, we nominated a witch to run for the senate in 2010, right? That was at least as bad. Politics is often a dirty, dirty business.
She wasn't a witch Jim.

Quote:
Zimmy, Spence, I have news for you. There are hundreds and hundreds of Republicans running for US Congress in the midterms. I wish I could say with a straight face, that all of them are good people. They won't be. However, that only says so much about "the Republican party", which is more than Trump, more than the few hundred who run for Congress. There are tens of millions of registered Republicans. Voting for a candidate, is not an endorsement of everything that candidate says or does.
He was endorsed by the POTUS who's the de facto leader of the Republican party. Just shows that Trump would rather have extreme Trumpist candidates rather than actually win races.

Quote:
Bill Clinton recently said rules on 'what you can do to somebody against their will' have changed. Zimmy and Spence, are you responsible for that disgusting statement? Does that statement say anything about you at all?
It was a clumsy statement but put in context he clearly wasn't saying there ever was a time it was ok.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I think that is part of the point. Also, I conveniently left out every other thought that exists in the universe. You should probably point out those things as well. Here is something else I conveniently left out:

The reproductive activity of the two-toed sloth does not show any seasonality like the three-toed sloth.
" conveniently left out every other thought that exists in the universe"

That's true, and also funny. But your post was obviously crafted to imply that because a person of low character was nominated in one specific race, that "the Republican Party" isn't what it used to be. The fact that the GOP Senate Committee wants nothing to do with the guy, suggests to me (pretty clearly) that the GOP isn't turning into a party of Corey Stewarts.

Black unemployment is at an all-time low. If Trump is a racist, it would appear that he's not a very good racist. Not like Robert Byrd, whose presence as a democrat in the Senate for 350 years, somehow didn't paint the democrats with the same broad brush you seem willing to paint the GOP with.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

It was a clumsy statement but put in context he clearly wasn't saying there ever was a time it was ok.
If only Hitler had you as his PR spin guy in 1935. Whenever a democrat says something sinister, you dismiss it as clumsy, or taken out of context. Always. They're never just bad people like Trump is, not ever.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
She wasn't a witch Jim.

He was endorsed by the POTUS who's the de facto leader of the Republican party. Just shows that Trump would rather have extreme Trumpist candidates rather than actually win races.

Trump is the leader of the party, I agree. But he isn't the party, nor is Corey Stewart. "The party" is the people who believe life is sacred, that liberty is sacred, that we have a responsibility to help the less fortunate, and that government should be no larger than necessary to do the small number of things we need government to do. All of the tens of millions of people who believe these things, they are the GOP.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Didn't think so.
I think you could have quoted this sentence just as easily:And I think that all of us should just be focusing on how to do better and how to go forward.
But of course it doesn't fit your agenda on making anyone who is center or left, bad.
Here is the full question and answer
JUDY WOODRUFF, PBS NEWSHOUR: I assume you think that what happened with you was more serious than what happened with Senator — former Senator Al Franken.

He was driven from office, from the U.S. Senate. So, norms have changed. Do you think that’s a good thing?
FORMER PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON: Well, in general, I think it’s a good thing, yes.

I think it’s a good thing that we should all have higher standards. I think the norms have really changed in terms of, what you can do to somebody against their will, how much you can crowd their space, make them miserable at work.

You don’t have to physically assault somebody to make them, you know, uncomfortable at work or at home or in their other — just walking around. That, I think, is good.

I think that — I will be honest — the Franken case, for me, was a difficult case, a hard case. There may be things I don’t know. But I — maybe I’m just an old-fashioned person, but it seemed to me that there were 29 women on “Saturday Night Live” that put out a statement for him, and that the first and most fantastic story was called, I believe, into question.

Too late to wade into it now. I mean, I think it’s a grievous thing to take away from the people a decision they have made, especially when there is an election coming up again. But it’s done now.

And I think that all of us should just be focusing on how to do better and how to go forward.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
If only Hitler had you as his PR spin guy in 1935. Whenever a democrat says something sinister, you dismiss it as clumsy, or taken out of context. Always. They're never just bad people like Trump is, not ever.
Jim, here's a little process to help you out.

1) Read something
2) Table emotional response for the moment
3) Look up context for what you read
4) Verify sources
5) Think critically
6) Form opinion

Please.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Nebe

Love thy neighbor, look out for th poor, do on to others. What values are these and does the GOP uphold these values ? If not, who does ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
zimmy

Quote:
" conveniently left out every other thought that exists in the universe"

That's true, and also funny. But your post was obviously crafted to imply that because a person of low character was nominated in one specific race, that "the Republican Party" isn't what it used to be.
No, this isn't about one specific race. It is a trend, which is why Bolling said what he said.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

Probably because it takes them three weeks to rub one out
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Old 06-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, this isn't about one specific race. It is a trend, which is why Bolling said what he said.
At the State of The Union, which side stood up and cheered low black unemployment, which side sat there with scowls on their faces?

The only trend, is the downward trend of elected seats held by democrats.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
At the State of The Union, which side stood up and cheered low black unemployment, which side sat there with scowls on their faces?

And you know exactly what was going on, just like the state of the unions for the last president.
I suppose the republicans sat then because the president was black?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #19
zimmy

Quote:
No, that is a trend you want to acknowledge. There is also a trend that the majority of American's vote for a Democrat for president. Lots of trends out there we could bring up. Don't get me started on trends in the sloth community. Doesn't mean there is not a trend in the type of candidates nominated in the republican party. There is, as is acknowledge by the former Republican Lt. Gov.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, that is a trend you want to acknowledge. There is also a trend that the majority of American's vote for a Democrat for president. Lots of trends out there we could bring up. Don't get me started on trends in the sloth community. Doesn't mean there is not a trend in the type of candidates nominated in the republican party. There is, as is acknowledge by the former Republican Lt. Gov.
"There is also a trend that the majority of American's vote for a Democrat for president"

Utterly meaningless, as Trump didn't waste his time in NYC or California because of the electoral college. If it was a popular vote, he would have campaigned differently, and who knows how it would have turned out. I can't say he would have won, you can't say he would have lost.

If you count votes in a way other than the one way which determines the winner, Hilary won. Big whoop.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Doesn't mean there is not a trend in the type of candidates nominated in the republican party. There is, as is acknowledge by the former Republican Lt. Gov.
"Doesn't mean there is not a trend in the type of candidates nominated in the republican party."

Show me the evidence that there is a "trend", and not just a few jerks here and there.

"as is acknowledge by the former Republican Lt. Gov"

and that's good enough for you? How do you know that he is qualified to correctly identify what's a trend, and what's not? Answer - you agree with what he said, therefore it's true.

There's no shortage of jerks on my side, no question. Are there more than there used to be? Maybe, maybe not. Just because one guy says so, sure doesn't make it true.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you count votes in a way other than the one way which determines the winner, Hilary won. Big whoop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hill.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	65325  

Old 06-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And you know exactly what was going on, just like the state of the unions for the last president.
I suppose the republicans sat then because the president was black?
Have you noticed pretty much everything Jim says critical of Dems the Repubs have done just as much of if not more? For as much as he says he despises the President's personality he sure acts quite like him.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Have you noticed pretty much everything Jim says critical of Dems the Repubs have done just as much of if not more? For as much as he says he despises the President's personality he sure acts quite like him.
"Have you noticed pretty much everything Jim says critical of Dems the Repubs have done just as much of if not more?"

I have said again and again, there is tons of hypocrisy among Republican politicians.

"For as much as he says he despises the President's personality he sure acts quite like him"

ZINNNGGG, boy you sure got me with that one.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #25
scottw

there are at least 10 whack job democrats already elected and being repeatedly re-elected for every whack job republican trying to get elected
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
the line to buy hillurys book is pretty short