Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump to meet with Putin

In less than 2 weeks the President will meet with Vladimir Putin.
There was an interesting interview on NPR with a former ambassador the other day.
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/03/62562...mit-with-putin
His insight into Putin is interesting, regardless of whether you like his view of Trump.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
spence

I'm sure we'll get another round of "I asked him if Russia meddled in the election and Putin said they didn't so what do you want me to do?"

Considering Trump's remarks on Crimea and NATO I'm not sure what Trump is looking for from Putin other than keeping the pee tape locked up.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
In less than 2 weeks the President will meet with Vladimir Putin.
There was an interesting interview on NPR with a former ambassador the other day.
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/03/62562...mit-with-putin
His insight into Putin is interesting, regardless of whether you like his view of Trump.
Should be quite an event, like a political version of a WWF championship bout--the Nazi vs. the Commie! The Gestapo vs. the KGB! Doesn't look good for the Nazi, considering past history. But maybe the Nazis learned something, and know what to look for this time. A new century rematch!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I do not see how this ends well.

Oh yeh

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
detbuch

Maybe Trump won't be a pushover for Putin. Here's a conversation over a book by Conrad Black called "A President Like No Other.":

Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
wdmso

I dont have an issue with 2 super powers talking the issue is will we know what they Talked about
Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Maybe Trump won't be a pushover for Putin. Here's a conversation over a book by Conrad Black called "A President Like No Other.":
Considering Trump seems to be more frequently on the side of Russia than the West I'm not sure how a strong position -- even if he was capable -- benefits America.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

A wanna be king meeting with a real life dictator, what could possibly go wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clown.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	65403  
Old 07-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Considering Trump seems to be more frequently on the side of Russia than the West I'm not sure how a strong position -- even if he was capable -- benefits America.
Trump is on the side of America. And America is the most important country in the "West."

I don't know what you mean by being "on the side of."

And, probably because your sources are too limited, you may not have noticed that the "West" is having major squabbles with itself in Europe. Merkel is barely hanging on to power. Austria, Italy, and the Visegrad Four are opposing Brussels' demands on immigration. Brexit. Anti-immigration parties on the rise in the Nordic countries. And the arguments are more often heated, threatening, rather than merely civil differences of opinion.

Last edited by detbuch; 07-06-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Old 07-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
A wanna be king meeting with a real life dictator, what could possibly go wrong?
And Trump is supposed to be polite, presidential, when ugly, slanderous depictions like this are constantly published by various fake news:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...3&d=1530803162
Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Trump is on the side of America. And America is the most important country in the "West."
I think he's on the side of Trump and has little respect or even understanding of the values that make America great. Everything with Trump is a winner or loser transaction in the moment. He shows no capacity for systems thinking let alone a sense of time.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think he's on the side of Trump and has little respect or even understanding of the values that make America great. Everything with Trump is a winner or loser transaction in the moment. He shows no capacity for systems thinking let alone a sense of time.
I thing you're wrong on all points.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:25 AM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump is like the brutal soccer coach and tyrannical father figure, living vicariously through his tortured boys. Sure he knows what makes a great soccer player and in theory a great team, yet knowing these things helps him achieve neither. His MO is belittling his boys, forcing them to practice until they are sore and beat physically and more so mentally. Come game time it's screaming obscenities from the sidelines at both his boys for not staying in their lanes, the opponents and the coaches; all this does little to make great soccer players or a great team. It only makes boys that can't wait for each game and practice to end, wishing daily they were old enough to quit, so they could move on to something they enjoy and make their own decisions.

Trump's team may win a few games, but the boys, their parents and their opponents will hate them due to the way they play the game. If you feel the means justify the end, well I feel sorry for you, civility and respect are something sadly missing in this administration.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
wdmso

Quote:
Trump is like the brutal soccer coach and tyrannical father figure, living vicariously through his tortured boys. Sure he knows what makes a great soccer player and in theory a great team, yet knowing these things helps him achieve neither. His MO is belittling his boys, forcing them to practice until they are sore and beat physically and more so mentally. Come game time it's screaming obscenities from the sidelines at both his boys for not staying in their lanes, the opponents and the coaches; all this does little to make great soccer players or a great team. It only makes boys that can't wait for each game and practice to end, wishing daily they were old enough to quit, so they could move on to something they enjoy and make their own decisions.

Trump's team may win a few games, but the boys, their parents and their opponents will hate them due to the way they play the game. If you feel the means justify the end, well I feel sorry for you, civility and respect are something sadly missing in this administration.
Exactly but they will insist our push back against his is just sour grapes another example of Trumps Civility and respect ..Trump suggests he would like to test Elizabeth Warren for Native American heritage, "but we have to do it gently because we're in the MeToo generation."

Last edited by wdmso; 07-06-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #15
PaulS

He'll prob. come back and say he and Putin discussed nukes and Europe will now be nuclear free. His fan boys will celebrate this great achievement.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Trump is like the brutal soccer coach and tyrannical father figure, living vicariously through his tortured boys.

Earl Woods Sr., father of Tiger Woods. Bo Schembechler, legendary and beloved coach of winning era U. of Michigan football.

Sure he knows what makes a great soccer player and in theory a great team, yet knowing these things helps him achieve neither. His MO is belittling his boys, forcing them to practice until they are sore and beat physically and more so mentally. Come game time it's screaming obscenities from the sidelines at both his boys for not staying in their lanes, the opponents and the coaches; all this does little to make great soccer players or a great team. It only makes boys that can't wait for each game and practice to end, wishing daily they were old enough to quit, so they could move on to something they enjoy and make their own decisions.

Earl Woods Sr. Bo Schembechler.

Tiger Woods has been anything but hated. The winning U of M teams played the game as it was meant to be played and were mostly hated by their arch rival, Ohio State. And Tiger Woods loved his father and was grateful for his stern tutelage. All of Schembechler's players respected, even loved him.

And we're talking politics here. Civility, playing fair, in politics is an anomaly. The way the "game" is played in politics is dirty. If you consider the way Clinton and Obama and most any previous administration played the game was civil, then I think your notion of civility is a bit twisted--more like a big pretense and appearance of it (at times), while doing whatever it takes to win.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
He'll prob. come back and say he and Putin discussed nukes and Europe will now be nuclear free. His fan boys will celebrate this great achievement.
Get rid of the nukes and Europe won't be a threat to anyone so they'll actually be safer. You probably don't know this but most nukes are just sitting around getting old and if they get bumped, just a little bump and they'll go off killing m-i-l-l-i-o-n-s of people. It's going to save a lot of money not having to maintain stockpiles either.

You have to have a pretty good brain to put all this together which is why nobody has thought of it until Trump.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Tiger Woods has been anything but hated. The winning U of M teams played the game as it was meant to be played and were mostly hated by their arch rival, Ohio State. And Tiger Woods loved his father and was grateful for his stern tutelage. All of Schembechler's players respected, even loved him.

And we're talking politics here. Civility, playing fair, in politics is an anomaly. The way the "game" is played in politics is dirty. If you consider the way Clinton and Obama and most any previous administration played the game was civil, then I think your notion of civility is a bit twisted--more like a big pretense and appearance of it (at times), while doing whatever it takes to win.
Trump sounds a lot like Earl Woods, doesn't he
Woods served two combat tours during the Vietnam War, the first as an infantry officer, and the second with the elite United States Army Special Forces.[2]

After graduating from the Defense Information School and being promoted to lieutenant colonel, he was assigned as an instructor of Military Science & Tactics, (Army ROTC) at the City College of New York. He retired from active duty in 1974.[4]
Trump sounds a lot like Bo also
"If you were around him long enough, you’d hear him tell the story about his father, who was a firefighter. Bo’s favorite tale was about his dad not accepting a stolen copy of a civil service exam. Had Bo’s dad taken it, he would have eased on to a promotion. Alas, Bo’s dad rebuffed his friend’s offer only to see himself fail the exam and his friend pass after having cheated. Bo’s dad didn’t get the promotion. His buddy did. But, it didn’t matter to Bo’s pop. He knew he did the right thing. Young Bo observed all of this … and he never forgot the lesson."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

Me thinks you have your woods mixed up with your irons

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...reer/99964020/
Old 07-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
PaulS

President Trump just praised Putin in his latest rally while mocking an ailing Bush and his points of light. I guess he wants a bigger government instead of volunteerism. Where's the Republican to stand up and say "sir have you no decency"?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
President Trump just praised Putin in his latest rally while mocking an ailing Bush and his points of light. I guess he wants a bigger government instead of volunteerism. Where's the Republican to stand up and say "sir have you no decency"?
There are no real republicans left. Just fascists.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
And Trump is supposed to be polite, presidential, when ugly, slanderous depictions like this are constantly published by various fake news:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...3&d=1530803162
So when he takes a shot at Elizabeth Warren (she’s not the issue) and then makes fun of the me too movement, I suppose the media should ignore that? In a few short minutes in his latest rally he takes a shot at one of his peers (his MO), then fires a shot at our NATO allies, while saying Putin is just fine, all while making fun of the women rallying in the me too movement and the media and we should ignore that?

No shock that he just gave a Fox exec a post, even though he too was accused of inappropriate behavior; but DJT I’m sure is in good company with all those execs leaving or being let go for inappropriate behavior. Unfortunately we have nobody above him to give him his pink slip.

I guess you would agree with Trump when he says Kim is an honorable man, that he believes Putin never authorized any election meddling, that all Mexicans are rapists and gang members and the me too movement is a political ploy to get the women vote out to oust this clown. I’m also have no doubt you believe there is no global warming and the crazy weather the past few years is just a fluke.

I know you can’t stop posting to win every argument, but I’m not drinking the cool aid you and some others seem to be high on. Trump I’m certain pissed off many when cancelling all joint exercises with the South Koreans without getting anything other than what could be just another promise, can’t be any concerns with him meeting privately with Putin right🤮
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #23
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
There are no real republicans left. Just fascists.

Even in jest, statements like this will help Trump get 4 more years

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I dont have an issue with 2 super powers talking the issue is will we know what they Talked about
Agreed.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
spence

Anyone else notice the group of 8 House Republicans who met in Russia last week only to be summarily ridiculed by state media? Must have been a productive session. I hear they did go the the ballet.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
I don't either but have you ever seen the video of all of the Republicans and Fox News folks ridiculing Obama for saying he would meet with North Korean leader without conditions. 180 degree turn from recent and shows the hypocrisy of the right.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #27
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Does the media typically record such meetings?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #28
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Does the media typically record such meetings?
like most meeting they usually put out the agenda and talking points prior to the meeting ,, unless they say executive privilege .. then who knows

as of today Trump “I’ll talk to [Putin] about everything,” Trump said on Friday

Trump on Friday implied the U.S. could discuss recognizing Russia’s annexation of Crimea during the summit in Helsinki, thats odd
Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #29
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Even in jest, statements like this will help Trump get 4 more years
in Reality the GOP calling most on the left socialist and communist is what got trump elected ... most supporters dont know what either mean and clearly dont know what a fascists looks like or what it means
Old 07-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
in Reality the GOP calling most on the left socialist and communist is what got trump elected ... most supporters dont know what either mean and clearly dont know what a fascists looks like or what it means
For those who need a visual representation

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."